Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #61
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick
I've perused threads about Bonnet Creek before and having just come back from WDW I have a couple of questions. As we drove from POR to the parks I saw a sign that said "Bonnet Creek Resort" on Disney property, is this the Bonnet Creek resort of this thread? If so, how did this resort get built on property and not be a Disney resort?
Yes that is it. The original owner had purchased the land before Disney bought land in Florida, and they would not sell it to Disney. There is a lot more to the history, I think there is a thread about it on here somewhere, or if you google it you can read the whole story if you're interested.

Last edited by JessB320; 08-29-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #62
syk731
Earning My Ears

Can I ask 2 questions here about WBC that I haven't seen answered (and I tried to read most of the threads!).

1. Are the sleeper sofas at WBC comfortable enough for adults to sleep on? We've stayed in a few different suite hotels this summer, and we've found for all of them that the mattresses of the sleeper sofas are very thin and uncomfortable for adults (but fine for children).

2. Are there public bathrooms anywhere in each tower? Maybe on the first floor or something?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #63
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
I've perused threads about Bonnet Creek before and having just come back from WDW I have a couple of questions. As we drove from POR to the parks I saw a sign that said "Bonnet Creek Resort" on Disney property, is this the Bonnet Creek resort of this thread? If so, how did this resort get built on property and not be a Disney resort?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
Yes that is it. The original owner had purchased the land before Disney bought land in Florida, and they would not sell it to Disney. There is a lot more to the history, I think there is a thread about it on here somewhere, or if you google it you can read the whole story if you're interested.
Jess got the broadstrokes right. More detail can be found here.
http://www.yesterland.com/bonnet.html

Basically, it was a piece of property that Disney didn't own, but because of I-4 and the Osceola Parkway interchange it landlocked so the only way you could access it is thru Disney property. The resort area is even hooked into the Reedy Creek utilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syk731 View Post
Can I ask 2 questions here about WBC that I haven't seen answered (and I tried to read most of the threads!).

1. Are the sleeper sofas at WBC comfortable enough for adults to sleep on? We've stayed in a few different suite hotels this summer, and we've found for all of them that the mattresses of the sleeper sofas are very thin and uncomfortable for adults (but fine for children).

2. Are there public bathrooms anywhere in each tower? Maybe on the first floor or something?
I haven't slept on the sofabed, but I had a couple adult friends who did and didn't say anything good or bad about it.

Generally though, I've never found a sofa bed that had a really good matress. Since the matress/bed is designed to fold up into the couch, it kinda negates the possibility of a nice, thick, supportive matress.

And I'm not sure about in each tower, but most of the pools have public restrooms nearby which you can use without needing to go back up to your room.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #64
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, it is.
How it got built is interesting. There are 2 stories I've heard:
1. The owner of the land found out that it was Disney buying up the land, and held out for a high price. Disney declined. So it sat vacant until Wyndham bought it.
2. The owner did not like Disney, so waited for another offer.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #65
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Yes, it's the one. Way back when Walt was buying up land the guy who owned the parcel where BC is refused to sell. So the land has never been owned by Disney but is bordered on 3 sides by them. So, actually, it's not on property.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #66
ADVentive
Earning My Ears

I have started planning for our Sept 2013 vacation. I've changed my mind a few times about where we should stay, but I'm currently thinking it should be
WBC.

We will be traveling with my in-laws, and they will be bringing my neice as well. They would prefer to stay separately from us, but preferably close such as next door or across the hall so that they can listen for our kids on a baby monitor so we can go out after bedtime. We probably prefer a 2 bedroom for ourselves, and they can get either a 1 or 2 bedroom. My question is, will we be able to get rooms very close together like this? Does it make a difference if they are both the same room type or if we have a 2 br and they have a 1 br? Or would it really be best to get a 4 br if we want them to be able to monitor our kids after bedtime?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #67
MickeyMickey
DIS Veteran

Anyone know the hours of the fitness center at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and the Grand?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #68
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I have started planning for our Sept 2013 vacation. I've changed my mind a few times about where we should stay, but I'm currently thinking it should be
WBC.

We will be traveling with my in-laws, and they will be bringing my neice as well. They would prefer to stay separately from us, but preferably close such as next door or across the hall so that they can listen for our kids on a baby monitor so we can go out after bedtime. We probably prefer a 2 bedroom for ourselves, and they can get either a 1 or 2 bedroom. My question is, will we be able to get rooms very close together like this? Does it make a difference if they are both the same room type or if we have a 2 br and they have a 1 br? Or would it really be best to get a 4 br if we want them to be able to monitor our kids after bedtime?
Having the rooms close together is a request and not a guarantee. If this is really important you should book a 4BR.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #69
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
WBC.

I wouldnt feel comfortable leaving my kids in a hotel room by themselves. I would definately go with the 4 BR and that will give you lots of room to spread out. You arent guarenteed to have rooms close together.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #70
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
I wouldnt feel comfortable leaving my kids in a hotel room by themselves. I would definately go with the 4 BR and that will give you lots of room to spread out. You arent guarenteed to have rooms close together.
I agree
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
Old 09-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #71
NHDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

Just have an in law com watch TV/sit on the patio in your suite while you go out. Wouldn't matter if they were in bldng 4 and you bldng 5. I agree with them, separate space on vacation.
WBC 2/11 and 2/13
POR 2/14
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #72
syk731
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMickey View Post
Anyone know the hours of the fitness center at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and the Grand?

Thanks!
I would love to know this too. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #73
clloyd01
Earning My Ears

I wanted to thank everyone for such detailed and helpful information! This will be my family's second trip to Disney. We've stayed offsite at a house in Davenport the first time around and are staying at WBC via Vacation Strategy 11/2-11/8.

I was curious how busy WBC is during this time of year?

Thanks again so much for your insight!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #74
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clloyd01 View Post
I wanted to thank everyone for such detailed and helpful information! This will be my family's second trip to Disney. We've stayed offsite at a house in Davenport the first time around and are staying at WBC via Vacation Strategy 11/2-11/8.

It should be OK. For the parks, I suggest you check: http://www.easywdw.com/

Old 09-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #75
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
WBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Hill View Post
Having the rooms close together is a request and not a guarantee. If this is really important you should book a 4BR.
i'd agree with Janet on this. You can make the request to have the rooms close, but it's not guaranteed. You MIGHT be able to get 2 rooms in the same tower, but depending upon the locations within the tower there could be a good chance that the baby monitor wouldn't have the range to do it's job properly.

A 4br would definitely be the easiest.... but someone else made a decent suggestion on just having them spend the evening in your room while you are out. especially if "their own space" is within the same tower, it wouldn't be that difficult to make a quick run to their room if they needed/wanted something, and otherwise they'd be in the same suite as the kids if something happened and be able to enjoy TV, or the patio, etc while you guys are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clloyd01 View Post

I've been a couple times during the early november time period and enjoyed myself both times. I'm sure the resort had a good occupancy rate, but generally I never felt the place was extremely crowded or crazy.
Closed Thread