Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #16
sara mom
Mouseketeer

Great so far!!

Can't wait for more!
sara mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Signing on! Can't wait to find out why you had to change cabins.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
Shell54
DIS Veteran

Following along We're on a Fantasy Western cruise next May so I'm looking forward to reading more. We also have a Deluxe Inside room booked..so I'll be interested to read what happened with yours&why you had to switch rooms.

Disney Magic 8/12

Shell54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
verygfy
DIS Veteran

A New Hairdo and a Morning of Gluttony

The agenda for this morning was to get DD’s hair braided at 9am (when I made the appointment the day before the lady had said this was the first appointment for the day) and then take her to her club because DH and I were having brunch at Palo at 10:30am. Tight schedule!! So to help alleviate some of the running around I ordered room service both as a wake up call and so we could take it easy first thing. Plus, I love room service!!

Room service showed up around 7:30am with coffee, bagels, cream cheese and a fruit bowl. Here is a tip regarding the fruit bowl, we ordered this a few times and it was generally cantaloupe, honey dew, and some grapes. Towards the end of the week DD has requested a fruit bowl again (one of her favorites), but she wanted Strawberries. I told her I wasn’t sure they could do Strawberries since there were none in the fruit all week. I told her I would put the request and we will see what comes. Well, not only did they do strawberries, but they gave her a whole bowl of strawberries. So if you prefer a specific type of fruit write the request on the room service form and they will accommodate you (obviously within reason).

After our breakfast, DD and I headed up to the pool deck around 8:40 and when we arrived there was a girl in the ladies chair. Apparently she was getting her full head braided and they were not able to finish the night before so she had her come back this morning to finish. We ended up waiting until around 9:30 for her to finish braiding the girls hair.

Originally I had booked for DD to get the headband braid, but since we were so tight on time I just had her braid her bangs back and not worry about the sides.

(before)

(I know she looks miserable and uncomfortable, but I promise you she was not. I kept asking the whole time, does it hurt and she would reply, No)

The lady had insisted that we come back so she could finish all the way down. I had told her I would see how the afternoon turned out and we would try. If not, then I could come back and they would fix the sides. She got 6 braids at $2 each plus a $5 tip so the total was $17.

We ended up going back later that day and just had the sides fixed by the other lady who was braiding hair. This was the best $17 I spent all cruise!!

(After, see I told you she wasn't miserable, LOL)

I was able to drop DD off at her club right at around 10:00am which only gave me a short amount of time to get ready for Palo.

DH and I arrived at Palo right at 10:30, shocking we made it on time.

On our last cruise we did not book Palo, it was our first cruise and we wanted to enjoy all of the restaurants and our day at sea. I totally regret not fitting Palo in... The place was beautiful. Now one thing that had me confused was how not busy it was. For something that is so hard to get a reservation you would think all of the tables would have been full.

DH and I were placed in a booth in the first room (the buffet was in a party room, but there was another room closer to the buffet) and there were probably only 5 or 6 other tables seated.

Our waiter arrived and offered us our complimentary Mimosa and whatever else we would like to drink.

After our drinks arrived he then took us on a tour of the buffet tables. This is where the gluttony began.

(I told you I have a thing for place settings)

DH and I filled our plates with offerings from the buffet!! The sticky buns were fabulous.

After stuffing ourselves from the buffet our waiter returned with what we would like from the kitchen. DH and I could not decide between the sausage or the margarita pizza and we knew we did not want both, so our waiter decided on a half and half pizza. Did I mention he was great (but for some reason I did not write his name down)

By the time our hot food started to arrive it was around 11:30 so both DH and I went for lunch options (although the breakfast choices looked very tempting)

I had the Veal, loved the sage flavor

DH had the Chicken Parmesan and enjoyed it.

After brunch DH and I had walked (rolled) out on deck at Meridian Bar (which is the about the only time we were there) and while we were there I had noticed something floating in the water. DH thought it was just debris; we debated this for a bit and then went to go get DD because we had a meeting with Princesses coming up.
verygfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
kpadalik
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying this TR...can't wait to read more! Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
DisneyWhirled
DIS Veteran

Subbing!

My DD will be 10 on our next cruise. Having done BBB 3x's we are not planning on doing it again. She has a lot of wavy hair and I too don't want to spend the whole cruise doing her hair! Braids sound like the way to go! More reasonable than I thought! I'm glad you wrote that your DD was not miserable....my DD whines all the time when I do her hair, but not when someone else does!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #22
TheThomsLuvDisney
DIS Veteran

Subbing In!

I love the Palo pictures, Palo Brunch is my favorite! I'm sooo hungary now!!!

DCL Feb 2014 Fantasy Eastern~SSR
DCL Feb 2013 Fantasy Western~BLT
Aulani April 2012
DCL Feb 2011 Dream B2B~AKL
DCL Jan 2010 Magical Eastern~CBR
DCL Jan 2008 Magical Western~SSR
DCL Jan 2006 Magical Western~POP
DCL Jan 2005 Magical Eastern~WL
DCL Jan 1999 7 Day Land/Sea~POFQ
TheThomsLuvDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #23
heyshanny
Mouseketeer

We are taking this cruise in February. Really enjoying your TR!

WDW- too many times to count! Last time 9/99
DCL- Wonder 11/08, Magic 1/12, Fantasy 2/13

Next up....Disney Magic 2/15!
heyshanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #24
Dclnut143
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by verygfy View Post
I just realized I forgot to post the pictures of the room in the last post...

We had an 11am check in at the port, prior to leaving we had Google mapped the distance from our hotel to the Port and it was about an hour. So we wanted to be out of the hotel around 8am, grab a quick bite to eat and then drive over to the port. We had booked Park and Cruise for the week and knew that it would take some time to unload the car and load there shuttle. Normally, I am notoriously late to everything. So knowing this DH was up bright and early and had headed downstairs in search of some coffee for me.

They had Starbucks on site so he grabbed two and came back to wake me before the kids. On schedule everyone had woken and we had repacked our suitcases and finally put our tags on our luggage.

(Bright eyed and ready to go)

Bell service came up and helped with the bags and we were out of the hotel right on time. What we did not plan for was the mob scene we would encounter at McDonalds in Downtown Disney. This place was jamming at 8am.

We were able to grab our hotcakes and sausage and even get back on the road right around 9am. The drive over to the port was a pretty easy drive, one road; a few tolls (I think we passed through 3 or 4 that were .75 cents each) and then you get to see this!!

Park and Cruise was also pretty easy to find. It was the exit before the port and they have a big blimpie balloon pointing to the exit. We got off the highway and turned in. They had a shuttle waiting for us as soon as we arrived so we had to quickly unload the truck and while the shuttle driver loaded our bags DH went and parked the truck. Once DH arrived back we were off and on our way. I definitely recommend Park and Cruise, they treated us great, our truck was safe the whole week (they have a fence around the whole property and they have 24 hour camera surveillance), free shuttle to the port, and it was half the price as the port.

We pulled into the port around 10:40am and I thought with the new port arrival times and check in process we would not see the line like we saw on our last cruise. Boy was I wrong, the line was all the way down the sidewalk and there were bags everywhere. It didn’t take long before we were going through the gates and up the escalator to check in.

We got in line for Castaway Club Members and we were second in line. When we got up to check in the computers went down and none of the printers were working so we could not get our keys. It seemed that all of the stations were having this problem and in true Disney fashion they were working very hard to get this resolved and get people moving. We got boarding number 5.

After checking in we all went outside to see her in person. She was finally here and we were about to board the beautiful Fantasy that we had been watching for the last year and a half. It was hot and humid this morning, so if you are planning to keep your hair beautiful and frizz free for boarding pictures I would highly recommend staying in the ac!!

Once we were done ohhing and ahhing the Fantasy we headed back inside to check DD into her club and get her wristband. The line was pretty long, but it did move really fast and we were through in no time. While we were checking in Sailor Goofy headed out into the lobby for pics. It still amazes me how fast that line forms when the characters get out. We decided we would wait until once on the ship and say hi to Goofy then.

(Isn't he cute)

(I told you that humidity was brutal)

Before we knew it they were calling the Family of the Day and allowing boarding #1 aboard!! They called #5 within about 10 minutes and we were going through the Mickey ears and heading towards our home for the next week.
We were on the dream that weekend and we also waited for the computer problem. I hope they got it fixed by now. I have also stayed at that hotel even tho i live in orlando . Its beautiful!!!! Cant wait to read more
Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #25
nursemomof2
Earning My Ears

Great trip report! I can't wait for more
nursemomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #26
verygfy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara mom View Post
Great so far!!

Can't wait for more!
Thank you for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Signing on! Can't wait to find out why you had to change cabins.
Thank you for reading! I am hoping to get that part up by this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell54 View Post
Following along We're on a Fantasy Western cruise next May so I'm looking forward to reading more. We also have a Deluxe Inside room booked..so I'll be interested to read what happened with yours&why you had to switch rooms.
The Deluxe inside room was great. DD loved the virtual porthole, I really wish I had taken some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpadalik View Post
Really enjoying this TR...can't wait to read more! Thanks!
Thank you for reading!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWhirled View Post
Subbing!

My DD will be 10 on our next cruise. Having done BBB 3x's we are not planning on doing it again. She has a lot of wavy hair and I too don't want to spend the whole cruise doing her hair! Braids sound like the way to go! More reasonable than I thought! I'm glad you wrote that your DD was not miserable....my DD whines all the time when I do her hair, but not when someone else does!
The braids were great. Very reasonable price and they stayed in well after we got home. She loved them as well.. I feel your pain with not wanting to do her hair constantly on the cruise. DD has thick, wavy hair also. I will do this every cruise from now on.

One tip, part of the problem with the little girl from the night before was she got her haircut the day before the cruise and did not have any "ends". I am not completely sure, but the lady told me that you should not have there haircut any later than a week before the cruise so that they have "ends"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThomsLuvDisney View Post
Subbing In!

I love the Palo pictures, Palo Brunch is my favorite! I'm sooo hungary now!!!
Yummo!! Thanks for reading along

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyshanny View Post
We are taking this cruise in February. Really enjoying your TR!
It goes by so fast!!Thanks for reading along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dclnut143 View Post
We were on the dream that weekend and we also waited for the computer problem. I hope they got it fixed by now. I have also stayed at that hotel even tho i live in orlando . Its beautiful!!!! Cant wait to read more
It is such a beautiful hotel, it was a great surprise when we arrived and saw how gorgeous it was. Luckily the computer problem did last to long, but I do wonder what was going on that they were having so many problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemomof2 View Post
Great trip report! I can't wait for more
Thank you for reading
Old 07-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
Dawncala
Collector of magical memories and pixie dust

Hi Verygfy,

It does sound like we were following each other around the cruise, (same dining rotation, seating times and everything) yet I think we really only saw your family at the DIS meet. I remember your son chatted with our kids while we were there. I figured we'd see you in the hallway a lot since our room was across the hall from yours, but then you moved. I'm interested to hear the story on that too.

I'm following along and looking forward to hearing your take on the week.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #28
15isto2
DIS Veteran

A teenage non disney lover, you have my sympathy

15isto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
verygfy
DIS Veteran

The Royal Meeting

The next plan for the day was the infamous Princess Gathering. Now here is a reason to check, double check and then check your ENTIRE daily navigator again. If you have not been on a Disney cruise let me explain what I mean by this. Each night your room hostess will leave a copy of the daily navigator in your room that contains the next day’s schedule. The first part is a 4 page brochure, on the front it highlights the main evening show, then it lists some fun facts, and the top 4 or 5 don’t miss activities on the ship. Then on the inside it breaks up into different sections, such as Family Activity Highlights, Adult Activity Highlights, and Youth Activity Highlights. It will also list the movies playing in the theaters that day and any specials with the shops and spa. Then there is a 2nd single sheet that is easy to fold up and carry with you that has the hour by hour breakdown of activities around the ship. And on the back of this single sheet all of the restaurants hours, club hours and then character appearances are listed.

The reason for this detail is because unless I wanted to read more about an activity I did not pay too much attention to the 4 page brochure piece (that is just a good souvenir), what I lived by was what was on the hourly navigator. For some reason the Princess Gathering was not listed on the front side of the Navigator in the designated 1:00pm time slot. It was only listed in the character appearances section on the back side. I am not sure if DCL’s attempt was to hide it, but if you were not careful you definitely would have missed this event.

The other tip to note is that the Princess Gathering is a very popular character meet and greet and it is always advised that if you are going to attend get there early. I picked up DD from her club around 12:15 or so and we headed down the atrium to hang out for a bit before the gathering. We were one of the first ones to arrive and slowly a few other girls started showing up.

A couple more atrium shots:

Do you remember in my last post about the “floating debris” in the water that DH and I saw outside of Meridian bar. It wasn't debris at all it was 3 refugees who had been stuck out to sea. While we were waiting for the Princesses to arrive, Ray our cruise director came over the speaker and informed us that the Captain would be turning the ship around to rescue 3 men and bring them on board. Once on board they were given food and looked at by Medical staff. Apparently these men had been stuck out at sea for 3 days.

After our heroic rescued we continued to wait for our princesses and who was to arrive? Aladdin he was looking for Abu!! DD and I said we have not seen him and DD told him that he needed to find him before the show tonight, too cute!! Aladdin sat and talked with DD and I for awhile after that and then went to talk to some of the other Princesses in training. These are some of my favorite moments of the cruise. While we thoroughly enjoy the parks, there is just something so much more intimate on the cruise with the characters. It’s almost like you are on vacation with them. Before too long it was time for the Princesses to arrive and Aladdin came back to DD and grabbed her hand and escorted her to the other end of the lobby to be the first one in line.

One of my favorite pics of the whole cruise.

After Prince Aladdin escorted DD to the front of the line the princesses came out one by one…

Each of the princesses really took there time to say hello and talk with DD. We did not feel rushed at all.

Then the Princess to be on her own throne, LOL!!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
Contessafester
Earning My Ears

I am enjoying your pictures and posts so much! It looks like you had an awesome trip! We are surprising our DD (7) with a Disney cruise in 12 days. I was wondering how hard it was to get the braids out. We are following up the cruise with a trip to Disney World and I have booked her a visit at the Bippidi Boppidi Boutique, so I would have to remove the braids for that. Would it be a pain? Thanks!

MeDHDD(7)
Contessafester is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: