Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #91
erocrobro
DIS Veteran
 
erocrobro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
Equating folks upgrading (hoardes of them as you put it) as if they are coming out of steerage is rather snobby IMHO.
I agree!
__________________


erocrobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #92
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,710

Wow! I can't believe some of the comments here about people upgrading to concierge. Just wow.

Someone mentioned before that DCL wants to full the ships in anyway possible because they make money on what passengers spend on the cruise after they board (shopping, drinks, excursions, spa, etc.). This is why they offer those discounted fares. I imagine people in concierge are spending even more. They are bound to tip their room attendant more too. I'm just guessing. I've never sailed concierge before and, as of now, am not looking to upgrade to it.

I imagine most people upgrading aren't doing so to get to concierge. So those of you who would be potentially annoyed by people of lesser status traveling with you won't have to deal with them.
__________________
luv2sleep is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #93
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Yeah, interesting question. I see your point. At what level/category does it begin / end. I suppose my thoughts can be extended to all categories, and warranted. So no, not just suites. It should apply to all categories. The only thought is sometimes the cost between cats is a few hundred and the cost to suites is thousands. Actually, your right, the cost is irrelevant. My point is loyalty. I know there is no perfect solution. I was only trying to point out my observations and potential long term effects.

All upgrades should be processed by seniority. The most senior will get called first and they work their way down the list. If no one bites, port upgrades are available. So this means these GT folks will actually receive cat 7, 6, and 5's. Having said that I can see that may be time consuming, considering software probably performs pixie upgrades currently. It could still be done with software IMHO. Just my ideas.

I realize my plan has a few holes. Such as no port upgrades. Call for upgrades may cost slightly more than port upgrades. The Platinum's may be pleased, and that can only be good. etc., etc.

Just crazy thoughts tonight.
I can see a HUGE flaw with your idea.....the increased employment costs with having extra reservation agents to make all these calls. In the end, that's just going to increase the costs of the cruises which are already high in price.

DCL has been doing port upgrades since they began sailing, it's not a new thing they've just started. Many cruises don't have upgrades available.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #94
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Ok folks, this thread is close to being shut down. Remember name calling is not allowed and neither is fighting.

This is serving as a warning to all - infractions will be given and posts deleted if this type of posting continues.

thanks
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #95
mickeymousepuppy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
hordes of bargain basement concierge guests flooding the concierge lounge
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
it's going to drive me insane, i'm sure, knowing how little those people paid for using the same services i paid a king's ransom for....
"No one can make you feel anything without your consent"! Eleanor Roosevelt (subbing inferior with anything), which then would mean you are responsible for your own feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Wow! I can't believe some of the comments here about people upgrading to concierge. Just wow.
Nicely stated!

We did book concierge for our family's first cruise and I paid the outrageous full price to get it. This was our choice to ensure that we got the cabin of our choice. We are splurging for a celebration.

"A penny saved, is a penny earned". Benjamin Franklin, and my Nana

I am going bargain shopping at Filene's Basement before we sail and hope that I can find some outfits that make it clear I'm concierge cruiser at full cost. I hope my mannerism don't give me away.

I hope this post is appropriate. I think I stayed with in the guide lines.
mickeymousepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #96
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran
 
cruisecrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill
I can see a HUGE flaw with your idea.....the increased employment costs with having extra reservation agents to make all these calls. In the end, that's just going to increase the costs of the cruises which are already high in price.

DCL has been doing port upgrades since they began sailing, it's not a new thing they've just started. Many cruises don't have upgrades available.
They could do emails or something automated rather than phone calls. I suppose there may already be automated pixie dust upgrades?
__________________
Lorelei (Lori); DH, Ben/KetchAggie; DS7, Chris (gluten); DD5, Kylee(dairy)
My Trip Reports can be found on my blog:
Adventures in the Great Wide Somewhere (My Blog on all things DCL, Food Allergy and Pixie Dust Related)
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #97
clukas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 211

faulty logic

One thing that seems to be getting lost in these comparisons is that the people upgrading have already paid for their cruise and they are paying, for instance, and extra $1,000 or whatever on top of what they paid for their original cabin. People are not paying 1/4 of the concierge price, they pay 1/4 (or some fraction) of the DIFFERENCE in price.

I am booked in a 5C verandah on the PC cruise in December (2A, 2C). THe cost of the 5C cabing was about $8,000. I am going to look into upgrading to concierge at the port. The cost of a one bedroom suite is now $14,000. That is a difference of $6,000, I am curious what the cost to upgrade at the port will be. I am assuming about $2,000 - $3,000, so if I upgrade that would put my cost at $10,000 - $11,000, certainly not 1/4 of the original suite cost ($14,000). It would be a 20% - 30% discount, not 75% as the OP suggested.

It's the same way with airlines. Prices are changed based on demand, you can wait and see if the price goes down, but the price may go up or there may be no seats available. You book early for piece of mind and you pay what the going rate is.

The same could be said for people booking IGT, OGT, or VGT rates. Should the other passengers be upset that DCL offered a discounted rate after the paid in full date? The poeple booking the discounted rate will often get higher category cabins than those who booked early and paid the going rate.

DCL will take the money paid for the upgrade because that goes to the bottom line. There are no more passengers on the ship, but they already made some money. We all understand that is what they try and do, make as much money as possible from each passenger.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer1rick View Post
There will always be alot of people to reserve those rooms at full price. Many need the benefit of being able to book at the 120 day point, many don't want to take the chance of not getting into concierge, and others can pay the price and enjoy the difference in quality.

I bet if you look at the book rate for concierge as compared to normal verandah rooms on most cruises, the rate of occupancy is about the same. Many people that upgrmoade at port don't just upgrade to concierge, in fact, most upgrade to a verandah room from a oceanview, etc.

I also don't consider those that upgrade at port "bottom feeders"... just smart. If given the opportunity to upgrade at a small percentage of the cost, most rational people would take advantage of the opportunity. Disney makes more money and guests are happier for getting a better room at a reduced rate. Wouldn't you if you could?
__________________

Last edited by clukas; 09-01-2012 at 06:35 PM.
clukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #98
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by clukas View Post
One thing that seems to be getting lost in these comparisons is that the people upgrading have already paid for their cruise and they are paying, for instance, and extra $1,000 or whatever on top of what they paid for their original cabin. People are not paying 1/4 of the concierge price, they pay 1/4 (or some fraction) of the DIFFERENCE in price.

I am booked in a 5C verandah on the PC cruise in December (2A, 2C). THe cost of the 5C cabing was about $8,000. I am going to look into upgrading to concierge at the port. The cost of a one bedroom suite is now $14,000. That is a difference of $6,000, I am curious what the cost to upgrade at the port will be. I am assuming about $2,000 - $3,000, so if I upgrade that would put my cost at $10,000 - $11,000, certainly not 1/4 of the original suite cost ($14,000). It would be a 20% - 30% discount, not 75% as the OP suggested.

It's the same way with airlines. Prices are changed based on demand, you can wait and see if the price goes down, but the price may go up or there may be no seats available. You book early for piece of mind and you pay what the going rate is.

The same could be said for people booking IGT, OGT, or VGR rates. Should the other passengers be upset that DCL offered a discounted rate after the paid in full date? The poeple booking the discounted rate will often get higher category cabins than those who booked early and paid the going rate.

DCL will take the money paid for the upgrade because that goes to the bottom line. There are no more passengers on the ship, but they already made some money. We all understand that is what they try and do, make as much money as possible from each passenger.
From my experience it shouldn't be nearly $2,000 for you especially if you just want to go to a concierge stateroom v. a 1BR or Royal. Of course it will depend on the price of the rooms when you booked.. but given the cost of your 5C , I am guessing you are on the higher end of the spectrum. We have paid as little as $400 (for 2A, 1C) for a concierge stateroom upgrade from an 8A and as much as $900 for a 1BR from a 11A.
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #99
Maskesa
Earning My Ears
 
Maskesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 31

What a long thread and some bad feelings. A room is a room.. I am there to enjoy the cruise and all it has to offer. The cabin is some where to rest my head and get washed and changed !!! If you feel that strongly about a cabin you must be on the wrong holiday. There is so much more to a cruise than your cabin cat ! Lighten up and enjoy . Lifes too short )
Maskesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #100
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer1rick
From my experience it shouldn't be nearly $2,000 for you especially if you just want to go to a concierge stateroom v. a 1BR or Royal. Of course it will depend on the price of the rooms when you booked.. but given the cost of your 5C , I am guessing you are on the higher end of the spectrum. We have paid as little as $400 (for 2A, 1C) for a concierge stateroom upgrade from an 8A and as much as $900 for a 1BR from a 11A.
Nice to know the upgrade from an 11A to concierge isn't that much.
__________________
luv2sleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #101
clukas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer1rick View Post
From my experience it shouldn't be nearly $2,000 for you especially if you just want to go to a concierge stateroom v. a 1BR or Royal. Of course it will depend on the price of the rooms when you booked.. but given the cost of your 5C , I am guessing you are on the higher end of the spectrum. We have paid as little as $400 (for 2A, 1C) for a concierge stateroom upgrade from an 8A and as much as $900 for a 1BR from a 11A.

My upcoming cruise is a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. It has already been heavily discounted from the opening price. $8000 for a verandah is as low as you can go (I actually had a 25% discount certificate and booked on board for another 10% off. I actually paid $5700 but I didn't want to confuse the issue). If I can get an upgrade for under $2000 I think it would be a great deal. (but maybe some of the concierge guests would be upset at me).

They also sole IGTs on this cruise, would have been $4600 for all 4.
__________________
clukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #102
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by clukas View Post
My upcoming cruise is a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. It has already been heavily discounted from the opening price. $8000 for a verandah is as low as you can go (I actually had a 25% discount certificate and booked on board for another 10% off. I actually paid $5700 but I didn't want to confuse the issue). If I can get an upgrade for under $2000 I think it would be a great deal. (but maybe some of the concierge guests would be upset at me).

They also sole IGTs on this cruise, would have been $4600 for all 4.
You're right, it will probably be a little more for a 14 day cruise. The ones I referenced were 7 day cruises.. I would love to do a PC cruise, but can't justify taking my DS10 out of school for two weeks. Maybe we will be able to do it in a few years when he gets to college... Good luck!
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #103
hckyten
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mass.
Posts: 39

So I may be confused but how are people checking in at 1000 and checking for upgrades when port arrival times don't start until 1100? Is my port arrival time more of a boarding time rather than a check in time?
hckyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #104
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel
 
CarolAnnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 13,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyten View Post
So I may be confused but how are people checking in at 1000 and checking for upgrades when port arrival times don't start until 1100? Is my port arrival time more of a boarding time rather than a check in time?
Platinum and Concierge can check in earlier, they are not assigned specific times AFAIK. Not sure if the Port is open at 10 am, though.

Even Concierge can upgrade - they may want to go from a one bedroom to the Walt Disney Suite, for example...
__________________
CarolAnnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #105
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post

<snip>

Actually this is an interesting potential poll. Who shows up early at port for upgrades? I'm pretty confident it is not gold and platinum.

<snip>

I feel DCL is devaluing their product with port upgrades. Think about. If DCL announced Wednesday no more port upgrades imagine how much cash they would receive within that month.

Imagine how few folks would be in line at the terminal at 10:30. JMHO

I know the local Fire Marshall would be pleased.

I'm curious about why you think it's not gold and platinum cruisers trying to upgrade at the port? Because I would guess the opposite.

In my experience it IS experienced cruisers, or maybe research junkies, who are at the port early trying to upgrade.

Also, if DCL announced there would be no more port upgrades, I don't see that automatically equating higher profits. In fact, again I would guess the opposite.

The advice often given around here is to book a stateroom category you will be happy with and then consider it a bonus if you're able to get an upgrade to something nicer for a good price at the port.

I think it's more likely that the majority of people would stick with what they already have booked than flood the phones upgrading at full price if port upgrades were no longer offered. JMHO though.



BTW, I'm surprised at some of the rates being quoted for port upgrades. We only checked once, and maybe rates are different for the DCL cruises sailing out of CA and/or for holiday sailings (ours was both) but we were quoted a much higher rate than I'm seeing people mention in this thread.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: