Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

My God, man, that's terrible! Hope you're fully recovered.

So, the incipient journalist inside me wants to know -- what exactly did you have to eat in that meal.

Not that lightning ever strikes twice in the same place or anything (it does!), but once bitten, twice shy, if you don't mind the cliche...
Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post

So, the incipient journalist inside me wants to know -- what exactly did you have to eat in that meal.

Not that lightning ever strikes twice in the same place or anything (it does!), but once bitten, twice shy, if you don't mind the cliche...
If there was a problem at Disney, I'm sure they have identified it by now because they don't want the negative publicity to make them lose money. They are going to go over their kitchens, their policies, their staff to make sure it doesn't happen again if it did result from their tour.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Quote:

Which one?

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
padkins
Earning My Ears

Me too

I have read this board forever and love it but have never posted. This thread made me have to post. On June 8th I was on the trek and the next night by midnight I was extremely sick. The vomiting lasted about five hours but the severe pain, cramping and diarrhea lasted over a week. It was the sickest I've ever been.
Yesterday I read this and then checked the mail last night to find a letter from the Orange County health department with information about the investigation and asking me to call if I had gotten sick. It was after hours but I left a message. Hopefully someone will get back to me next week. Should I contact Disney directly as well?
I have only had food poisoning one other time but this was exactly the same, but worse. It was two weeks before I felt "right" again.
padkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz

The food served on the Trek is a selection of various small portion items that give you a sample of various foods. For example they had fruit melon balls, pita bread, hummus, thinly sliced ham and beef, salmon and cream cheese roll, shrimp, an edible orchid, a bended fruit juice, a water canteen and a few other items. You can find pictures of the food by using Google and searching for Wild Africa Trek food pictures.

Everyone gets served the same meal, however different people eat different items of course. The food actually tasted very good at the time. Not so much later....
rkdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padkins
Yesterday I read this and then checked the mail last night to find a letter from the Orange County health department with information about the investigation and asking me to call if I had gotten sick. It was after hours but I left a message. Hopefully someone will get back to me next week. Should I contact Disney directly as well?
I have only had food poisoning one other time but this was exactly the same, but worse. It was two weeks before I felt "right" again.
So sorry you also got sick! It was a tough week for sure! Yes, you should contact Disneys guest claims department and initiate a claim. Just describe the scenario and what happened. They will send you some forms to complete and return to them. I sent you a private message with additional information and the contact number. Let me know if you have any problems getting the message.

The health department has been very good about staying in touch. They will also do a phone survey with you and ask what foods you ate or did not eat that day.

To answer one other posters question, from the information I have, it appears that all those who have become sick were on a Wild Africa Trek tour. This had to occur on multiple days sinse there are only 12 people maximum on any given tour. Keep in mind that all food for this tour is actually prepared at the Tusker House restaurant in Animal Kingdom and brought out to the tour location by coolers in a truck. There are many factors in the food process where contamination may occur and I suspect they are examining all of them closely with this many people being sick.

I will post updates if I get any additional information.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
larryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdahl View Post
The food served on the Trek is a selection of various small portion items that give you a sample of various foods. For example they had fruit melon balls, pita bread, hummus, thinly sliced ham and beef, salmon and cream cheese roll, shrimp, an edible orchid, a blended fruit juice, a water canteen and a few other items.
From that list of foods, I can immediately lock in on three or four that I'd be worried about.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Quote:
From that list of foods, I can immediately lock in on three or four that I'd be worried about.
Yeah but that's the exact same fruit juice they serve at Tusker House. Jungle Juice or Jamba Juice, its' called. (One of the two!) If it was the juice, there would've been a WHOLE lot more people sick because it's served standard at the buffet!!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
Eljay
DIS Veteran

Location: Lounging around the Royal Assante Suite at the AKL in my leopard pajamas, drinking Champagne! (In my dreams!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdahl View Post
...fruit melon balls, pita bread, hummus, thinly sliced ham and beef, salmon and cream cheese roll, shrimp, an edible orchid, a bended fruit juice, a water canteen and a few other items....
Quote:
I'm wondering if they can properly clean those canteens, if they are anything like the canteens I know, with the narrow openings.
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
larryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
I'm wondering if they can properly clean those canteens, if they are anything like the canteens I know, with the narrow openings.
Canteens are easy to sanitize. I'd be worried about 1) supply chain problems with salmonella in the fruits & juice, 2) temperature issues delivering the food from Tusker House to the outdoor dining area, 3) Chinese shrimp and third-world country salmon used in the seafood items.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #26
ireland_nicole
No brainer- the fairy wins it
Personally, I'm an on site girl

Everyone gets their own water bottle that goes home with them, so that's not the source. If its at all helpful in pinpointing the source, my DS and I took the 8am trek on June 6. I tried everything, eating all of the melon balls, cured meats, salmon roll and bits of the rest. I also had a cup of juice. My son had the kids meal. We did not become ill thankfully.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
Haley
DIS Veteran

But were you from 3 separate households??

Sorry couldn't help myself sorry you got sick, though!!
Disney Trips: Ft Wilderness '83, Ft. Wilderness '91, ASM July'96, Boardwalk/DCL Magic July '98, CBR/DCL Wonder '00, DCL Magic '03, CBR July '04, CBR May '05, AKL Oct '05, Poly Dec '06, DCL Wonder '06, Beach Club May '07, DCL Wonder '07, Pop/AKL Oct '08 Engaged, Ft. Wild. May 09, Poly Oct 09 Honeymoon!, DCL Magic Nov '09, Pop Oct '10, AoA/BCV Oct '12, Pop Century Dec '13!
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland_nicole
Everyone gets their own water bottle that goes home with them, so that's not the source.
Thanks for the info. Glad you guys didn't get sick!

You are right everyone gets their own empty canteen. However, on our tour, and maybe on all tours, everyone fills their canteen from a common water source. It was an enclosed water container so I could to see what the source of the water we filled our container with was.

I really appreciate those people who have gone on the tour recently, posting if they got I'll or not. Eventually we (and the health department) will get to the common source of contamination.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #29
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley
But were you from 3 separate households??

Sorry couldn't help myself sorry you got sick, though!!
Yes, we were from three separate households living some distance from each other. The wives never became ill and they went shopping that day. I will never live that down, "see, it's better if I go shopping"!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #30
lilipad
Mouseketeer

What a horrible vacation souvenir! I'm impressed that the health department is contacting all of you all. It shows how they are taking this seriously.

My mother had salmonella a few years ago in AZ. She was hospitalized for about a week -- she was so sick. The health dept never contacted her even though it was positively identified -- which is really scary b/c I think it can easily spread. We know she got it from eating restaurant or deli-type foods. Her Dr said one of the worst offenders is canteloupe. You have to wash it with soap very carefully. Several years prior, my sister in OR was also sick (and hospitalized) w/salmonella. The OR health dept did contact her.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. I hope the issue is resolved quickly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: