Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #121
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
It helps a lot, thanks. Maybe I can talk him into forgetting to try for the upgrade. We are not close to platinum and hate lines. Right now we have two family staterooms for three adults total so I'm not sure a one BR would be that much better. However, he loves the idea of ordering Palo delivered to our room. Perhaps we're best off just showing up at 11:30 as scheduled. We do hope to add another Palo dinner and have lunch in Parrot Cay. Decisions, decisions.
Well, we were on the June 2nd cruise which was the start of summer, so maybe the one you're on won't be as full & the upgrade line might be shorter. I didn't notice them holding any passengers back from entering the port due to check-in times. Honestly, we weren't even asked what our port check-in time was upon entering the port like they do in PC. So if you think you want to try for an upgrade, I'd go ahead and get their earlier than your scheduled time. Also, since not everyone needs to be there when you check in, maybe have 1 person go straight to the upgrade line while the other person booked in the same stateroom checks in. Then when the person is finished checking in, they can just get in w/ the person already in the upgrade line. But if you are worried about a lengthy upgrade line, then just arrive when planned and just get on and add another Palo (which I'm betting will be easy to do since they hold back 50% of the ressies for on board booking) & then have a nice lunch in Parrot Cay.

HTHs! & Happy sailing!
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #122
BCV23


Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18,926

Unfortunately, the second person in one cabin is non verbal so that won't work for us. Good idea though.

Would you take a one BR or two family cabins if it were you.

Interesting about Palo. We have had good luck booking it when we get on the ship on our first two cruises but had no idea that it was 50% held back.

Thanks for all the help.
__________________
BCV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #123
outahere
 
outahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Annual Passholder an hour from WDW
Posts: 5,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
However, he loves the idea of ordering Palo delivered to our room.
Just so you know............ only those guests staying in one of the Royal suites (cat R - 2 cabins on each ship) may order dinner from Palo in their room. None of the other Concierge cabins, on any of the ships, qualify for this perk. However, guests staying in a cat S (Magic and Wonder) or cat T (all 4 ships) suite can order dinner from the MDR menu. Cat V cabins (Dream and Fantasy) don't qualify for this perk.
__________________

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #124
BCV23


Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
Just so you know............ only those guests staying in one of the Royal suites (cat R - 2 cabins on each ship) may order dinner from Palo in their room. None of the other Concierge cabins, on any of the ships, qualify for this perk. However, guests staying in a cat S (Magic and Wonder) or cat T (all 4 ships) suite can order dinner from the MDR menu. Cat V cabins (Dream and Fantasy) don't qualify for this perk.
Thanks so much! That cinches it for us. We'll enjoy what we booked and not rush to the port. Thanks to both of you. Happy sailing.
__________________
BCV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #125
MrSanderz27
Mouseketeer
 
MrSanderz27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 78

I agree! Thanks for all the great info. I think we've decided to just stick with the verandah room we booked since we love the location we were able to pick. Upgrading to a Cat V doesn't seem to have enough perks and I guess I can check just for fun to see if any suites are available, but I'm thinking I'd rather just put the money towards more souvenirs and wine :-)
MrSanderz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #126
cjnix29
DIS Veteran
 
cjnix29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Michigan
Posts: 2,696

This thread is quite interesting. We just got off a 7 night Fantasy, and were able to score a 1BR upgrade from a VGT at the port for a great deal. We could afford to pay the rack rate price for that room, but I would NEVER do it. We have stayed concierge at several Disney resorts, and I wouldn't consider us, or anyone else actually, as steerage. We enjoyed the concierge a great deal, and hopefully didn't detract from the ambiance of the lounge, for those that paid full freight for their concierge room. We would have been fine with what we booked and paid for, and the upgrade was just an awesome score for us. Even better.....once we were in concierge, we were able to score a canceled cabana. Something we wouldn't have been able to get in our regular room. I'm very happy about the deal we got, and think the negative comments about upgraders are just sour grapes at paying more than they could have. But the flip side, they knew exactly what they were getting, we took a gamble. All that being said, may have ruined us for any other cruise! So good luck to those of you that are going to try for an upgrade. We had stayed at the MCO Hyatt, and were on the first bus to the port. We were second in line at the desk.
__________________
1986 First Trip, offsite at Grandma's. Parents stayed at MK for a whopping 4 hours!!
1998 Dixie Landings
2000 Wedding at Pavilion and WL!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #127
kuhltiffany
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: British Columbia :)
Posts: 584

Now you've got me curious...can you post the amount, or PM me if you want to keep it private? We're sailing during my birthday so I may be able to talk DH into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnix29 View Post
This thread is quite interesting. We just got off a 7 night Fantasy, and were able to score a 1BR upgrade from a VGT at the port for a great deal. We could afford to pay the rack rate price for that room, but I would NEVER do it. We have stayed concierge at several Disney resorts, and I wouldn't consider us, or anyone else actually, as steerage. We enjoyed the concierge a great deal, and hopefully didn't detract from the ambiance of the lounge, for those that paid full freight for their concierge room. We would have been fine with what we booked and paid for, and the upgrade was just an awesome score for us. Even better.....once we were in concierge, we were able to score a canceled cabana. Something we wouldn't have been able to get in our regular room. I'm very happy about the deal we got, and think the negative comments about upgraders are just sour grapes at paying more than they could have. But the flip side, they knew exactly what they were getting, we took a gamble. All that being said, may have ruined us for any other cruise! So good luck to those of you that are going to try for an upgrade. We had stayed at the MCO Hyatt, and were on the first bus to the port. We were second in line at the desk.
__________________
Dream May 2012, Fantasy November 2012, Fantasy March 8, 2014, waiting to try out the "new" Magic!





I've been BOO'ED by SallySkelington!!!
kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #128
arilvdc
Mouseketeer
 
arilvdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnix29 View Post
This thread is quite interesting. We just got off a 7 night Fantasy, and were able to score a 1BR upgrade from a VGT at the port for a great deal. We could afford to pay the rack rate price for that room, but I would NEVER do it. We have stayed concierge at several Disney resorts, and I wouldn't consider us, or anyone else actually, as steerage. We enjoyed the concierge a great deal, and hopefully didn't detract from the ambiance of the lounge, for those that paid full freight for their concierge room. We would have been fine with what we booked and paid for, and the upgrade was just an awesome score for us. Even better.....once we were in concierge, we were able to score a canceled cabana. Something we wouldn't have been able to get in our regular room. I'm very happy about the deal we got, and think the negative comments about upgraders are just sour grapes at paying more than they could have. But the flip side, they knew exactly what they were getting, we took a gamble. All that being said, may have ruined us for any other cruise! So good luck to those of you that are going to try for an upgrade. We had stayed at the MCO Hyatt, and were on the first bus to the port. We were second in line at the desk.
I'd also be interested in what the cost was as we're considering the same upgrade.
arilvdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #129
jennandcompany
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 77

We are sailing on the Fantasy in a one bedroom suite (T) on 9/15/12. We just booked about two weeks ago since my vacation schedule is usually last minute. I welcome all the upgraders.... I am sorry I took one of your cabins!!

Honestly, if you feel like you are being put out by upgraders, then you obviously shouldn't be traveling concierge. I welcome a full concierge compliment, let's enjoy the cruise and have a great time!!

PS... I am hoping for a royal suite cancellation... Both suites were booked at time of reservation.
jennandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #130
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran
 
sweetpee_1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennandcompany View Post
We are sailing on the Fantasy in a one bedroom suite (T) on 9/15/12. We just booked about two weeks ago since my vacation schedule is usually last minute. I welcome all the upgraders.... I am sorry I took one of your cabins!!

Honestly, if you feel like you are being put out by upgraders, then you obviously shouldn't be traveling concierge. I welcome a full concierge compliment, let's enjoy the cruise and have a great time!!

PS... I am hoping for a royal suite cancellation... Both suites were booked at time of reservation.
Can I hug you? You have an awesome perspective here. Definitely wish I was sailing with YOU!
__________________
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #131
drsg
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnix29 View Post
This thread is quite interesting. We just got off a 7 night Fantasy, and were able to score a 1BR upgrade from a VGT at the port for a great deal. We could afford to pay the rack rate price for that room, but I would NEVER do it. We have stayed concierge at several Disney resorts, and I wouldn't consider us, or anyone else actually, as steerage. We enjoyed the concierge a great deal, and hopefully didn't detract from the ambiance of the lounge, for those that paid full freight for their concierge room. We would have been fine with what we booked and paid for, and the upgrade was just an awesome score for us. Even better.....once we were in concierge, we were able to score a canceled cabana. Something we wouldn't have been able to get in our regular room. I'm very happy about the deal we got, and think the negative comments about upgraders are just sour grapes at paying more than they could have. But the flip side, they knew exactly what they were getting, we took a gamble. All that being said, may have ruined us for any other cruise! So good luck to those of you that are going to try for an upgrade. We had stayed at the MCO Hyatt, and were on the first bus to the port. We were second in line at the desk.

We too would love to have an idea of the cost of your upgrade. Can you share this with us all?
drsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #132
neenslovesdisney
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 186

FYI we inquired about an upgrade at the port simply because we ended up being the first ones there and we were curious! We had booked a 7 night Alaska with a VGT rate and they had a 1 bedroom available for an additional $2250. We declined since that's half the price of a future cruise for us and we had already been assigned a fantastic verandah room. Just wanted to let everyone know what we were quoted.
neenslovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #133
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenslovesdisney
FYI we inquired about an upgrade at the port simply because we ended up being the first ones there and we were curious! We had booked a 7 night Alaska with a VGT rate and they had a 1 bedroom available for an additional $2250. We declined since that's half the price of a future cruise for us and we had already been assigned a fantastic verandah room. Just wanted to let everyone know what we were quoted.
Wow. So much! There go my upgrade fantasies, lol.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #134
LUVMICKEY
DIS Veteran
 
LUVMICKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 10,323

Very interesting thread. I never knew you could even do this. I would like to attempt doing this myself. We are staying at the Hyatt and will be at the dock early, so I don't see we couldn't ask at least.
__________________
Michele

LUVMICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #135
bzss7x
Mr. Incredible went to LSU
 
bzss7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LSU! LSU! LSU!
Posts: 116

WARNING TO ALL UPGRADERS! We upgraded on the Fantasy to the concierge level this past July. We loved every second of it. We have already booked our next cruise - DCL Alaska - and booked concierge. After hearing about our last cruise, my neighbor made the remark, "Congratulations. You just upgraded every future vacation." She may be right. So beware. It could happen to you.
__________________
2004 Wonder 4 Nights to Bahamas
2009 Wonder 4 Nights to Bahamas
2012 Fantasy 7 Nights to Eastern Caribbean in Walt Disney Suite
2013 Wonder 7 Nights to Alaska

WDW - 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Disneyland - 2008
bzss7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: