Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #571
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

great update and summary - must have been some early morning photo shoots, not many people in those pictures! I may have to think about staying there now, it will have to be a trip without the 5 of us, so maybe Caleb's mother/son trip (he wants to stay there). I can't imaging my DH on all those theme park bus rides, not a good picture in my head!!!

Now, onto the cruise, can't wait for more! Erin
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #572
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
you know how they say WDW is the happiest place on earth? Well, that's cause anyone not happy, gets vaporized when they pass under the Arch other daughter of course erupted in laughter. Now it's the standing joke when we drive under that arch. Ok, get ready to be vaporized if your not happy
I love this, I am telling my family this story for the next trip!!! Have a great time at AKL!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #573
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE="hstrickland"]

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Are you doing a villa at AKL or Kidani? Hopefully your weather will be better than ours It didn't spoil the trip, though. The Dream is fabulous, isn't it?! We can compare notes

We are staying at Kidani Village. My only fear is that everything to do is at Jambo. Hopefully we love it.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #574
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Great review! I'd love to stay there one day! Maybe just a couple of nights to get the feel and then the rest at a favorite! I love the arcade review! Lol! Sounds very scientifically researched and compared! :-)
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 08-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #575
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great summary! Your photos are fantastic! Just a few more days for us till we drive under that Welcome Arch.
Told one of my daughters who was not having a good day, once on our drive from Cocoa Beadh pre WDW that - you know how they say WDW is the happiest place on earth? Well, that's cause anyone not happy, gets vaporized when they pass under the Arch other daughter of course erupted in laughter. Now it's the standing joke when we drive under that arch. Ok, get ready to be vaporized if your not happy
I love this!!! Bill said we'll try it next time we ride under the enfamous sign.

Quote:
Got our pool noodles ready for lots of afternoons floating around the pool . Maybe even take some time to go to the today!
Hope you made it to the beach! We should have done the same thing...it wasn't too hot here, surprisingly enough. I know you're excited!!! Hope all has gone well in Lauderdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Thanks so much for the beautiful pictures! I'm so ready to be back there, almost to the two week mark. it is my absolute favorite resort! I'm going to try the WL next Christmas, so we'll see how I like the close commute to MK. Have never stayed in the MK area yet.
Two weeks is all???!!! It will be here before ya know it! WL at Christmas will be beautiful for sure! I think you'll like the decor, too. Of course it's much different than AKL, but still very inviting with lots of rustic charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
great update and summary - must have been some early morning photo shoots, not many people in those pictures! I may have to think about staying there now, it will have to be a trip without the 5 of us, so maybe Caleb's mother/son trip (he wants to stay there). I can't imaging my DH on all those theme park bus rides, not a good picture in my head!!!

Now, onto the cruise, can't wait for more! Erin
Early morning....how did you ever guess AKL would be a great resort for yalls mother/son trip. Let me know when you do this....I might have to sneak down there and see yall

Bill and his bus rides.......we joke about it all the time. He's like a stalker on those buses, looking for somebody to chat with! On the way over to the BC, there was standing room only. So...what does Bill do??....stands by the driver and chit-chats the entire ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWaddictt View Post

We are staying at Kidani Village. My only fear is that everything to do is at Jambo. Hopefully we love it.
You'll be fine And if you want to go over to Jambo, it's a quick 3 minute ride by the courtesy shuttle. From the reading material that was left in the room, there seems to be some of the same activities at Kidani. It's very quiet at Kidani which is nice...not lots of people roaming around. That could be a big plus!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
Great review! I'd love to stay there one day! Maybe just a couple of nights to get the feel and then the rest at a favorite! I love the arcade review! Lol! Sounds very scientifically researched and compared! :-)
Of course....what 11 year old boy doesn't know his video games?!

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #576
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland

You'll be fine And if you want to go over to Jambo, it's a quick 3 minute ride by the courtesy shuttle. From the reading material that was left in the room, there seems to be some of the same activities at Kidani. It's very quiet at Kidani which is nice...not lots of people roaming around. That could be a big plus!!
Sounds great! Thanks!!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #577
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hmmmm.... guess you can't wait until the last minute to book, either, since you fly and need to buy tickets. I've found that if I don't book a room, that's when I get these codes. OR....you could book a value way in advance, have your 'dream' resort saved on the Disney site for the same time (maybe they'll send you a pin anyway) OR book a value and wait for the general discount to appear (that will happen, ya know) What exactly are you tentatively planning?? Or is this a secret?
PTR coming in a week or so - you MUST join in because I need you to help me!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #578
disney777
DIS Veteran

Did you use the new H20 shampoo? I'm assuming they had it at AKL. Doing my packing, and wondering how the shampoo was. The other H20 brand worked fine for me, I'm hoping the new line is as good.
Less than a week now for me. It's going to be a long week at work. But then 2 weeks at AKL. I'm sooo looking forward to it. Your post has been fun to read and kept me in the AKL mode during my wait.
9/1990 offsite, 10/1999 ASMu, 10/2001 ASMo. 9/2003 ASMo, 9/2004 Pop, 1/2005 Pop/AKL, 9/2005 Pop, 1/2006 Pop/ POFQ, 9/2006 POFQ 10/2006 CSR, 1/2007 Pop,9/2007 WL/BWV, 1/2008 POFQ, 8/2008 POP/CR, 1/2009 POFQ, 9/2009 Saratoga Springs, 1/2010 POFQ, 8/2010 POP/BCV, 1/2011 POR/POFQ, 8/2011 POP/BCV, 1/2012 POFQ, 8/2012 AKL/AKL CL, 1/2013 POFQ, 8/2013 YC, 1/2014 POP/POFQ, 8/2014 GF
Old 08-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #579
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

HI there I've been lurking on your trip report and based on your photos and reviews of AKL, I just switched my reservations from CSR to AKL!!! Granted were not staying club level, but my DH and I have only ever stayed at All Star Music so this should be a great change for us!! I'm really enjoying your trip reports and can't wait to read more. -Amanda
Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #580
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Thanks, yes we did get to the yesterday and was great floating along on the noodles. Got the fat ones .

I'd like to know your thoughts on the new H2o shampoo & conditioner too! The hotel we're at here in Ft Lauderdale has Paul Mitchell products, and after I told our housekeeper that we liked them, she's been leaving 5 of everything every day so I'm stocking up just in case .
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 08-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #581
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
PTR coming in a week or so - you MUST join in because I need you to help me!!!!!!!!
No kidding?! Can't wait to see what you're trying to decide upon! I'll be happy to throw my two cents worth in

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney777 View Post
Did you use the new H20 shampoo? I'm assuming they had it at AKL. Doing my packing, and wondering how the shampoo was. The other H20 brand worked fine for me, I'm hoping the new line is as good.
Less than a week now for me. It's going to be a long week at work. But then 2 weeks at AKL. I'm sooo looking forward to it. Your post has been fun to read and kept me in the AKL mode during my wait.
for a week!!!! I bet your work week zooms by

Quote:
Thanks, yes we did get to the yesterday and was great floating along on the noodles. Got the fat ones .

I'd like to know your thoughts on the new H2o shampoo & conditioner too! The hotel we're at here in Ft Lauderdale has Paul Mitchell products, and after I told our housekeeper that we liked them, she's been leaving 5 of everything every day so I'm stocking up just in case .
Sue & disney777....the H2O products at AKL were GREAT!!!

I think it was Grapefruit Bergamot or something like that. Perhaps I should have hinted that I LOVE the H2O products and I would have gotten more. Sue, you'll definitely be stocked up on shampoos for at least a year!...and so the hoarding has commenced....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
HI there I've been lurking on your trip report and based on your photos and reviews of AKL, I just switched my reservations from CSR to AKL!!! Granted were not staying club level, but my DH and I have only ever stayed at All Star Music so this should be a great change for us!! I'm really enjoying your trip reports and can't wait to read more. -Amanda
You switched?!! Good for you! Yall won't be disappointed at all. You'll certainly enjoy the extra amenities...bigger rooms, queen size bed, balcony, etc. I know yall are excited!!! But be warned.....you may have a hard time NOT booking a deluxe for your next trip When you get back, I would love to hear your thoughts on AKL.

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 08-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #582
cdotla
Trish

Hey Heather...finally popping by. I've been away from the boards for quite awhile, but so happy to see you have a TR up and running. Yours are my favorite...I don't think I will ever tire of your charming little family!

All caught up in one sitting and can't wait to hear all about the rest of your trip!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #583
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Day 5
Headin’ To the Coast…

Everyone was just a little excited on this rainy Sunday morning! We were up at the crack of dawn and hit the lounge for a very early breakfast. Stephanie’s crew wasn’t moving quite as fast….Jonah and Ivy enjoyed their balcony for a bit…

If you remember me saying, their room was a standard view but still gave them a small piece of the savannah….the Sunset Savannah, I think….

We all gathered downstairs for some quick photos of the kids’ cruise attire…

Bet ya can’t guess we like Disney??

I’m sure this picture will shock all of you….Jesse in front of the TV. Now he’s pulled poor Jonah into his obsession.

As we say good-bye to the AKL, it’s bitter-sweet. While we certainly enjoyed our four day stint, we’re ready to experience the Disney Dream.

Can you hear the roar of the engine??? The Ferrari-Van is ready to put the pedal to the medal!

We rolled out around 9:30ish….since mom, Faith, Jesse and I were following Bill, Pop, and Stephen, we had to travel the speed limit (Bill was driving his company vehicle). Stephanie and crew were going to have breakfast at Boma, then Disney was picking them up around 10:45.

The drive over to Port Canaveral is super easy….basically a straight shot and only takes an hour.

The closer we got, the more excited the kids became. Since I was driving, I couldn’t enjoy the beautiful sight of the Dream! Pictures just don’t do it justice!!! You can see it from miles away.

On many of the cruise sites, it says the ports don’t let you in until at least 10:45am….however, when we arrived at 10:30, lots of early birds were already parked and in the terminal!

A very friendly cast member asked for a little information, then pointed us in the right direction. We pulled over by the terminal and they unloaded all of our luggage and away it went. Bill and Pop took both vehicles to the covered parking garage.

Entering through security was a cinch ….no long lines and no hassle.

Once inside, I was like a fish out of water. I had no clue what I was supposed to do first!!! Apparently I looked completely lost because a nice man told me we needed to fill out some paperwork before getting in line.

(Sean and Ivy at a later time…)

After all documents were complete, we jumped in line. By this time, Bill and Pop had joined us. This didn’t take long at all!! I couldn’t believe how quick it was.

The kind gentleman gave us a card with a boarding number….

Our port arrival time was 11:30am (this doesn’t mean boarding time). By 11:00am we had the boarding number. I was super happy…..9 means we’ll get on quickly!

We notice that Mickey was now out and about greeting the cruise guests. Since the line was getting long, we decided to go ahead and jump in…..what cruise is complete without an introductory picture?!

Continued on next post.

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
Old 08-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #584
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post….

Warning….I’m going to bore you with the family pictures…..

Now that you’ve seen the same family members four different ways, we can move on….

Since we had time, why not go ahead and sign up the kids for the Oceaneers Club??? We actually did this online, but had to have the children present to get the wrist bands.

Jesse is quite proud of this wrist band! After signing in, we were super lucky and found a table and chairs by the boarding gate.

While we sat waiting, we were trying to decide what the big N meant on our cards??? If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the place we met for the emergency drill........maybe....

Time was drawing near and people were getting antsy. There was no reason for us to jump up in line since we were #9....we just sat and people watched. (one of my favorite past-times)

There’s a small observation deck …not crowded at all. Too bad it was rainy or else we might have gotten some better pics.

This is the entry to the ship….

It’s almost that time…..group 8 has just been called so now would be the time for us to make our way to the line.

I was really surprised that everything was going so smoothly….no rushing around, nobody pushing and shoving to get in line….a very easy process.

At this time, they called our number!!! Can you say EXCITED??!!!

Once we went through the Mickey ears, there was another line waiting to get pictures and then board the ship.

So close….I can see the entrance of the ship now….but just one more picture before we actually step on the Dream…..

Just a few more steps……

Up next……..finally onboard and it’s time to eat!

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7

Last edited by hstrickland; 08-19-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #585
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Cruise Day! I can just feel the excitement!!!

I'm taken right back to our embarktion day and how exciting it was.

Loving all the pictures

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: