Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #196
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,106

We were able to port upgrade on the Sept. 22nd Magic sailing out of Galveston. It was the first sailing out of Galveston for the Magic and there was quite a bit of availability for upgrades when we got to the desk. We booked a 5B GTY and were assigned a 5A, so our upgrade was based on the 5B pricing. We wanted to get a 1-bedroom suite and I had checked availability on-line 3 days prior to our sailing before the cruise was no longer available on the DCL site. @ the 3 Day mark, there were three 1-bedrooms open. When we got to the desk, 2 were still open for upgrade. For us, the upgrade price was 50% off of what we would have had to pay to upgrade it on-line @ 3 days prior to our sailing. We thought it was a good deal, so we took it. We were also told that we could have gotten a 2-bedroom or either the Walt or Roy Royal suites, as both of those were available as well. Since it was just 2 of us, we opted to just do the 1-bedroom as we'd originally planned. I do know that someone must've upgraded to the Walt b/c we saw people come out of that Royal Suite one afternoon.

Hope this info helps!
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #197
ImDMous
DIS Veteran
 
ImDMous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 1,437

We did our first port upgrade this time around for the Sept 23 Pixar cruise. We had booked an IGT so we wanted to see if we could get an outside. We had a figure in our head and decided not to go over. Well, she told us we could get an outside on deck 2 for less than $200 so we gave her our price and worked backwards. We ended up with an awesome navigator's veranda for $375. It was the first on deck 6 starboard so had 3/4 of a regular veranda wall and only a tiny bit enclosed. I think someone before us had upgraded from it and that was the only reason why it was available, but it seemed they had tons of rooms left. Our second seating for dinner was half empty every night. We checked in about 11 and there was only 1 person in line at the supervisors desk. I think it got a lot longer later.
__________________
But I don't want to go among MAD people!




DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #198
Daisy'sMama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 174

So, I have a question. We booked our first cruise - 3 night next Feb on the Dream. For this trip, all I could afford was Cat11C GTY. We are spending a week at WDW afterwards with friends. Are only the people that paid for nicer, bigger rooms eligible for upgrades, or are we cheapies eligible too? (I don't think we are steerage class, but maybe pretty close). What are the chances we will be pixie dusted to a higher CAT?
thanks
Stephanie
Daisy'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #199
HollandmillerFamily
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 94

Cool Getting to the heart of the matter

So I'm currently ON my cruise and I'm going to post some of the info I really wanted when I was cruising the boards and reading this thread regularly wondering about upgrade possibilities... The price.
So, as noted, it depends on factors like cruise length, ship, time of year, and--I think--how full the ship is. It doesn't matter how many people are in the room or how much you paid originally. The chart they use just factors in what your category is and what cat you want to upgrade to. (Edit: This is for a seven-day Western Caribbean on the Fantasy.)

From a 9B to cat T (one bedroom concierge) was $2170
From a 9B to cat V (standard verandah concierge) was $1470
From a 9B to cat 4 (largest verandah room without being concierge) was $945

From a 7A to cat T (one bedroom concierge) was $1925
From a 7A to cat V (standard verandah concierge) was $1225
From a 7A to cat 4 (largest verandah room without being concierge) was $700

One thing I read that someone else posted was that the problem with upgrading to concierge is that you Will never be able to cruise Disney again without it, which I thought was cute and funny. Yeah, well--take that seriously. We had a blast the last two times we cruised and, like everyone, we've been blown away by the service and friendliness of the crew. So the concierge service is like that on crack. My husband forgot cuff links and Julia found some and brought them down to us in the Walt Disney Theater... And then went and bought caramel corn for us while we stayed in our seats. And totally insisted and didn't make us feel lazy for letting her do it. . This is just one example of the amazing over-the-top concierge service... The one bedroom is freaking amazing and we have the accessible room so it's even bigger! We're just trying to absorb it all. Anyway, just getting some of the info out there now. I promise to post more later. Now back to the cruise!
April
PS--did I mention I'm typing this on the iPad I borrowed for free using the free 100-minute Internet package that comes with concierge? IT ROCKS.

Last edited by HollandmillerFamily; 10-16-2012 at 03:10 AM.
HollandmillerFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #200
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,809

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandmillerFamily View Post
One thing I read that someone else posted was that the problem with upgrading to concierge is that you Will never be able to cruise Disney again without it, which I thought was cute and funny. Yeah, well--take that seriously. We had a blast the last two times we cruised and, like everyone, we've been blown away by the service and friendliness of the crew. So the concierge service is like that on crack. My husband forgot cuff links and Julia found some and brought them down to us in the Walt Disney Theater... And then went and bought caramel corn for us while we stayed in our seats. And totally insisted and didn't make us feel lazy for letting her do it. . This is just one example of the amazing over-the-top concierge service... The one bedroom is freaking amazing and we have the accessible room so it's even bigger! We're just trying to absorb it all. Anyway, just getting some of the info out there now. I promise to post more later. Now back to the cruise!
April
PS--did I mention I'm typing this on the iPad I borrowed for free using the free 100-minute Internet package that comes with concierge? IT ROCKS.
Thats awesome - have a great cruise! Julia has to take our award for the best overall concierge we ever had. Tell her the Setter family says hello and wishes her well ....
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #201
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit
 
jetskigrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal - 30 minutes from DLR
Posts: 5,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDMous View Post
We did our first port upgrade this time around for the Sept 23 Pixar cruise. We had booked an IGT so we wanted to see if we could get an outside. We had a figure in our head and decided not to go over. Well, she told us we could get an outside on deck 2 for less than $200 so we gave her our price and worked backwards. We ended up with an awesome navigator's veranda for $375. It was the first on deck 6 starboard so had 3/4 of a regular veranda wall and only a tiny bit enclosed. I think someone before us had upgraded from it and that was the only reason why it was available, but it seemed they had tons of rooms left. Our second seating for dinner was half empty every night. We checked in about 11 and there was only 1 person in line at the supervisors desk. I think it got a lot longer later.
I think you ended up with our room (6634) right? We got to the port about 10:15 and there were 1-bedroom suites, 4s and a few 5 b's (I think). So we upgraded from 6634 (the 7a secret verandah room) to 8552 (the 4a that we have had on two previous cruises on the Wonder) for $350.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DS(11)
DL: APers..so as often as possible, WDW: August 2010 (10 nights - Poly)
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #202
sunshine1259
DIS Veteran
 
sunshine1259's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 2,846

We were on the first Pixar cruise September 16th. We upgraded from a category 10A (SPH) to a 1-bedroom concierge suite for $1173. As it was our anniversary and we had already received a big refund back from Disney for this sailing, we thought, Why not. We are glad we did!!!
__________________
Thanks,
Brenda
.

June 2004, WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, Bahama 3-Day Wonder
Sept 2007, WDW Beach Club Resort, Bahama 3-Day Wonder
Sept 2008, Bahama 4-Day Wonder
Aug 2009, WDW Port Orleans Riverside, Bahama 3-Day Wonder
Oct 2010, WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Magic
Jan 2011, LA Cruise to Nowhere 2-Day Wonder
Aug 2011, Alaska 7-Day Wonder
Sept 2012, Disneyland, Grand Californian Villas, Pixar California Coast Cruise 7-Day Wonder
Oct 20, 2012, WDW Animal Kingdom Villas, Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Fantasy

Numbers 10 and 11, B2B Dec 2013 3/4-Day Dream
sunshine1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #203
ImDMous
DIS Veteran
 
ImDMous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 1,437

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
I think you ended up with our room (6634) right? We got to the port about 10:15 and there were 1-bedroom suites, 4s and a few 5 b's (I think). So we upgraded from 6634 (the 7a secret verandah room) to 8552 (the 4a that we have had on two previous cruises on the Wonder) for $350.
Thank you for vacating your room, we thoroughly enjoyed it. When we booked this IGT, we figured it was such a great price we would be fine with no balcony for the first time, no biggie. Then as it got closer we started thinking, well, what could it hurt to look at upgrades, might be able to get an outside for pretty cheap and try that out. When she told us how cheap that veranda was since it's really not considered one even though it is, we couldn't resist. So we still haven't sailed without a veranda, even though we had good intentions to try it out.
__________________
But I don't want to go among MAD people!




DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #204
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran
 
GetGlowing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The mountains of Northeast Tennessee
Posts: 1,339

100 minutes of free internet at sea almost pays for your Concierge upgrade! Hahahahaa
__________________
Follow my travels via Twitter: xrae


GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #205
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama View Post
So, I have a question. We booked our first cruise - 3 night next Feb on the Dream. For this trip, all I could afford was Cat11C GTY. We are spending a week at WDW afterwards with friends. Are only the people that paid for nicer, bigger rooms eligible for upgrades, or are we cheapies eligible too? (I don't think we are steerage class, but maybe pretty close). What are the chances we will be pixie dusted to a higher CAT?
thanks
Stephanie
Anybody can end up with a Pixie Dust upgrade. There is nothing wrong with a cat11 or any category. The main difference is you don't have a window. You will even be on the same deck as rooms with oceanviews and verandahs.
__________________
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #206
kaseyC


Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 4,197

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
Thats awesome - have a great cruise! Julia has to take our award for the best overall concierge we ever had. Tell her the Setter family says hello and wishes her well ....
I have to agree. Julia is absolutely amazing.
__________________
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #207
ddixon1
Mouseketeer
 
ddixon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Posts: 244

Oh, dear. I know that if I ever have the good fortune to upgrade to concierge, I will never, never be able to book a non-concierge cabin again. So, I suppose that DCL will more than make their money on me! I'll try for our next cruise (in January), but then, I know that I will be hooked, and will want the life of luxury, from that point, on. So, maybe I am hoping that there will not be any upgrades available? To remain blissfully unaware?
__________________
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013
ddixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #208
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon1 View Post
Oh, dear. I know that if I ever have the good fortune to upgrade to concierge, I will never, never be able to book a non-concierge cabin again. So, I suppose that DCL will more than make their money on me! I'll try for our next cruise (in January), but then, I know that I will be hooked, and will want the life of luxury, from that point, on. So, maybe I am hoping that there will not be any upgrades available? To remain blissfully unaware?
Yes, the concierge bug will definitely hit you if you ever sail it. We upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite for the first time on the 9/22 Magic sailing and pretty much the first words out of our mouths when we walked into our stateroom were that we've ruined ourselves for any future sailings. Esp. if we're sailing w/ our 2 girls. This time it was just us, so it was nice, but not totally 'necessary', if that makes sense. We decided to try for an upgrade b/c it was our anniversary cruise. And now we've definitely been ruined. Trying to see if we can change our Cat. for our Med cruise next summer...
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #209
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!
 
JoiseyMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Joisey
Posts: 7,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
Yes, the concierge bug will definitely hit you if you ever sail it. We upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite for the first time on the 9/22 Magic sailing and pretty much the first words out of our mouths when we walked into our stateroom were that we've ruined ourselves for any future sailings. Esp. if we're sailing w/ our 2 girls. This time it was just us, so it was nice, but not totally 'necessary', if that makes sense. We decided to try for an upgrade b/c it was our anniversary cruise. And now we've definitely been ruined. Trying to see if we can change our Cat. for our Med cruise next summer...
We were on the 9/12 Magic and were in an IGT cat 11B. We got to the port and even after chcking in late and standing behind four other families at the supervisors desk we upgraded to The Roy Suite. It was just the two of us. Oh MY! I never said OMG so much in my entire life. I have to say that concierge is very very nice. And I would like to try to do it again, but yes, I can sail without it. In the Roy you got unlimited internet and other perks, I have to say it was the most incredible cruise I have ever been on, and that our kids, who were NOT with us hate us for life .
__________________
1973 Dec - First trip, off site. 1978 June - Senior trip for High School; 1980 Summer - Quick off site w/ college friends; 1998 January - January First Onsite Family Trip CBR
2001/2 Dec/Jan - First family Poly trip; 2003/4 Dec/Jan - Extended Family Trip Rented 4 bed house
2004 August - My surprise trip (no kids)!!! Pop/Poly/GF/AKL; 2004 Nov - Jersey Week AKL & Timeshare
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #210
hbg4
Ask me where I'm going on my next vacation ? Disney World of course
 
hbg4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 737

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandmillerFamily View Post
So I'm currently ON my cruiseThe one bedroom is freaking amazing and we have the accessible room so it's even bigger! We're just trying to absorb it all. Anyway, just getting some of the info out there now. I promise to post more later. Now back to the cruise!
April
PS--did I mention I'm typing this on the iPad I borrowed for free using the free 100-minute Internet package that comes with concierge? IT ROCKS.
Hi we're booked on the Dream in cabin 11006, I believe it is the only accessible one BR. I assume you on the Dream or Fantasy. Could you tell me what it's like? I'm not sure I really want to stay in this cabin but it is the only one available for my B2B cruises. Thank you.
__________________
DVC member BCV, BWV, SSR, AKV
59 visits to Walt Disney World and still counting
3 visits to Disney Land
7 cruises on Disney Magic
9 cruises on Disney Dream
2 cruises on Disney Wonder
1 cruise on the Disney Fantasy
hbg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: