Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #106
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats mom View Post
BTW, I'm surprised at some of the rates being quoted for port upgrades. We only checked once, and maybe rates are different for the DCL cruises sailing out of CA and/or for holiday sailings (ours was both) but we were quoted a much higher rate than I'm seeing people mention in this thread.
Some of the rates I'm seeing are based on 3, 4, or 5 night sailing upgrades and not 7 day sailing upgrade prices.

I paid $1050 on a 4 night cruise to go from a cat. 10 to a cat. 3 (which is now a cat. T). For a 7 night cruise I would expect that cost to be close to double that.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #107
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Some of the rates I'm seeing are based on 3, 4, or 5 night sailing upgrades and not 7 day sailing upgrade prices.

I paid $1050 on a 4 night cruise to go from a cat. 10 to a cat. 3 (which is now a cat. T). For a 7 night cruise I would expect that cost to be close to double that.
Agree.. alot depends on how many are in your party, when you are sailing and what the room rate was when you booked. We only had 2A and 1C and sail during the "off season" (when kids are in school) so it is a little less for us than larger parties during higher seasons..
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #108
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer1rick View Post
Agree.. alot depends on how many are in your party, when you are sailing and what the room rate was when you booked. We only had 2A and 1C and sail during the "off season" (when kids are in school) so it is a little less for us than larger parties during higher seasons..
Nope, party size does not matter when it comes to pricing upgrades at the port. Also, the price a cabin is booked doesn't come into play when the supervisor looks at their spread sheet to give the price, it's the same for everyone at the port.

Our upgrade that I gave the price for above was done on a Father's Day sailing for 3 people and then I paid the exact same price 2 weeks later for 2 people. My first sailing was booked about 10 months in advance with no discounts and the 2nd sailing was booked 1½ weeks before sailing using a FL resident discount. So I know for a fact that the initial price paid for a booking doesn't come into account when paying for a port upgrade.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #109
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran
 
sweetpee_1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,499

FWIW, in May we went on a 5-night Magic. We upgraded from what I believe was a 5b (not 100% on that but I think it was) to a 1-bdrm for $1200.
__________________
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
4/14 Disneyland!
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #110
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,157

crap...wish i had opened this thread prior to my cruise...save for next year...
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #111
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Some of the rates I'm seeing are based on 3, 4, or 5 night sailing upgrades and not 7 day sailing upgrade prices.
Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of the length of cruise thing. Maybe that does help explain it.

IIRC they wanted over $1,000 just to go from a Cat 7 to a Cat 4 and since we weren't making the jump to concierge (none available) and we already had a verandah, we didn't think it sounded like much of a bargain. It was a longer cruise though and I have no idea how much making that jump would have cost pre-cruise, maybe it was a steal... comparatively.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #112
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 26,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
Platinum and Concierge can check in earlier, they are not assigned specific times AFAIK. Not sure if the Port is open at 10 am, though.

Even Concierge can upgrade - they may want to go from a one bedroom to the Walt Disney Suite, for example...
Official port opening time is 11:00...they start letting people in the parking lot at about 10:40 on. Just to clarify...Platinum and Concierege do not get to check in any earlier than anybody else. They do get to BOARD earlier as they receive boarding #1/2 but they don't CHECK IN any earlier. And yes, Platinum and Concierge are not assigned a port arrival time. They can arrive at any time and board as soon as they are checked in (as long as boarding has started). Boarding usually starts about 11:30/11:45.

Remember...when you do your online check in you are picking a PORT ARRIVAL TIME not a CHECK IN TIME or BOARDING TIME.

MJ
__________________
30 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #113
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel
 
CarolAnnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 13,530

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyten View Post
So I may be confused but how are people checking in at 1000 and checking for upgrades when port arrival times don't start until 1100? Is my port arrival time more of a boarding time rather than a check in time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
Platinum and Concierge can check in earlier, they are not assigned specific times AFAIK. Not sure if the Port is open at 10 am, though.

Even Concierge can upgrade - they may want to go from a one bedroom to the Walt Disney Suite, for example...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Official port opening time is 11:00...they start letting people in the parking lot at about 10:40 on. Just to clarify...Platinum and Concierege do not get to check in any earlier than anybody else. They do get to BOARD earlier as they receive boarding #1/2 but they don't CHECK IN any earlier. And yes, Platinum and Concierge are not assigned a port arrival time. They can arrive at any time and board as soon as they are checked in (as long as boarding has started). Boarding usually starts about 11:30/11:45.

Remember...when you do your online check in you are picking a PORT ARRIVAL TIME not a CHECK IN TIME or BOARDING TIME.

MJ
Let me just explain what I was trying to say, lol.

When I do the online checkin, since I am Platinum I do not have to select a Port Arrival Time (I am pretty sure that was the case when I last cruised in April the system does not give me an option to choose one). So when the poster above asked " how are people checking in at 1000 and checking for upgrades when port arrival times don't start until 1100?" I was just trying to say that it could be some Platinum or Concierge since they don't have to select a port arrival time and may arrive early.

Sorry, was not trying to give out any incorrect info. Hope my explanation makes sense - something that I am not easily doing these days. Thanks for the clarification MJ!
__________________
CarolAnnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #114
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 26,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
Let me just explain what I was trying to say, lol.

When I do the online checkin, since I am Platinum I do not have to select a Port Arrival Time (I am pretty sure that was the case when I last cruised in April the system does not give me an option to choose one). So when the poster above asked " how are people checking in at 1000 and checking for upgrades when port arrival times don't start until 1100?" I was just trying to say that it could be some Platinum or Concierge since they don't have to select a port arrival time and may arrive early.

Sorry, was not trying to give out any incorrect info. Hope my explanation makes sense - something that I am not easily doing these days. Thanks for the clarification MJ!
No problem!!!
__________________
30 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #115
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!
 
DVCNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Johns Creek, GA, USA
Posts: 489

I find this thread fascinating. We booked concierge for a cruise in a few weeks. 3-night Dream in Cat V. It's just two of us, celebrating our 25th anniversary. It is a special occasion, so we decided to splurge. The cat V is plenty of room for us. We have one of the bump out rooms with the big veranda. We will be totally happy with that room, and can't wait! I should also mention that booking a cabana at 120 days was definitely a factor, since we are not yet platinum (but we're close!)

Having said that, I am an unapologetically competitive upgrader. I do it with airline reservations and hotel rooms. It is a game I love to play. If I get the upgrade, I win. If I don't, I try again next time.

Looking at the IGT/OGT/VGT rates available now, I suppose I should be upset that I paid 2 1/2 times as much for my room, and those folks have a decent chance of upgrading to a 1BR. I'm not upset though. I am excited that we have a great room, got a cabana, and were able to arrange dining with a huge party of people we met through the DIS board-- thanks to the shoreside concierge team. If I don't get an upgrade to a 1BR, it will still be an awesome cruise.

But I will have my track shoes laced up ready to beat everyone to the supervisors desk.
__________________
Addicted to cruising? I can stop anytime I want. I just don't want to.
13 cruises complete, 4 booked: 4/9/14 Wonder Bahamas, 6/30/14 Wonder Alaska, 1/16/15 Dream, 6/29/15 Magic Norway/Iceland/Faroe Islands
DVCNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #116
outahere
 
outahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: An hour from WDW
Posts: 5,305

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Official port opening time is 11:00...they start letting people in the parking lot at about 10:40 on.
It may vary from cruise to cruise, depending on a lot of different factors, but when we went on the Dream 5 night on 8/19 we dropped off our luggage with a porter about 10:20 and were allowed into the parking garage immediately after that. Since we are Platinum CC members we didn't have an assigned port arrival time and we were on the bridge leading from the garage to the terminal about 10:25, with about 20 people in front of us. At 10:30 they started letting people through security and we were checked in and at the supervisor's desk by about 10:45. Since we were lucky enough to be able to upgrade to a cat T, we were boarding by shortly after 11:30.

Not saying things happen that early all the time, but that was our experience.

Also..... I've seen some reports that Platinum members can't check in at the Concierge desk, but that was not the case when we checked in. The carpet at the Concierge check in area specifically welcomed Concierge and Platinum guests.
__________________

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #117
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,087

We're Platinum & at PC, LA & NYC we have always been able to check in @ the Concierge & Platinum desk. Just thought I'd post our experiences since some have said that Platinum haven't always been allowed to check in @ that location. It's never been an issue for us when checking in for the 7 cruises we've done as Platinum & hopefully that will still be the case when we check in @ the port in Galveston in a few weeks.

HTHs!
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #118
BCV23


Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18,916

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
We're Platinum & at PC, LA & NYC we have always been able to check in @ the Concierge & Platinum desk. Just thought I'd post our experiences since some have said that Platinum haven't always been allowed to check in @ that location. It's never been an issue for us when checking in for the 7 cruises we've done as Platinum & hopefully that will still be the case when we check in @ the port in Galveston in a few weeks.

HTHs!
Do you know how early the port opens at NYC? TIA.
__________________
BCV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #119
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
Do you know how early the port opens at NYC? TIA.
If I remember correctly, we caught a taxi from our hotel about 10:15-10:30 and were able to get into the port immediately and it was already pretty crowded, so we were thankful that we are Platinum b/c we didn't have to wait in the horrendous check-in lines. We checked in, went and got in the upgrade line & waited in that seemingly short line that actually was taking forever for about 5-10 minutes w/o moving, so we stepped out. Noticed Statue of Liberty Minnie & asked if she would be out on the ship at some point, they asked & said they thought she would be, but we decided to see her anyway. While in line, our boarding # was called, but we waited to see SoL Minnie (which was good b/c she NEVER was on the ship in her SoL costume during the cruise) then were able to head on in, get our boarding picture and get on the Magic. I think we were probably sorting out our Palo, etc. by 11:15-11:30 and then sitting down and having lunch right after that in Parrot Cay.

HTHs!
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #120
BCV23


Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18,916

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
We're Platinum & at PC, LA & NYC we have always been able to check in @ the Concierge & Platinum desk. Just thought I'd post our experiences since some have said that Platinum haven't always been allowed to check in @ that location. It's never been an issue for us when checking in for the 7 cruises we've done as Platinum & hopefully that will still be the case when we check in @ the port in Galveston in a few weeks.

HTHs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
If I remember correctly, we caught a taxi from our hotel about 10:15-10:30 and were able to get into the port immediately and it was already pretty crowded, so we were thankful that we are Platinum b/c we didn't have to wait in the horrendous check-in lines. We checked in, went and got in the upgrade line & waited in that seemingly short line that actually was taking forever for about 5-10 minutes w/o moving, so we stepped out. Noticed Statue of Liberty Minnie & asked if she would be out on the ship at some point, they asked & said they thought she would be, but we decided to see her anyway. While in line, our boarding # was called, but we waited to see SoL Minnie (which was good b/c she NEVER was on the ship in her SoL costume during the cruise) then were able to head on in, get our boarding picture and get on the Magic. I think we were probably sorting out our Palo, etc. by 11:15-11:30 and then sitting down and having lunch right after that in Parrot Cay.

HTHs!
It helps a lot, thanks. Maybe I can talk him into forgetting to try for the upgrade. We are not close to platinum and hate lines. Right now we have two family staterooms for three adults total so I'm not sure a one BR would be that much better. However, he loves the idea of ordering Palo delivered to our room. Perhaps we're best off just showing up at 11:30 as scheduled. We do hope to add another Palo dinner and have lunch in Parrot Cay. Decisions, decisions.
__________________
BCV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.