Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #166
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Yep...I agree with Ed. Go ahead and book CR
I actually agree with him, too. Of course, I won't tell him that. Reid & I are about to go run errands but when I get home I'm going to start pricing packages around our cruise in May.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #167
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Ok...sorry...couldn't do it...... today!!! The Spiderman movie with the kids kinda took precedence over the TR Was really good, by the way. Hopefully tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
Love all the CL pics! Just put a BC October 2013 on hold today, just in case!

Ok, we have to talk about putting salt and pepper in your oatmeal:. In case you haven't heard, oatmeal tastes really good with brown sugar, raisins, and many other things, you must try it the northern way!

Old Navy 40% off with online coupon today! Have a good one!
salt....NO pepper. I'm sure that still doesn't tempt your tummy, but that's how we do it. We add just a little salt when cooking. Then when it's done we'll add brown sugar, raisins, etc. Don't ya know the rules of cooking in the South...."a pinch of salt and a pound of butter" makes anything better I'm not sure that I could cook without those 2 ingredients

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I actually agree with him, too. Of course, I won't tell him that. Reid & I are about to go run errands but when I get home I'm going to start pricing packages around our cruise in May.
So what's the update?? Any closer to a decision?? I still haven't made my way over to your thread So much going on today that I could hardly breath.

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #168
rustytss
Old School Disney

Quit laying out by the pool and get another installment posted. At this rate, I am going to have to take over and you know you don't want me to do that because I won't use the right Disney lingo!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #169
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So what's the update?? Any closer to a decision??
Once I got our fridge & pantry restocked with food, I finally sat down & looked at some short packages around our stay. And I did find a few interesting things to consider.

1. We're looking at either doing 2 nights before the cruise or 1 before & 1 after. In pricing this out, it would be cheaper to do the 2nights before rather than the 1/1 split.

2. It only cost about $156/night to upgrade from the Garden Wing to the Tower (Bay Lake view) at Contemporary. Not as bad as what I thought it would be.

and

3. The difference between WL & CR is about $600.

I really want to stay at CR but the price for 2 nights still has me a little ! I love the location though. I still have a few more scenarios that I want to price out, too. But, I got sidetracked by changing up some ADRs so I'll have to do some more pricing out later.

Quote:
I still haven't made my way over to your thread So much going on today that I could hardly breath.
No worries! I understand how it is sometimes.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #170
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

I love the look of the CL...so pretty with the African theming.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #171
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #172
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytss View Post
Quit laying out by the pool and get another installment posted. At this rate, I am going to have to take over and you know you don't want me to do that because I won't use the right Disney lingo!

Heather must be out of sun screen and margaritas by now?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #173
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well... aren't you the comedian on the thread....ha ha ha...I'll have you know that I WAS NOT by the pool. was priority yesterday (great movie, by the way) And just for your information, I WILL be at the pool this afternoon basking in the sun's rays and carelessly floating around in the cool waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post

Don't encourage Stephanie's daunting comments...it will only get worse. And yes......the margarita glass runs low...send help immediately!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Once I got our fridge & pantry restocked with food, I finally sat down & looked at some short packages around our stay. And I did find a few interesting things to consider.

1. We're looking at either doing 2 nights before the cruise or 1 before & 1 after. In pricing this out, it would be cheaper to do the 2nights before rather than the 1/1 split.

2. It only cost about $156/night to upgrade from the Garden Wing to the Tower (Bay Lake view) at Contemporary. Not as bad as what I thought it would be.

and

3. The difference between WL & CR is about $600.

I really want to stay at CR but the price for 2 nights still has me a little ! I love the location though. I still have a few more scenarios that I want to price out, too. But, I got sidetracked by changing up some ADRs so I'll have to do some more pricing out later.

No worries! I understand how it is sometimes.
I didn't realize it would be that much more to stay at the CR?? Now you've raised my curiosity...I'll be checking out those prices this morning. And JMO, but I think it would be better to do 2 nights before or after instead of splitting up the nights. I'm sure a room discount will come out, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
I love the look of the CL...so pretty with the African theming.
It is really nice and we totally loved it (but the Poly still has the best view) I'm supposed to be talking about AKL...don't repeat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Wake up, Sue!!!! I'm almost done with the 2nd installment....promise!!!!!!

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #174
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't realize it would be that much more to stay at the CR?? Now you've raised my curiosity...I'll be checking out those prices this morning. And JMO, but I think it would be better to do 2 nights before or after instead of splitting up the nights. I'm sure a room discount will come out, too.
I'd definitely prefer to do 2 nights before the cruise. It will just depend on Ed's job & how things are going. They're pretty laid back & since it's consulting work, he can usually make his own hours. But, I'll have to talk to him about it some more. The little bit of time I was able to get him to talk about Disney last night, I used to talk about some ADRs for this year. Still need to go price out some other options, too.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #175
Lisa29
Mouseketeer

Great update. CL sounds really good.

We stayed at Kidani in October 2010 and there is something so quiet and calming about the place, it was really relaxing.

Can't wait for your next update.

Five Little Ones Take the Adults - My 15 night SSR stay with DDP trip report

My Grand Villa at Bay Lake Tower pictures are HERE and HERE

I have no ticker.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #176
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post

Margaritas...yum

Quote:
Well... aren't you the comedian on the thread....ha ha ha...I'll have you know that I WAS NOT by the pool. was priority yesterday (great movie, by the way) And just for your information, I WILL be at the pool this afternoon basking in the sun's rays and carelessly floating around in the cool waters

Don't encourage Stephanie's daunting comments...it will only get worse. And yes......the margarita glass runs low...send help immediately!!
There's a premixed gallon jug....sending it ASAP

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #177
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa29 View Post
Great update. CL sounds really good.

We stayed at Kidani in October 2010 and there is something so quiet and calming about the place, it was really relaxing.

Can't wait for your next update.
Kook....did you see Lisa's comment about Kidani??!!! There ya go...you can actually 'relax' at Disney When Bill reads "quiet and calming" he's gonna want to stay there. His biggest complaint (which really isn't a complaint) about our Disney vacations is that he's exhausted when he gets home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post

Margaritas...yum

There's a premixed gallon jug....sending it ASAP
Thanks, Pas...I knew you would have my back. I'll be waiting anxiously by the mailbox. Is it coming UPS or FedX???

Would you believe it, no pool time (and you be quiet, Rustytss (Stephanie)...I know what you're thinking!) We're having thunderstorms today. We're in desperate need of rain, so it's all good.

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
Old 07-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #178
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Kilimanjaro Club - Part 2

Kilimanjaro Club
Part 2

…let’s continue where we left off….

Vitafunio (Safari Snacks)
11:30am-3:00pm

“Take a mid—day break and enjoy a selection of African snacks and beverages.”

If I remember correctly, they always had several varieties of cookies…chocolate chip, sugar, and oatmeal raisin. They also had a delicious type of potato chip, chocolate covered pretzels and gummies (no picture…sorry) The small cooler always had milk, chocolate milk, and sodas. During the day, you can ask for beer and they will be happy to bring it to you.

One thing that the kids (and me) totally loved was this…..

From 11:30-4:00, they bring out the Wii Station. The games were located at the concierge desk, and they were more than helpful if you had problems getting started.

Next up…..

Chai (Afternoon Tea)
3:00-4:30pm

“Sit back and relax with imported teas, assorted freshly baked scones, cookies and biscuits. A daily must in Africa.”

If you’re still hungry….

Kisikusiku (Twilight Offereings)
5:00-7:00pm

“After an exciting safari, take pleasure in an array of wines, hors d’oeuvres, and savor African specialty appetizers from Boma and Jiko.”

While some menu items remain the same each night, several food choices will change. And as I said in an earlier post, if you are a huge eater, then you might not be able to make a meal from this. We found that if we had a big lunch, then we were ok at night.

Beer and wines are served each night as well as water, tea, and lemonade.

The hummus selections, pita chips and cheeses remained the same each night.

Wednesday Night Menu

*Sun-dried Tomato Hummus

*Black Olive Hummus

*White Bean Hummus

*Pita Chips

*Crisp baked bread

*Variety of vegetables (carrots, cucumbers, asparagus, cherry tomatos)

*Olives

*Cheeses (Blue, Manchego, Five Counties Cheddar, Tillamook Cheddar)

*Chilled Beet Soup…..mom liked this, but I didn’t try it.

*Spinach & Paneer Croquettes ….loved these!!!

*Chicken and Lentil Patties with Spiced Yogurt Sauce….just ok…nothing special

Thursday Night

*Sun-dried Tomato Hummus

*Black Olive Hummus

*White Bean Hummus

*Pita Chips

*Crisp baked bread

*Olives

*Lamb Patties with Tomato Jam…..just ok for me, but my parents ate lots!

*Crispy Corn Flour Coated Tofu with Boma Mustard…tofu doesn’t always sound appetizing, but I’m here to tell ya….DELICIOUS!!!

*Tabouleh Salad with Shaved Beef…..don’t remember…I was too busy eating the tofu.

Guess what?? No pictures!! I know they were made because I wrote down everything on the menu…who knows??!! Pops…what happened??? Perhaps I didn’t load them on my computer. Sorry…..won’t happen again….

Friday Night

*Sun-dried Tomato Hummus

*Black Olive Hummus

*White Bean Hummus

*Pita Chips

*Crisp baked bread

*Olives

*Edamame & Chickpea Salad with Ginger Poached Chicken……..don’t remember anyone talking about this

*Roasted Eggplant with Goat Cheese in Phyllo Cups…….good, but I’m not big on goat cheese

*Warm African Shrimp with Pearl Couscous and Corn chips…..very good!!

Moving right along….

Saturday Night

*Sun-dried Tomato Hummus

*Black Olive Hummus

*White Bean Hummus

*Pita Chips

*Crisp baked bread

*Olives

*Artichoke Salad with Spiced Shrimp…..very nice!

*Turkey Bobotie ……kinda bland

*Spinach & Paneer Cheese Samosas……..Loved it!!!!

The Kids’ Corner

Each night there was a small table located in the kids’ area that had a variety of child friendly items….(which from time to time I did sample) Not all items listed below will be out each night.

*Yogurt & Fruit Parfaits
*Carrot Sticks & Ranch Dressing
*Apples & Caramel
*Ham & Cheese Pinwheels
*PB&J Sandwiches
*Corndog Bites
*Miniature Pizza Slices

Last….but certainly not least (my favorite)…

Rehema (Evening Indulgences)
8:00-10:00pm

Revisit your day’s activities or plan for tomorrow while treating yourself to a sampling of fine desserts and a variety of premium cordials.”

Each night there is a sampling of desserts….each night will vary. I don’t remember the order …sorry.

Every night they offer…

*Crispy Rice Treats

*Brownies

*Chocolate Chip Cookies

*Sugar Cookies

Varying from night to night, the following will be offered:

*Lemon Meringue Tarts ….GREAT!!

*Blueberry Parfaits…..very good

*Banana Foster (or something like that…can’t remember) ….Excellent!!

*Peanut Butter Mousse…….GREAT!

*Chocolate –Cinnamon Mousse….Good

*Caramel Cheesecake……Delicious!!

Banana ????

Caramel Cheesecake

Cordials….

Final thoughts…..

The staff was extremely friendly. If we were in need of something, they were very accommodating. When food offerings started to dwindle, the staff replenished quickly. Something that I don’t remember from our Poly CL stay was the staff clearing guest tables. I’m not one to leave my plates, but several times when we were getting ready to go, we had the staff tell us not worry about the dishes. While eating, they would come by and clear the dirty utensils and plates….I almost felt guilty. Another kudos to the AKL staff…..sooooooooo very friendly!!! Most of the food was very good….I have no complaints in that area. Ya can’t expect to like everything, right?

I would totally stay CL again at AKL...can’t say enough about the quality of service we received while visiting!!!

Up next…..finally starting Day 2 with pool time & lunch at Sanaa!

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
Old 07-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #179
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Thank goodness for a rainy day - Stephanie, Sue and I were getting antsy

Excellent and thorough lounge food review! I find many favorable comparisons with The Old Faithful Club and I know DH would love the appetizer selection. I love that they replenish the food often and keep the lounge area neat and tidy, which can be a real challenge with some guests.

Yes, I saw Lisa's comment about Kidani and quiet appeals to us, however, you're really making AKL CL look good enough to change to. Was it crazy like the Poly or more sedate?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #180
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Those CL offerings...boy oh boy did those desserts look ammmmazing!

Its always interesting to hear how the different CL do things.

Cant wait to hear about Sanaa.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: