Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for all your input, guys! I think I'll just have to toughen up and give it a shot-I'll probably regret if I don't. Wish me luck
theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
tinkcollector
DIS Veteran

If you like SM you will like GG. But, one thing everyone failed to mention was the waiting in line out side of the attraction. The exterior of SM screams, slashes open with claw marks and many other affects that I found awesome. I completely enjoy Halloween and think Disney did an awesome job on this one.

I have had the extreme pleasure of dining at Club 33 x 9 (Sept./2014)
Attended A Private Tour of Walt's Apt. 08/07/12
Candlelight Ceremony Second Row Center 2012
Walt Disney Studio Tour X 2 (2011 & 2012)
"Be Our Guest" Dinner, 2014 sat with Floyd Norman
tinkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkcollector View Post
If you like SM you will like GG. But, one thing everyone failed to mention was the waiting in line out side of the attraction. The exterior of SM screams, slashes open with claw marks and many other affects that I found awesome. I completely enjoy Halloween and think Disney did an awesome job on this one.
I agree! I think some young children might be frightened and it is a bit eerie but I thought it was great and a nice change of pace. I think the soundtrack is very cool and what makes it scarier than the images.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
starshine514
DIS Veteran

DD5 rode SM for the first time in May 2011 (she was 4 then). She found it scary because it was dark (she's a coaster girl and a nightlight girl). On her 5th birthday, she finally got up the courage to try ToT - and she loved it - it's now one of her favorite rides! She rode SM again in May 2012 and liked it this go-around (even rode it again the next day). Our next trip will be during Halloween time, since she's a new convert to even tolerating SM, do you think I'll have a freaked-out kid on my hands if I take her on it?

I really want to ride it, as I have never been at Halloween time before. We're talking about doing the Photopass+ with some friends and I would love to have a ride photo of all of us (that are willing to ride it LOL - hopefully that will be 5 of us) on SM. Is the worst that could happen that she doesn't want to ride it again, or could nightmares ensue?
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
mmlover74
Mouseketeer

Great question OP. This will be our first time experiencing this ride and I have a DS who is 6. I will just tell him its Disney magic and he loves Space Mtn. We were there in May and he rode that, Screamin, and ToT for the first time and loved them so much we rode several times.
mmlover74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
vflipo
Mouseketeer

I wasn't a huge fan when we went a few years ago. The ghost was kind of disturbing :-/ I love space mountain though, so I just closed my eyes the next few times we rode!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I know this is an older thread, but I had an interesting observation about SMGG last weekend when I was riding it. It's much less "scary" from the last seat. Most of the projections seemed to time better with the front of the car, so by the time the back of the car reaches the scene it's over.

For example, in the launch sequence, if you seated behind someone taller than you, you can't see anything except the lightning on the side walls.

Inside, when the clawed hand "chases" you, it chases the front of the car, so the back of the car doesn't see anything until the hand has stopped moving.

Also, when the ghost lunges toward the car, it's finished lunging when the last car passes under it.

So, while the ride is more "intense" from a movement point of view in the back seat, the projections are much less "scary".
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #23
MaloCS
Earning My Ears

It's not scary at all. It's just 'Space Mountain' with a few projections that you hardly have enough time to focus on because the ride is moving too fast.

If you're not afraid of 'Space Mountain' then you shouldn't be afraid of 'Ghost Galaxy'.
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
Eddygirl
Mouseketeer

My DS 8 would ride Space mountain, but GG was too intense for him. I have to admit the ghost is a little creepy for the younger set.
Eddygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #25
anc876
Mouseketeer

Not very scary at all, except for younger kids. Riders see a few flashes of the ghost but other than those appearances and a different soundtrack, it's the same ride. The ghost is like a fiery reaper or demon and reminds me of the images I saw in the previews of Ghost Rider.
anc876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkcollector View Post
D they have that this year, does anyone know? I didn't notice it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddygirl View Post
My DS 8 would ride Space mountain, but GG was too intense for him. I have to admit the ghost is a little creepy for the younger set.
Same with my 8 year old. Well, except I think he'll ride again. As long as I promise to not scritch his head just as he sees the ghost...I didn't try to scare him, just wanted him to know I was there (he was sitting with DH in front of me) but he thought the ghost was touching him, poor kid.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #27
Princess Row
His Disney girl! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm mikey View Post
If you like space mountain, you'll probably like Ghost Galaxy.
i enjoy Ghost Galaxy alot more than regular Space Mountain.
So interesting, I ride it either way but prefer regular SM.
Princess Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #28
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
D they have that this year, does anyone know? I didn't notice it at all.
Yes, it back again!
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #29
Monica D
Ready to plan my next cruise!

I didn't think it was bad. My 9 yo niece is scared easily at things like this sometimes and she liked it.

Dh Me
Ds (17) Dd (15)

Monica D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #30
krispin41
DIS Veteran

There's a ghost?? I couldn't tell.when I rode it last year, my eyes were closed the entire time! LOL
krispin41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: