Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #1141
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastgal View Post
I found a map by googling Disneyworld area and resorts. There is a good map in the front of Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld. I bought the book and suscribed to the website touringplans.com but the site is available for free. I just paid for personalized itineraries. The website otherwise is free.
I have spoken to people and HS&Epcot are less than 10 min and AK&MK are 15-20 min. However, from MK parking is another 10-20 min to get inside.
Can anyone verify?
I've never stayed at BC but I've stayed at most of the disney resorts in the vicinity of BC. BC is no different, IMO, than driving from those disney resorts. You can't get any closer! You are practically on disney property.
Wonders10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #1142
Momma2PrinceNPrinces
DIS Veteran

This is probably full of stupid questions! But, DH and I were just talking about this and I didn't know the answer. When you stay at WBC and rent through a management company (or I guess rent from anyone for that matter) you're not renting a specific unit, correct? But what I don't understand is how it works exactly. These management companies are renting out other people's units for them, so do they not own a specific unit? So, when they go there for their vacation, do they also just get whatever is available as well when they check in? Is it even possible to own a unit at WBC and that one is the one you always stay in?

WDW '81, '90, '98,'02, '06 (US day trip after Carnival Cruise),'11 ,'13, '14, '15 (US/IOA)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/uwdk55avik9l4cm1.png[/img]
Momma2PrinceNPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #1143
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2PrinceNPrinces View Post
This is probably full of stupid questions! But, DH and I were just talking about this and I didn't know the answer. When you stay at WBC and rent through a management company (or I guess rent from anyone for that matter) you're not renting a specific unit, correct? But what I don't understand is how it works exactly. These management companies are renting out other people's units for them, so do they not own a specific unit? So, when they go there for their vacation, do they also just get whatever is available as well when they check in? Is it even possible to own a unit at WBC and that one is the one you always stay in?
WBC is a points based resort, and not a Fixed week Resort.

In a points Based resort (Such as WBC or in a way, DVC), the owner's contract gives them a percentage ownership of the resort, or a portion of a specific building at the Resort. In WBC's case, An Owner might own 320000 points out of the 15000000 contained in Tower 1 (numbers pulled outa my butt since i don't know off the top of my head the exact point totals for each building.). The Owner then uses those points like currency to book a stay at the resort as each unit has a set cost. (The Tower's point total would be determined by adding up the cost to stay in every unit in the tower for an entire year.).

With a Fixed Week Resort (The more traditional Time Share Arrangement), an owner's contract/deed would have them owning Unit XXX during week XX.

There are advantages to both types of ownership... and down sides to both as well. For Example, With the Points based resorts, You may have a lot more flexibility in when you stay and the unit size you stay in..... But you may run into more problems with lack of availability during busier times as more owners try to book that same time frame. With a Fixed week based resort, You'll always know the exact unit [and it's quirks] that you will get and you know that there will never be a problem getting the availability during your week..... but you also don't have nearly the same flexibility... as in... none. (own a two bedroom fixed week, but only need/want a 1bdrm this year? stuck in the 2bdrm. Don't want to take your vacation this year during week 33? sorry.... you own week 33 and so that's the only time it's available for you.).

In recent history, the Points Based timeshare has grown in popularity, to the point that I believe most new resorts are sold this way. Even some old points based resorts are trying to convert their owners to points based ownership. From a sales perspective, the Points based resorts just become easier to sell out because they can use the flexibility angle to make it sound more apealing. It also makes it easier to tie resorts within the resort management family (Wyndham...DVC....Marriott... etc) into an internal trading system offering more flexibility to the owners (more attractive to the buyers).... and what I think may be the biggest perk from a sales perspective..... Rather than being stuck trying to move northern beachfront resort fixed weeks in the dead of winter when demand would be low (and therefore the price you could realistically sell it for), They can treat all the points for the resort the same, making it easier to completely sell out the resort at the same higher price point.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #1144
Momma2PrinceNPrinces
DIS Veteran

DC...Thanks a million for that explanation! I totally get it now!

WDW '81, '90, '98,'02, '06 (US day trip after Carnival Cruise),'11 ,'13, '14, '15 (US/IOA)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/uwdk55avik9l4cm1.png[/img]
Momma2PrinceNPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #1145
blakefamily
Mouseketeer

What is the earliest you've been able to check in?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #1146
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
WBC is a points based resort, and not a Fixed week Resort.

With a Fixed week based resort, You'll always know the exact unit [and it's quirks] that you will get and you know that there will never be a problem getting the availability during your week..... but you also don't have nearly the same flexibility... as in... none. (own a two bedroom fixed week, but only need/want a 1bdrm this year? stuck in the 2bdrm. Don't want to take your vacation this year during week 33? sorry.... you own week 33 and so that's the only time it's available for you.).

I hate to quibble with you, since you are without a doubt incredibly knowledgable, not to mention helpful, kind and, well I guess it's not allowed to say anymore, good looking.
However, I have been told that for example if you have a 2 BR fixed week, you can take a 1 BR for 2 weeks.
And let me add another benefit to fixed week--for the SPONSOR. The sales weasels will tell you, oh, you can always trade for another week. But they charge a fee! Want a different resort? You can trade---for a fee. I have points (although for some bizarre reason Wyndham puts me in the weeks category) at Star Island, but never stayed there since I own. And no other location has ever cost me a penny extra (except for one RCI trade).

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #1147
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
I hate to quibble with you, since you are without a doubt incredibly knowledgable, not to mention helpful, kind and, well I guess it's not allowed to say anymore, good looking.
However, I have been told that for example if you have a 2 BR fixed week, you can take a 1 BR for 2 weeks.
And let me add another benefit to fixed week--for the SPONSOR. The sales weasels will tell you, oh, you can always trade for another week. But they charge a fee! Want a different resort? You can trade---for a fee. I have points (although for some bizarre reason Wyndham puts me in the weeks category) at Star Island, but never stayed there since I own. And no other location has ever cost me a penny extra (except for one RCI trade).
No problem. I was trying to just give a high level overview and not dig down into specifics or different exceptions, or even really touch upon the rental/trade aspect of the differences.

With the "traditional" fixed week, You got your unit for your week. If you wanted to try and do something like a 1 wk 2bdrm for 2 weeks in a 1bdrm, it somtimes could be done, but would be considered a trade (with any resulting fees charged). You could also if you owned a lockout type unit, split the unit and stay in the 1bdrm while renting out the lockout side.

I've also seen/heard of companies working to try and "convert" fixed week ownerships into points ownerships. I know my brother was offered to convert the fixed week at Resort World he inherited from my parents to a points based ownership for the "low price" of $10k a few years back.....IOW's... they basically were trying to sell him his week again. needless to say, he said no.

As for the RCI points vs. Weeks categories... I couldn't tell you what's up there. My first RCI ownership was at WBC... which is a points based resort, yet I was given an RCI Weeks membership.

We could start getting into the details of pros/cons and comparisons of owning a fixed week vs. a points timeshare.... trading... etc... but that's probably a better fit for a forum such as TUG, or at the very least, outside of this thread.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #1148
Protaras76
Earning My Ears

Hi I'm sure I've read somewhere that to use the tires on the lazy river is a charge is that correct also the mini golf??? If so how much is it and are you able to use tour own tires on the lazy river, my kids have some that they take on every holiday but of your not allowed to use them then they can say at home this time lol
Protaras76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #1149
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protaras76 View Post
Hi I'm sure I've read somewhere that to use the tires on the lazy river is a charge is that correct also the mini golf??? If so how much is it and are you able to use tour own tires on the lazy river, my kids have some that they take on every holiday but of your not allowed to use them then they can say at home this time lol
I'm pretty sure you can use your own innertubes in the lazy rivers. Also.... No charge to use the ones that are there. all you need to do is find one that's free and start using it.

Minigolf I believe is also a free activity. You just need to pick up your putter and ball at one of the activity desks.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #1150
NHDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post

I'm pretty sure you can use your own innertubes in the lazy rivers. Also.... No charge to use the ones that are there. all you need to do is find one that's free and start using it.

Minigolf I believe is also a free activity. You just need to pick up your putter and ball at one of the activity desks.
Correct, mini golf I free. The activities desk also has Xbox games you can check out to play in the activities center.
WBC 2/11 and 2/13
POR 2/14
NHDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #1151
kleldridge
Disney regulars

Officially booked for f & w for October! So excited!! First time going! Can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DW DH: , DS19 , DD18:

Previous stays: POFQ 99, 01, 04, 05, 06, 09; CB 02, 03, 09; CS 06; Pop 04, 08; WL 04; Sports 07; SSR 07, 08; AKL 08; Offsite 10, Bonnet Creek 10, 11, 12, 12
kleldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #1152
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We arrived today, had a great check-in. The 2 bd is gorgeous. We have a perfect view of the Epcot fireworks and the lake!!!
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #1153
kleldridge
Disney regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakefamily View Post
What is the earliest you've been able to check in?
Arrived one year (summer) around noon. Got in around 1 pm.

DW DH: , DS19 , DD18:

Previous stays: POFQ 99, 01, 04, 05, 06, 09; CB 02, 03, 09; CS 06; Pop 04, 08; WL 04; Sports 07; SSR 07, 08; AKL 08; Offsite 10, Bonnet Creek 10, 11, 12, 12
kleldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #1154
blakefamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleldridge View Post
Arrived one year (summer) around noon. Got in around 1 pm.

Thanks We are going to be arriving very early on a red eye out of Seattle. We plan on going out for breakfast and then grocery and liquor store and then pool lounging until we can check into a room
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #1155
blakefamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
We arrived today, had a great check-in. The 2 bd is gorgeous. We have a perfect view of the Epcot fireworks and the lake!!!
What tower are you in?