Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
ohboyx3
DIS Veteran

Passport questions

Openly someone can enlighten me.

1. We are just taking a four night cruise to the Bahamas. Do we need passports or just birth certificates?

2. We booked late. I saw where it says they need passport numbers 75 days in advance. I have appts to get them done next week. I know it will take 8 weeks at least to get them. We leave October 7th.... I know that's cutting it close!

3. Just how much trouble am I in?

4. We are usually way more prepared than this... We just decided at the last minute to go cruising!

January 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
January 2008 Port Orleans Riverside

May 2011 All Star Music Family Suites
Disney Cruise aboard the Dream October 2012
October 2013 Fort Wilderness Cabins
ohboyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

When I booked my 4 night bahamaian cruise, I assumed we would need to get passports. When I called to book, I was told that we did not have to have passports, but would need certified birth certificates. From what I've read on the boards, you'll be fine and the only time you would NEED the passport is IF you had an emergency that would require you to have to fly home from the bahamas.
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

We've sailed three times with just birth certificates & ID. Longest we've gone is 5 nights. If we do longer - we will probably get passports.
jrbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkochrn View Post
When I booked my 4 night bahamaian cruise, I assumed we would need to get passports. When I called to book, I was told that we did not have to have passports, but would need certified birth certificates. From what I've read on the boards, you'll be fine and the only time you would NEED the passport is IF you had an emergency that would require you to have to fly home from the bahamas.
Yes, this is what we were told as well. DH and I got passports 2 years ago for a cruise to Bermuda, (HAL, not DCL) and when we got to port, lots of people had birth certificates and driver's licenses only. We called DCL to verify what we needed for the kids, and they said CERTIFIED birth certificates were fine. They did suggest that it may not be a bad idea to order new ones for any adults without passports, as older ones may not be acceptable anymore.....I know my DH needed to get a new one when applying for his passport in 2010.....His original had a raised seal, but did not have both parents names listed.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

Yes - certified. We do plan on getting passports at some point.
jrbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
beachbratt
Mouseketeer

we have sailed 7 times now with only our state certified birth certificates and photo ID

DISNEY WONDER**APRIL 29-MAY 3 2007**
DISNEY WONDER**SEPTEMBER 16-20 2007**
DISNEY MAGIC**SEPTEMBER 27-OCTOBER 4 2008**
DISNEY MAGIC**MAY 23-MAY 30 2009**
DISNEY MAGIC**DEC 05-DEC 12 2009**
DISNEY WONDER**JULY25-JULY30 2010**
CARNIVAL DREAM **DECEMBER 10-17 2011**
DISNEY FANTASY**AUGUST 25-SEPTEMBER 1 2012**
DISNEY DREAM **DEC 6-13 2012** B2B

beachbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboyx3 View Post

1. We are just taking a four night cruise to the Bahamas. Do we need passports or just birth certificates? Our TA recommended passports since if there is an emergency you cannot fly home without one. We got passports.

2. We booked late. I saw where it says they need passport numbers 75 days in advance. I have appts to get them done next week. I know it will take 8 weeks at least to get them. We leave October 7th.... I know that's cutting it close! You can still do the online check-in and fill in the passport numbers closer to your sail date. It will allow you to go in and edit right up until your cruise.
3. Just how much trouble am I in? None

4. We are usually way more prepared than this... We just decided at the last minute to go cruising!
Have fun!
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
s3rndpt
Mouseketeer

Quote:

1. We are just taking a four night cruise to the Bahamas. Do we need passports or just birth certificates?

2. We booked late. I saw where it says they need passport numbers 75 days in advance. I have appts to get them done next week. I know it will take 8 weeks at least to get them. We leave October 7th.... I know that's cutting it close!

3. Just how much trouble am I in?

There's a good chance your passport won't take nearly that long. When I renewed my expired passport last year (in July, even) it said it would take 8-12 weeks. It was back in 4, and that was WITH the mail losing it for a week. I've heard from a lot of people getting their passports back in a similar time frame, even for brand-new applications. You can also expedite the process, but they're so fast now I don't think you'd need to.
s3rndpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
ohboyx3
DIS Veteran

I feel much better! I guess we will go ahead and try to get the passports...I'm just a little worried though... Because I send off the originals..... And if they don't come in time then we will really be in trouble as our birth certificates will be in transit since we have to mail off those in order to get the passports! Ugh... Maybe we will just use the birth certificates.. Lol!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

After watching three emergency evacuations during our cruise a couple of weeks ago, I'd definitely suggest getting passports. Too many things can happen.

We also booked our cruise late, and while DCL already had our passport numbers on file, you can still put in your numbers closer to sail date.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Cinderashlie
Earning My Ears

When I applied for my passport about 2 months back, I was told 6-8 weeks as well. I had it back in two. So it will be much sooner.

I also booked my cruise (TOMORROW!) less than 75 days before we leave, and didn't have a passport yet. To the best of my knowledge, no issues.
Cinderashlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You would hope that my family could have passports that expired at or near the same time, but no such luck. Our last renewal took about 4 weeks, but I've read of them coming back much sooner (as in the above post). I think the 6-8 weeks is the standard answer.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
ohboyx3
DIS Veteran

Thank you to everyone who has replied! One more question: Do I need a passport book or a passport card?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I feel much better! I guess we will go ahead and try to get the passports...I'm just a little worried though... Because I send off the originals..... And if they don't come in time then we will really be in trouble as our birth certificates will be in transit since we have to mail off those in order to get the passports! Ugh... Maybe we will just use the birth certificates.. Lol!
We have passports, but if we did not, and if our sailing date was soon, I would probably just use the BCs.

Make sure your BCs are the currently-official ones, though. Some states have changed what is the "real" official copy.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who has replied! One more question: Do I need a passport book or a passport card?
A passport card will do you no good at all in an emergency. If you want one in your wallet just to carry as a "government issued photo ID," that's fine...but my driver's license serves that function at lower cost.

In an emergency requiring air transportation, you will need a passport book, not a card.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: