Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #1066
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Hi there!

Are there any owners on this thread that can comment about ownership at BC? We own DVC, but we're quickly outgrowing the studios and would love to supplement at BC.

We've never been, so I'm a little antsy about buying sight unseen (resale of course).

Any pitfalls to owning? Dislikes about the Wyndham program? I've read up on the program itself and understand the general basics of the Wyndham points program. Anything to watch out for? The MFs seem a bit high, but I guess can deal with that. Comments/thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #1067
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Hi there!

Are there any owners on this thread that can comment about ownership at BC? We own DVC, but we're quickly outgrowing the studios and would love to supplement at BC.

We've never been, so I'm a little antsy about buying sight unseen (resale of course).

Any pitfalls to owning? Dislikes about the Wyndham program? I've read up on the program itself and understand the general basics of the Wyndham points program. Anything to watch out for? The MFs seem a bit high, but I guess can deal with that. Comments/thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
A lot of people would suggest you buy points for a resort with a lower MF, and then just book at Bonnet Creek.
As a Wyndham and DVC owner, I can tell you that Wyndham is a lot less owner friendly than DVC. One thing the sales weasels will never tell you is that Wyndham issues "housekeeping" points. You get a certain amount based on how many points you own. Everytime you stay somewhere, they deduct the points. The catch is, if you stay for less than a week, even 1 day, they deduct a full week's points. So taking a lot of short vacations will cost you extra housekeeping points.
Another catch is that you can no longer transfer points between owners.
Also, you must "bank" your points BEFORE they are issued. So, for example, my points are issued January 1. So I must bank December 31 or before. And there is a $35 charge. But the points are then good for 3 years. BUT they can no longer be transfered to RCI.
Another catch is the "transaction" fee. You get "free" transactions based on how many points you own. But everytime you call to make a change, there's a transaction fee. For example, on April 1 you book a stay. One transaction fee. April 2 you call to add 2 days. Another transaction fee. April 3 you call to make it a 2 bedroom instead of 1 bedroom. Another transaction fee.
But all in all, if you buy resale, and keep what you book, you should be OK. However, I'd also look into if renting from one of the people mentioned here doesn't actually come out cheaper than owning. I know it costs me more to stay than what I see people posting they paid to renters!

Last edited by carlbarry; 03-31-2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: typos
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #1068
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi there!

I studied this and found it cheaper to rent the resort than to own it. Why lock yourself in to a lifetime of maintenance fees? Bonnet Creek is a large resort and very easy to rent.

If you still want to buy, I still suggest renting just once to see if you like it. Also, the Wyndham timeshare system is a lot more complex than DVC. I would study up on Tugbbs.com first.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:16 AM   #1069
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
A lot of people would suggest you buy points for a resort with a lower MF, and then just book at Bonnet Creek.
As a Wyndham and DVC owner, I can tell you that Wyndham is a lot less owner friendly than DVC. One thing the sales weasels will never tell you is that Wyndham issues "housekeeping" points. You get a certain amount based on how many points you own. Everytime you stay somewhere, they deduct the points. The catch is, if you stay for less than a week, even 1 day, they deduct a full week's points. So taking a lot of short vacations will cost you extra housekeeping points.
Another catch is that you can no longer transfer points between owners.
Also, you must "bank" your points BEFORE they are issued. So, for example, my points are issued January 1. So I must bank December 31 or before. And there is a $35 charge. But the points are then good for 3 years. BUT they can no longer be transfered to RCI.
Another catch is the "transaction" fee. You get "free" transactions based on how many points you own. But everytime you call to make a change, there's a transaction fee. For example, on April 1 yo don't book a stay. One transaction fee. April 2 you call to add 2 days. Another transaction fee. April 3 you call to make it a 2 bedroom instead of 1 bedroom. Another transaction fee.
But all in all, if you buy resale, and keep what you book, you should be OK. However, I'd also look into if renting from one of the people mentioned here doesn't actually come out cheaper than owning. I know it costs me more to stay than what I see people posting they paid to renters!
Thanks Carlbarry. I read about their banking system, but don't quite understand it. Essentially you pay $39 to extend the life of the points, is that right? And you have to make that decision before the 1st date on which the points are issued?

What if you have an annual use contract and you bank points each year. Can the points be pooled together to make one large reservation when the years overlap?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upatnoon View Post
I studied this and found it cheaper to rent the resort than to own it. Why lock yourself in to a lifetime of maintenance fees? Bonnet Creek is a large resort and very easy to rent.

If you still want to buy, I still suggest renting just once to see if you like it. Also, the Wyndham timeshare system is a lot more complex than DVC. I would study up on Tugbbs.com first.
Thanks! I agree that if I were only buying to use at BC, it is better to just rent. I should have mentioned --- we also own at Aulani and I'd like to supplement our Aulani stays as well. The last time we went to Aulani I paid $2500 for 3 nights in a 2BR on Maui at a "full ownership" resort. It was FABULOUS, but too rich for my blood and frankly, I don't want to pay that every time. Wyndham has a good portfolio in Hawaii, but I do worry about them being "older" resorts. I think some have been remodeled.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #1070
bckwincy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiegrl View Post
I'm really sorry to hear this. We used this seller last year without issue and I was planning on using him again. He was slow to respond to emails and slow get us a confirmation, but still within the dispute period.

The problem I found with ebay was that I did not want to leave feedback until AFTER our stay was complete. At that point it was too late to leave feedback...Ebay would not allow it.
I agree about the feedback time period. That happened with me for the last people I bought from and I wanted to leave positive feedback because they had been so responsive!

Good news is I have some resolution now. He did get back with me and refunded my money. He lost out on my room, which is frustrating this close to our trip, in only 2 weeks, but I am hoping for the best through some of the other sellers on ebay. I really had wanted the 4 br pres, but I think 3 br deluxe is going to be our best bet at this point.

My goal now is to find a room and look forward to some fun times at Disney!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #1071
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Carlbarry. I read about their banking system, but don't quite understand it. Essentially you pay $39 to extend the life of the points, is that right? And you have to make that decision before the 1st date on which the points are issued?

What if you have an annual use contract and you bank points each year. Can the points be pooled together to make one large reservation when the years overlap?

Thanks!

Thanks! I agree that if I were only buying to use at BC, it is better to just rent. I should have mentioned --- we also own at Aulani and I'd like to supplement our Aulani stays as well. The last time we went to Aulani I paid $2500 for 3 nights in a 2BR on Maui at a "full ownership" resort. It was FABULOUS, but too rich for my blood and frankly, I don't want to pay that every time. Wyndham has a good portfolio in Hawaii, but I do worry about them being "older" resorts. I think some have been remodeled.
1. Yes, you must add the points to the "credit pool" BEFORE they are issued. If I wait until January 1 when the points are issued, I'm out of luck. And of course, later in the use year if you see you aren't going to use the points, it's too late to bank them.
2. Yes, you can "pool" the points. I have only 49,000 points per year, yet can have many more available from pooling and borrowing from the next year. If I bank 49K in the year 2000, they are good until the end of 2002. The 2001 points when banked will be good until the end of 2003. The 2002 points will be good until 2004. So during 2002, I would have 49K X 3 . . . unless I borrow from 2003, and then I'd have 49K X 4. BUT ONE IMPORTANT thing: they say the points are good for "3 years." BUT that includes the original year they were good for! So what you really get is a two year extension.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #1072
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1. Yes, you must add the points to the "credit pool" BEFORE they are issued. If I wait until January 1 when the points are issued, I'm out of luck. And of course, later in the use year if you see you aren't going to use the points, it's too late to bank them.
2. Yes, you can "pool" the points. I have only 49,000 points per year, yet can have many more available from pooling and borrowing from the next year. If I bank 49K in the year 2000, they are good until the end of 2002. The 2001 points when banked will be good until the end of 2003. The 2002 points will be good until 2004. So during 2002, I would have 49K X 3 . . . unless I borrow from 2003, and then I'd have 49K X 4. BUT ONE IMPORTANT thing: they say the points are good for "3 years." BUT that includes the original year they were good for! So what you really get is a two year extension.
Thanks for the explanation. 49K pts sounds like a great amount to own for our needs, but my husband doesn't want less than 64K since the MFs are comparable.

2 more questions

1) Do the Housekeeping credits pool along w/the points?

2) Do you mind asking which resort you own at?

Thanks!

Last edited by lilpooh108; 03-31-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #1073
Twingle
DIS Veteran

We're here now! Uneventful drive from Virginia, check in was a little long, but they had three people working, and everyone before us had lots of questions about where things were located and how to get there, so it absolutely was not a staffing issue.
We're in Tower 5, room 281-it's HUGE. We usually stay DVC, and this place is beyond spacious. Very lovely, no issue with bed bugs or anything else, we're right by the pool and lazy river, and while it was noisy when we were out on the porch, inside noise was minimal.
I'll try to answer any questions, it's our first time here and we're figuring things out!

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #1074
westcoastgal
Mouseketeer

Thank you for checking in with us. I am interested in shuttle times, how well they run, actual time to parks. I will have a car so if you are driving, please let us know parking situation, driving times to park and then actually how long to get in parks. Also, restaurants and stores nearby.
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #1075
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

Can anyone tell me if there is still a need to know how to override the A/C? We will be staying there the first week of June so I know the air conditioner will be working overtime. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #1076
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Totally agree with this. Unless you want Christmas week, you should usually get what you want at the 10 month mark (when you can make reservations for Wyndham resorts other than your own). We own at Wyndham Smokey Mountains, and the initial cost plus MFs are lower than at WBC. I'm assuming you're talking resale.

Someone suggested TUG (Timeshare User Group). It's $15/year, and it's the best investment you can make if you're thinking about buying a timeshare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #1077
Fundytrail
Our 1988 Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is still a need to know how to override the A/C? We will be staying there the first week of June so I know the air conditioner will be working overtime. Thanks.
Pressing & holding F/C button on the left side of thermostat, once "6P" apprears in display, unit is on override

Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #1078
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundytrail View Post
Pressing & holding F/C button on the left side of thermostat, once "6P" apprears in display, unit is on override
Thanks so much.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #1079
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanman View Post
I dont know about tower locations but the floor plan for the one bedroom presidential does not show a pull out couch. We stayed in a three room deluxe because we were 9, I dont think any of the presidential rooms have a pull out couch, but I might be mistaken.
I am staying in a bedroom presidential in a few weeks. I called the resort to check on what type of sofas are in the 1 bedroom presidential. The 1 bedroom presidential has a sofabed, but the 2 bedroom presidential has a regular sofa.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #1080
two*little*birds
LOL I am the ultimate ride wimp!

Yippee, just booked our 3-bedroom deluxe villa for October!

First time using Vacation Strategy, and they honoured a price match just as they stated (actually they beat it by a few dollars).

Let the planning begin!
2010 ~ WINDSOR PALMS (November 4th - 18th)
2011 ~ WYNDHAM BONNET CREEK (October 9th - 23rd)
2012 ~ INDIAN CREEK (October 7th - 21st)
Closed Thread