Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #136
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
You're right, it's not a 'must'. One of the reasons I decided to do it was because the price difference was minimal. We knew we were going to book an Arusha view and it was basically $25ish more a night....then there was the 30% off room discount....so it worked out perfectly. Not sure I would ever pay rack rate...
Yeah, I've heard that it can be more cost efficient at AKL to book CL rather than a Savannah view. And that's great that you got 30% off!

Quote:
I'm tellin' ya...I really think yall would be happy with the Garden Wing (isn't that what they call it??) especially if you can get the 1st floor. The rooms are much nicer than the WL (sorry Kook...I know you love WL) The pool and lake is right there by those rooms...just walk out your door and you're there.....just more food for thought...
I'm thinking you're right about the Garden Wing. And at least we would still get to find out how much we enjoy/utilize having the monorail at our disposable as well as a walking path to MK. You're talking me into a GV room!

Quote:
Funny....yep...don't ask the 4 year old! I think, though, that there are other rooms besides "princess". Come on', Amanda....let's do the research and find out...you ARE a planner
Yeah, they do have the regular rooms too at Port Orleans Riverside. I think I chose French Quarter because it seemed smaller. It's been so long since I started planning this trip and it's taken on so many changes that I can hardly remember why I chose some things. I guess I haven't been overly excited about resorts for this trip that I haven't really done much research on them. I've been buried in research about all sorts of other things we'll be trying for the 1st time: MNSSHP & lots of new ADRs, etc.

Quote:
Jecskc subbed to this thread yesterday and she has lots of pics of OKW...I think they bought a DVC there....check out her TR links.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check it out!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #137
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I'm thinking you're right about the Garden Wing. And at least we would still get to find out how much we enjoy/utilize having the monorail at our disposable as well as a walking path to MK. You're talking me into a GV room!

Yeah, they do have the regular rooms too at Port Orleans Riverside. I think I chose French Quarter because it seemed smaller. It's been so long since I started planning this trip and it's taken on so many changes that I can hardly remember why I chose some things. I guess I haven't been overly excited about resorts for this trip that I haven't really done much research on them. I've been buried in research about all sorts of other things we'll be trying for the 1st time: MNSSHP & lots of new ADRs, etc.
The pathway to MK is awesome...especially when you're tired at night and don't feel like waiting in those lines for buses or monorail. It's a quiet walk....kinda gives you time to unwind, and the view of the CR at night is really pretty.

MNSSHP will be lots of fun!! We closed the park down!!! The 2 little ones were asleep before we got out of MK! Make sure your son gets a good nap before you go

Are y'all dressing up?

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #138
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that it can be more cost efficient at AKL to book CL rather than a Savannah view. And that's great that you got 30% off!

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check it out!
I am not above a shameless bump of my TR. When you visit, take a second to say hello on my TR

Also, let me know if you have any OKW questions. I love to talk about Disney, so it is no bother
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #139
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think Contemporary will be my #1 choice. It just makes sense. WL would be 2nd even though I didn't love the rooms. But, the resort is very nice & still close to MK. But, I'm thinking a night or two at Contemporary would be a terrific way for us to try out the resort to see if it's worth it to us to spend all that money to stay there longer.
How about the WL refurbbed rooms??? The Garden wing too. Better price, location, same rooms, near the pool,

Quote:

It's ok, Pas....everyone at Disney knows you're insane....especially the cast members that you speak to on the phone daily Are you on a first name basis, yet?!
I'm the guest they are warned about in CRO training Some of the CMs remember me once they verify my email

Quote:

....Remember, my friend, patience is a virtue.........(that I don't possess)
Me either...patients I have, but not patience
Quote:
Kook, Pas, Padawans...they would be the experts. I just like to pretend
Not an expert...but workin on it...

JULY 25th...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I just got used to you being back on the Dis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbellow View Post
This is another 'Lurker' - aka the Patriach of the family or Pop. Just so you all know MaHopie & Pop are out there. I don't post much because Heather does not like my spelling.
Hi Pop and MaHopie....bland...NO WAY! Your personality shows in the pics and TR...not bland at all

Heather..your room view was incredible, an the CL lounge was perfect for kids, the TV there was ALWAYS on with cartoons when we were there!!! and so many activities at the resort!!! Ahhhh!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #140
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The pathway to MK is awesome...especially when you're tired at night and don't feel like waiting in those lines for buses or monorail. It's a quiet walk....kinda gives you time to unwind, and the view of the CR at night is really pretty.

MNSSHP will be lots of fun!! We closed the park down!!! The 2 little ones were asleep before we got out of MK! Make sure your son gets a good nap before you go

Are y'all dressing up?
That pathway to MK is what is really pulling me towards CR. Whether we do 1 or 2 days, it will probably be all MK so it would make sense to stay there.

That is such a sweet picture! I'm getting more & more excited to try out MNSSHP. We're going to it on Sunday, Sept. 30th which is also the day we switch resorts from POFQ to OKW. So, it'll be a very low-key day. I'm hoping Reid will take a nap so that he can fully enjoy the party that night.

We are all dressing! Reid is dressing up as Captain Hook (if you get a chance & want to see it, there's a picture of him in his costume in my PTR), I'm throwing together a costume for Ed to dress as Mr. Smee and my best friend is sewing a Wendy dress for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I am not above a shameless bump of my TR. When you visit, take a second to say hello on my TR

Also, let me know if you have any OKW questions. I love to talk about Disney, so it is no bother
Thank you so much! I may PM you with a couple of questions!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #141
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Great report so far. I want to see more CL offerings since I have never done this before.

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #142
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Not an expert...but workin on it...
Don't be shy....yes you are!

Quote:
We are all dressing! Reid is dressing up as Captain Hook (if you get a chance & want to see it, there's a picture of him in his costume in my PTR), I'm throwing together a costume for Ed to dress as Mr. Smee and my best friend is sewing a Wendy dress for me.
How cute!!!! I'll be jumping over and checking it out! LOTS of people dress up which makes it more fun....can't wait to read about your trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
Great report so far. I want to see more CL offerings since I have never done this before.
Thanks! CL pics will be up within the hour

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 07-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #143
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:

Thanks! CL pics will be up within the hour
Perfect, they should be up before I have to make dinner
Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #144
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

AKL CL Review

AKL Kilimanjaro Club
Part 1

As promised, let the CL review ensue …

Just a little refresher picture to remind you of lounge location….
6th Floor, Main Building -- 7:00 am - 10:00 pm

This following info should have been under my room review, but oh well….better late than never…it’s still part of the club level services.

Concierge level guests have the same room amenities as standard rooms, plus:

•There are approximately 74 club-level rooms and suites (I think)

•Robes available in your room

•Turndown service

•Staff available prior to and during your visit for reservations and vacation planning

•Access to the exclusive Kilimanjaro Club featuring Continental breakfast, snacks
and evening wine and cheese reception

•Ability to participate in the Sunrise Safari Breakfast Adventure — an exclusive early-morning tour of Kilimanjaro Safaris at the Animal Kingdom Park — additional fee - you must have park admission

•Ability to participate in the Wildlife Discovery Excursion — an exclusive guided tour of Kilimanjaro Safaris at the Animal Kingdom Park —additional fee – you must have park admission

•Ability to participate in the Wanyama Sunset Safari – an exclusive guided tour of the AKL savannahs, ending in AKL’s signature restaurant Jiko – additional fee

Now back to the lounge….

After you jump off the elevator, this is what you will be greeted with. If you walk out of the double doors, there is a nice view of the pool area.

When entering the lounge, the CL staff (2 people) will be sitting behind a long desk. This is where you do check-in, make ADRs, check-out movies, etc. (in the picture, it’s over to the left…you can see the lamp on their desk)

Notice the large space the lounge occupies…we never felt crowded, or got the feeling that people were walking all over each other. Well….except for one time, but that was because it was pouring rain outside...and thundering...and lightening….everyone fled to the lounge….completely understandable

The chairs were very comfortable…maybe TOO comfortable. We sat there for long periods of time just chatting and enjoying the food and atmosphere. In fact, one day there were 2 couples sitting at a table playing cards and drinking wine.

(you can see Pop enjoying his morning coffee and computer)

This is the kids’ corner…and it was literally in the corner, for good reason. There were ALWAYS coloring sheets and crayons on the table. And obviously Disney, Jr. played continuously on the TV. Since we were always early for breakfast, the children never had a problem getting a seat. I believe there were 4 stools with the table and a bigger chair or two over to the side of the kids’ area.

All food was served on this bar….always beautiful in presentation and neatly arranged. The staff was very quick to clean up any messes and replinished the food frequently.

(poor Faith…she was starving and I told her to step back….pictures first! )

Let’s continue with the breakfast offerings….

Macheo (Sunrise Offering)
6:30am - 7am

For our early risers…coffee and assorted juices. Pop loved one particular juice they had…forgot the name. Do you remember, Dad???

This is a great time to grab a table, a cup of coffee or cappuccino, the paper (which they have daily)…and relax. And don’t forget your laptop…if you’re like Pop, it was a great time to download and review pictures. Not many people (accept us) were up at 6:30am.

Miamko (Adventurous Awakenings)
7:00am - 10:30am

Start your adventure with an assortment of fresh fruits, juices, muffins, pastries, and cereals.

I believe they had fruit loops for children (and me). There was also oatmeal which needed lots of salt (if you’re from the South). Which by the way, you have to ask for salt and pepper. The staff was very accommodating…in fact one day there was no salt to be found, so the lady went downstairs to get some. Also, there was an African type of hot cereal called Quinoa (nature’s highest protein source….just a little FYI) I believe mom tried it, but wasn’t extremely impressed.

Check out this fruit! Is it not gorgeous??!!

The pastries were good, for the most part. The croissants were excellent! I would know…3 for breakfast each morning. Bagels were good…just a typical bagel....add cream cheese, butter, jelly.....sooooooooo much better Remember...you're on vacation so you can eat what you want!

Hot tea selection, jars of honey, flavored syrups and hot towels….didn’t try any of the teas. I’m more of a coffee person.

Coffee….by the way, very good. I remember the PolyCL having that NesCafe stuff which I didn’t like at ALL!

Bill really liked this contraption…otherwise known as the Espresso and Cappuccino machine. The instructions are on the top this appliance. I never attempted to try it for fear of a mishap…looked too complicated to me. By the way….you could get hot water here, also.

One of the reasons we chose CL….breakfast! It’s wonderful to be able to get up early, go to the lounge where there is no hustle n’ bustle or standing in lines to pay for food…sitting down in a quiet area with a great view…in very comfortable chairs….perfect way to start the morning!

And this is where we will end….for now.

Up next……Part 2 of CL Food & Pictures

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
Old 07-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #145
wdwtwins
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

Amazing update! I keep getting more and more jealous the more I see of the beautiful resort!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #146
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Great installment!

Hot-diggety hot towels?! I've not seen those at other CLs. Why do I love that that so much? Very Japanese. The fruit arrangement is so appetizing and I love the open, airy feel of the lounge which reminds me of WL. The CR has the same coffee pod machine and similar 'undulating' serving area. Do I need to change Kidani to AKL/CL? This is looking mighty fine and dandy
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #147
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Perfect, they should be up before I have to make dinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Hot-diggety hot towels?! I've not seen those at other CLs. Why do I love that that so much? Very Japanese. The fruit arrangement is so appetizing and I love the open, airy feel of the lounge which reminds me of WL. The CR has the same coffee pod machine and similar 'undulating' serving area. Do I need to change Kidani to AKL/CL? This is looking mighty fine and dandy
Glad I made it before dinner Ya know...the lobby area of AKL totally reminds me of WL....maybe not the decor, but the actual structure. I'm pretty sure the rooms are the exact same size, too. Do you need to change??? ...I dare not say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwtwins View Post
Amazing update! I keep getting more and more jealous the more I see of the beautiful resort!
Perhaps it's time for your family to venture off on another vacation It's a great place!!

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
Old 07-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #148
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Yum!

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #149
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

Great update!! CL looks fantastic and I'd love to stay at AKL - my best friend is an animal nut (especially giraffes) and I always thought when I take her to Disney (someday) I'll surprise her with a stay at AKL - she'd love it!

And I wouldn't call myself an expert Although getting to see the crowds go from super busy to dead to busy again was definitely a learning experience. And there's nothing like showing up to a MK, going on one ride (with no wait), watching the night parade and then leaving and feeling satisfied with your day!

If you have any CP questions please please don't be afraid to PM me! I love talking about it and I'd be happy to help in any way

DH Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* (TR Here!) DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: Our Disney Wedding & Honeymoon TR***Dining Review***Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #150
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Great review of AKL CL!

I love how spacious it looks up there. Much roomier than CL @ WL.

I'm seriously scheming on how I can get Ed to agree to try AKL.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: