Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

I don't think you're crazy. It's natural to worry, but you trust your DS and his friends. It sounds like they're already making smart decisions by choosing to take public transportation in the city, rather than drive.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
krcit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockawaybeachgirl View Post
Marcy I'm a little confused- I assumed they were going to a Yankee game (the Bronx girl showing her bias ) but are they going to a mets gAme? Citifield is in queens- so are they taking the subway to meet the friend who drove in? Just not sure how this is working. If he's parking at citifield why do they need the subway. Btw there's plenty of parking by Citifield - expensive, but plentiful!
I think they are taking the subway from Citifield into the city. They will be fine

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockawaybeachgirl View Post
Marcy I'm a little confused- I assumed they were going to a Yankee game (the Bronx girl showing her bias ) but are they going to a mets gAme? Citifield is in queens- so are they taking the subway to meet the friend who drove in? Just not sure how this is working. If he's parking at citifield why do they need the subway. Btw there's plenty of parking by Citifield - expensive, but plentiful!
They are going to the Phillies(Mets) game. They are all driving in together early, parking at the stadium, and then hoping to visit another friend who just so happens to be in the MLB Fan Cave. I think the Fan Cave is in Manhattan, so wouldnt they need to take the subway from Citifield to get there? My DSs friend has done this before so I am just going by what DS is telling me.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Sounds like a fun time with friends.,,and your worrying is normal too!

(FWIW - I will be sending off DD to college next year - so while I know she is good and ready for college - I will probably stop worrying when she is about 35!)

So - relax...and wait to hear about the adventure!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #20
delilah
DIS Veteran

we

I grew up in the Chicago area, not in NYC, but, beginning in HS (9th grade or so), my friends and I would take the train into the city and do things in the loop and elsewhere in the city (like go to Cubs games). Now, this was a different time, of course, and we lived on a commuter line, with trains leaving to downtown every 15 minutes or so. The trip would take about an hour on the train. When we got old enough to drive, we would drive downtown (but parking downtown is no fun, so, usually we took the train).
I think that 17 is plenty old enough for the type of excursion you describe, but, you know your child best.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #21
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

Considering I was sneaking into NYC on my own without my parents' knowledge from 15 on, I'm sure he will be fine.
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #22
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
Considering I was sneaking into NYC on my own without my parents' knowledge from 15 on, I'm sure he will be fine.
Starting at 15 we used to go to the city all the time- we would have concert tickets for MSG so we would take the train in early and walk around the city for a few hours before the concert- didn't even have to sneak, my parents were fine with it.

OP I would have no problem with them going- Citifield is easy to get to and pleanty of parking- not like city driving at all.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

HECK no now that I know it is a Mets game

My cousin lives in Long Island she let her dd who is now 17 take the subway into the city for the first time about a year ago maybe a little longer. She was with all her friends they had a class assignment to do. She was nervous but she went. I say yes I would let my 17 year old go...aside from seeing the mets it sounds fun
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #24
marcyinPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
HECK no now that I know it is a Mets game

My cousin lives in Long Island she let her dd who is now 17 take the subway into the city for the first time about a year ago maybe a little longer. She was with all her friends they had a class assignment to do. She was nervous but she went. I say yes I would let my 17 year old go...aside from seeing the mets it sounds fun
Clarify: They are going to see the PHILLIES! Citifield has this cool deal for certain games- tickets are $10 for students with an ID. From what I understand, they have trouble filling their stadium anyway. This would never happen at Citizens Bank Park- tickets are hard to come by. Well, maybe after this season, they won't be as hard to get...
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #25
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

I don't think it is a big deal. He is old enough and I am guessing you think he is responsible. The city really isn't this crime filled hotbed of terror.
I love the city and it is easy to get around. He will be fine imo. I do know that us Moms worry about everything though. We can't help ourselves!
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #26
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Clarify: They are going to see the PHILLIES! Citifield has this cool deal for certain games- tickets are $10 for students with an ID. From what I understand, they have trouble filling their stadium anyway. This would never happen at Citizens Bank Park- tickets are hard to come by. Well, maybe after this season, they won't be as hard to get...
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #27
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

I think if you trust the kids he is going with you are fine. No one tells parents how hard it is when they grow up and they are now out of your control. It was so much easier when they are small and they have to do what they told and you are with them most if the time. I thought it would be easier when they got older but it's not. There are so many more things to worry about and they are things that you can't fix if they do go wrong

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Nancy for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
marcyinPA

Plans change with teenagers SO quickly!! So- as of today, they are no longer going into the city, but just going to the game. So, driving in, parking, and staying put. I guess one of the kids who is going can't leave as early as they had wanted to, so there won't be time to do anything else.

Let's see how many more changes there are before tomorrow...
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

I don't see anything wrong with it. I'd let him go, then I'd be a nervous wreck like you LOL. Sounds like fun for them.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #30
avgeek81
DIS Veteran

Im from CT and my friends and I would take the train in NYC to hang out with no real plan starting around 15. We would walk, take the subway or taxis once we got there. We never drove tho, still usually take the train when Im going into the city
avgeek81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: