Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #241
Fosterlv
His Dreams His Magic "Walt"

Upgrade Advice

Experience Help Needed:

Two really quick questions.

What time do you recomend getting to the Terminal? "we are sailing out of LA"

2nd question - Should we not check in our luggae until after we find out about the option of upgrading?

Thank you,

Fosterlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #242
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

If you get an upgrade they will take care of getting your bags to the new room

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #243
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Upgrading at Port (L.A.)

We sere on the second Hawai'i cruise (14 nights) in October out of Los Angeles. We had thought we'd try an inside, horizontal cabin (we've always sailed in either verandas or concierge). We had the earliest check-in time.

After checking in completely (luggage was taken earlier with our assigned cabin information), we then walked down to the Supervisor's Desk to check on upgrades. There weren't a lot, but there was an upgrade to a Family Stateroom w/verandah (the sightly larger stateroom to accommodate the Murphy-style bed for the 5th person).

It was a bit more than we had told ourselves we would do ($1330), but a good price for such a long cruise - about $100/night. By the time we were allowed to enter our room, things had been moved into the new cabin. (Okay, some were duplicates and the originals also arrived...)

So we still don't know how we would handle an inside cabin, but we're really glad we were able to upgrade at the port!

Mickey Mouse Club Member No. 37,399 1955 * DL/DLR 1957 * DVC 2005 * DCL 2006 * WDW 2006 - Disneyland was just down the road....
m4travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #244
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4travel
We sere on the second Hawai'i cruise (14 nights) in October out of Los Angeles. We had thought we'd try an inside, horizontal cabin (we've always sailed in either verandas or concierge). We had the earliest check-in time.

After checking in completely (luggage was taken earlier with our assigned cabin information), we then walked down to the Supervisor's Desk to check on upgrades. There weren't a lot, but there was an upgrade to a Family Stateroom w/verandah (the sightly larger stateroom to accommodate the Murphy-style bed for the 5th person).

It was a bit more than we had told ourselves we would do ($1330), but a good price for such a long cruise - about $100/night. By the time we were allowed to enter our room, things had been moved into the new cabin. (Okay, some were duplicates and the originals also arrived...)

So we still don't know how we would handle an inside cabin, but we're really glad we were able to upgrade at the port!
I had wondered about how much that would be. I was on this cruise too and a friend of mine (same cruise) went from a 9C to a 5B for about $450.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #245
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Upgrade

We went from an 11B to a $-something (Deck 8). They have a chart and based on what you booked related to where you're going, the price is set. There had been a Cat 3 (1-bedroom on the Wonder), but the folks two ahead of us grabbed it. Probably out of our price range, anyway.

Mickey Mouse Club Member No. 37,399 1955 * DL/DLR 1957 * DVC 2005 * DCL 2006 * WDW 2006 - Disneyland was just down the road....
m4travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #246
ladybug23
Mouseketeer

Anyone have experience upgrading from a 9B to a verandah (any verandah-not interested in getting addicted to concierge) at the port? We are on a 7 night eastern next week and was wondering if anyone had any idea on what the cost might be on that kind of an upgrade. I have wanted a verandah since I originally booked but the cost difference has always been $1000 until we reached the 90 day window.

Since the 90 window all of the VGT rooms have been LESS money than the price we paid for the large porthole. I have inquired several times and was told I had to cancel WITH penalties and rebook to get the verandah. If I did that the trip would cost me double. The cruise is clearly not sold out and has a ton of rooms available.

I even expressed my displeasure with guest services and got absolutely no where. We have a total of 29 people sailing in 8 rooms with portholes and DCL hasn't been willing to work with us at all. I am frustrated as I just wanted them to work something out for a verandah. I wasn't even asking for free - just not the $1000 per room more that the website keeps stating for pick your own room. I don't understand why DCL is not willing to work with me on this.

Bottom line - in this case - it didn't pay to book 2 years in advance. We booked 12/6/10 for this 2012 cruise. In the end all we have is our original rooms at higher prices than the verandahs and the priveledge of bragging that we booked so early. We did get OBC, but that could have easily been offset by the fact that the VGT rooms were less once we were inside the 90 day window.

I just want a verandah........
DCL-4 night Bahama 11/6/2011
DCL-7 night Eastern Carribean 12/1/2012, 11/2/2013

[/url]
ladybug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #247
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug23
Anyone have experience upgrading from a 9B to a verandah (any verandah-not interested in getting addicted to concierge) at the port? We are on a 7 night eastern next week and was wondering if anyone had any idea on what the cost might be on that kind of an upgrade. I have wanted a verandah since I originally booked but the cost difference has always been $1000 until we reached the 90 day window.

Since the 90 window all of the VGT rooms have been LESS money than the price we paid for the large porthole. I have inquired several times and was told I had to cancel WITH penalties and rebook to get the verandah. If I did that the trip would cost me double. The cruise is clearly not sold out and has a ton of rooms available.

I even expressed my displeasure with guest services and got absolutely no where. We have a total of 29 people sailing in 8 rooms with portholes and DCL hasn't been willing to work with us at all. I am frustrated as I just wanted them to work something out for a verandah. I wasn't even asking for free - just not the $1000 per room more that the website keeps stating for pick your own room. I don't understand why DCL is not willing to work with me on this.

Bottom line - in this case - it didn't pay to book 2 years in advance. We booked 12/6/10 for this 2012 cruise. In the end all we have is our original rooms at higher prices than the verandahs and the priveledge of bragging that we booked so early. We did get OBC, but that could have easily been offset by the fact that the VGT rooms were less once we were inside the 90 day window.

I just want a verandah........
I went from a 9B to a 4A for $475 on a 7 day. A friend of mine went from a 9C to a 5B for almost $500 on a 14 day.

I had a 9C booked and after the PIF date the VGT came out. I canceled, lost my deposit and rebooked the VGT. I ended up in a 7A that I loved. Totally worth it.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #248
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Oceanview to verandah on a 7 night (at port)....something in the range of $400-500 depending on dates and availability as well as the exact categories involved. It could be as low as $350 if you are lucky, but I wouldn't expect that.

Don't worry about your luggage with an upgrade--it will be handled for you. If it isn't there when you meet your stateroom host, make sure he knows your OLD cabin number--he'll get it to you.

Last edited by kcashner; 11-23-2012 at 07:30 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #249
ladybug23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I went from a 9B to a 4A for $475 on a 7 day. A friend of mine went from a 9C to a 5B for almost $500 on a 14 day.

I had a 9C booked and after the PIF date the VGT came out. I canceled, lost my deposit and rebooked the VGT. I ended up in a 7A that I loved. Totally worth it.
Thanks for the advice. The main reason I did not cancel and rebook was because it would have cost me a lot. I would have lost at least $1000. I felt that was just a little steep when that was the price difference to begin with between the porthole room and the verandah room.

I guess what bothered me most about the customer service lack of willingness to do anything is that at 45 days people on our same cruise were able to change their reservation to get the Florida resident rate as well as the DVC rate for the cruise. I guess I just don't feel like there is a whole lot of difference with giving those folks these discounts but not willing to work some kind of MAGIC for me. Clearly they were willing to pay the price they paid for the category they got - so why are they allowed to get a refund or better deal and not me?

I am getting past it - and will not let this get in my way of having fun - but I am clearly much more educated now on how to play this game better!!! I will be seriously reconsidering how I book my future cruises that is for sure!
DCL-4 night Bahama 11/6/2011
DCL-7 night Eastern Carribean 12/1/2012, 11/2/2013

[/url]
ladybug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #250
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug23

Thanks for the advice. The main reason I did not cancel and rebook was because it would have cost me a lot. I would have lost at least $1000. I felt that was just a little steep when that was the price difference to begin with between the porthole room and the verandah room.

I guess what bothered me most about the customer service lack of willingness to do anything is that at 45 days people on our same cruise were able to change their reservation to get the Florida resident rate as well as the DVC rate for the cruise. I guess I just don't feel like there is a whole lot of difference with giving those folks these discounts but not willing to work some kind of MAGIC for me. Clearly they were willing to pay the price they paid for the category they got - so why are they allowed to get a refund or better deal and not me?

I am getting past it - and will not let this get in my way of having fun - but I am clearly much more educated now on how to play this game better!!! I will be seriously reconsidering how I book my future cruises that is for sure!
Are you saying that people who are paid in full are allowed to switch to the FL resident or DVC discount rate and get a refund?

Yes the whole release of a discount after the PIF date and trapping those who have already paid in full is frustrating. I wish they'd give a refund in those circumstances too. However, other lines do this. I've been watching the NYE 2 week Hawaii cruise on Pribcess and they also offer a discounted rate that's applicable to new bookings only.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #251
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Re: FL resident rates applied after PIF date - yes. We applied the rate to our upcoming "Christmas" cruise on Dec 2.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #252
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809
Re: FL resident rates applied after PIF date - yes. We applied the rate to our upcoming "Christmas" cruise on Dec 2.
Hummm that doesn't seem fair then, huh? What would be the reason behind letting certain groups of people get a discount but not others?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:33 AM   #253
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Hummm that doesn't seem fair then, huh? What would be the reason behind letting certain groups of people get a discount but not others?
The *GT rates are specifically for "new bookings only". The DVC bookings and FL rates (as well as military rates) do not have the "new bookings only" description attached to them.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #254
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren

The *GT rates are specifically for "new bookings only". The DVC bookings and FL rates (as well as military rates) do not have the "new bookings only" description attached to them.
Yeah. Still would be nice if "old bookings" could get the discount too. Oh well. Not the way it works.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #255
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah. Still would be nice if "old bookings" could get the discount too. Oh well. Not the way it works.
It used to work this way--if a price reduction became available on the same cruise and category that I had booked, if I or my TA caught it and called DCL, the new price would be applied. It was NOT automatic; the guest had to catch it and request it. I think it was 2009 or 2010 when that was stopped on "normal" reservations for price reductions after the penalty date (they will do price adjustments before the penalty date).

Fl res and DVC specials so far are still allowing adjustments after the penalty date. Only DCL might know if that will continue.

I totally agree that with the *gt specials, advanced booking becomes much less attractive for those who have flexibility in their dates.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: