Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #901
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastgal
As mentioned in my previous posts, we are going to DW for the first time in late September. I am traveling with my 4 year old, my friend and her son, aged 3. We will be 2 moms and our kids as we are both widows.
I have been researching and planning this trip for a couple of months seriously now and at first the plan was to stay at a Disney property. However, as we are friends with little kids and not family,we decided to save our friendship by staying in separate rooms. At Disney, this would cost us a fortune. Then we looked at renting DVC points and 2 rent 2 studios at AK, the cheapest we found (without waiting til within 60 days) was $950 each approx.
After much thought and this wonderful forum, we decided on Wyndham Bonnet Creek. My friend and I are meeting for dinner this weekend to discuss everything and should be finalizing our booking on Saturday or Sunday for a 2 bdrm. The 2 bdrm at Wyndham will be the same as 1 studio at AKV.
Now, I have friends and acquaintances who have gone before or who are going this year and all insist the only way to go is to stay at a DW property. I understand their rationale but am not completely swayed. I personally, could probably afford the Disney property but as a single mom, prefer to be wise with my money and think the savings can be put elsewhere. I also know my friend is watching her spending, rightfully so.
However, the opinions of these other people, is making my friend question our choice and she worries that our kids won't get as great a Disney experience as those staying onsite. She is willing to use credit cards in order to finance the extra for the trip. If she chooses to do this, I will go along with it as well but don't know if it's worth it to do so. I don't know when I will be able to afford DW again with my daughter and want her to have an amazing time and yes, I'll be corny, "magical" experience. However, can't we do that staying at the Wyndham?
This leads me to my question - if you could afford to stay at a Disney owned property, had a 4 year old and it was your first time to DW, would you stay at a DW property (value or DVC) or is the Wyndham fine?
The main concerns seem to be the shuttle times, travel time back and forth from the parks, being able to get back in the late afternoon if the kids need a break/nap and to the parks again and the access to non Disney restaurants, grocery store and Walmart. We don't plan to do other parks like Legoland or SeaWorld on this visit. We do want to check out outlet shopping and International Drive one day (our off day from Disney).
I thought that staying at the Wyndham was pretty much like staying at a DW owned property without the price. Can you get any closer? The access to outside stores and restaurants is the same as that of a DW hotel, is it not?
I apologize for the length of this post and if the questions have been asked before. I have read many pages of this thread and the other "We love WBC" but even I can't read all 300 pages.
I need valid arguments to assure my friend that the WBC is the right choice.
Thanks.
If you are looking for reasons to justify staying at WBC instead of on-site, I believe you already know the benefits:

1. Price
2. Space
3. Location

Having said that, I would encourage you to keep a few things in mind.

Firstly, the kids are young enough that they are not going to remember where you stay so the choice should be about what works best for you guys.

Secondly, the resort is gorgeous. However, it's nothing unique or special. The theming is generic upscale Mediterranean. It could just as easily be located in Vegas, Palm Springs, or Mexico. It happens to be located within the boundaries of Disney. Staying at AKL will be a unique experience. The kids won't remember but you will.

Lastly, the busses can be a pain in the rear, especially if traveling with kids who need naps. They take a big break in the middle of the day. We felt like we had to constantly keep on top of the time in the mornings to make sure we didn't miss the last one before the break. In the off season they come less frequently. We were always rushing out the door in the morning (you know how kids always need to potty right as you're walking out) and if we missed the bus by 1 minute it would be 30-40 long minutes before the next one (Disney buses run every 15 I believe). For most people it's not a big deal. But when you're worried about catching the last shuttle before the afternoon break, 30 minutes is a lot of wasted time.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)

Disney World Solo Trip May 22-25 (POP)

Anxiously Awaiting:
Disneyland June 17-22 (VGC)

Disney World Sept 18-21 (TBD)
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #902
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
(A mis-perception actually helped by the lying Wyndham sales weasles).
Holy cow! They'd really do that????

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #903
canadadoug
Earning My Ears

I'm having trouble finding availability at BC in April. I contacted the main 3 companies that are recommended on this board and none of them have inventory. Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #904
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadadoug View Post
I'm having trouble finding availability at BC in April. I contacted the main 3 companies that are recommended on this board and none of them have inventory. Any ideas?
Depending when in April, Because of Spring breaks and Easter, The resort could very likely have no availability due to it's extreme popularity and the fact April is within the 60 day window when discounts start becoming available.

At this point, you may need to start looking on places like Ebay to see if you can find someone trying to rent out and existing reservation that contains your dates and see if you can find something.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #905
canadadoug
Earning My Ears

I'm looking mod-April, after the big Easter rush. I was surprised to find nothing left.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #906
Arkum
Mouseketeer

I booked last week for May 4 and was told there were only 2 units left then. Sounds like they sell out well before the 60 day mark. I'm thinking you may have to do eBay.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #907
ZachnElli
Is it Spring yet?
Bad weather or not, you need more than 4 boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
Just make sure your computer is set up correctly to be plugging into the back of the phone for wired internet.

When you do this, you join the entire sub net for your building.

Our last trip, my daughter and i sat for hours going through people computers that had sharing still turned on like they were at home.

some people had some nice vacation photos, some did not.

seriously, not trying to be a creep. but when you plug in like that, all of your public or shared drives are free for the browsing.
Uh, WOW. Aren't you a real gem!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #908
Cheesehead9
Mouseketeer

We're staying at Bonnet Creek for the first time in 3 weeks. Does anyone know if they do poolside movies (with an inflatable screen) like a lot of other resorts do? If so, are there certain nights of the week they show movies?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #909
westcoastgal
Mouseketeer

Wyndham vs DVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::danielle:: View Post
If you are looking for reasons to justify staying at WBC instead of on-site, I believe you already know the benefits:

1. Price
2. Space
3. Location

Having said that, I would encourage you to keep a few things in mind.

Firstly, the kids are young enough that they are not going to remember where you stay so the choice should be about what works best for you guys.

Secondly, the resort is gorgeous. However, it's nothing unique or special. The theming is generic upscale Mediterranean. It could just as easily be located in Vegas, Palm Springs, or Mexico. It happens to be located within the boundaries of Disney. Staying at AKL will be a unique experience. The kids won't remember but you will.

Lastly, the busses can be a pain in the rear, especially if traveling with kids who need naps. They take a big break in the middle of the day. We felt like we had to constantly keep on top of the time in the mornings to make sure we didn't miss the last one before the break. In the off season they come less frequently. We were always rushing out the door in the morning (you know how kids always need to potty right as you're walking out) and if we missed the bus by 1 minute it would be 30-40 long minutes before the next one (Disney buses run every 15 I believe). For most people it's not a big deal. But when you're worried about catching the last shuttle before the afternoon break, 30 minutes is a lot of wasted time.

The price of a 2 bdrm at any DVC is much more than 2 studios. In fact, a 1 bdrm can be more than 2 studios. This I am positive of and have done a lot of research as well as speaking to DVC owners&brokers.
We are definitely renting a car and found decent prices through Costco travel. Canadians can book cars but not vacation packages. We don't want to take car seats from home but now will need them. I thought of buying boosters with backs from Walmart as they're $35 but then how we do we drive from the airport? Taking a shuttle like Mears, is silly as it's $80 for us. We may end up taking carseats afterall.
Does it matter if we pay $15 day for shuttle or $14 to park in DW plus rental car fee? If kids 3&under don't pay the $5, one of our kids is free.
I totally agree with the advantage of putting kids to bed&hanging in the living room. When we have travelled previously (with my husband), we always had a one bdrm at least with separate living area and door in between.
I met with my friend and we decided on Wyndham. I am happy with my decision.
My last question concern- Vacation Strategies is giving us the best price by far. However, I spoke to the owner and they try to book your reservation in the 60 day window to save money and offer cheaper rates. I have no issue with them saving money but what if no units are a available at 60 days? I hear that it's been happening with WBC becoming so popular. Often, no units are left. I don't want my reservation compromised.
Does anyone have experience dealing with Vacation Strategies. Another owner, Vacation Upgrades, told me to be wary and although his price is higher, my reservation's safer as he won't cancel&rebook at 60 days. With VS, I get confirmation at 30-60 days before trip, with VU, reservation confirmation is within 2-3 days. VS says not to worry and promises I will be fine.
I am wary and want to know your experiences. Also, Vacation Strategies doesn't guarantee your booking or reservation in their paperwork. Loophole?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #910
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachnElli View Post
Uh, WOW. Aren't you a real gem!
Uh...yes I am. That's why I posted this to warn people.

Sorry. But if you are dumb enough to leave an unlocked computer on a network, people are going to look.

Learn to lock your computers down BEFORE you plug into a public network.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #911
SYDCOLEMOM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
Uh...yes I am. That's why I posted this to warn people.

Sorry. But if you are dumb enough to leave an unlocked computer on a network, people are going to look.

Learn to lock your computers down BEFORE you plug into a public network.
Im not trying to be snarky BUT just because you are able to do something doesnt mean you should. The people whose pictures you were looking at probably had no idea they had left themselves vulnerable like that. Personally to me thats no different than reading someones mail. Thanks for the warning and reminder that there are creepy nosy people even in the Happiest Place on Earth.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #912
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDCOLEMOM View Post
Im not trying to be snarky BUT just because you are able to do something doesnt mean you should. The people whose pictures you were looking at probably had no idea they had left themselves vulnerable like that. Personally to me thats no different than reading someones mail. Thanks for the warning and reminder that there are creepy nosy people even in the Happiest Place on Earth.
Just because people unknowingly leave themselves vulnerable, it is not OK to take advantage of that. The heads up and reminder of computer security is appreciated, but explaining how you and your child violated these people is troubling. If I leave my front door unlocked, is it OK for you to enter my home? No, it is actually very illegal and my negligence is no excuse.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #913
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Can't believe someone would spend several HOURS of their vacation time going through someone else's pictures. Kind of pathetic, really.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #914
big303842
FiVe YeAr OlD aT HeArT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
lying Wyndham sales weasles .
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #915
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastgal View Post
It's finally on the Wyndham Bonnet Creek website too:

• Shuttle To Walt Disney World ® Resort: Effective March 1, 2013 each guest at Wyndham Bonnet Creek utilizing the transportation shuttle to a Disney theme park or Downtown Disney will need a ticket to board the bus. Tickets will be sold at the resort for $5 per person per round trip for any Wyndham Bonnet Creek guest wanting to use this service. Children three years of age and under will be complimentary.

Tammy, where do you plan to rent a car from? We are going in the last week of September and I'm finding that rentals from the airport are really expensive. I may as well have stayed at a DW resort or rented DVC points if paying $600 for a rental car.
Hey,
I found a good rate on Dollar for about $174 (including tax and fees) for May. They were by far the cheapest even with our club memberships like BJs and Costco.
I just put in our travel dates without any codes. The rates popped up and there was an ad for special local rates that I clicked on and it ended up saving about $20-$30. I think the rate was for $99 for a week. We have one extra day for $15 plus all the fees and such.
This is about $50 cheaper than going the limo route. That's including the $14/day parking fee for the parks which adds almost $100 more for us.
I know a lot of people have had complaints about Dollar but its not going to ruin my vacation if my car rental is less than stellar. I just need transportation.