Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #556
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytss View Post
Yeah!!!! we made it!!! The most stressful day and a half of my life!

It only took you 6 weeks to make it to our arrival in your TR! So we have 6 more days in the trip which means about 10 more weeks before you complete the TR!

Seriously, I am sorry it was such a stressful adventure to get there

Aug 14 TR: Go with the flow dudeJungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #557
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

I'm finally back to the boards, first stop, this TR!!!

Praise the Lord that day when the family finally arrived, I was thinking about it all day wondering and worrying for you!

Love the Boma report - we have never tried it even though I have booked it TONS for clients and they always want to go back again?!? So, I bet the crowds and long waits might have influenced the overall experience (not to mention the rainy day, worry for the family, etc.)

Looking forward to my easy chair and the rest of the evening on the Disboards catching up while I do (don't ya love how many of us say this, 'catching up' when we have been away for a few days - only fellow Disers would understand!!!)

Keep the updates coming, we them!!! Erin and crew (kiddos love the pics too!)
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Beach Club

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #558
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #559
Sue M
DIS Veteran

ok, sitting in my hotel room in Ft Lauderdale after an exhausting day hoping for a TR update
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Old 08-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #560
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post

When do discounts like that usually come out? Was it a pin code or something else?

I will be starting a PTR before long - I need you all to help me with some of these major decisions!
Not sure how the pincodes work...it's a secret that everyone would love to know. I usually just save a couple of trips on the Disney website and then we get these emails from Disney Destinations. But be careful....sometimes those codes are at the very bottom and hard to see. OR, you can get the Disney Visa and they'll offer discounts, OR you can wait for the general code (which always appears). Not sure that really answered your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post

Looking forward to my easy chair and the rest of the evening on the Disboards catching up while I do (don't ya love how many of us say this, 'catching up' when we have been away for a few days - only fellow Disers would understand!!!)
I totally get the 'catch up'!!! That's what I'll be doing in the morning....or after karate.......a weeks worth of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
ok, sitting in my hotel room in Ft Lauderdale after an exhausting day hoping for a TR update
I know, I know!!! Sorry!!! Would you believe me if I said there will be a post tonight??? I'm working on one now. Give me several hours....between washing clothes, cooking and cleaning up, I'll get it done

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #561
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom Lodge

Animal Kingdom Lodge Review...…kind of

(minus rooms, Club Level, Jiko, Boma, animals….)

As many of you know, I’ve ALWAYS been very hesitant about staying at the AKL. The main reason….the location….and the transportation options. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a bit of a MK resort snob, and perhaps I need to venture out a bit more….so…that’s exactly what we did, and so glad we did it!!

The landscape is perfectly themed and couldn’t be more perfect for an African setting….the thatched rooftop truly looks genuine. Even up close, you can’t tell it’s faux straw.

If you feel like splurging a bit, or just feel like being lazy while on vacation (that’s me)….use the valet service to park the car. Very easy, and fairly quick….around $12.00 a day.

Once inside, the very hospitable cast members will be more than happy to check you in. I don’t recall ever seeing the check-in super busy. It always appeared that there was an abundance of CMs to assist with guests’ needs.

The pool area is another world in itself….plenty to do, and beautiful scenery to accompany it….

If you’re interested in a workout, you can head down this path to the fitness club. It’s located on the right side of the pool.

Not far from the gym, there’s a hot tub surrounded by beautiful foliage. Unfortunately, the few times I ventured over to take a dip, there were small children playing in it.

I thought this was a neat little area for rooms….kinda tucked away in the corner away from everything.

If the kids get restless and they need to exert some energy, try the playground…..very neat and clean. The few times I passed by, it was empty...

Of course the pool is awesome!!! No complaints here….well….maybe the slide….it’s great for smaller children, but bigger kids like Stephen lose interest fast. It’s too slow.

The baby pool….

So…if the big kids get bored, send them over to the arcade!

It’s actually much better than the GFs, WLs and the Polys….bigger! But not as good as the CRs aracade (the source of this info comes straight from an 11 year old, therefore it must be accurate)

Perhaps you need a few hours to yourself….send the kiddos to Simbas! I believe it’s open from 4pm-12am and around $11 an hour per child. I did go in and look around. My children didn’t seem too interested….Faith said it wasn’t like the Neverland Club at the Poly, and therefore she really didn’t want to go. I’ve heard great and wonderful things about the club, though. The CMs inside were super friendly and answered all my questions.

Thirsty?? Hungry??….head to the Mara.

We never ate anything from here, but did refill our mugs while lounging out by the pool. It did seem a bit chaotic, but it’s a food court so that’s understandable.

Our experience at the AKL was superb!!! From the room and view, to each cast member, the visit was perfect. I’m so very glad we gave it a try and one day might stay there again. If I didn’t have those ridiculous longings for Cinderella Castle and Bay Lake, AKL might be a favorite resort….I just sorta missed my MK area. However….our experience with the Cast Members at AKL far outweigh the CMs we’ve encountered elsewhere….and that’s a fact!

Up next……departing WDW and headin’ to the coast!

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP

Last edited by hstrickland; 08-17-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #562
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great overview of AKL...
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #563
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

Sounds awesome...now I can't wait until Feb when we are there. Thanks for the trip report. I can't wait until your review on the Dream, we were on it last year (Oct 2011). Loved it!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #564
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great recap on AKL. We are considering a split stay there now for our trip next Oct (a few nights before WL).

Cant wait for your next updates...dying to hear about the cruise!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #565
RGirl
DIS Veteran

So glad you had such a great experience at AKL.

Can't wait for the cruise!!!

Quote:
Not sure how the pincodes work...it's a secret that everyone would love to know. I usually just save a couple of trips on the Disney website and then we get these emails from Disney Destinations. But be careful....sometimes those codes are at the very bottom and hard to see. OR, you can get the Disney Visa and they'll offer discounts, OR you can wait for the general code (which always appears). Not sure that really answered your question
Yeah, I get the codes too (and have the Disney visa) - just haven't ever gotten one I could use. Was hoping there was another super-secret way to get discounts.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #566
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Great review of AKL! I'm like you-always worried about the location and travel time (we're bus users). Sounds like it would certainly be worth it though for the level of service provided.

Gorgeous pictures-you're TRs are so thorough!

I'm so glad that your sister's family made it safely. Those poor kids. But what a welcome! They must have been excited to see the view!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #567
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Love the review of AKL! You really covered everything!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #568
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Thanks for the great overview of AKL...
I finally made it to the cruise! Can ya believe it??! Your ticker is getting pretty close!!!! Have you started packing, yet or getting a list put together? Just curious, but does everyone up north travel in August for their vacation??? Seems that way. My sister says that many people in CT go south in August....just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWaddictt View Post
Sounds awesome...now I can't wait until Feb when we are there. Thanks for the trip report. I can't wait until your review on the Dream, we were on it last year (Oct 2011). Loved it!
I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Are you doing a villa at AKL or Kidani? Hopefully your weather will be better than ours It didn't spoil the trip, though. The Dream is fabulous, isn't it?! We can compare notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Thanks for the great recap on AKL. We are considering a split stay there now for our trip next Oct (a few nights before WL).

Cant wait for your next updates...dying to hear about the cruise!
That would be a great split! AKL is close to AK and DHS....and WL is by the MK (my very favorite place!!) Bill absolutely LOVES WL and would stay there every visit if I let him. Unfortunately our family is outgrowing the rooms...sleeping on the floor no longer seems appealing to my 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
So glad you had such a great experience at AKL.

Can't wait for the cruise!!!

Yeah, I get the codes too (and have the Disney visa) - just haven't ever gotten one I could use. Was hoping there was another super-secret way to get discounts.
Hmmmm.... guess you can't wait until the last minute to book, either, since you fly and need to buy tickets. I've found that if I don't book a room, that's when I get these codes. OR....you could book a value way in advance, have your 'dream' resort saved on the Disney site for the same time (maybe they'll send you a pin anyway) OR book a value and wait for the general discount to appear (that will happen, ya know) What exactly are you tentatively planning?? Or is this a secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Great review of AKL! I'm like you-always worried about the location and travel time (we're bus users). Sounds like it would certainly be worth it though for the level of service provided.

Gorgeous pictures-you're TRs are so thorough!

I'm so glad that your sister's family made it safely. Those poor kids. But what a welcome! They must have been excited to see the view!
Bill thinks the buses are wonderful and absolutely LOVES riding them so for him the transportation was fine. I would consider doing a split stay with AKL and a MK resort. I wasn't crazy about the bus ride from the MK area....a bit lengthy but that's JMO. In the big scheme of things I guess that's a really minor complaint. Even the BC/YC makes me nervous with the whole bus thing....so silly of me, isn't it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Love the review of AKL! You really covered everything!
Your time is drawing very near!!!! How's the running going? Are you making progress??

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
Old 08-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #569
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Great summary! Your photos are fantastic! Just a few more days for us till we drive under that Welcome Arch.
Told one of my daughters who was not having a good day, once on our drive from Cocoa Beadh pre WDW that - you know how they say WDW is the happiest place on earth? Well, that's cause anyone not happy, gets vaporized when they pass under the Arch other daughter of course erupted in laughter. Now it's the standing joke when we drive under that arch. Ok, get ready to be vaporized if your not happy

Got our pool noodles ready for lots of afternoons floating around the pool . Maybe even take some time to go to the today!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #570
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Thanks so much for the beautiful pictures! I'm so ready to be back there, almost to the two week mark. it is my absolute favorite resort! I'm going to try the WL next Christmas, so we'll see how I like the close commute to MK. Have never stayed in the MK area yet.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: