Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #46
kandb
DIS Veteran

It "could" also be a foodhandler who had a virus/bacterial illness and returned to work before there illness was over and did not wash their hands properly after using the restroom. Last year we had a foodbourne outbreak from a very famous bakery. The foodhandler used the restroom, had the norovirus (obviously should not of been at work, no less handling food) and he infected the whipped cream. There were many cakes that were sold and many people became ill, the state health dept. closed the bakery down until they made the bakery destroy all the food that may have been contaminated. Here is the scenario: 1. Ill foodhandler comes to work with active virus. 2. Foodhandler uses the restroom and does not thoroughly wash his hands after he has a BM. 3. Feces on foodhandlers hands get into the whipped cream, obviously from hand contact with the food product. 4. Whipped cream is out at room temperature and what is considered the danger zone of food (41 degrees to 135 degrees), this is when bacteria/virus grows and multiplies quickly in the food product. 5. cakes are made and put in refrigerator, but it's too late, some people will become ill from eating the contaminated cakes. (depending on how much food product is consumed, how big the person is, the persons immune system etc.)
kandb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #47
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
I've never had their salmon/cream cheese rollups. Is there a sauce that goes on them? Scallions, onions, greens of any kind?
I've seen the pictures, and it doesn't appear so. They're like the typical "pinwheel" appetizer/finger food.

Greens would need some sort of cross contaminant and, again, over that span (we've heard, here, from folks over a couple week span)...that would be a massive failure in the prep process.

Quote:
Agreed, but a thin layer with enough salmon might mask the flavor.
For it to be thin enough not to notice....it would be thin enough not to have the kind of long lasting effects being reported. Spoiled dairy also doesn't typically have that kind of lasting power, in terms of symptoms (unless there's already an allergy/sensitivity). NON-PASTEURIZED dairy might...but I doubt Disney would serve that.

The other option with cream cheese, which I had not considered at first, would be that it was not refrigerated properly (staph, possibly). The time from prep to trek (or even while on the trek) wouldn't be enough to cause significant bacteria growth. The issue would be during original transport (after purchase) and/or storage. Considering the bulk I'm sure they buy in, it's possible that would have the "legs" required for the type of "outbreak" described. And it wouldn't, necessarily, taste spoiled.

Quote:
Did they float fresh fruit in it?
Not anywhere else. If it's the same stuff (as reported) served elsewhere, it's simply served out of pitchers...no fruit in them.

Quote:
One bad melon baller can cut a lot of melon balls in one shift... bad/failed dishwashing?
Yes, but given the time frames reported (over a couple weeks), it couldn't be from one instance. The melon wouldn't last that long, even in cold storage. It would have had to have been from multiple instances, considering it's "fresh" fruit.

Quote:
That's one thing I wasn't worried about -- for some reason, I had the impression the beef was dried. On closer review, I see that wasn't stated, so yeah, e. coli or other critter could be an issue.
Pictures show it's more like thinly shaved "cold cuts".

Last edited by pilferk; 07-10-2012 at 06:39 AM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #48
Sanwich
Earning My Ears

I had a message for me from the OC health department.. waiting for them to call me back and a google search finds this thread. My fiance and I had a morning trek on June 9. We both got horribly sick afterwards... though our symptoms started a couple of days after. I thought it was something from our hotel food court... but apparently maybe not.

Forgot to add the irony that I'm a qualified germophobe and actually was hesitant to do the trek at first for the risk of food poisoning from poorly refrigerated food. Maybe that's not what caused it, but still. I also did wash my hands before eating.

Last edited by Sanwich; 07-10-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Sanwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #49
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

I'm no food expert, but when looking at the list of foods on the trek, and thinking about which sound like possible causes for illness/bacteria/virus, "edible orchid" stands out to me It just seems like pesticides could have been involved, no?
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #50
Eljay
DIS Veteran

Location: Lounging around the Royal Assante Suite at the AKL in my leopard pajamas, drinking Champagne! (In my dreams!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
I'm no food expert, but when looking at the list of foods on the trek, and thinking about which sound like possible causes for illness/bacteria/virus, "edible orchid" stands out to me It just seems like pesticides could have been involved, no?
I wondered about that too. You can't really properly wash an orchid.
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #51
ShirikiUtundu
Mouseketeer

I had the same line of questioning as kandb. Without conclusive testing it's going to be difficult to pinpoint the source of contamination. It sounds like they couldn't identify bacterial sources (the typical sources of what we think of as "food poisoning") so do you know if the issue could have been toxin (usually associated with a bacteria also) or viral?

Let me ask, of those in this thread who got sick, did you all wash your hands properly (meaning soap and water, lathering for an appropriate amount of time and not just relying on hand sanitizer) before eating? I took the trek in May and you are handling all sort of of things (not animals) that countless others have handled - harness, bridge rails, binoculars, truck surfaces etc.
ShirikiUtundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #52
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

I wonder if there have been any reports of illness from Tusker House, if the same kitchen is used, or if anyone has even connected it to Tusker House since it seems that folks aren't necessarily getting sick right away and thus wouldn't even think about reporting back to Tusker that there was a potential problem.

Wondering whether to take the chance.. wondering if it's silly that I'm wondering that.. I think the things we would eat at breakfast at Tusker House, except the fruit, would be prepared differently.

I'm mainly worried because I have a young one and her grandparents are coming along too. Not that I want my husband or I to be ill, but it might be worse on the others.
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #53
ScarletFire
DIS Veteran

A long, long time ago my family contracted food poison from a local steak house. How do I know? Dad paid with a VISA and the local health department contacted us by phone. The culprit was the salad maker. She'd been sick and neglected to wash her hands. YUCK!!!

It was horrible; my entire family got sick exactly 24 hours later. I remember the vomiting, muscle aches, and nobody to take care of me. Mom and Dad both sick too!

The health department may yet pinpoint the source. As I recall, it was a few weeks and a couple of calls from the health department before we knew the salad was the cause.

I read this thread when the OP first posted and it now has responses from others infected on the Africa Trek? Wow!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ScarletFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #54
Sanwich
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirikiUtundu View Post
I had the same line of questioning as kandb. Without conclusive testing it's going to be difficult to pinpoint the source of contamination. It sounds like they couldn't identify bacterial sources (the typical sources of what we think of as "food poisoning") so do you know if the issue could have been toxin (usually associated with a bacteria also) or viral?

Let me ask, of those in this thread who got sick, did you all wash your hands properly (meaning soap and water, lathering for an appropriate amount of time and not just relying on hand sanitizer) before eating? I took the trek in May and you are handling all sort of of things (not animals) that countless others have handled - harness, bridge rails, binoculars, truck surfaces etc.
As I mentioned, I'm a germophobe and made sure to properly wash my hands before eating. For what it's worth, I didn't eat the flower either.

The OC health department only just tried to contact me today, out of the blue... I had never reported our illess to anyone, nor did I have a clue it might be related to the Trek. So it looks like they're going down a list at this point, contacting people.

I hate to bring this up, because stuff happens in life and it's not always someone's fault, but I wonder if there's any chance of a refund from Disney. NOT for the entire trip or anything, but we did have to buy an extra hotel night because we were too sick to leave on our scheduled departure day. Probably not, since there's no way to prove it was definitely caused by the Trek, but oh well.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #55
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanwich View Post
As I mentioned, I'm a germophobe and made sure to properly wash my hands before eating. For what it's worth, I didn't eat the flower either.

The OC health department only just tried to contact me today, out of the blue... I had never reported our illess to anyone, nor did I have a clue it might be related to the Trek. So it looks like they're going down a list at this point, contacting people.

I hate to bring this up, because stuff happens in life and it's not always someone's fault, but I wonder if there's any chance of a refund from Disney. NOT for the entire trip or anything, but we did have to buy an extra hotel night because we were too sick to leave on our scheduled departure day. Probably not, since there's no way to prove it was definitely caused by the Trek, but oh well.
Until proof comes out that the food on the trek caused the illness, they are not going to give you anything. You may have to sue them after the fact in the end.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #56
Sanwich
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Until proof comes out that the food on the trek caused the illness, they are not going to give you anything. You may have to sue them after the fact in the end.
It was just a thought - like I said, I'm not really the "blaming" type, and certainly not sue-happy. Hopefully this was just an unfortunate circumstance that they'll figure out how to prevent in the future.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #57
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanwich View Post
It was just a thought - like I said, I'm not really the "blaming" type, and certainly not sue-happy. Hopefully this was just an unfortunate circumstance that they'll figure out how to prevent in the future.
If they give you anything before it is proven that the illness was caused by them, they open themselves up to lots of lawsuits. Their attorneys wouldn't let them offer you anything at this point.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #58
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanwich
The best way to handle this is to contact Disney's Guest Claims department and file a claim. You will be assigned a claim number and a contact person. Doing this triggers a multi page questionnaire sent to you which you complete and return. They will then investigate the circumstances of your claim. After their investigation is complete you will be contacted on how to proceed and at that time you can discuss with them expenses which you incurred as a result of the illness/incident. Completing the questionnaire only requires you to document your experience and provide a very detailed description of the problem, the illness and your symptoms.

I think quite a few people failed to recognize they encountered this on the tour. For my friends and I it was much easier since we did not eat or drink anything else together that whole week.

Good luck!
rkdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #59
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn
I personally ate the orchid however my other 2 friends did not. We all three became ill. So we officially ruled out the orchid early on in the investigation.
rkdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #60
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
If they give you anything before it is proven that the illness was caused by them, they open themselves up to lots of lawsuits. Their attorneys wouldn't let them offer you anything at this point.

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: