DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I already bought . I joined on the cruise june 2nd only got 100 points . I am not planning on cruising with it exclusively . And definely plan on using them for DVC stays . You are right I had looked into buying enough point to cruise with before my trip and found that it wasen't worth it to buy enough points to cruise , but if every now and then go on a cruise with banked and borrowed points would seem like a good idea to me .

The big problem we found with this plan for us was that meant we weren't going to Disney. Like you, we have a small number of points (150). We use them to go to Disney every other year - we have kids and like to have a two bedroom. 300 points doesn't go far on a cruise, 450 doesn't go much farther, but we might get the adults paid for. But that means we'd not make it to WDW for five or six years in order to cruise. (worst case: Go to Disney in 2011, using 2011 and 2012 points - bank 2013 points, cruise in 2014 using points from 2013, 2014, 2015, bank 2016 points, go back to WDW in 2017) When we wanted to cruise, our kids were prime Disney age.

So we've paid cash for the two Disney cruises we've taken, and we've gone to Disney with our DVC points.

Now the kids are older and we might not want to go to WDW so often, so using three years of points to cruise and not getting to Disney for six years, or when the kids go off to college and my husband and I can stay in a studio, it might not be a bad deal. But when we looked into it, cash made a lot more sense.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I already bought . I joined on the cruise june 2nd only got 100 points . I am not planning on cruising with it exclusively . And definely plan on using them for DVC stays . You are right I had looked into buying enough point to cruise with before my trip and found that it wasen't worth it to buy enough points to cruise , but if every now and then go on a cruise with banked and borrowed points would seem like a good idea to me .
Realistically you won't be able to cruise and visit DVC resorts with only 100 points but I see that as a good thing because you can use that # of points with DVC and look at cash options for cruises and then compare both DCL and other cruise options as well without being tied to one and a the mercy of DVD.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
scotte9
Earning My Ears

I also was on the fantasy recently and considered the DVC and looked at it from every point of view and there was no scenario in which it made sense at the current pricing even with their current incentives to use it exclusively for DCL. However, when I came home I looked into who was trying to sell their DVC memberships. To my surprise I saw offers that were 50-60% less than if I would've purchased directly from DVC. Obviously there are other factors you need to consider should you decide to purchase from someone other than DVC, but it could be a great option.
scotte9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Here's what would stop me from buying points just for cruising:

1. DCL only makes some cabin inventory available for cruising. It's entirely possible that you could be unable to book a cruise on points that is available for cash. Happens all the time.

2. Points required for cruising can and do go up every year. So, it's quite possible that you could buy the large number of points required for cruising this year , and in a few years discover that you no longer have enough points to cruise. Then what?

3. DCL is not part of your ownership in DVC. They could end their participation in DVC exchanges tomorrow. Not at all likely in the near term, of course, but just be aware that there's no guarantee whatsoever that DCL won't further limit the number of cabins available, or eliminate bookings on points altogether, at some point in the future. That DVC contract you'd sign gives you access to the DVC resorts. The exchange stuff is just a perk, subject to change anytime.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Disney holds all the cards and can do what ever they want for any reason that they want. Karl Holz is the President of Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, Disney Vacation Club and Aulani.

You would think that DVC would get a wonderful deal on DCL and ABD but that's not what Disney thinks. They are in Business to make money and if cash guests pay more than DVC, cash guests will have availability and DVC will not.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #21
keaster
DIS Veteran

We bought into DVC on a cruise, and our guide was very clear and honest with us...he said DVC is NOT a good value if you plan on using points for cruising all the time.

We plan to alternate, and use points for cruising maybe every couple of years. Or a combination of points/cash like we are doing on the Fantasy in March (we used points for me/DH and cash for DD).

DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012/AKL Kidani - August 2012/BLT - March 2013/SSR Treehouse - August 2013/AKL Kidani - March 2014/VGF - June 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
LSROD
Earning My Ears

how it worked for us: in may 2009 we bought 200 points as new dvc members: banked those points for 2010. so in 2010 we had 400 points. booked a cruise on the disney wonder (3 night cruise) for 2 adults and 2 kids: paid $95 and 253 vacation points. plus booked one night in a one bedroom at boardwalk villa garden view for 24 points. we banked the remainder points and went to disney in july of 2011 booked a 2 room villa at saratoga springs and took 3 friends with us. we had 95 points left and banked those to 2012 use year and are now stuck trying to sell them as they expire in jan. we have 400 points for 2013 and plan on taking a bigger cruise and skipping port adventures plus we will be living near the port. So i think using points for the cruise works out nicely. we got a inside deluxe stateroom cat.10 and went to atlantis. the atlantis trip cost alittle over 600.00 there is no way we could have paid cash for a cruise, afford airfare and hotel w/o the use of our points. Be advised that if you do stay at the disney hotels transportation from the hotel to the port will cost you about 35.00 per person and there is a fee for kids as well. being military we can't always take a vacation so banking them into one big trip works for us so we can take advantage of the times we do actually get to take a vacation. 200 points a year is more than enough for our family of 4. there a lot of options that you can use with dvc membership.
LSROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
Tinkerbell55
Earning My Ears

Cruising on DVC

We did not purchase our DVC points for Cruising, however it turned out to be a very worthwhile method for our entire family to Cruise together on the Disney Dream. We are a family of eleven, three separate families. We contacted Member Services to determine if there were options for such a trip with the limited number of points we had. In reading these treads no one has mentioned this scenario for cruising with Disney.

Once Member Services gave us our options it was pretty clear that we all could accomplish this trip by using the points we had purchased several years before. Yes, we had to sacrifice a little and were required to use all of our annual points and borrow most to the points from the next year to accomplish this trip. Member Services suggested that we use our points for the adults in our three cabin accomodations and pay cash for the five children, since the cruise rates for children is less than adults. This allowed our family to cruise on the Disney Dream for four nights to the Bahamas, with the least amount of out of pocket cash and points that were available to us. Without the use of our points our young families would not have been able to afford and experience such a great cruise.

As we read more and understand the numbers game of economics, we may forget our reasons for purchasing DVC. Value is important, which turned our heads to invest in a vacation club in the first place, but this is not necessarily always the most important factor. It is more then just numbers, it is about "Memories", when our family can vacation together and have a fabulous time on this magnificent ship that provided a trip of a life time that will never be forgotten by all family members including the youngest three year old. We can truly say we received the total value of our DVC Vacation Points.
Tinkerbell55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: