Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #166
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
No problem. But if the Magic had a lounge then yes they would have been able to use the lounge since we were all checked into the cat. S and had the gold keys.
So, were both cabins upgraded or only one upgraded and the other family moved/checked into it since there was room?

Just trying to understand how it's worked by DCL when moving two into one at the port since two cabins can't be upgraded into one!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #167
Nikki'sMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
So, were both cabins upgraded or only one upgraded and the other family moved/checked into it since there was room?

Just trying to understand how it's worked by DCL when moving two into one at the port since two cabins can't be upgraded into one!
It sounds as if this was a special situation as I have not heard of this happening before.

me( 45) dh(48) dd(6)
Nikki'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #168
Wendy&Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki'sMommy View Post
It sounds as if this was a special situation as I have not heard of this happening before.
That's what I'm trying to figure out.

From what jilljill said, the upgrade was only being offered to a family in a verandah cabin, which she had and upgraded from.

That part I understand.

But did the second family actually pay to upgrade as well (same $ as jilljill) or were they just allowed to move/checkin to jilljill's upgraded cabin since the space was available? And was their original cabin still available to them, or did they actually give it up for DCL to utilize for another guest?

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #169
BEAV
Earning My Ears

Upgraded from 6A to 00R (Walt Disney Suite) for $1800. 6 nights Vancouver to LA. Well worth it in our opinion. Was happy it was still available after standing in a long, slow-moving line for upgrades in Vancouver.
BEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #170
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAV View Post
Upgraded from 6A to 00R (Walt Disney Suite) for $1800. 6 nights Vancouver to LA. Well worth it in our opinion. Was happy it was still available after standing in a long, slow-moving line for upgrades in Vancouver.
Wow! They must not have wanted people to upgrade on our cruise. We got off the ship you got on after 7 nights in Alaska (I'm guessing - we sailed 9/3-10/12). We tried to upgrade at the port and for a 5B to 00T upgrade, they wanted $2720. I was shocked and turned it down. Based on this thread and the fact there were still 5 00Ts available (as well as the 00R), I figured it would have been a lot cheaper. I saw them varnishing the banisters on the verandahs to two of those rooms (the ones all the way aft you can see from Beach Blanket) one afternoon. So they must not have filled them. Oh well.
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #171
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki'sMommy View Post
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to figure out.

From what jilljill said, the upgrade was only being offered to a family in a verandah cabin, which she had and upgraded from.

That part I understand.

But did the second family actually pay to upgrade as well (same $ as jilljill) or were they just allowed to move/checkin to jilljill's upgraded cabin since the space was available? And was their original cabin still available to them, or did they actually give it up for DCL to utilize for another guest?
Only 1 upgrade fee was paid and the 2nd cabin was turned back into to DCL to reuse if they needed it. The 4 of us were given keys to the cat. S cabin.

The only thing that was a special circumstance was the fact that only a veranda cabin could do the upgrade. Others have upgraded 2 cabins to 1 cabin, paying only 1 upgrade fee.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #172
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Only 1 upgrade fee was paid and the 2nd cabin was turned back into to DCL to reuse if they needed it. The 4 of us were given keys to the cat. S cabin.

The only thing that was a special circumstance was the fact that only a veranda cabin could do the upgrade. Others have upgraded 2 cabins to 1 cabin, paying only 1 upgrade fee.
But it would have been the same upgrade fee even if it had just been your cabin correct?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #173
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
But it would have been the same upgrade fee even if it had just been your cabin correct?
That is correct. You can not upgrade 2 cabins to 1 and get a cheaper upgrade price.

When we asked if the cat. S was available she asked what cabin we were in, we told her and she said that was fine to upgrade and then told up the price. When she started the paperwork process we told her we were adding 2 more people from another cabin and she said that was fine and just needed to know that cabin number and I told her we wouldn't be keeping that cabin and they could use it if needed.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #174
Wendy&Grumpy

Quote:
That is correct. You can not upgrade 2 cabins to 1 and get a cheaper upgrade price.

When we asked if the cat. S was available she asked what cabin we were in, we told her and she said that was fine to upgrade and then told up the price. When she started the paperwork process we told her we were adding 2 more people from another cabin and she said that was fine and just needed to know that cabin number and I told her we wouldn't be keeping that cabin and they could use it if needed.
So basically, if two families will fit in the upgrade cabin, the upgrade fee could be shared by them, making it half price for each.

Not bad!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #175
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:
So basically, if two families will fit in the upgrade cabin, the upgrade fee could be shared by them, making it half price for each.

Not bad!
You got it!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #176
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill

You got it!
Since they didn't use that room, did they get any $ back? Or Disney just got extra$?
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #177
Wendy&Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealandsmom View Post
Since they didn't use that room, did they get any $ back? Or Disney just got extra$?
Since they didn't pay an upgrade fee to officially move from that cabin, my guess is no, they didn't get any money back. They paid for their "official" cabin and that's most likely the end of the story for them as far as DCL is concerned.

If you had a cabin and chose to sleep somewhere else, would you expect money back?

With us, since there's 6 of us, we'd still need to keep the second cabin anyway. We'd just move 5 of us to the concierge cabin and the kids (well, adult kids!) would take turns sleeping in the 2nd cabin.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #178
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

Since they didn't pay an upgrade fee to officially move from that cabin, my guess is no, they didn't get any money back. They paid for their "official" cabin and that's most likely the end of the story for them as far as DCL is concerned.

If you had a cabin and chose to sleep somewhere else, would you expect money back?

With us, since there's 6 of us, we'd still need to keep the second cabin anyway. We'd just move 5 of us to the concierge cabin and the kids (well, adult kids!) would take turns sleeping in the 2nd cabin.
However if Disney could make extra money by someone upgrading into the now empty cabin......seems like they should?? Right? IF the room was turned back into DCL that is..
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #179
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

So even though there's no money returned to the family that did not upgrade their stateroom, they got to get keys. So is that their reward for turning their room back over to Disney? Instead of getting a refund that is...
Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #180
BEAV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
Wow! They must not have wanted people to upgrade on our cruise. We got off the ship you got on after 7 nights in Alaska (I'm guessing - we sailed 9/3-10/12). We tried to upgrade at the port and for a 5B to 00T upgrade, they wanted $2720. I was shocked and turned it down. Based on this thread and the fact there were still 5 00Ts available (as well as the 00R), I figured it would have been a lot cheaper. I saw them varnishing the banisters on the verandahs to two of those rooms (the ones all the way aft you can see from Beach Blanket) one afternoon. So they must not have filled them. Oh well.
I can't help but wonder if the difference in upgrade prices from one voyage to another are partially determined by the retail prices themselves. For example, I'm sure the full 7 day Alaska prices were much higher than those of the 6-day repo cruise from Vancouver to LA? And the higher the base price the higher the prices to upgrade? I'm only speculating......
BEAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: