Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Question Downtown Disney what do you think is wrong?

What do think is DTD's problem. What would you change?

The biggest thing I hate about it is that mountain of a hill it is. We walk by the parking lot when we want to get from marketplace to west side just so we don't have to walk up and down that huge hill. Anyone know why it is like that? I think if they made if flatter more people would venture into it.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104(Mother & Son Trip)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielRae View Post
What do think is DTD's problem. What would you change?

The biggest thing I hate about it is that mountain of a hill it is. We walk by the parking lot when we want to get from marketplace to west side just so we don't have to walk up and down that huge hill. Anyone know why it is like that? I think if they made if flatter more people would venture into it.
I totally agree with this...I hate the hill/mountain too. Very poor design IMHO.

I don't know, I think the West side is just boring now. There is no reason to go over there for me anymore. They need to do something creative to interest people. Seems like everything on the West side is stuff I could find anywhere. It reminds me of two outdoor malls that I have here, so why bother?
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

I mainly hang out at Marketplace....never really cared for the other areas

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I don't think the hill (which I can't say I ever even noticed honestly) is the problem. I think they just have no idea what to do with everything outside of the Marketplace. The only thing on the West Side I care about is HOB and even that was when I was living down there and went to concerts.

I have no idea what has become of Pleasure Island/Hyperion Warf in the past year but there has been nothing interesting there in years.

There is a pretty big incline in World Showcase too (which I never noticed until I finished the marathon around it) but since there are things worth seeing people go and don't even notice the hilliness for the most part. If there was something compelling all over DTD people would walk it regardless of the terrain.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

I think the problem is it grew larger than intended and they didn't properly plan things out. Both the West Side and DHS were built as knee jerk reactions to what Universal was doing and it shows in their lack of design.

In terms of DTD though, I don't think they anticipated the growth at the resort and as a result, the long, spread out design of the entire area is just incredibly taxing on people. Most people go to the Marketplace, it's always packed over there, but if you took a look at the map, or even if you know what's on the west side, you think "do I really want to walk alllll the way down there" for many, especially the ones who KNOW how far it is, the answer is no.

What they have needed since WS was built is a viable transportation option to move people through the sections. Had they done this, PI wouldn't have had to be un-gated and it wouldn't be the black hole it is now.

Marketplace is fine, PI is a black hole, and WS is nothing but a strip mall. 2/3 sections need to be fixed. They are making progress on WS with Splittsville in my opinion, but there is absolutely no progress on PI, and that's what "fires me up"

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
belle41379
Disney is my happy place.

We love DTD and usually visit at least twice per trip. That being said, I think the biggest problem is what has been previously stated.

The available space desperately needs to be utilized in order to cut back some on the massive crowds that gather at Marketplace each evening. Perhaps they could even open a World of Disney West Side, with slightly different merchandise, to draw people that direction. They could also put in a splash area. I mean, the space outside the Adventure Club is a great space. So many things could happen in this area.

I for one liked DTD when most of the stores were specific. I don't much care for Lil Missmatched, that magnet store, the Harley store (when it was there), etc. However, I LOVED going into the Disney Home Store (currently Goofys Candy). They coud use some of the space on West Side for those kinds of stores perhaps. I believe Disney related stores will draw more people/traffic than stores you can see at specialty malls/airports.

belle41379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
zulemara

The Harley store was moved off PI down to West Side, perhaps in an effort to draw people. Clearly that's not working if people don't know it still exists!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Others have mentioned it... but ultimately, I think what is wrong with DTD is that there really isn't any reason to even go there anymore, unless you know what you are already going and looking for. And at this point, Everything worth doing is over in the original section of the Village.

Going for your Disney Souvenirs? World of Disney is where you are headed. There are also a couple other smaller Disney Specialty shops still over nearby, such as the Sports store and Tren-D. Oh... and don't forget the Lego store for all your Lego needs (and cool lego sculptures, right next door to the World of Disney.

How about a nice Counter Service meal? or a tasty Snack? Again.... the Marketplace. Earl of Sandwich or Godiva's. Not really even any options anyplace else.

Ok.... How about a Show? In that case, You've already made reservations for Cirque, so you already know where you are going and when to be there.

Table Service meal? Well, there are a couple options over on the West Side.... but you obviously already know what you want to eat and where it's located because Disney has trained you on the ADR's to know what your options are long in advance.

Disneyquest? Also already planned. You aren't just going to walk up and Discover DisneyQuest.

I Know! you want to have some fun at night? Oh.... I'm sorry.... You can go to a Disney Park, Watch a movie, your pool resort.... or Citywalk. We don't really offer anything for you here.

There really isn't any reason to venture or explore the area under normal circumstances. Honestly, the only times i've walked the length of DTD in my past several trips were either due to where I finally found a parking space.... or the Festival of the Masters. It also doesn't help that for a large number of people, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to venture over to non-disney retail locations. With airlines charging more for baggage now, Who would want to not only take time out of their vacation to shop at a place they can probably find closer to home, but then take away valuable and expensive storage space in their bags for the return trip which could be better put to use with Disney souvenirs that you can't get anywhere else?
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Total rumor and I think it was mentioned during the DTD segment, but the reason Hyperian Wharf was dropped was because the theme conflicted too much with the Boardwalk district. Disney did not want to have two areas of the resort with a similar theme/look.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

We only ever see the Virgin Atlantic bag drop area and the Marketplace, and a visit to the latter never seems to go further then the chocolate shop.

One thing I would change is adding more restrooms!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip! ~ The One Where I Finally Ride Splash????

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
KimStaR
this water smells like splash mountain

Thommy, LOVED your segment this week! How did you become a correspondent? I've known about your passion for PI/DTD, but you have such a great knowledge base about this history. Really great, different, segment. Awesome to hear ya! Missed you on PCC 3.0!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

I do love DTD and miss Pleasure Island. I prefer to go to the Marketplace in the mornings before it gets crowded.

This was a good segment. Pleasure Island went downhill when they took down the gates and made it open. I really miss 8 Tracks and the Adventurer's Club. I too went when I was on the college program. It was good place to have a good time and you could get a ride back to the apartments at the end of the night.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
zulemara

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimStaR View Post
Thommy, LOVED your segment this week! How did you become a correspondent? I've known about your passion for PI/DTD, but you have such a great knowledge base about this history. Really great, different, segment. Awesome to hear ya! Missed you on PCC 3.0!
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm extremely self conscious about how I sound on the mic and such so all the positive feedback is good :-)

I emailed Pete after he asked for Orlando locals to help out the show. He asked what my passion is and the first thing I said was DTD and the closing of PI specifically, followed by another topic yet to be disclosed :-)

I know, I was REALLY sad about PCC 3.0 but with a wedding cruise to pay for next year and possibly a Fantasy honeymoon to pay for, plus moving to C eh N eh D eh, I have to save the pennies. I doubt I'll be making 4.0 for the same reason, but I'm considering either not podcast cruise 1.0 or podcast cruise 5, whenever they announce it.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle41379 View Post
I for one liked DTD when most of the stores were specific. I don't much care for Lil Missmatched, that magnet store, the Harley store (when it was there), etc. However, I LOVED going into the Disney Home Store (currently Goofys Candy). They coud use some of the space on West Side for those kinds of stores perhaps. I believe Disney related stores will draw more people/traffic than stores you can see at specialty malls/airports.
ITA. Anytime I wander over to West Side (not often) by far the busiest store is the Vinylmation store. So why not put a Disney Home store over there, I definitely miss the one that Goofy's took over. Or how about a Pixar store or Muppets? A Disney jewelery store? I'd go to the West Side for that. Maybe move the Disney Gallery store over there and make it bigger, a real show case for Disney art. I don't know, maybe it's me, and it very well could be, but when you are at Disney you want to buy Disney stuff.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Ever since DTD opened, they have not been able to make up their minds about just what they want to do down there.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: