Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #916
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastgal View Post
As mentioned in my previous posts, we are going to DW for the first time in late September. I am traveling with my 4 year old, my friend and her son, aged 3. We will be 2 moms and our kids as we are both widows.
I have been researching and planning this trip for a couple of months seriously now and at first the plan was to stay at a Disney property. However, as we are friends with little kids and not family,we decided to save our friendship by staying in separate rooms. At Disney, this would cost us a fortune. Then we looked at renting DVC points and 2 rent 2 studios at AK, the cheapest we found (without waiting til within 60 days) was $950 each approx.
After much thought and this wonderful forum, we decided on Wyndham Bonnet Creek. My friend and I are meeting for dinner this weekend to discuss everything and should be finalizing our booking on Saturday or Sunday for a 2 bdrm. The 2 bdrm at Wyndham will be the same as 1 studio at AKV.
Now, I have friends and acquaintances who have gone before or who are going this year and all insist the only way to go is to stay at a DW property. I understand their rationale but am not completely swayed. I personally, could probably afford the Disney property but as a single mom, prefer to be wise with my money and think the savings can be put elsewhere. I also know my friend is watching her spending, rightfully so.
However, the opinions of these other people, is making my friend question our choice and she worries that our kids won't get as great a Disney experience as those staying onsite. She is willing to use credit cards in order to finance the extra for the trip. If she chooses to do this, I will go along with it as well but don't know if it's worth it to do so. I don't know when I will be able to afford DW again with my daughter and want her to have an amazing time and yes, I'll be corny, "magical" experience. However, can't we do that staying at the Wyndham?
This leads me to my question - if you could afford to stay at a Disney owned property, had a 4 year old and it was your first time to DW, would you stay at a DW property (value or DVC) or is the Wyndham fine?
The main concerns seem to be the shuttle times, travel time back and forth from the parks, being able to get back in the late afternoon if the kids need a break/nap and to the parks again and the access to non Disney restaurants, grocery store and Walmart. We don't plan to do other parks like Legoland or SeaWorld on this visit. We do want to check out outlet shopping and International Drive one day (our off day from Disney).
I thought that staying at the Wyndham was pretty much like staying at a DW owned property without the price. Can you get any closer? The access to outside stores and restaurants is the same as that of a DW hotel, is it not?
I apologize for the length of this post and if the questions have been asked before. I have read many pages of this thread and the other "We love WBC" but even I can't read all 300 pages.
I need valid arguments to assure my friend that the WBC is the right choice.
Thanks.
I can't really speak to how wonderful WBC is since we will be staying there for the first time in May. We have outgrown the Disney Value resorts because getting 2 rooms is just too expensive.
However, I can speak to taking young children to the Disney resorts. My "kids" are now 23 and 20 and their first trip to WDW was when they were 12 and 9, respectively. They tell me they can't remember anything about that trip or the next few, actually. We did stay further off property in what is now the Nickelodeon hotel one time and they had a great time that trip too. Nope, don't really remember much about that one either. We've been many times and the memories are more from their later years
So, as far as "magic" goes, the kids will have a great time if you do have the attitude that it will be whatever you make it. Sometimes, as parents, we build things up to be much bigger for our kids than they do. Guilt can be a not very good motivator to spend more money than we have and we end up making an emotional decision vs a logical one. Been there, done that.
Don't get me wrong, we have loved staying on property and the resorts are a lot of fun but we barely spent time in our rooms so we are perfectly content to spend more days in WDW vs spending that money staying in a WDW resort.
Hope you have a fabulous trip.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #917
Teacher03
DIS Veteran

We are staying at BC in June and debating whether to rent a car or to just take taxis. We are not ones to go back and forth to the parks, so would only be taking a taxi round trip for four days (the other days my DD's BF will be driving us). So my question is, do I have to pay for parking at the parks if we take a taxi. That may be the deciding factor for us. We do not want to take the shuttle; we tried it last year and it just wasn't for us.

Early 1970's-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1994-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1998-Boardwalk
July 2005-Cypress Point
June 2006-Pop Century
June 2007-All Star Movies-All girls trip!
June 2009! Windsor Hills-All girls trip!
June 2012-Bonnet Creek
June 2013-Back at Bonnet Creek
Teacher03 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #918
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher03
We are staying at BC in June and debating whether to rent a car or to just take taxis. We are not ones to go back and forth to the parks, so would only be taking a taxi round trip for four days (the other days my DD's BF will be driving us). So my question is, do I have to pay for parking at the parks if we take a taxi. That may be the deciding factor for us. We do not want to take the shuttle; we tried it last year and it just wasn't for us.
There is a specific taxi company (Mears, I believe) who has a contract with Disney and is not charged the parking fee. Other companies are charged and have required the passengers to pay it. Bring the Mears taxi dispatch phone number with you because we could not find it anywhere once we were there The phone number I was given was for a dispatch who would not guarantee that a Mears taxi would pick us up.

Have a Holly Jolly Disney! A Dec 2013 PTR

Family Trips:

Disneyland 2005 (Candy Cane Inn)
Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Solo Trips: impossible to quantify...I've lived in both Orlando and Southern California!
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #919
Teacher03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::danielle:: View Post
There is a specific taxi company (Mears, I believe) who has a contract with Disney and is not charged the parking fee. Other companies are charged and have required the passengers to pay it. Bring the Mears taxi dispatch phone number with you because we could not find it anywhere once we were there The phone number I was given was for a dispatch who would not guarantee that a Mears taxi would pick us up.
Thank you......we will probably just rent a car. Is there a rental car place near BC?

May 1998-Boardwalk
July 2005-Cypress Point
June 2006-Pop Century
June 2012-Bonnet Creek
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #920
Teewan78
Earning My Ears

Just booked through VS a two bedroom deluxe 11/16-11/23.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #921
rdevine10
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them- Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadadoug
I'm looking mod-April, after the big Easter rush. I was surprised to find nothing left.
I booked for mid april a couple weeks ago and had a VERY hard time finding availibility. I agree ebay is likley your best bet.
Too many childhood trips to count. 9/00- ASMovies, 5/05- Pop, 9/06- Pop, 9/07- Pop, 5/08-AKL & Summer Bay, 9/08- Pop, 4/09-Nick Hotel & Caribe Royal, 4/10-Bonnet Creek, 9/10- Pop, 4/11 Disney Dream Cruise-4night (Nassau & Castaway Cay x 2) & Bonnet Creek, 4/12 Carnival Legend Cruise (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Cozumel) & CBR, 4/13- Bonnet Creek 8/13- Daytona Beach, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (Nassau & Coco Cay) & Art of Animation! 4/2014- Carnival Freedom (Key West, Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman) & Caribe Royal

rdevine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #922
westcoastgal
Mouseketeer

Just booked too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teewan78 View Post
Just booked through VS a two bedroom deluxe 11/16-11/23.
Despite my trepidation, I have booked through VS a 2 bdrm dlx for Sept 21-29. I have booked our airfare from Toronto to Orlando direct as well. I think due to the "free dining" plan during September and the food and wine fair at Epcot, the flights are selling and rentals booking up. The Dolphin and Swan were suggested to me but they have had no availability for Sept and Oct around our dates since I started looking over a month ago. I was going to hold out to purchase our flights but today when I went online, I saw that the original flight I wanted from Toronto to Orlando was old out for economy and only business tickets left. Other flights had only limited seats left. Yes, there is a chance that there may be a "seat sale" later but it will be discounts from the higher fare and may not be as low as the lowest fares now and I may not get the direct flights or times I want. For peace of mind, I booked.
Now I just hope it all works out with VS and we have a place to stay at Bonnet Creek.
westcoastgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #923
Teacher03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Despite my trepidation, I have booked through VS a 2 bdrm dlx for Sept 21-29. I have booked our airfare from Toronto to Orlando direct as well. I think due to the "free dining" plan during September and the food and wine fair at Epcot, the flights are selling and rentals booking up. The Dolphin and Swan were suggested to me but they have had no availability for Sept and Oct around our dates since I started looking over a month ago. I was going to hold out to purchase our flights but today when I went online, I saw that the original flight I wanted from Toronto to Orlando was old out for economy and only business tickets left. Other flights had only limited seats left. Yes, there is a chance that there may be a "seat sale" later but it will be discounts from the higher fare and may not be as low as the lowest fares now and I may not get the direct flights or times I want. For peace of mind, I booked.
Now I just hope it all works out with VS and we have a place to stay at Bonnet Creek.
Don't worry about VS....we booked with them last June, and like you, was feeling a little nervous. It was fourteen days out, and I still hadn't received my confirmation; I called them and they assured me that I was in the system and everything was good. I received my confirmation a couple of days later and check in went smoothly, no problems. We were so pleased with their service that we booked with them again this year. Their prices just can't be beat.

May 1998-Boardwalk
July 2005-Cypress Point
June 2006-Pop Century
June 2012-Bonnet Creek
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #924
westcoastgal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher03 View Post
Don't worry about VS....we booked with them last June, and like you, was feeling a little nervous. It was fourteen days out, and I still hadn't received my confirmation; I called them and they assured me that I was in the system and everything was good. I received my confirmation a couple of days later and check in went smoothly, no problems. We were so pleased with their service that we booked with them again this year. Their prices just can't be beat.

Since booking with Vacation Strategies, I have discovered that the shuttle to the parks is $5 per person per roundtrip, not per day. The resort clarified that if we take the shuttle to the park, come back to the resort for my 3 and 4 year olds to rest and then return to the park, we will be paying again. That means $30/day! I preferred the $12/day flat fee. When I booked, I was told $12. Then I was told $5 per person per day. Now, it's $5 per round trip. I am not pleased. I feel like there has been a lot of miscommunication and misinformation. The shuttle was a huge factor in our booking.
westcoastgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #925
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14

Hello everyone! I'm so sorry if I'm asking repeat questions but I was wondering if all the buildings have been updated. If not, is there a specific building(s) you would recommend? Also, I was wondering the best websites to rent from.
We are looking to go late November, what price would you feel is reasonable for a one week stay for that time of year? Thanks so much!!!!

mrsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #926
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Since booking with Vacation Strategies, I have discovered that the shuttle to the parks is $5 per person per roundtrip, not per day. .......................... I feel like there has been a lot of miscommunication and misinformation. The shuttle was a huge factor in our booking.
So cancel.

This is not something VS can controll. It is the resort traying to recover costs in hard times like every other company.

VS is selling you time in the resort. that times is subject to what ever rules the resort has in effect.

your issue is with Bonnet Creek, not VS. You can choose to deal with it like everyone esle, or look else where.

unfortunately for you, me as well. the timing of the price change for the shuttles comes after we booked, but before our stay.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #927
funkymunky
Earning My Ears

Hello:

We are trying to stay at the WBC and book via an owner. Was wondering if anyone has booked through Shelby Resorts before? Thanks
funkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #928
COSgal
Mommy to one Disney loving little dude

I booked through Shelby Resorts, however our stay isn't until next month to I can not speak to the check in or stay as of yet. So far though, I have received very quick responses and have already received my confirmation number for the stay.
COSgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #929
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Since booking with Vacation Strategies, I have discovered that the shuttle to the parks is $5 per person per roundtrip, not per day. The resort clarified that if we take the shuttle to the park, come back to the resort for my 3 and 4 year olds to rest and then return to the park, we will be paying again. That means $30/day! I preferred the $12/day flat fee. When I booked, I was told $12. Then I was told $5 per person per day. Now, it's $5 per round trip. I am not pleased. I feel like there has been a lot of miscommunication and misinformation. The shuttle was a huge factor in our booking.
I booked my May trip through Vacation Strategies. When I booked there were no fees at all. I then got the email (and also read here on the Disboards) that they were instigating a $12.00 per unit fee and every unit had to pay the same fee whether they were using the shuttles or not and regardless of how many people were in a unit. Since I was going to be a solo in a one bedroom unit and using a rental car, it did not seem fair to make me pay a fee for something I was not even going to be using and that the fee would be the same as a four bedroom unit with twelve people, who were using the shuttles. Why should one person pay for something they are not even using and yet twelve people use it and the total for all twelve is the same as it would be for just the one person in another unit? I wasn't happy about the new fee (for something that I wasn't even going to be using), but adjusted knowing that even with the $12.00 fee, I was still getting a good deal. The $5.00 fee/person for those who were actually going to be using the shuttle seemed more fair. I agree it should be per day though. For families with several kids, it may be cheaper to rent a car. However, if that happens, I wonder how it will affect the availability of parking spaces at the resort.

My mom has since decided to join me, but we will still be using the rental car. The homeowners association has apparently decided the shuttle service needs to support itself and charging $5.00 per person to those that actually use it still seems more fair, than charging those of us that don't use the shuttle at all. Why should we pay to subsidize those that do use it? Vacation Strategies had nothing to do with it. If you want to complain to someone complain to the homeowner's association, but it may have been a matter of either charging people to use the shuttle or else discontinue the shuttle completely.

Last edited by aubriee; 03-05-2013 at 02:19 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #930
skateshome
Mouseketeer

We are getting a rental car. I loved using the shuttle service last year but
with 4 people that's an extra $20 per day so at least $100 for our 8 day stay.
Factor in $150 for trasportation to and from the airport then it's cheaper
to just rent. It's a shame but it will actually free us up to do other things
since we will have a vehicle now. $179 for full size 8 day rental thru Dollar.