Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #106
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Which resorts are you considering? And do 2 nights.....one just isn't enough We want to see the Fantasy Land expansion, too. Can you imagine how packed it's going to be??!! Better get there super early!!! And which resort are y'all staying in for the Disney run?
I really want to do 2 nights prior to the cruise. Hopefully, we'll be able to do that. If not, I'll take one over none. I have considered these resorts so far:

AoA (Cars Suite - can't really justify the cost of a suite for a family of 3 but since it would only be a night or two, I may splurge on the suite)
Contemporary
Wilderness Lodge
AKL (thanks to your TR )

For this fall, we'll spend Sept 28th - Sept 30th @ POFQ. Then, on Sept 30th, we'll check out & move to OKW. We'll be there until Oct 7th. I'm getting so excited for our trip!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #107
chattadisser
Mouseketeer

Hi Heather!

Glad to see you've started another TR, I love reading them. Loved seeing your "bat children" at T-Rex, I think they are all bats at some point especially after being in the car. Sometimes it nice to just be tucked into a corner so they can go "batty" and you can relax for a moment. Glad to see that AKL is going well so far. We stayed there for a weekend in May and it was wonderful. But, I'm like you, for a week it might be a little too far away...

Right now I'm trying to plan a suprise birthday trip for my soon to be 7 year old in a month! We found a great AP rate at All-Star Sports that is comparable to what a birthday party would cost. She's agreed to the trip in exchange for the party, she just doesn't know where she will be going. The hard part is going to be explaining where we are going in the car without giving it away. We may just let her figure it out in the car, she's been down I-75 enough that it won't take her long to figure it out. We have also challenged ourselves to be as inexpensive on this trip as possible, which means no photopass, virtually no ADR's, ect We have a birthday breakfast ADR but that will be it. The hardest part to this trip will be not planning! We've decided that since it will be so hot that we are going to spend a lot of time at the pool and just relax.

Now...I need to go update that ticker!

Christine

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #108
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
Hi Heather!

Glad to see you've started another TR, I love reading them. Loved seeing your "bat children" at T-Rex, I think they are all bats at some point especially after being in the car. Sometimes it nice to just be tucked into a corner so they can go "batty" and you can relax for a moment. Glad to see that AKL is going well so far. We stayed there for a weekend in May and it was wonderful. But, I'm like you, for a week it might be a little too far away...

Right now I'm trying to plan a suprise birthday trip for my soon to be 7 year old in a month! We found a great AP rate at All-Star Sports that is comparable to what a birthday party would cost. She's agreed to the trip in exchange for the party, she just doesn't know where she will be going. The hard part is going to be explaining where we are going in the car without giving it away. We may just let her figure it out in the car, she's been down I-75 enough that it won't take her long to figure it out. We have also challenged ourselves to be as inexpensive on this trip as possible, which means no photopass, virtually no ADR's, ect We have a birthday breakfast ADR but that will be it. The hardest part to this trip will be not planning! We've decided that since it will be so hot that we are going to spend a lot of time at the pool and just relax.

Christine
That sounds like a great birthday surprise! Just some words of encouragement.... I did a mother/son trip last summer which was way more a 'budget' trip than our usual family deluxe trips and we had a BLAST! We stayed at Coronado, no dining plan (splurged on a walk up lunch to Le Cellier and did CS the rest of the time. We had a small plan with regards to the parks, but mainly just relaxed. It was August so pool and NAPS (just because of the heat) every afternoon (we never take naps!). I have to say I was enlightened with a less busy schedule and I think you will be too. I was very nice not have ADR's to 'get to' and it gave us tons of flexibility! I'm sure you will enjoy your 'change of pace' type of visit. As always, I'm so jealous of anyone within reasonable driving distance!!! Erin
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #109
chattadisser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
That sounds like a great birthday surprise! Just some words of encouragement.... I did a mother/son trip last summer which was way more a 'budget' trip than our usual family deluxe trips and we had a BLAST! We stayed at Coronado, no dining plan (splurged on a walk up lunch to Le Cellier and did CS the rest of the time. We had a small plan with regards to the parks, but mainly just relaxed. It was August so pool and NAPS (just because of the heat) every afternoon (we never take naps!). I have to say I was enlightened with a less busy schedule and I think you will be too. I was very nice not have ADR's to 'get to' and it gave us tons of flexibility! I'm sure you will enjoy your 'change of pace' type of visit. As always, I'm so jealous of anyone within reasonable driving distance!!! Erin
Erin,

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. This is EXACTLY what we are aiming for, relaxation and rest! School will begin on the Monday that we get back (yes realizing that I have back to school to do and secretly pack for a trip is a little hyperventaling) and I think we all need this to realize that we can slow down at Disney and we will be fine. You'd think we would realize by now, that we'll be back! We have a bigger trip coming in October that will be the usual ADR's, MNSSHP, ect so we really want to just hang out this time. Plus, it will be interesting to try a value for my deluxe spoiled family! I think they will find that they will have just as much fun!

Christine

Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #110
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Erin,

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. This is EXACTLY what we are aiming for, relaxation and rest! School will begin on the Monday that we get back (yes realizing that I have back to school to do and secretly pack for a trip is a little hyperventaling) and I think we all need this to realize that we can slow down at Disney and we will be fine. You'd think we would realize by now, that we'll be back! We have a bigger trip coming in October that will be the usual ADR's, MNSSHP, ect so we really want to just hang out this time. Plus, it will be interesting to try a value for my deluxe spoiled family! I think they will find that they will have just as much fun!

Christine
Sounds like a good way to try a value, especially because you know you are coming back in a few months. Myself and family are a little deluxe spoiled as well and I can't see my DH staying anywhere else - he likes the convenience of deluxe. I can't say I LOVED CSR, but it was nice. Our favorite moderate for shorter stays is POR. I hope you give us a mini trip report on your findings. I just got a chills thinking about back to school - yikes, we start August 22 this year which is the earliest ever for us in MI! Summer is slipping away!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #111
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Another hoarder, lol! You should see my closet under the stairs, bags full of the WDW h2o stuff!! Lol. Now I'm going to have to hoard more since my h2o source here is drying up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Did someone ask and I missed it... what scent are those H2O lovelies? Something and tangerine? I love that you lot are hoarders. I've got a stock-pile of solar gel and mickey soaps from our last two trips. *cough* I probably have some Mickey soap from CR circa 1997 around here somewhere...
Yall are killing me ...H2O Hoarding Techniques....1) Make fast friends with Disney's Housekeeping!!

Bill says to me this morning...

Bill..... "H20 products are the most expensive toiletry items in history, and that's a fact! They're totally overrated."

Me.... "What the heck are you talking about?!!" (me getting defensive)

Bill...."Starting price for a weeks supply of this stuff starts at a minium of $4000...like I said....overrated" (and he walks off)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Thanks for the explanation re: CL you experts, you. With this TR and all of y'all's help, I'm taking extensive notes to present in my case for AKL to the hubs.
Novice, here. Kook, Pas, Padawans...they would be the experts. I just like to pretend

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I really want to do 2 nights prior to the cruise. Hopefully, we'll be able to do that. If not, I'll take one over none. I have considered these resorts so far:

AoA (Cars Suite - can't really justify the cost of a suite for a family of 3 but since it would only be a night or two, I may splurge on the suite)
Contemporary
Wilderness Lodge
AKL (thanks to your TR )

For this fall, we'll spend Sept 28th - Sept 30th @ POFQ. Then, on Sept 30th, we'll check out & move to OKW. We'll be there until Oct 7th. I'm getting so excited for our trip!
Well....if you're going to the MK, the CR or WL might be the best bet unless you don't mind the buses. (as you know, I'm not a fan) Of course CR is one short walk away.......the best beds ever...nice, big room....

Did yall request a specific room or location at POFQ? Looks like OKW has some really big villas, too.

Quote:
Hi Heather!

Christine
Christine!!!

So glad to 'see' you again!! What a great bday present!! Our friends are celebrating their daughter's bday at WDW, too, in September...I think Labor Day weekend. That's what she said she wanted. Great to surprise your daughter, too...I love it!! I think Erin is right about a more relaxed vacation. You will probably really, really enjoy it. My trips are usually go, go, go, also. It's nice to take it easy sometimes I want to here all about your perspective on the Value since you're a Deluxe person...let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
Sounds like a good way to try a value, especially because you know you are coming back in a few months. Myself and family are a little deluxe spoiled as well and I can't see my DH staying anywhere else - he likes the convenience of deluxe. I can't say I LOVED CSR, but it was nice. Our favorite moderate for shorter stays is POR. I hope you give us a mini trip report on your findings. I just got a chills thinking about back to school - yikes, we start August 22 this year which is the earliest ever for us in MI! Summer is slipping away!!! Erin
And y'all think you start back early to school??!! The teachers (me) go back July 25th!!!! Seriously ridiculous!!! Heaven help us

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #112
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well....if you're going to the MK, the CR or WL might be the best bet unless you don't mind the buses. (as you know, I'm not a fan) Of course CR is one short walk away.......the best beds ever...nice, big room....
I think Contemporary will be my #1 choice. It just makes sense. WL would be 2nd even though I didn't love the rooms. But, the resort is very nice & still close to MK. But, I'm thinking a night or two at Contemporary would be a terrific way for us to try out the resort to see if it's worth it to us to spend all that money to stay there longer.

Quote:
Did yall request a specific room or location at POFQ? Looks like OKW has some really big villas, too.
You know....at this point, I honestly can't remember if I've made any requests on our POFQ reservation. I guess we'll just see what we end up with. I do know that I just booked a standard room since we'll only be there 2 nights.

I won't lie.....I'm not overly excited about staying at OKW. But, we traded our time with our Hilton timeshare into DVC & this was all that was available. It saved us a lot of money so that does make me happy. And I've heard that their studios are very large - even bigger than the rooms at WL so that makes me happy.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #113
emma212010
DIS Veteran

What a lovely room!! Your DD is so cute standing by the window!! That must have been so exciting to see the animals right from your room! Ok, AKL is looking better and better!!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 07-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #114
disbeachprincess
Earning My Ears

Subscribing! I've read your past reports and am excited to join this one "live"!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #115
disneydreaminA115
Long time lurker - coming out to play!

Subbing! Love your review so far, can't wait for more! I love seeing CL reviews

*The evening star is shining bright, so make a wish and hold on tight, there's magic in the air tonight and anything could happen*

Grand Floridian Dec 2012 - The Sweetest Little Disneymoon Ever! **In Progress**
POP/POFQ Dec 2011 - Eating and Napping Our Way Through The World - A First Timers Black Friday Trip Report!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #116
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think Contemporary will be my #1 choice. It just makes sense. WL would be 2nd even though I didn't love the rooms. But, the resort is very nice & still close to MK. But, I'm thinking a night or two at Contemporary would be a terrific way for us to try out the resort to see if it's worth it to us to spend all that money to stay there longer.
Aren't the GV rooms at CR around the same price as WL? You could do that. Of course I'm sure you've already priced that out And honestly, the non-tower rooms wouldn't be bad at all. The WL rooms are not my fav either. Bill loves them, but I think they are a little small...same size as AKL, I think.

Quote:
You know....at this point, I honestly can't remember if I've made any requests on our POFQ reservation. I guess we'll just see what we end up with. I do know that I just booked a standard room since we'll only be there 2 nights.
Haven't their rooms been recently renovated with characters? I think I remember reading something about some of their princess rooms, which by the way look awesome....or at least I think it was POFQ...maybe not.

Quote:
I won't lie.....I'm not overly excited about staying at OKW. But, we traded our time with our Hilton timeshare into DVC & this was all that was available. It saved us a lot of money so that does make me happy. And I've heard that their studios are very large - even bigger than the rooms at WL so that makes me happy.
Listen...I don't blame you at all!!!! That's extra money in your pocket. I would certainly stay at OKW before staying offsite....it's Disney, right?! I bet yall end up liking it...I'll be reading your TR for al the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
What a lovely room!! Your DD is so cute standing by the window!! That must have been so exciting to see the animals right from your room! Ok, AKL is looking better and better!!
You need to put it on your 'must stay at' list. Not sure what kind of 'view' you have to have, but the pool view looked great, too....very relaxing. Their pool is really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbeachprincess View Post
Subscribing! I've read your past reports and am excited to join this one "live"!
back! Glad to have you "live" this time! Have you been a longtime lurker?.....like my husband and brother-in-law

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreaminA115 View Post
Subbing! Love your review so far, can't wait for more! I love seeing CL reviews
Hi there Hopefully the CL food/pic will be done tomorrow or Tuesday.

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #117
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Yea, I'm so glad to see you have started your new TR. I loved your TR from last summer
Old 07-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #118
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

I am loving your tr!! Staying at AKL is a dream of mine! It's absolutely gorgeous! T-Rex looks so good too. YUM!! What a cool place!!

I love that your kids love Disney so much too! I have already converted my 3 year old so much that I will ask him where he wants to go for lunch and he'll be like "Disney World" all nonchalant like we can just head over there real quick. Can't wait for more.
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR
I Kept My Eyes Open the Whole Time! - Nov 2014 TR

Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #119
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Evening at the Lodge

Day 1
Evening at the Lodge

While I relaxed in the room for a bit, Stephen was wandering around the Lodge with camera in hand snapping photos of Hidden Mickeys…..and some that were not so Hidden Mickeys. Let’s just say that some were a stretch….but the one below is for real.

The Hidden Mickey challenge has become somewhat of a tradition in our family. Jesse is still a little young to completely understand, but Faith has quite the eye when it comes to finding them. Notice the picture below with the smaller pieces of wood between the large beams…

Somehow Faith spotted this Hidden Mickey…I would never think to look below the 3 pieces of wood, but she did.

Of course we had some balcony time to observe the animals. Pop snapped this shot with his telephoto lens….this little guy was a ways off. But don’t worry, all the animals walk up very closey to the balconies (or as close as they can…there’s an electric fence surrounding the savannah that’s camouflaged)

We were a bit hungry, so we strolled up to the lounge for a little dinner. Or perhaps I should say appetizers. Club Level offerings don’t constitute ‘dinner’ for us…JMO. We were there a little before 5, and surprisingly enough, there weren’t many people in the lounge. I was secretly very happy because the kids were overly excited. Actually….they were just plain crazy! We had already given them the lecture about manners, and not stacking their plates to the ceiling, and not running around like mad people, and not yelling……and the list goes on!

The entire lounge looks over the lobby area of the Lodge….very nice. I do wonder, though, why the lounge doesn’t look over one of the savannahs….just a thought.
There’s a great place AWAY from everyone for the kids to eat, color, and watch TV. Faith immediately saw the crayons and color sheets and parked herself at the little table. She and her new found friend played for a while and ate together.

I only have 1 picture of the food for now…..BUT… before yall start yelling at me, let me preface this by saying that the Club Level Food Pictures are in the NEXT installment. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way….let’s move on...

When the food trays were empty, the staff very quickly replenished it. The hummus was very tasty especially with the pita chips. And I believe that the hummus was out each night….3 different versions.

And so much for manners! For heaven sakes…do ya think he could get a little more food in his mouth!? I promise that we do teach our children about table etiquette...apparently, it slipped his mind in all the excitement.

After dinner we ventured around the Lodge a bit more just checking out the scenery and layout of the resort…..camera by our sides, of course. Can you see the silhouette of Faith and MaHopie in the picture? They went to the 5th floor for this shot….the kids wanted to walk across the bridge.

Pop also captured another Hidden Mickey….I believe this was taken from the 5th or 6th floor. I asked Stephen where this was taken, and his reply…. “On the tops of those little things”….. Good grief!Who knows??!! Not a very definitive answer.

Since it was MaHopies birthday, we had flowers delivered to the room. The CL staff was very helpful with this….they gave me the Disney Florist number and told me they would take care of the flowers when they arrived.

The florist did a great job! There was even a tiny Mickey in the center of one of the flowers. The Minnie Mouse coffee mug that the flowers were in now resides at my house (sorry, Mom….you weren’t using it. I hated to let it go to waste.)

Earlier, I told the kids that Mickey Mouse sent me a txt saying that he left gifts in the room (of course Stephen just played along) My parents bought the kids towels with their names embroidered on them, and we had a few other things for them as well.

Stephen was given a DVD set entitled “Magic Kingdom, Imagineering the Magic”. It’s REALLY good if you like Disney History….Stephen has watched it twice. I’m such a sap when it comes to Walt Disney and old video footage….tears always come to my eyes…..I know, I know….but remember, I’m the one who cries when I watch Wishes.

As many of you know, when you stay CL, you get turndown service….

I always look forward to the chocolates and the robes laid out so nicely. And you bet…I put that robe on….just because...

Faith’s bed was too cute. Each night MouseKeeping did something different with the kids’ stuff. Just another perk of CL…not that it makes or breaks the trip….just a little bit of Disney Magic.

Showing off her new nightgown (which was too big) and her new Minnie…

Up next….Club Level Food & Pictures!

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7

Last edited by hstrickland; 07-08-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #120
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Aw your Faith is just a little button she is so cute! I love the Minnie nightgown. I think we are going to have to get into searching for the Hidden Mickeys more this trip too. We did it a little bit at the Poly last year, but then get distracted with everything else. Great update Heather!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: