Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #886
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastgal View Post
So I received an email from Farrell's Vacations this morning that Wyndham Bonnet Creek is implementing a $5 per person per day fee for the shuttle instead of $12 per unit. It is charged for each person age 3 and up. As we are traveling with one 3 year old, one 4 year old and 2 adults, that means $20 for us. That raises it quite a bit. I wasn't too pleased with $12 per day and the $5 per person is even worse.
So, I am confused. Originally, I thought all non-owners were going to be charged the $12 a day fee whether or not you used transportation. So, does this mean that if you aren't an owner and rent a car you won't be charged the fee if you don't use it? How will they know? The $20/day for our family would be a deal breaker in whether or not we use their transportation.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #887
skateshome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spel View Post
Your response was condascending & utterly obnoxious. ly.
Agreed 100%. I apologize.
But I still think it's absolutely hilarious.
:cheers
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #888
westcoastgal
Mouseketeer

Shuttle Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyroo View Post
So, I am confused. Originally, I thought all non-owners were going to be charged the $12 a day fee whether or not you used transportation. So, does this mean that if you aren't an owner and rent a car you won't be charged the fee if you don't use it? How will they know? The $20/day for our family would be a deal breaker in whether or not we use their transportation.

I called the resort directly and spoke to a supervisor and to Vacation Strategies, VacationUpgrades and owners on VRBO. Here's the deal- it is a case of be careful of what you wish for. Apparently there were many complaints from owners that it wasn't fair to charge $12 per unit as those in 2/3/4 bdrms vs 1 bdrms got a better deal. In a 1 bdrm there may be 2 people but in a 3 bdrm 10 people but all paid only $12/unit not person. Therefore, the decision was made to scrap the $12 and only charge those actually using the shuttle by person, the fee for ages 3&up is $5/person for each day you use the shuttle. If you don't pay, how will they know? You have to go to guest services and pay for the shuttle and get proof of payment. There will be a ticket, stamp or something. Details are being ironed out.
This is the final decision. Therefore, if you are a family of 4 and not renting a car, prepare to pay $20/day for transportation. If you rent a car, add $14/day parking plus car rental. It's all aggravating. However, most resorts charge a fee if you use their shuttles or not so at least this is more fair. $5/person is high though. There should be a discount for using it for a week.
Even with the $140 extra per week, I still think Bonnet Creek is a great deal for what you get and price.
I also received a copy of the email sent to owners indicating this change. I think some owners haven't been updated or haven't checked.

On another note, thanks to suggesting VacationStrategies. They havd been great. As our VacationUpgrades actually. Very fair.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #889
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the thorough answer.
I checked with Vacation Strategies earlier and they had confirmed the change.
I guess we'll be renting a car.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #890
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Yes, there is a wired connection in all the units. The resort-wide Wifi is a relatively new thing at the resort. Prior to this all rooms had internet access via a connection on the back of the IP-Phone on the kitchen counter/Breakfast Bar. When the Wifi was added they did not remove the wired connections.
Just make sure your computer is set up correctly to be plugging into the back of the phone for wired internet.

When you do this, you join the entire sub net for your building.

Our last trip, my daughter and i sat for hours going through people computers that had sharing still turned on like they were at home.

some people had some nice vacation photos, some did not.

seriously, not trying to be a creep. but when you plug in like that, all of your public or shared drives are free for the browsing.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #891
westcoastgal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyroo View Post
Thanks for the thorough answer.
I checked with Vacation Strategies earlier and they had confirmed the change.
I guess we'll be renting a car.

It's finally on the Wyndham Bonnet Creek website too:

• Shuttle To Walt Disney World ® Resort: Effective March 1, 2013 each guest at Wyndham Bonnet Creek utilizing the transportation shuttle to a Disney theme park or Downtown Disney will need a ticket to board the bus. Tickets will be sold at the resort for $5 per person per round trip for any Wyndham Bonnet Creek guest wanting to use this service. Children three years of age and under will be complimentary.

Tammy, where do you plan to rent a car from? We are going in the last week of September and I'm finding that rentals from the airport are really expensive. I may as well have stayed at a DW resort or rented DVC points if paying $600 for a rental car.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #892
westcoastgal
Mouseketeer

Would you stay at a DW resort if you could?

As mentioned in my previous posts, we are going to DW for the first time in late September. I am traveling with my 4 year old, my friend and her son, aged 3. We will be 2 moms and our kids as we are both widows.
I have been researching and planning this trip for a couple of months seriously now and at first the plan was to stay at a Disney property. However, as we are friends with little kids and not family,we decided to save our friendship by staying in separate rooms. At Disney, this would cost us a fortune. Then we looked at renting DVC points and 2 rent 2 studios at AK, the cheapest we found (without waiting til within 60 days) was $950 each approx.
After much thought and this wonderful forum, we decided on Wyndham Bonnet Creek. My friend and I are meeting for dinner this weekend to discuss everything and should be finalizing our booking on Saturday or Sunday for a 2 bdrm. The 2 bdrm at Wyndham will be the same as 1 studio at AKV.
Now, I have friends and acquaintances who have gone before or who are going this year and all insist the only way to go is to stay at a DW property. I understand their rationale but am not completely swayed. I personally, could probably afford the Disney property but as a single mom, prefer to be wise with my money and think the savings can be put elsewhere. I also know my friend is watching her spending, rightfully so.
However, the opinions of these other people, is making my friend question our choice and she worries that our kids won't get as great a Disney experience as those staying onsite. She is willing to use credit cards in order to finance the extra for the trip. If she chooses to do this, I will go along with it as well but don't know if it's worth it to do so. I don't know when I will be able to afford DW again with my daughter and want her to have an amazing time and yes, I'll be corny, "magical" experience. However, can't we do that staying at the Wyndham?
This leads me to my question - if you could afford to stay at a Disney owned property, had a 4 year old and it was your first time to DW, would you stay at a DW property (value or DVC) or is the Wyndham fine?
The main concerns seem to be the shuttle times, travel time back and forth from the parks, being able to get back in the late afternoon if the kids need a break/nap and to the parks again and the access to non Disney restaurants, grocery store and Walmart. We don't plan to do other parks like Legoland or SeaWorld on this visit. We do want to check out outlet shopping and International Drive one day (our off day from Disney).
I thought that staying at the Wyndham was pretty much like staying at a DW owned property without the price. Can you get any closer? The access to outside stores and restaurants is the same as that of a DW hotel, is it not?
I apologize for the length of this post and if the questions have been asked before. I have read many pages of this thread and the other "We love WBC" but even I can't read all 300 pages.
I need valid arguments to assure my friend that the WBC is the right choice.
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #893
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As mentioned in my previous posts, we are going to DW for the first time in late September. I am traveling with my 4 year old, my friend and her son, aged 3. We will be 2 moms and our kids as we are both widows.
I have been researching and planning this trip for a couple of months seriously now and at first the plan was to stay at a Disney property. However, as we are friends with little kids and not family,we decided to save our friendship by staying in separate rooms. At Disney, this would cost us a fortune. Then we looked at renting DVC points and 2 rent 2 studios at AK, the cheapest we found (without waiting til within 60 days) was $950 each approx.
After much thought and this wonderful forum, we decided on Wyndham Bonnet Creek. My friend and I are meeting for dinner this weekend to discuss everything and should be finalizing our booking on Saturday or Sunday for a 2 bdrm. The 2 bdrm at Wyndham will be the same as 1 studio at AKV.
Now, I have friends and acquaintances who have gone before or who are going this year and all insist the only way to go is to stay at a DW property. I understand their rationale but am not completely swayed. I personally, could probably afford the Disney property but as a single mom, prefer to be wise with my money and think the savings can be put elsewhere. I also know my friend is watching her spending, rightfully so.
However, the opinions of these other people, is making my friend question our choice and she worries that our kids won't get as great a Disney experience as those staying onsite. She is willing to use credit cards in order to finance the extra for the trip. If she chooses to do this, I will go along with it as well but don't know if it's worth it to do so. I don't know when I will be able to afford DW again with my daughter and want her to have an amazing time and yes, I'll be corny, "magical" experience. However, can't we do that staying at the Wyndham?
This leads me to my question - if you could afford to stay at a Disney owned property, had a 4 year old and it was your first time to DW, would you stay at a DW property (value or DVC) or is the Wyndham fine?
The main concerns seem to be the shuttle times, travel time back and forth from the parks, being able to get back in the late afternoon if the kids need a break/nap and to the parks again and the access to non Disney restaurants, grocery store and Walmart. We don't plan to do other parks like Legoland or SeaWorld on this visit. We do want to check out outlet shopping and International Drive one day (our off day from Disney).
I thought that staying at the Wyndham was pretty much like staying at a DW owned property without the price. Can you get any closer? The access to outside stores and restaurants is the same as that of a DW hotel, is it not?
I apologize for the length of this post and if the questions have been asked before. I have read many pages of this thread and the other "We love WBC" but even I can't read all 300 pages.
Thanks.
I think our kids like going to Bonnet Creek MORE than the Disney parks.

Be prepared for "I want to go back to Bonnet Creek" after a few hours at the parks. You may not be ready to go back, but your kids may.

We have twin 4-year-olds and our normal day is to hit the parks in the morning, then go back to Bonnet Creek after lunch. After a few hours of downtime, we may or may not go back to the parks in the late afternoon.

At Bonnet Creek, you have plenty of space to relax, thus staying at the resort is a much more pleasurable experience than being crammed in a tiny hotel room.

I've seen weary parents with small kids keeping them at the parks all day. We don't do that. We may not see every attraction, but we have the luxury of making more trips to Disney with the money we save by staying offsite.

If you want access to outside shopping, etc, you really need to have a car. This goes for both on or off property. Bus service is nice, but nothing beats having a car to go exactly where you want to go, when you want go.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #894
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

westcoastgirl

if this is your first trip, or even your first few trips, i would agree that stayiing on property is pretty important.

I think that to truly appreciate all that Bonnet Creek has to offer, you need to know what you are comparing it against.

BUT....

at minimum, that means a Disney Moderate resort or better.

If you budget is limiting you to 2 rooms at the allstar resorts, its a no brainer, the bonnet creek resort will blow away anything you could possibly experience at the value resorts.

Disney values, to me, are motel 6's with a disney paint job.

as you can see by my signature, we have stayed plenty on site, and off site. While i would agree staying on side does add a little extra magic the trade off in extra costs do not give you the same bang for your buck.

staying off site at a good resort, has other things to offer and you will not notice the difference.

so again my advice is this...if you are thinking about a disney value resort....no question, choose bonnet creek

but if you are thinking moderate or better....i would stay on disney for the 1st trip or two before trying an off site.

we tend to alternate on vs off now. soley on saving costs every other trip.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #895
GinCar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks.
I would think staying on property would be better. I have traveled with another mom and child and it worked out fine.
We were really not in the room very much- but we also did "our own thing". We had all of our meals together, but if my DD needed a nap or wanted to ride a different ride- we just met up later.
We enjoyed the safety and not renting a car. We stayed in a Moderate. I would also suggest 2 values- connected.
With that said- my next trip (Bonnet Creek) will be my first staying offsite. I might have a different opinion when I get back!
Whatever you decide will be great as long you both go in with great attitudes, not expect to do everything. Good Luck!
2011 Dolphin, 2011 POFQ, 2012 Beach Club
2013 February,Pre-Cruise- Polynesian, Fantasy
2013 Spring Break WBC; August- Pop, Contemporary
2014 Feb-BWI, April-FANTASY Cruising
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #896
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Westcoastgirl

We only have the experience of staying off site - but I will tell you that my kids had the time of their lives. Staying off site did not take away any of the Magic for us. There are so many amazing things about a Disney vacation, and coming back to a space where everyone had enough space to not be tripping over each other all the time was great. You get a lot of "people" time at the parks so having space when you are done for the day, especially if you are traveling with another family - would be important to me.

Bonnet Creek is on Disney property - we did rent a car and are glad we did. It was very easy getting back and forth to the parks and downtown disney and allowed us to go out to Walmart and down to Lego land when we wanted.

Your trip will be whatever you make it. You will/can have an amazing trip filled with Disney magic on site or off site, so pick the one that you want and enjoy.

Gina

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
Old 03-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #897
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
Westcoastgirl

Bonnet Creek is on Disney property - we did rent a car and are glad we did. It was very easy getting back and forth to the parks and downtown disney and allowed us to go out to Walmart and down to Lego land when we wanted.
Your trip will be whatever you make it. You will/can have an amazing trip filled with Disney magic on site or off site, so pick the one that you want and enjoy.

Gina
I think you are splitting hairs on point #1....yes BC is technically "on property owned by disney" but it is not in the disney transportation system. to me, thats the #1 bennifit to staying at a disney hotel. park the car for a week and forget about it.

I totally agree on your second point. your vacation will be what ever you make of it. dont stress on the on vs off choice...go with your gut and dont look back.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #898
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I would only stay on property if I could stay in a2 bedroom DVC room. It's so nice to be able to put the kids to bed but stay up past 8pm ourselves. That's really hard to do in a hotel room or studio.

I've stayed on site and off. It does not ruin the experience at all staying off site. In fact I think it improved it to be able to take a break from the busyness of it all.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #899
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

[QUOTE=westcoastgal;47662529]It's finally on the Wyndham Bonnet Creek website too:

• Shuttle To Walt Disney World ® Resort: Effective March 1, 2013 each guest at Wyndham Bonnet Creek utilizing the transportation shuttle to a Disney theme park or Downtown Disney will need a ticket to board the bus. Tickets will be sold at the resort for $5 per person per round trip for any Wyndham Bonnet Creek guest wanting to use this service. Children three years of age and under will be complimentary.

/QUOTE]

So, if I'm reading this correctly, if you plan to go back to your room in the afternoon and back out in the evening, you have to pay for another $5.00 round trip ticket. I suspect those buses will be really empty! For a family of 4, a rental car plus parking suddenly looks like a good value.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #900
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Thanks.
Honestly, I'm gonna have it say it really depends on how you plan to vacation? The most important bit is, "Are you planning on spending almost every chance you get at the parks?" If so, Any 'magic' or perceived advantages of staying at an onsite disney resort start to become missed points. If your only time at the resort is spent in your room sleeping or getting ready in the AM, then the theming of the onsite resorts really isn't going to be worth the extra $$$.

If you are staying at WBC, I'd probably recommend renting a car just to make the trips to/from the resort easier (and cheaper with the new shuttle fee)... plus it'll give you the ability to head offsite to restaurants, walmart, or even a grocery store if you want to get some milk/cereal so you can feed the kids breakfast in the room before heading to the parks.

If you do decide to look at onsite, you might also want to check the pricing for a 2bdrm villa rental at DVC since you'd be able to share the room similar to at WBC, and it may be cheaper than 2 studios. I'm also not sure what the Swan/Dolphin pricing may look like for your dates, so it might be worth looking into as well. They are more of a true Deluxe level accomodation that is located in the EPCOT Resort area (almost between the Yacht Club and Boardwalk) and get the onsite transportation benefits of an onsite resort ( no magic express though)... but since they aren't run by Disney you can sometimes save money... at the very least, earn or redeem hotel reward points used outside the Disney bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
I think you are splitting hairs on point #1....yes BC is technically "on property owned by disney" but it is not in the disney transportation system. to me, thats the #1 bennifit to staying at a disney hotel. park the car for a week and forget about it.

I totally agree on your second point. your vacation will be what ever you make of it. dont stress on the on vs off choice...go with your gut and dont look back.
FWIW.... BC actually isn't technically "on property owned by Disney". It's actually on a small patch of land (along with the Hilton/Waldorf and the golf Course) that Disney didn't buy but ended up surrounded by 3 sides by Disney. Because of I-4 and an interchange since built on the 4th side, This patch of property is now effectively landlocked and can only be accessed from Disney Property, resulting in the mistaken assumption by many people that it's actually on Disney Property. (A mis-perception actually helped by the lying Wyndham sales weasles). There is actually an interesting article posted a few years ago on yesterdayland about the Bonnet Creek property's history.
Closed Thread