Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #481
emma212010
DIS Veteran
 
emma212010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 1,194 miles from the Magic Kingdom
Posts: 1,161

Back to school already?? Wow! And congratulations Jesse on Kindergarten!

That is so scary about the flight cancellations! That rain was pretty bad! I hope they get in ok!

I love the smell of the Poly too!!!! It's so Disney for me!

We explored resorts our first day, and it was so hard going to the parks and not going in!
__________________
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR


Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
emma212010 is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #482
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,749

Heather: We love the Poly smell too...DH will tell me if he even remotely smells something tropically dampish he will say "Smell that??? Polynesian"

I would be sad also driving by the MK and NOT going in. That is cruel.
__________________
me and DH DD10, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #483
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 15,778

Sleeping kids are the cutest!

I've had the same, "Ahhh! We aren't staying in the MK resort area!" angst, too. It's happened twice while staying in the Epcot area. I think when you stay at AKL though, you feel so detached from the parks, that the 'angst' doesn't hit as hard as it does when you start seeing the monorail or Wishes in the distance or something MK-related. I suppose, too that having a cruise to look forward to after WDW is a good distraction

When's dinner?
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #484
hstrickland
DIS Veteran
 
hstrickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Way Down South...
Posts: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I'll be trying out OKW for the first time. Really looking forward to it. Went for the first time in December last year and just loved it, everything was so beautiful. And the weather was perfect to boot.

You should go, quick trips are such a nice getaway from real life.
I keep hearing really poisitve things about OKW, especially the space that the rooms offer. Can't wait to hear your perspective on the resort. You'll have a great time...it's Disney



Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Very nice pictures!

I can't get over all the construction at GF!

The Avengers monorail is so cool! Reid would love to see that. I wonder if they have already taken it off or if it will still be up when we go.
I have no idea about the monorail. But ya know, they kept Tron around for quite some time. Yall need to make a quick trip over to the GF just see everything...worth the time.



Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Sorry to hear you didnt get a chance to try out the Kitchen Sink. I have always read the best time to get a seat is right at opening

We are staying at BW in Dec and are hoping to get over there one day to try it...who knows if we will have any luck.
You're probably right...get there when it opens or even before. We went a couple of years ago but don't remember it being crowded at all. I wish we had done the Kitchen Sink then, but we were soooooo full that we couldn't put another bite in our mouths. At least you will be fairly close to B&C...if you can't get in one day, maybe you can try it again.



Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
Back to school already?? Wow! And congratulations Jesse on Kindergarten!

That is so scary about the flight cancellations! That rain was pretty bad! I hope they get in ok!

I love the smell of the Poly too!!!! It's so Disney for me!

We explored resorts our first day, and it was so hard going to the parks and not going in!
Seeing MK and Cinderella Castle and not going in was like a bad dream....it was right there but we couldn't touch it And yes the rain was terrible! I was actually surprised to see how many people were still at MK. I thought for sure the rain would have thinned out the crowds, but that didn't seem to be true.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Heather: We love the Poly smell too...DH will tell me if he even remotely smells something tropically dampish he will say "Smell that??? Polynesian"

I would be sad also driving by the MK and NOT going in. That is cruel.
Ha!!! Bill and I do the same thing!!! Glad we aren't the only ones.



Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I've had the same, "Ahhh! We aren't staying in the MK resort area!" angst, too. It's happened twice while staying in the Epcot area. I think when you stay at AKL though, you feel so detached from the parks, that the 'angst' doesn't hit as hard as it does when you start seeing the monorail or Wishes in the distance or something MK-related. I suppose, too that having a cruise to look forward to after WDW is a good distraction

When's dinner?
dinner will served at some point tomorrow, but I can't promise that it will be appetizing
__________________
2014 FW & WL CL Trip Report
Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground InformationThread

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
hstrickland is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #485
RGirl
DIS Veteran
 
RGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,575

Thanks for the little resort tour! I haven't seen pics of the construction at the GS before - very interesting! I can imagine it was so hard to be RIGHT THERE and not able to go into the MK.

Quote:
I know, I know!! Just do it! If we're in a villa, guess the counter service won't be a huge deal anyway. And we usually eat TS, so what the heck am I worried about, right?!
Well, you'll remember from my TR that I was truly disappointed in the lack of CS options. I mean, sometimes you just want to grab something quick and take it back to the room or something. That said, I would stay at the BW again in a heartbeat. The location was beyond amazing, and being able to walk along the boardwalk every morning and evening was really special.
RGirl is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #486
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate
 
DisneyDoc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 969

Oh man, I was all geeked about my BC ressie for October 2013, but the monorail resorts are like a drug, I just don't know if I can do it!!!! We had a TPV at the GF booked once, those pictures of the lobby reminded me. I am hoping to talk DH into the GR DVC, I have some time!

Love the pictures, we did that same torture of not going into the MK last spring break during our BB trip when we stayed at POR. Even though we dined at Ohana and Chef Mickey's, we rode the monorail, watched fireworks and movies at the Poly, but there is just something of a buzz around those 3 resorts!

I will try to stay caught up this week on DH's phone, but no internet at our cottage - torture! I paid in full today for our cruise - ouch, but yeh! Looking forward to the future updates. Have a great week at school!
__________________
DisneyDoc5 DS15 DS12 DD9
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDoc5 is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #487
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,749

[QUOTE=DisneyDoc5;45718324]Oh man, I was all geeked about my BC ressie for October 2013, but the monorail resorts are like a drug,

__________________
me and DH DD10, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #488
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate
 
DisneyDoc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 969

[QUOTE=jennyjinx3;45718340]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
Oh man, I was all geeked about my BC ressie for October 2013, but the monorail resorts are like a drug,

I see you are getting your 'fix' in about a month!
__________________
DisneyDoc5 DS15 DS12 DD9
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDoc5 is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #489
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,749

[QUOTE=DisneyDoc5;45718424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post

I see you are getting your 'fix' in about a month!
I know...it is starting to sink in now too! When your wait starts over 365 days ago, it is hard to believe it is coming soon.

Have fun at your cottage, I 'suffered' through no internet in June up North, not pretty but so nice at the same time.
__________________
me and DH DD10, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #490
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate
 
DisneyDoc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 969

[QUOTE=jennyjinx3;45718462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post

I know...it is starting to sink in now too! When your wait starts over 365 days ago, it is hard to believe it is coming soon.

Have fun at your cottage, I 'suffered' through no internet in June up North, not pretty but so nice at the same time.
I was trying to explain to Heather that we say 'up North' here - . Yes, no internet, but several Disney books loaded on my kindle and podcasts on my ipod - just a disboards withdrawl!

Enjoy your last 4 weeks of anticipation! Did you request a building at Poly? Have you tried other resorts?
__________________
DisneyDoc5 DS15 DS12 DD9
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDoc5 is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #491
Yellowbellow
Pirate Veteran
 
Yellowbellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 48

I wish we had counted the times we found Jesse in front of a TV.
Think I will look through the photos to see how many photos we have of him in fornt of a TV while at WDW.
__________________
CR - GF - WL CL - AsMo - AsMu - PolyCL - FW - AKL CL - Dream

Yellowbellow is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #492
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,749

[QUOTE=DisneyDoc5;45718508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post

I was trying to explain to Heather that we say 'up North' here - . Yes, no internet, but several Disney books loaded on my kindle and podcasts on my ipod - just a disboards withdrawl!

Enjoy your last 4 weeks of anticipation! Did you request a building at Poly? Have you tried other resorts?
We have requested Tokelau again, last year was our first stay at the Poly in Tokelau. 2010 was offsite, our first trip ever as a family...DH had been when he was 12, I had never been !! This is how I explain my obsession....missing out as a child!!
__________________
me and DH DD10, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #493
shan23877
I make lists about my lists
 
shan23877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,251

It would have been so hard to be that close to MK and have to pass it by. I feel for you guys.

Thanks for the tip about the AG outfits! That's gonna be a real necessity for us if we do take the AG plunge!
shan23877 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #494
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,457

9 pairs? You were busted!! I shouldn't laugh though, cause I haven't really begun to pack up the shoes

Exactly 1 week tomorrow we leave for Ft. Lauderdale it's been hot, hot, hot here so I'll be climatized for Florida, except we don't have the humidity factor on the west coast!

It's a good thing you were staying at AKL, if I weren't going to the parks, staying at an MK resort would be a special kind of torture. Couldn't do it!

I also love the smell at Poly, and BC too!!

So much GF construction. I think their CS Gasperillas will be closed during our trip, on MK days, sometimes we like eating there, I like the lobster salad! And daughter likes the lobster Mac & cheese!

Cool monorail pic!!

Getting very excited about our trip
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #495
hstrickland
DIS Veteran
 
hstrickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Way Down South...
Posts: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
Oh man, I was all geeked about my BC ressie for October 2013, but the monorail resorts are like a drug, I just don't know if I can do it!!!! We had a TPV at the GF booked once, those pictures of the lobby reminded me. I am hoping to talk DH into the GR DVC, I have some time!
Will the GF be ready by 2013?? If so....ya might want to give it a try Have you done CR, yet or is that the resort you aren't crazy about?? Can't remember....Why not a split stay?? Not sure I'm up to split stays...I hate packing and unpacking.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
Love the pictures, we did that same torture of not going into the MK last spring break during our BB trip when we stayed at POR. Even though we dined at Ohana and Chef Mickey's, we rode the monorail, watched fireworks and movies at the Poly, but there is just something of a buzz around those 3 resorts!

I will try to stay caught up this week on DH's phone, but no internet at our cottage - torture! I paid in full today for our cruise - ouch, but yeh! Looking forward to the future updates. Have a great week at school!
Hope you have a great time "up North"! Anything past Atlanta is up north for me...so basically y'all are like in the artic somewhere....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbellow View Post
I wish we had counted the times we found Jesse in front of a TV.
Think I will look through the photos to see how many photos we have of him in fornt of a TV while at WDW.
Let's make a mental note for the next trip....if we lose him, he's probably in front of a TV!



Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
It would have been so hard to be that close to MK and have to pass it by. I feel for you guys.

Thanks for the tip about the AG outfits! That's gonna be a real necessity for us if we do take the AG plunge!
My guess....if she doesn't get an AG doll this year, she'll get one soon after Did you check out Etsy?? They have some cute doll stuff.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
9 pairs? You were busted!! I shouldn't laugh though, cause I haven't really begun to pack up the shoes
Keep in mind that we had a cruise...just wasn't sure what I would need


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Exactly 1 week tomorrow we leave for Ft. Lauderdale it's been hot, hot, hot here so I'll be climatized for Florida, except we don't have the humidity factor on the west coast!
Can you see my face getting green.....with envy that is!??! You're gonna be in FL and I'll be in....well.....I'll be in "the forbidden word"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
It's a good thing you were staying at AKL, if I weren't going to the parks, staying at an MK resort would be a special kind of torture. Couldn't do it!

I also love the smell at Poly, and BC too!!

So much GF construction. I think their CS Gasperillas will be closed during our trip, on MK days, sometimes we like eating there, I like the lobster salad! And daughter likes the lobster Mac & cheese!

Cool monorail pic!!

Getting very excited about our trip
Why are they closing Gasperillas??? We didn't get over that far to see if it was closed or not. I can assure you that if we do a park free trip in the future, I will NOT go near the MK....just not gonna happen.

How many days will yall be in FL???
__________________
2014 FW & WL CL Trip Report
Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground InformationThread

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
hstrickland is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: