Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
DisneyWitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice99 View Post
Delta has the WORST legroom of any airline I've ever been on!! This is a well known fact...... aside from that, they're as good as any other airline.

When I was pregnant, flying with my husband, the person in front of me reclined and I swear there was about 6 inches clearance between my pregnant belly and his seat.

I don't know if this has changed since then.
I travel a lot for work, so I agree with the previous poster's very accurate assessment of the airline industry: "a pretty lousy lot".

I laughed at the quote above, not because of her situation, but because I was in the same boat the last time I was on Delta. The guy in front of me reclined ALL THE WAY back (and then some, I think). I said to him, "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to sit up. If you recline any further, you're going to owe me dinner. "

My biggest complaint with Delta is that out of all the airlines I've used, they are the ones who I've had the most uncomfortable seats, missed flights, cancellations, delays, lost luggage and such - and ended up being one of the most troublesome of the "lousy lot". That just could be my luck, too...but be aware that any travel through Atlanta may cause issues.

No matter which airline you choose, the best we passengers can hope for is to get to our destination on time and in one piece and that our flight attendants are not having a bad day. My advice: Just keep your thoughts on what awaits you at the end of the flight!

DisneyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWitch View Post
I travel a lot for work, so I agree with the previous poster's very accurate assessment of the airline industry: "a pretty lousy lot".

I laughed at the quote above, not because of her situation, but because I was in the same boat the last time I was on Delta. The guy in front of me reclined ALL THE WAY back (and then some, I think). I said to him, "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to sit up. If you recline any further, you're going to owe me dinner. "

My biggest complaint with Delta is that out of all the airlines I've used, they are the ones who I've had the most uncomfortable seats, missed flights, cancellations, delays, lost luggage and such - and ended up being one of the most troublesome of the "lousy lot". That just could be my luck, too...but be aware that any travel through Atlanta may cause issues.

No matter which airline you choose, the best we passengers can hope for is to get to our destination on time and in one piece and that our flight attendants are not having a bad day. My advice: Just keep your thoughts on what awaits you at the end of the flight!
That's exactly how I feel. as long as I arrive alive and they don't lose my luggage I'm happy.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Highway in the Sky
Earning My Ears

I'm not a good flyer, scares the hell out of me and try not to fly if I don't have to. I try my best to restrict myself to just Air Canada and West Jet. On my upcoming trip I was coonsidering Delta, but a great deal popped up for AC and had to snag it.

So I did at least consider them, since they seem to have a pretty decent safety record....!
Highway in the Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway in the Sky View Post
I'm not a good flyer, scares the hell out of me and try not to fly if I don't have to. I try my best to restrict myself to just Air Canada and West Jet. On my upcoming trip I was coonsidering Delta, but a great deal popped up for AC and had to snag it.

So I did at least consider them, since they seem to have a pretty decent safety record....!
I really, really love Westjet not so wild about AC a much. But they were just too expensive this time. I'm flying with them for my b-day trip in Oct though
Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
OH 6
Earned my ears in 1990

It all depends on your expectations and then how well they're operating that day....oh and the weather.

I am biased - my partner works for Delta - has for 18 years...so we fly mostly Delta. They recently topped the other major carriers in LEAST lost luggage as reported by the DOT. They do their best to get you there with your bags. Odds of misconnects do happen with tight layovers/connections - so if you have a good amount of time between flights, you should be OK.

Staff is hit or miss - but you get that with any carrier. I find the inflight staff is nicer and makes an effort more than other major carriers. I fly internationally for work and don't think Delta's the top in International service for Europe or Asia - but they're by far NOT the worst.

Hope things work for you and you have a nice travel experience.

Booked:

DCL Magic - Canada - Sept 12 | DCL Fantasy - Dec 12 | DCL Magic - Venice - July 13 | DCL Magic - Mallorca - Aug 13

Completed:
DCL Wonder - Hawaii - Apl 12 | DCL Dream - Bahamas - Jan 12 + Nov 11 | DCL Magic - Med - Jun 11 | DCL Wonder - Panama Canal Repositioning - Jan 11 | DCL Magic - Northern Euro Caps - Jul 10 | Hong Kong DL May 10 | DCL Magic - B2B Christmas - Dec 09 | DCL Wonder - Bahamas - Jan 09 | DCL Magic - Mexican Riviera - Jun 08 | DL + DCA - May 08 | NYC - Lil Merm + LK - Mar 08 | DCL Magic - TransAtlantic - May 07 | DL + DCA - Apr+Nov 06 | WDW 999 Happy Haunts Event - 03 | DCL Magic - W. Carib - Sep 02 | DCL Wonder - Bahamas - Feb 02 | Disney Store Cast Member 98-03 - Atlanta | DL Paris - Apr 98 | DL - 95 | WDW College Program - Fall 90 - Polynesian Resort | WDW - Too many times to count - really!

DVC - 4 weeks - 640 Pts:
'07 - Saratoga Springs Resort
'09 - Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
'09 - The Villas at the Grand Californian (Disneyland)
{Happy to answer DVC questions}
OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

Love Delta!! I'll fly with them over Southwest any day!!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

We flew Delta for Gay Days this year. The round trip fare, total, for all 3 of us was $722. Fares on American and SW were $1400-$1500. Going to MCO we had to switch planes in Atlanta. Coming back they were going to send us to Detroit to switch.

A few months before the flight they switched the plane to a smaller model, so I called and screeched about it. I really wanted to come home through Atlanta, so I figured I would see if they would change us. Nope. So I called back and spoke to a really sweet guy who DID switch us to come home through Atlanta AND the flight didn't leave Orlando at 8 AM like the first one.

I do not like to change planes, but for an $800 difference in fare? Yeah. I will switch planes. We arrived both at WDW and back home with all of our luggage.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH 6 View Post
It all depends on your expectations and then how well they're operating that day....oh and the weather.

I am biased - my partner works for Delta - has for 18 years...so we fly mostly Delta. They recently topped the other major carriers in LEAST lost luggage as reported by the DOT. They do their best to get you there with your bags. Odds of misconnects do happen with tight layovers/connections - so if you have a good amount of time between flights, you should be OK.

Staff is hit or miss - but you get that with any carrier. I find the inflight staff is nicer and makes an effort more than other major carriers. I fly internationally for work and don't think Delta's the top in International service for Europe or Asia - but they're by far NOT the worst.

Hope things work for you and you have a nice travel experience.
My layover in Minneapolis is just over 2 hrs and my detroit layover on the way home is just over an hour. So hopefully that's enough time to ensure my bags will be coming along with me.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post
Delta is one of the legacy airlines - been around a very long time. They are my preferred carrier - the least-bad of a pretty lousy lot.
Pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpreece View Post
My friend isn't used to the abruptness and lack of niceties (for lack of a better term) that we as North Americans are. .
Seriously...and they're French? I've flown Delta and Air France, numerous times and honestly, AF has better food, but the FA are a bit...haughty.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Pretty much sums it up.

Seriously...and they're French? I've flown Delta and Air France, numerous times and honestly, AF has better food, but the FA are a bit...haughty.
I know I said that to him when he told me about his times on Delta. Oh well my layovers are decent times so hopefully everything will go smoothly.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

I've only flown Delta once, but we didn't have any problems. Yes, their seats are pretty cramped and even at 5'3" my legs were hitting the seat in front of me, but we got there on time with all our stuff. We were flying San Diego to Orlando on a red-eye in late spring so there weren't any weather issues to deal with. We switched in Charlotte, had about a 1 1/2 hour layover each time.

Good luck! I think you'll be fine.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #27
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
My layover in Minneapolis is just over 2 hrs and my detroit layover on the way home is just over an hour. So hopefully that's enough time to ensure my bags will be coming along with me.
That will be plenty of time. You'll probably be glad you have 2 hours in MSP since, at least in the 3-4 times I've flown through there, its a messy place to get around. DTW is a nice new terminal and easy to find your way from one gate to another.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #28
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
That will be plenty of time. You'll probably be glad you have 2 hours in MSP since, at least in the 3-4 times I've flown through there, its a messy place to get around. DTW is a nice new terminal and easy to find your way from one gate to another.
And unlike in the city, the monorail is useful and actually takes you somewhere.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
I know I said that to him when he told me about his times on Delta. Oh well my layovers are decent times so hopefully everything will go smoothly.
Delta is an American carrier, so definitely inferior.

I love listening to the French insist, their art is better, than the Italians. And, the Germans claim superiority, over everyone. So, Americans are at the bottom of the food chain, except when it comes to SUVs. It's just the way it goes.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
downontheBW

DIS Veteran

I don't see any real difference between Delta and other legacy carriers. The smallest seat I ever had was on American; haven't flown them since.

We fly to the west coast every year with Delta and usually end up in Minneapolis or Detroit and both airports are fine. Actually DTW is my favorite; beats Ohare

Had luggage delayed a day when returning from Key West two years ago but probably would happen on any airline; I think the issue was with Key West.

Heidi

downontheBW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: