Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
cctimmom
Mouseketeer

Disney Visa (Chase)

Do you get extra points for buying Disney (i.e., at WDW, OBC, deposit/final payment)? Or is it just one point for $1?

Also... how far in advance do you need to move your points redemption to your rewards card before using it? (i.e., I have a cruise coming up, can I wait until the week before the cruise to transfer the rewards, or is that not enough time?)

CRUISING HISTORY
2008 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (4/24/2008 -- Western: Key West, Cozumel)
2009 - Disney Magic (4/18/2009 -- Western: Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Castaway Cay)
2011 - RCCL Oasis of the Seas (2/19/2011 -- Western: Labadee, Costa Maya, Cozumel)
2011 - Disney Dream (10/9/2011 -- Bahamas: Nassau, Castaway Cay)

2012 - Disney Dream (7/27/2012 -- Bahamas: Castaway Cay, Nassau, Castaway Cay)
2013 - RCCL Adventure of the Seas (4/14/2013 -- Southern: Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao)
2014 - Disney Wonder (4/2014 -- Bahamas: Castaway Cay, Nassau, Key West)
cctimmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure about the extra points for Disney purchases, but I thinks it's somewhere in the realm of like 2-5% for Disney stuff…

But you should ask for the redemption card 2 weeks before your cruise. this will allow for plenty of time. Although they usually come within a week.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

They do run specials, but normally it is one point for $1 on Disney stuff.
It takes 2 minutes to move points to your reward card IF you have a reward card. It takes 7-10 days to get a reward card in the mail or you can get it at SOME GS areas at WDW. There have been differing reports as to whether you can get a rewards card at the cruise terminal; I wouldn't count on it.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

If you have the new Premier Disney Visa - you'll earn 2% for Disney purchases (DCL, WDW, Disney Store, etc.) With the regular Disney Visa - you'll earn 1% for all charges - unless Chase is running a promotion.

If you already have a rewards card - you can move your rewards dollars to your rewards card online the same day you intend to use it.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I suggest ordering the Rewards card at least 2 weeks in advance, with a minimum number of rewards dollars on it (I think the minimum is $10). That way, if for some reason you don't go on the trip, you don't have to worry about the card expiring with all your Rewards dollars on it. You can always go online the day before you leave & instantly move however many Rewards dollars you want to, to the card. Or you can call Chase, and have them do it over the phone.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I suggest ordering the Rewards card at least 2 weeks in advance, with a minimum number of rewards dollars on it (I think the minimum is $10). That way, if for some reason you don't go on the trip, you don't have to worry about the card expiring with all your Rewards dollars on it. You can always go online the day before you leave & instantly move however many Rewards dollars you want to, to the card. Or you can call Chase, and have them do it over the phone.

Sayhello
The minimum is $20 the first time you transfer rewards dollars to the card, and $10 per subsequent transfer.

It sounds like the OP already has a rewards card.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
LacyBelle
Earning My Ears

I just ordered a Rewards card two weeks ago and the minimum transfer when ordering the card was $10. I had been expecting it to be $20, as that's what I seemed to remember from the past. Perhaps there were recent changes lowering the initial amounr...that, or my memory is not what is used to be (very likely the case).
LacyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyBelle View Post
I just ordered a Rewards card two weeks ago and the minimum transfer when ordering the card was $10. I had been expecting it to be $20, as that's what I seemed to remember from the past. Perhaps there were recent changes lowering the initial amounr...that, or my memory is not what is used to be (very likely the case).
According to the Terms & Conditions brochure I just received with my new cards yesterday:

Quote:
You must transfer at least twenty (20) Reward Dollars from your Card Account the first time you request a Redemption Card. All transfers after your first transfer to an existing or additional Redemption Card must be in increments of at least ten (10) or more Reward Dollars.
If this wasn't your first rewards card ("Redemption Card"), then that's why your minimum amount was $10.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
damiel
DIS Veteran

The real advantage is that you get 0% interest for 6 months on any Disney vacation purchase if you pay directly to Disney. This includes deposits, final payments, packages.
My advice is to leave at least $10.00 available to transfer and then when your statement closes transfer the $10.00 and any additional you earned that month over to your card. As others have said it only takes a few seconds to make the transfer. We often have the statemant close while we are on our trip and are able to take advantage of any spending we have done while on the trip this way.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
LacyBelle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
According to the Terms & Conditions brochure I just received with my new cards yesterday:

If this wasn't your first rewards card ("Redemption Card"), then that's why your minimum amount was $10.

Well, it certainly wasn't my first Rewards card, as I'm a day one card member. I suppose that makes sense...to a point. It's just curious they would have different rules to have to keep track of for first rewards cards versus subsequent cards. Consistency is not a priority at Chase, I guess. No wonder the banks are struggling...they make things too complex for their own good.

Last edited by LacyBelle; 07-06-2012 at 01:17 PM.
LacyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
mommyz
Mouseketeer

We've always got 1% back (unless there is a promo) but there is a 0% for 6 months for paying the disney cruise or disney vacation. We always take advantage of that.

I usually request the redemption card a month before I need it then I go online and add the remaining!

btw fyi we paid part of our final payment with our redemption card then used the remaining for onboard stuff. it was super easy.

Disney cruise 3nt 9/03
Disney cruise 7nt 9/04 cancelled b/c hurricanes
RCL cruise 1/05
Disney cruise 7nt 3/05
Disneyland 5/05
Disney cruise 7nt 9/07
Disneyworld 11/09
Carnival cruise 7nt 4/2011
Disney cruise (Fantasy) 7nt 6/2012

mommyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

I have a rewards card, but the date on it has expired. Do I need to request a new one?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJ View Post
I have a rewards card, but the date on it has expired. Do I need to request a new one?
Yes, you do. If you access your rewards online you can easily order a new rewards card and, as PP's have said, you will have to have at least $10 in rewards to transfer to the new card. Otherwise you can call Chase and they'll do it over the phone.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
hollybud68

Earning My Ears

I received a letter from Chase about a week or so ago that said that they messed up during a recent balance transfer promotion where I was to get I believe 4X the points. Said that my account would be updated within one or two billing cycles. Checked my account and had the points! Good thing since we head off on the Magic out of NYC in August and could use the extra points. Shame on me for not following my points better.
hollybud68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
2MouseMoguls
Earning My Ears

We really enjoy our Disney card. When we have extra points we have donated them to Toys for Tots, when that program is offered through Chase. It is a wonderful way to spread holiday cheer.

2MouseMoguls is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: