Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #76
Nikki'sMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post

The only way to tell online would be to start a "dummy" booking on the DCL web site and look at what categories are available. You don't need to wait until you get to the port. When we went on the 8/19 cruise I checked every few days and saw that many categories were still open, right up until 3 days prior to sailing. That's why we went to the port early and were able to upgrade to a cat T.
How many cat t's were available up to 3 days prior??? just curious... Thanks

me( 45) dh(48) dd(6)
Nikki'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #77
ttbell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEGrant View Post
Ok. Booked VGT. Assigned 5B. First one to supervisor desk. The list showed a bunch of open rooms. She quoted me $560 to upgrade to concierge family stateroom. $960 to a 1 bedroom. I took the 1 bedroom. Asked for 12000. The front one.

Between the VGT and the port upgrade, saved over 50% vs booking this room outright.

Good luck to other upgraders.
Wow, that's great! We'll be trying for one Sept 22nd...keeping our fingers crossed!
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #78
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Wow, it appears lots of upgrades at port are available to concierge lately.
Especially on these short Dream sailings.

I wonder how the folks who actually book these cabins in advance feel about all these port upgrades. DCL should be careful here. NCL learned, and adjusted their policy. I see it coming to DCL. These cabins IMHO should be offered to the most platinum members as up-sales over the phone 3 - 15 days out from sail date. If they don't bite work your way down the loyalty ladder. The port at 10:30 is getting crowded again with "upgraders". JMHO
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #79
WinstonC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412

I wonder how the folks who actually book these cabins in advance feel about all these port upgrades. DCL should be careful here. NCL learned, and adjusted their policy. I see it coming to DCL. These cabins IMHO should be offered to the most platinum members as up-sales over the phone 3 - 15 days out from sail date. If they don't bite work your way down the loyalty ladder. The port at 10:30 is getting crowded again with "upgraders". JMHO
Good point. I looked at our cruise (9/30 Dream) today, and there is still a healthy supply of Concierge rooms available. I booked ours over a year ago, and I'm ok with the price, but I can see others being upset.
WinstonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #80
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Is this just for suites?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #81
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Is this just for suites?
Yeah, interesting question. I see your point. At what level/category does it begin / end. I suppose my thoughts can be extended to all categories, and warranted. So no, not just suites. It should apply to all categories. The only thought is sometimes the cost between cats is a few hundred and the cost to suites is thousands. Actually, your right, the cost is irrelevant. My point is loyalty. I know there is no perfect solution. I was only trying to point out my observations and potential long term effects.

All upgrades should be processed by seniority. The most senior will get called first and they work their way down the list. If no one bites, port upgrades are available. So this means these GT folks will actually receive cat 7, 6, and 5's. Having said that I can see that may be time consuming, considering software probably performs pixie upgrades currently. It could still be done with software IMHO. Just my ideas.

I realize my plan has a few holes. Such as no port upgrades. Call for upgrades may cost slightly more than port upgrades. The Platinum's may be pleased, and that can only be good. etc., etc.

Just crazy thoughts tonight.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #82
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, interesting question. I see your point. At what level/category does it begin / end. I suppose my thoughts can be extended to all categories, and warranted. So no, not just suites. It should apply to all categories. The only thought is sometimes the cost between cats is a few hundred and the cost to suites is thousands. Actually, your right, the cost is irrelevant. My point is loyalty. I know there is no perfect solution. I was only trying to point out my observations and potential long term effects.

All upgrades should be processed by seniority. The most senior will get called first and they work their way down the list. If no one bites, port upgrades are available. So this means these GT folks will actually receive cat 7, 6, and 5's. Having said that I can see that may be time consuming, considering software probably performs pixie upgrades currently. It could still be done with software IMHO. Just my ideas.

I realize my plan has a few holes. Such as no port upgrades. Call for upgrades may cost slightly more than port upgrades. The Platinum's may be pleased, and that can only be good. etc., etc.

Just crazy thoughts tonight.
That's how NCL does it? That does not sound appealing to me.I like the way they do it now. I was actually hoping it would be limited to suites. This makes other upgrades still available to all types of people who cruise DCL. I can tell you buy being able to upgrade at port to a verandah on my first cruise caused Disnsey to get more $$ out of me on my second. I'm booked in a verandah category already. I canceled and rebooked to get the VGT rate bit I would have done what ever I could to get myself on a verandah pre cruise and if I couldn't I would have tried at port. If they limited port upgrades and pixie dust upgrades to platinums I'd be discouraged to sail with Disney again.

I personally think they should add an additional booking discount for platinum cruisers or people in their 20+ cruise or who have sailed x amount of days. That way other people still have other upgrade opportunities open to them.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #83
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
That's how NCL does it?
NCL is a bit more random. They do not follow my suggested hierarchy consistently. NCL often offers non suite bookings, suite upgrades over the phone, at good rates, near sailing, to try to "retain them" as life long suite guests. They offer all other upgrades too fwiw.
In other words, once you sail their suites you will always book them in the future. It apparently is working well for them. I feel it's a brilliant tactic/marketing.

Your theory could still exist. If others upgrade, everyone moves up who wishes to do so. NCL's or my theory would not preclude your objective.

Many Platinum members and repeat cruises don't want the more
expensive cabins for one reason or another especially at retail.
However if they are offered pre-cruise at a reasonable level, a bit above port price then ......

Actually this is an interesting potential poll. Who shows up early at port for upgrades? I'm pretty confident it is not gold and platinum.

I still understand your point I think. Port upgrades are the least expensive and folks love them, and can potentially be offered an upgraded cabin, as discussed. That may permanently entice them to repeatedly rebook said cabin category if satisfied with the upgrade.

This same concept exists with said theory IMO

I feel DCL is devaluing their product with port upgrades. Think about. If DCL announced Wednesday no more port upgrades imagine how much cash they would receive within that month.

Imagine how few folks would be in line at the terminal at 10:30. JMHO

I know the local Fire Marshall would be pleased.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #84
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonC View Post
Good point. I looked at our cruise (9/30 Dream) today, and there is still a healthy supply of Concierge rooms available. I booked ours over a year ago, and I'm ok with the price, but I can see others being upset.

concierge on my upcoming cruise in october is half empty, so i know there are going to be lots and lots of port upgrades- as in half of the cabins..

it's going to drive me insane, i'm sure, knowing how little those people paid for using the same services i paid a king's ransom for...

and if they are very demanding passengers, i'll be even more annoyed...

it definitely has the potential to ruin my cruise...
and totally turn me off to DCL.....

i don't understand why they have to fill concierge at the port..

whoever is on the ship is on the ship...
it's not as if they're making room for more passengers...

they're just shifting people around... and by doing this, they're making it that much more unpleasant for me - someone who paid their outrageously expensive concierge rates...

i certainly won't be doing it again..
i could have booked concierge for much less money on many other excellent cruise lines...
i won't make the same mistake again...
Old 09-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #85
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
it definitely has the potential to ruin my cruise...
and totally turn me off to DCL.....
Totally understand your frustration and something I wrestled with until I learned the tricks.

As platinum, we no longer "book" concierge. We book a stateroom that we enjoy. As platinum, we are able to book everything at the 120 day window anyway.

When we get to the port, we ask about the upgrade. If we get it great, if we don't we still have a room we love.

Of the 10 times since we learned the trick, we have been able to upgrade on 8 of them. It saved us anywhere from $1500-$5000 per cruise doing it this way.

Before I learned this new way of booking, I would just remember that I felt the cost was worth what I paid when I booked and if others got a better rate, good for them, but I couldn't do anything about it, so why let that spoil my cruise?
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #86
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

i just checked my cruise in october, more than half of the concierge cabins are still left..

there are 11 one bedrooms still left on our cruise (only 7 have been booked so far, including mine)

category V has about 12 cabins still available, including one of the deck 12 bump outs (only 8 cabins have been booked so far)...

i think DCL may be shooting itself in the foot...
people will wait for the cheap port upgrades instead of paying more in advance..
and then people like me who paid a lot in advance will be annoyed by the hordes of bargain basement concierge guests flooding the concierge lounge and we'll see the error of our ways and switch to a different cruise line..

i've certainly learned my lesson....
Old 09-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #87
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki'sMommy View Post
How many cat t's were available up to 3 days prior??? just curious... Thanks
There were at least 8 cat T cabins available (and at least 8 cat V), even when we checked on the upgrade at the port. According to the Concierge staff, they had 14 families upgrade at the port and still had 4 open Concierge cabins (not sure what categories).

Quote:

they're just shifting people around... and by doing this, they're making it that much more unpleasant for me - someone who paid their outrageously expensive concierge rates...

Almost every category on the ship was available for upgrades at the port when we sailed two weeks ago. Because we moved up, it freed up our original cabin for someone else to upgrade into. DCL made money on both upgrades, and they are a business focused on "the bottom line".

Quote:
and then people like me who paid a lot in advance will be annoyed by the hordes of bargain basement concierge guests flooding the concierge lounge and we'll see the error of our ways and switch to a different cruise line..
Sorry, but I don't consider myself a "bargain basement concierge guest". We have sailed in a Concierge cabin, at full price, on 10 out of 12 DCL cruises. This is the first time we have ever upgraded at the port and we took the upgrade just because it was available. Every guest we encountered in the lounge was very nice and we had some interesting conversations with many of them. I seriously doubt you will be able to distinguish those who upgraded, from those who paid full price (unless you have the audacity to ask).

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007

Last edited by outahere; 09-01-2012 at 12:59 PM.
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #88
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
Almost every category on the ship was available for upgrades at the port when we sailed two weeks ago. Because we moved up, it freed up our original cabin for someone else to upgrade into. DCL made money on both upgrades, and they are a business focused on "the bottom line".
eventually, no one will reserve concierge in advance and DCL will make a lot less money....the bottom line will know the difference..

people will hold off, and instead of paying $7,000 in advance (as on my cruise), they'll wait for the port and upgrade for say $1000...

even if that room frees up for another upgrade, they're not going to make that $6000 difference..

they're shooting themselves in the foot..

and yes, you are paying a bargain basement price for that service...

how else would you define paying less than a 1/4 of the price of a room other than paying a bargain basement price?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #89
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Equating folks upgrading (hoardes of them as you put it) as if they are coming out of steerage is rather snobby IMHO.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #90
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
eventually, no one will reserve concierge in advance and DCL will make a lot less money....the bottom line will know the difference..
There will always be alot of people to reserve those rooms at full price. Many need the benefit of being able to book at the 120 day point, many don't want to take the chance of not getting into concierge, and others can pay the price and enjoy the difference in quality.

I bet if you look at the book rate for concierge as compared to normal verandah rooms on most cruises, the rate of occupancy is about the same. Many people that upgrade at port don't just upgrade to concierge, in fact, most upgrade to a verandah room from a oceanview, etc.

I also don't consider those that upgrade at port "bottom feeders"... just smart. If given the opportunity to upgrade at a small percentage of the cost, most rational people would take advantage of the opportunity. Disney makes more money and guests are happier for getting a better room at a reduced rate. Wouldn't you if you could?
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: