Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #496
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

[QUOTE=jennyjinx3;45718640]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post

We have requested Tokelau again, last year was our first stay at the Poly in Tokelau. 2010 was offsite, our first trip ever as a family...DH had been when he was 12, I had never been !! This is how I explain my obsession....missing out as a cild!!
I have the same adult introduction to Disney - making up for lost time right! I only went as a kid 1x just for the day to MK, and as a teen 1x for the day. We stayed in Tokelua as well, I would want that or Samoa.

Hi Heather - no split stays for me, I like to unpack and settle in. We stayed at CR once, loved it, it's a close tie with Poly, but I love the Hawaiian theme. Have a great week!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

Old 08-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #497
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Oh my! That IS a tease being so close to the MK but not going in. I totally know what you mean about the smell. Not sure I'd recognize the Poly scent just b/c I have only been there a few times but the BC scent is

Looking forward to hearing about Boma, and of course the cruise!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #498
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post

Hi Heather - no split stays for me, I like to unpack and settle in. We stayed at CR once, loved it, it's a close tie with Poly, but I love the Hawaiian theme. Have a great week!
Aren't you on vacation? Are you posting from Bret's phone? I'm impressed.....scared to post anything from mine. I'm always afraid it will post something funky. Split stays aren't for me either...UNLESS I was going to be there for like 2 weeks. Of course I say that... it has actually crossed my mind for our next big Disney trip.....EP resorts/MK resorts. That would mean that I would have to extend my 7 day trip to maybe a 10 or 11 dayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Oh my! That IS a tease being so close to the MK but not going in. I totally know what you mean about the smell. Not sure I'd recognize the Poly scent just b/c I have only been there a few times but the BC scent is

Looking forward to hearing about Boma, and of course the cruise!!
I'll never do that again....seriously. It gives me a headache thinking about it And I lied about Boma....that will not be the next one....but the next

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 08-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #499
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Day 4
An Arusha View

After returning from a whirlwind tour of the resorts, we were in need of a quick snack in the lounge. It wasn’t crowded at all….guess everyone was at the MK As I’ve mentioned previously, we were super impressed by the hospitality of the AKL CMs. Well…once again, they have gone above and beyond.

While the adults were relaxing at a quiet table, this young lady had color pages, tattoos, and stickers for the children. At first I thought she was just going to give them the stickers and be on her way. Much to my surprise, she sat down with them and started to color and chat….totally interacting with the kids. Faith, Jesse, and Stephen loved it! And it wasn’t for only a few minutes…..she told them about her country, the language she speaks, etc.

We had to pry the kids away from the children’s area….they needed to go back to the room and get ready for dinner.

Pop decided to snap a few (well, a ton) of photos while relaxing on the balcony. As you can see, lots of animals were roaming around the Arusha savannah…

It was super neat to see all the giraffes in one spot!

If you’re a camera bug, don’t forget the telephoto lens!!! It’s a must if you’re sitting on the balcony. Pop spotted this vulture perched on top of a suite.

Way cool to watch these guys eat….fyi….giraffes have tongues that are 18 inches long and blue! The kids were amazed to say the least.

Looks like this fella is wanting to tell us something….

A zebra finally wandered up within camera shot. The giraffes seemed to be out the most….zebras not as much.

Faith had been busy getting Sophia ready for dinner….now she’s dressed and ready to enjoy an evening at Boma (or so she thinks)

Before going to dinner, Stephen decided to try the concierge desk at the AKL to see if they had any pins he was interested in.

Surprisingly enough, this is where we found Jesse…..you’re shocked, I know….

After a few minutes, a crowd ensued to watch the Disney Channel…..

Up next….dinner at Boma (and that’s a promise)

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 08-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #500
chattadisser
Mouseketeer

Heather, isn't that cruel and unusual punishment to yourself to be that close to the MK and not go in? I think I would have bolted and ran for the turnstiles!

Your trip report is making me make a case for an upgrade to CL at AKL in October. Of course, it all depends on AP discounts when they come out.

Thanks for the tip on the outfits for AG dolls, I'm sure that is going to be on our list for must have's. Sophia looks wonderful in her Minnie dress, it's just like the one they have for the little girls!

Can't wait to hear about Boma, I liked it but after Jiko....

I'm off to go pack in unnoticed...I guess that means I'll be hiding in the closet.

Christine

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #501
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
Heather, isn't that cruel and unusual punishment to yourself to be that close to the MK and not go in? I think I would have bolted and ran for the turnstiles!
Guess I was thinking that if I saw MK it would ease my longing to go....HA! I was wrong...it did the exact opposite!!!!

Quote:
Your trip report is making me make a case for an upgrade to CL at AKL in October. Of course, it all depends on AP discounts when they come out.
We wouldn't have booked that if there wasn't a discount....it would have been a pool view most likely. Sooooooo very glad the discount showed up!! It's worth it (JMO)

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the outfits for AG dolls, I'm sure that is going to be on our list for must have's. Sophia looks wonderful in her Minnie dress, it's just like the one they have for the little girls!
If you see one at DTD, let me know. I couldn't find any. So....I just assumed there were none to be had at WDW. Much to my surprise they were at the Poly!! None at AKL, though. Weird.

Quote:
Can't wait to hear about Boma, I liked it but after Jiko....

I'm off to go pack in unnoticed...I guess that means I'll be hiding in the closet.

Christine
2 days!!!!!! Are you still hiding in the closet?!

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #502
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

All caught up! I like the Poly smell too! I have never steeped foot in the Grand Floridian, I have to fix that.
The animal shots are great! Funny, we saw more zebras than giraffes when we were there.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #503
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

A short but sweet update and I am between Jesse watching tv again (Pop is right...Maybe should have counted times you found him here! ) and Faith getting Sophia ready for dinner. Your kids are adorable!!!!!!

I am so intrigued and encouraged by your experience with the AKL CMs. It sounds awesome!!!! It would have been so easy to just throw some crayons at the kids...love that she got involved and interacted with them!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #504
disney777
DIS Veteran

I'll be at AKL in less than 3 weeks! I'm so excited for my 2nd stay there. 5 days with Pool View, and then 9 days of CL. I can't wait.
Silly question - do they have corn flakes in the morning at CL? It's my favorite cold cereal.
Enjoying your TR, getting me in the spirit to also stop and smell the roses while I'm there. That is my goal, but you know we don't always do it once you get there and the excitement takes over.
9/1990 offsite, 10/1999 ASMu, 10/2001 ASMo. 9/2003 ASMo, 9/2004 Pop, 1/2005 Pop/AKL, 9/2005 Pop, 1/2006 Pop/ POFQ, 9/2006 POFQ 10/2006 CSR, 1/2007 Pop,9/2007 WL/BWV, 1/2008 POFQ, 8/2008 POP/CR, 1/2009 POFQ, 9/2009 Saratoga Springs, 1/2010 POFQ, 8/2010 POP/BCV, 1/2011 POR/POFQ, 8/2011 POP/BCV, 1/2012 POFQ, 8/2012 AKL/AKL CL, 1/2013 POFQ, 8/2013 YC, 1/2014 POP/POFQ, 8/2014 GF
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #505
jecskc
DIS Veteran

I keep trying to get DD to buy one of the princess outfits for her American Girl doll and she doesn't seem that interested. Which makes me sad, because I so want to buy one. I have a lot of the patterns for the dresses and outfits for the American Girl dolls and have made several. Fun stuff !!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #506
Yellowbellow
Pirate Veteran

I had a GREAT photo of a Giraffe with his tounge fully extended. If I knew how to post phots I would do so. You have a copy that I made.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #507
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post

Keep in mind that we had a cruise...just wasn't sure what I would need

Can you see my face getting green.....with envy that is!??! You're gonna be in FL and I'll be in....well.....I'll be in "the forbidden word"

Why are they closing Gasperillas??? We didn't get over that far to see if it was closed or not. I can assure you that if we do a park free trip in the future, I will NOT go near the MK....just not gonna happen.

How many days will yall be in FL???
I think they are or have closing Gasperillas because of construction. They are expanding seating area, and hopefully doing something with the arcade. Worlds worst design!!

We'll be in Ft. Lauderdale 8 nights, then AKL for 12 nights
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #508
Sue M
DIS Veteran

More great pics! Love the giraffes! Your kids are hilarious! Faith and that doll are so cute. Jesse the wanderer and Stephen is quite good getting pics!

I think they'll have to pry me out of the CL lounge it sounds wonderful.

My daughter (27) doesn't know we are staying CL. We split our stay, 6 nights pool view & 6 nights CL. She thinks it's all pool view, shhhhh. The other week I tried to alter and do a 5 & 7 split, but no availability guess I'll live
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #509
amandaw
DIS Veteran

I must say that I am truly impressed by the attention the CMs give the children at AKL. It's fantastic!

Those pictures are also fantastic! The giraffes are beautiful!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #510
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Guess I was thinking that if I saw MK it would ease my longing to go....HA! I was wrong...it did the exact opposite!!!!

I made that mistake uhhh twice Totally agree about not feeling the WDW withdrawals from AKL....it's a whole different world

And I love the TV pics with Jesse, at least when he runs off you can ask the CMs for the nearest TV

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: