Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
WDWLover75
Mouseketeer

Frustrated potential Escape bride

So, my boyfriend and I just got engaged, YEAH!!!!! I've been researching DFTW for about a year now and called right away to give my name, get the process started and check availability. I called last Monday, July 8. The guy I talked to collected all my information and said someone would call me in a few days but it might take a bit longer because they were a bit behind from the long holiday weekend. As of today, no call. So, I called again. He couldn't find me in the system! Same guy, he remembered talking to me so he took my information again, etc.

Is it normal for DFTW to lose your information?

Also, both times I called, I specifically said I was interested in an Escape wedding but the guy kept talking about Wishes......Wishes this, Wishes that. I got an email after my call today with a bunch of links to Wishes stuff. Has anyone else experienced this? Did DFTW refuse to add a catered meal or dessert party unless you switched to a Wishes wedding?

Thanks much!
WDWLover75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
bigr3ddog
Mouseketeer

I called 18 months ahead of my proposed wishes date and had a similar experience. Nobody called me but then I found out dftw won't really talk to anyone until 16 months. I called a month later to arrange a site visit at 16 months. The sales consultant first said that dftw really wouldn't hold any discussions until 16 months, but she then asked when I wanted the site visit. Because that date was within 16 months, she took down my information (again) and someone called me that afternoon. The weird thing was I had given a different email address this time compared to last time, and the information they read back to me was the email address I had given last month.

I think on escape timelines, they don't hold discussions until 9 months before the proposed date. If you are within 9 months, I'd call back. The other part that the person I had spoken to emphasized was number of guests. The number will force either wishes or escape; there is no overlap. 20 or fewer total people, including the bride and groom, goes escape. 21 and over goes wishes. If you have escape numbers but the phone person was talking wishes, then they have one confused phone person.
bigr3ddog is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
happylaughingcow
Earning My Ears

Im an Escape bride (to be) our date is 1st Oct this year but we originally were going to do next oct (2014). When we decided to pull it forward a year we were 6 months out so when I made the call up DFTW started the ball rolling immediately....

Originally when we got engaged we were 18 months out from our proposed date so when I called then DFTW told me to call back feb 2014 to start things going but I was never pushed to think about a wishes wedding instead of escape? I don't know if its *** Im from the UK so they know its more difficult for overseas brides to do site visits etc?.....

We're not having a private dinner reception but we are having a DP at EPCOT and theres been no problem adding things like this on and my planner hasn't been pushy at all. At one point I even requested to get prices and menu choices through to look at to do a reception but she said it would prob work out better and cheaper for us to eat at one of the resort restaurants (which was our original plan) so we've got reservations at the yachtsman after our ceremony
Old 07-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

I just called on Monday, when since we are 9 months out and they called me back yesterday. I had the opposite experience as you. They immediately sent me a link with escape information. They have penciled me in for the date I wanted and the sales consultant told me she would call me back next month to lock in the date at 8 months out. I wasn't pushed to do wishes at all. Did you maybe call too early for escape that they thought you were wishes?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
WDWLover75
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. I am less than eight months out. Hopefully, I will get a call back today.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Maybe they are pushing you towards Wishes because you said you wanted a catered meal after. Typically Escape brides make the arrangements for a post wedding meal directly with the restaurant.

If you are doing the catered meal, maybe the consultant thought it made more sense to go Wishes since you would probably end up with Wishes pricing.

Escape brides can add a dessert party no problem!

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
bigr3ddog
Mouseketeer

But if you're under 21 total people you can't do wishes anyway. Dftw can assist with adding a reception to an escape package, but it's limited to 2 hours and no entertainment, I believe. It's essentially a private dining event with your escape guests.
bigr3ddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
mb187143
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigr3ddog View Post
But if you're under 21 total people you can't do wishes anyway. Dftw can assist with adding a reception to an escape package, but it's limited to 2 hours and no entertainment, I believe. It's essentially a private dining event with your escape guests.
This isn't technically 100% accurate... As those of you planning now will find, Disney can and will bend as adjust depending on various factors. There have been cases were people were able to have a wishes wedding with less than 20 guests as long as they met the required minimums. More strict are the escape package guidelines.

It's very rare that Disney turns down an opportunity to make more money.

mb187143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
clarabella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb187143 View Post

This isn't technically 100% accurate... As those of you planning now will find, Disney can and will bend as adjust depending on various factors. There have been cases were people were able to have a wishes wedding with less than 20 guests as long as they met the required minimums. More strict are the escape package guidelines.

It's very rare that Disney turns down an opportunity to make more money.
Well I have 10 ppl agreed t o pay wishes minimums and they still would not let me have a wishes wedding!? Dftw is a law unto itself!
clarabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
WDWLover75
Mouseketeer

Yeah, they finally called! And my locations are available for December! Just need to finalize the plan with DF!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!

The first person you ever speak to at DFTW is a receptionist type person. They gather your info and pass it along to a consultant. From then, you are kind of at the mercy of the consultant. Some help with planning sessions for Wishes brides or have to make appearances. Mine went out of town a lot to appear at bridal shows all over the country. It took 4 days before I had to call back and get in touch with a consultant to pencil myself in at 9 months. They were very helpful in getting me connected with a consultant. You are then linked to a planner once your date/time/location have been secured and your letter of agreement with deposit have been received. I am 89 days out and have had little communication with my planner as there really isn't much to do until closer to your date. Of course she has always been around to answer any questions I may have, but it gets nitty gritty closer to a few months beforehand. You will want to plan everything, but no need to! Work it out on the planning kit you will get from your planner and send or back close to the due date and the ball will roll!
It can be a slow process in the beginning, especially since you are so eager and excited, but that's normal!!

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)

Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
WDWLover75
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDudet View Post
The first person you ever speak to at DFTW is a receptionist type person. They gather your info and pass it along to a consultant. From then, you are kind of at the mercy of the consultant. Some help with planning sessions for Wishes brides or have to make appearances. Mine went out of town a lot to appear at bridal shows all over the country. It took 4 days before I had to call back and get in touch with a consultant to pencil myself in at 9 months. They were very helpful in getting me connected with a consultant. You are then linked to a planner once your date/time/location have been secured and your letter of agreement with deposit have been received. I am 89 days out and have had little communication with my planner as there really isn't much to do until closer to your date. Of course she has always been around to answer any questions I may have, but it gets nitty gritty closer to a few months beforehand. You will want to plan everything, but no need to! Work it out on the planning kit you will get from your planner and send or back close to the due date and the ball will roll!
It can be a slow process in the beginning, especially since you are so eager and excited, but that's normal!!
Thanks for this! I first called on July 8th to look into dates for December 6 of this year. When no one called me back by the 18th, I called again. Finally on the 23rd, I got the call and all the places I wanted were available! The consultant that called, Diane, has been super friendly and helpful. I don't have that many questions yet because I've read Carrie's book cover to cover and have been stalking here for a few months. But, from all that research, I also knew it wasn't supposed to take two weeks for someone to call and let me know if dates within five months were available! We are now just double-checking the date with our family and friends, fingers crossed that I will get to start my planning journal soon! :-)
Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

Congrats! I'm glad you finally got your call back and your date was available. I started my PJ a year ago because I was too excited to wait lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: