Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
lilsydney
Mouseketeer

Best Out of Park Resturant Experience

Well- I will be in Olrando the week of Jan 21 for work - soooo close to Disney but couldnt make it into a family trip this time
Opinions please on the best DIsney dining option that wont require park tickets? It will be 4-5 people so tastes could vary- food is important but if we could get amazing atmoshphere as well that would be great

Looking for some Disney magic on a non Disney trip.

Thanks all
3rd Time- Aug 1-5 2011 Swan

I got BOO'd!!!

http://schultzfamilydisneyadventures.shutterfly.com/
lilsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

Narcoossee's for seafood and Wishes fireworks viewing
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Boardwalk529
Mouseketeer

You're in luck because the best dining is OUTSIDE the parks. What price are you willing to pay? The most expensive (and best) ones are the Signatures. My absolute favorite Disney restaurant is Jiko (located at the Animal Kingdom Lodge). The entrees range from $30-40, but I usually just get a couple appetizers in place of an entree. The food there has an African theme, but it's not so exotic that picky eaters will be left without something to eat. I also love the California Grill (Contemporary Resort) and Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge). 'Ohana at the Polynesian Resort is a Brazilian style steakhouse. It's one of the most popular restaurants in Disney. It's not my favorite food on site, but I really like the atmosphere. The window seats offer very pretty views of the grounds and also great views of the Wishes fireworks show. I've never been there for dinner, but Iron Chef Cat Cora has a restaurant at the boardwalk named Kouzzina. The food there is Greek/Mediterranean. Like I said, I've never had dinner there, but the breakfast is great. I hope this helps
Boardwalk529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Boardwalk529
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk529 View Post
You're in luck because the best dining is OUTSIDE the parks. What price are you willing to pay? The most expensive (and best) ones are the Signatures. My absolute favorite Disney restaurant is Jiko (located at the Animal Kingdom Lodge). The entrees range from $30-40, but I usually just get a couple appetizers in place of an entree. The food there has an African theme, but it's not so exotic that picky eaters will be left without something to eat. I also love the California Grill (Contemporary Resort) and Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge). 'Ohana at the Polynesian Resort is a Brazilian style steakhouse. It's one of the most popular restaurants in Disney. It's not my favorite food on site, but I really like the atmosphere. The window seats offer very pretty views of the grounds and also great views of the Wishes fireworks show. I've never been there for dinner, but Iron Chef Cat Cora has a restaurant at the boardwalk named Kouzzina. The food there is Greek/Mediterranean. Like I said, I've never had dinner there, but the breakfast is great. I hope this helps
Of the restaurants I mentioned, Kouzzina has the least appealing atmosphere. The others, especially Jiko, Artist Point & CG have great atmosphere
Boardwalk529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

California Grill is my favorite, then Narcoossees which also has amazing food and a fantastic view of Wishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOQb1Y1rews
My son playing Pumbaa in school play. So funny
sweeteypie1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
starrysky
DIS Veteran

We had a wonderful meal at artist point last year krona was really good as well.

Depending on when you are planning to go Cali grill might be closed for refurb.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Brook1099
DIS Veteran

Signatures we like

Jiko has a great atmosphere and one of the best meals and dessert I have had. The resort is beautiful to explore afterwards.

Fultons Crab was another one of my top meals. And u can shop around DTD.

Narcosses is great if you plan it around Wishes.

Artist Point best soup I have ever had. Portabello mushroom.

Yachstmen we have visited the most. Atmosphere is not overly great but have always had a great meal. The resorts are fun to walk around and u can see Illuminations from the bridge every night.

Non Signatures favorites

Boma at Animal Kingdom a great buffet and something for everyone.

Ohanas a meal served family style, everyone would have to like offering but very good. Banana bread pudding awesome. Again you can view wishes from the Polynesian beach if you book ressie accordingly.

Ragland Road Downtown Disney, yummy food, great desserts and a Irish Pub setting.

Trex great themed not just for kids.

Cape May Clambake at Beach Club.
Brook1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

A couple of good choices for a combination of nice atmosphere and variety of really different menu items would be Jiko at AKL and Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

1) We prefer
. . . fine food
. . . excellent, top notch service
. . . innovative dishes with flair and quality
. . . overall great value
. . . relaxed and soothing dining atmosphere
. . . behaved and somewhat quiet patrons

2) The only sit-down restaurants, besides V&A, we patronize at WDW (in order)
. . . Sanaa - Animal Kingdom Villas Resort
. . . Artist Point - Wilderness Lodge Resort
. . . Citricos - Grand Floridian Resort
. . . Shula's Steakhouse - Dolphin Resort
. . . Il Mulino - Swan Resort

3) Our (nearby) Off-Site Recommendations:
. . . Bull & Bear - Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek, Fine Dining
. . . Café D'Antonio - Celebration, Casual Italian
. . . Columbia - Celebration, Casual Spanish/Cuban
. . . Fish Bones - Hwy192, Seafood
. . . Venetian Room - Caribe Royale Hotel, Fine Dining
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

California Grill won't be closed yet - I know because we have a reservation on 1/28. That would give you the fireworks and the castle views. The question is whether you could get a reservation at this point.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Favorite resort restaurants:

Narcoossees, Artist Point, Flying Fish (LOVE the BW @ night!!!), & Cali Grill
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
ddluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Rusty has given you a terrific list, but personally, I don't think that any list of top restaurants is complete without the mention of bluezoo at the Dolphin Resort.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I'm going to suggest a NON-signature place...CAPE MAY seafood buffet at the Beach Club resort. It's not cheap. It's around $35 per person but they have all you can eat crab legs among other foods like Fried fish and carved Beef.

If you want a fun CHAIN type restaurant with reasonably priced food at DTD you can find great steaks at T-Rex cafe. It's on the marketplace side of downtown Disney. Everyone in my family loved the food there.

The best SERVICE we had was at House of Blues at DTD and Olivia's at Old Key West resort. Both of those were reasonably priced meals. ($200 for 5 ppl and that included drink, dessert and tip)
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
partigus
Mouseketeer

"disney" magic

I agree with almost all of the previous posts...but one thing- you said "Disney Magic", so I'm voting against very nice, but non disney eateries such as BluuZoo, Shulas, or Wolfgang Pucks/ Ragland Road/Trex...though all are around Disney "stuff".You said a varied menu was important...this leaves out Ohanna, and the heavy seafood places like Citricos and Narcoosee. YOu can view the menus on the all ears website, so take a look- even has the prices. If variety is important, and a very good meal, but not a gourmet experience is what you are looking for, I'd suggest looking at the Grand Floridian Cafe. It sounds much more pedestrian than it is. It's a lovely dining area inside a beautiful world class resort. You can hang out in their lounge before/after diner- catch the fireworks and boat parade etc....If you are looking for a livelier time, I'd suggest something in the Epcot resort area- Yachtsmans, Shulas, Bluezoo, Il mulino, kouzinna, flying fish (that has signature steak and fish dishes)
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: