Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #31
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

How scary... glad you are feeling better and hope they pinpoint what was going on.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #32
kandb
DIS Veteran

I am a health inspector for a county health dept in NJ. My first question is, did your doctor or any of your other 2 friends, give stool samples to test for enteric pathogens? It's frustrating because alot of times, doctors don't test for foodbourne illness (stool samples) to find out what type of pathogen they are dealing with. I am hoping that you and your friends were tested properly. I am also thinking, that it is possible that you could have come into some type of pathogen (salmonella) along the trek (possibly touching handrails or animals) and infecting your hands and then when you ate, you ingested the pathogen. It is possible that it is from the food but I find it hard to believe that if it was melon or another food item that infected that many people over that many weeks, that the same food product wasn't used at other disney eateries and nobody got sick there. The Orlando health dept seems very pro-active, which is great. Hope they figure it out soon. Thanks for posting.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #33
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb
I am a health inspector for a county health dept in NJ. My first question is, did your doctor or any of your other 2 friends, give stool samples to test for enteric pathogens? It's frustrating because alot of times, doctors don't test for foodbourne illness (stool samples) to find out what type of pathogen they are dealing with. I am hoping that you and your friends were tested properly. I am also thinking, that it is possible that you could have come into some type of pathogen (salmonella) along the trek (possibly touching handrails or animals) and infecting your hands and then when you ate, you ingested the pathogen.
Thanks for the info. Interesting idea about touching something. We never touched any animals, that is not allowed of course. Although as we walked over the crocodiles I was thinking about petting them. :-) We never actually got within 20 feet of any animals. We walked through various trails, rode in a modified pickup truck quite a bit, stopped at the pavilion and at the 'office' where we got our gear and stored stuff in the lockers. There really weren't that many hand rails, but there were several gates we went through. I guess anything is possible though!

The ER did not do any stool testing they said it needed to "run it's course". Which it did! However the Osceola County Health Dept. did in fact ask the 3 of us to do stool samples and tested for a wide variety of pathogens, which we did. All testing turned up negative. It's my understanding others have also provided stool samples with no positive results. So that makes identifying the cause more difficult of course. Maybe the food surveys will turn up a pattern?
rkdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #34
kandb
DIS Veteran

With the stool samples, it's possible they only tested for bacteria (salmonella, camplobacter etc). It's very possible that it was a virus. It's my understanding that testing for virus's using stool requires (not to sound gross) but "a much larger amount of stool". It's possible that they did test for virus's (the most common foodborne illness is norovirus, which is highly contagious and is the bug that goes around cruise ships, daycares, nursing homes, disney etc). Thankfully, you are recovered. If it were me, I would ask the health dept. what they tested you and your friends for. We have gone to disney with my family for 6 straight years. Three out of the six times, one of my children has vomited while we were there, towards the end of the vacation (we usually stay around 10 days).
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #35
lilipad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
With the stool samples, it's possible they only tested for bacteria (salmonella, camplobacter etc). It's very possible that it was a virus. It's my understanding that testing for virus's using stool requires (not to sound gross) but "a much larger amount of stool". It's possible that they did test for virus's (the most common foodborne illness is norovirus, which is highly contagious and is the bug that goes around cruise ships, daycares, nursing homes, disney etc). Thankfully, you are recovered. If it were me, I would ask the health dept. what they tested you and your friends for. We have gone to disney with my family for 6 straight years. Three out of the six times, one of my children has vomited while we were there, towards the end of the vacation (we usually stay around 10 days).
Yikes! Thanks for the reminder to WASH YOUR HANDS!! I wonder if the hand sanitizer is sufficient in a pinch? After her salmonella scare (she almost died), my sister is super paranoid. And as you point out, it's not just the food that can make you sick. Just about anything your hands come into contact with can carry the germs (money, hand rails, etc.).
Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #36
padkins
Earning My Ears

Thanks

I can't reply to your pm because I have only posted this one time (two now) but I did read it and appreciate the info. I already talked with the health department but will contact Disney as well.
Our tour left at 11:45 that day. I'm so glad you posted and please pm me anything else I may need to know if you hear from Disney. I can read them but not reply yet. I am working toward ten posts so I can reply
Thanks again and stay in touch.
padkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #37
BLTLDZ
Loving our DVC :)

Yikes. Sorry to those that fell ill. DH & I both got ill one night after eating the same appetizer at a popular restaurant & I can tell you...NOT FUN. It was a full week before either of us could function properly.

I was wondering the same thing though...if it was actually from the food, or maybe having something to do with the animals, or perhaps the gear you put on in the locker room? I mean, you never know....at any rate, I hope the situation gets remedied soon!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #38
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
From that list of foods, I can immediately lock in on three or four that I'd be worried about.
Salmon can be eaten raw, and fish, in general, doesn't usually have a high bacteria count. It's possible it was spoiled (though, even through cream cheese, spoiled salmon would likely be noticeable)...but scombroid food poisoning generally is accompanied by a rash, and a burning sensation in the mouth and sinuses...not JUST N/V/D.

The cream cheese...maybe. But bad cream cheese is usually pretty obviously bad (it both tastes and smells bad when it spoils). The reports have been the food tasted pretty good. It could be exposure to some other contaminent...but for a "long term" outbreak..it would mean a LOT of cream cheese got exposed some how.

The fruit juice would likely not be a culprit. Unless it's drastically different than other Disney "blended" juices...it's not fresh squeezed. It's coming from bottles.

Unless the melon balls were exposed to something (feces, raw meat...some contaminent), they'd be unlikely to cause the type of food poisoning described. All things considered, it would be surprising for a kind of "long term" outbreak to be from that source..since it would require ALL those melons (AFTER being cut and "balled) to be exposed to a similar contaminent. Maybe one trek..but a bunch of them? That would indicate a pretty large problem in Disney's prep process.

The beef, though, would be the most worrisome. If it was carrying some bacteria (e-coli?), you'd never notice by the flavor or smell. It would taste fine...but it could cause SERIOUS illness. Did anyone effected have anything cultured out (tested)?

Last edited by pilferk; 07-09-2012 at 01:25 PM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #39
padkins
Earning My Ears

I ate everything they offered on the tour. First of all because most of it was stuff that I had never tried or normally wouldn't eat, and second of all - because we paid for it and I'm cheap like that.

They only thing I didn't eat completely was the salmon with cream cheese. I didn't like the flavor nor the texture. The health department said this would be very difficult to pinpoint the exact source because almost everyone they had talked to who had gotten sick (around 20 people now if I recall correctly) said the same thing as I said - they had tried it all.

I am so glad to be over that - it was definitely the sickest I've ever been and was way different than any virus I've ever had. This lingered and was very painful deep down in my gut. I just hope they've fixed the issue so that no one else is getting sick.
padkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #40
gadeac
Earning My Ears

My wife, some friends and I take this tour in a week and a half. Kind of questioning eating the food now.

Of course its like someone said, it could have been something picked up from a handrail or some where else.
gadeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #41
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadeac View Post
My wife, some friends and I take this tour in a week and a half. Kind of questioning eating the food now.

Of course its like someone said, it could have been something picked up from a handrail or some where else.
My son and I went on the trek June 19th. I ate most of the food and had no issues. I wouldn't neccessarily be worried. Based on the previous posts, Disney knows when people got sick. Even if they don't pinpoint the cause, I'd bet someone has looked at possibilities and reviewed procedures.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #42
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilipad View Post
Yikes! Thanks for the reminder to WASH YOUR HANDS!! I wonder if the hand sanitizer is sufficient in a pinch? After her salmonella scare (she almost died), my sister is super paranoid. And as you point out, it's not just the food that can make you sick. Just about anything your hands come into contact with can carry the germs (money, hand rails, etc.).
You have to check the label on the hand sanitizer. Not all kill the same things. And some are better than others.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #43
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

It is my belief that eating more slowly and chewing food more thoroughly cuts down on the chance of getting food poisoning.

Also some individuals may be more resistant so if some persons ate the same course and did not get sick, that does not prove anything.

Finger foods of all descriptions can lead to illness if you use bare fingers to hold them.

Health hints: http://www.cockam.com/health.htm
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #44
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Salmon can be eaten raw, and fish, in general, doesn't usually have a high bacteria count. It's possible it was spoiled (though, even through cream cheese, spoiled salmon would likely be noticeable)...but scombroid food poisoning generally is accompanied by a rash, and a burning sensation in the mouth and sinuses...not JUST N/V/D.
I've never had their salmon/cream cheese rollups. Is there a sauce that goes on them? Scallions, onions, greens of any kind?

Quote:
The cream cheese...maybe. But bad cream cheese is usually pretty obviously bad (it both tastes and smells bad when it spoils). The reports have been the food tasted pretty good. It could be exposure to some other contaminent...but for a "long term" outbreak..it would mean a LOT of cream cheese got exposed some how.
Agreed, but a thin layer with enough salmon might mask the flavor.

Quote:
The fruit juice would likely not be a culprit. Unless it's drastically different than other Disney "blended" juices...it's not fresh squeezed. It's coming from bottles.
Did they float fresh fruit in it?

Quote:
Unless the melon balls were exposed to something (feces, raw meat...some contaminent), they'd be unlikely to cause the type of food poisoning described. All things considered, it would be surprising for a kind of "long term" outbreak to be from that source..since it would require ALL those melons (AFTER being cut and "balled) to be exposed to a similar contaminent. Maybe one trek..but a bunch of them? That would indicate a pretty large problem in Disney's prep process.
One bad melon baller can cut a lot of melon balls in one shift... bad/failed dishwashing?

Quote:
The beef, though, would be the most worrisome. If it was carrying some bacteria (e-coli?), you'd never notice by the flavor or smell. It would taste fine...but it could cause SERIOUS illness. Did anyone effected have anything cultured out (tested)?
That's one thing I wasn't worried about -- for some reason, I had the impression the beef was dried. On closer review, I see that wasn't stated, so yeah, e. coli or other critter could be an issue.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #45
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Yikes.

I'm glad you are all okay. Hopefully, whatever caused the problem is obliterated. It's good to know that there are folks taking this seriously and doing their job to find out what caused it.
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: