Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

how bad is Delta???

For my next trip in August I got a really cheap flight with Delta, I have a layover in Minneapolis on the way down (makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever) and a layover in Detroit on the way home (not as absurd). So how bad is delta I usually fly Air Canada or Westjet but the delta flight was over $200 cheaper. I've only flown Airtran as far as American Carriers goes. I hope i can find the Earl of Sandwich in the Detroit airport So how bad is Delta???
Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
alice99
DIS Veteran

Delta has the WORST legroom of any airline I've ever been on!! This is a well known fact...... aside from that, they're as good as any other airline.

When I was pregnant, flying with my husband, the person in front of me reclined and I swear there was about 6 inches clearance between my pregnant belly and his seat.

I don't know if this has changed since then.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Last edited by alice99; 07-02-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typos!
alice99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpreece View Post
For my next trip in August I got a really cheap flight with Delta, I have a layover in Minneapolis on the way down (makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever) and a layover in Detroit on the way home (not as absurd). So how bad is delta I usually fly Air Canada or Westjet but the delta flight was over $200 cheaper. I've only flown Airtran as far as American Carriers goes. I hope i can find the Earl of Sandwich in the Detroit airport So how bad is Delta???
Delta is one of the legacy airlines - been around a very long time. They are my preferred carrier - the least-bad of a pretty lousy lot.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
bookmama
Mouseketeer

eh it's alright. Seats are a little small we were all over the place between two rows. They give you 15 minutes of free wifi on each flight but after that. For tall people like my son, it wasn't enough room. otherwise, well you know.

Look my 1st Ever TR. How we survived Tropical Storm Debbie
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....kip+the+lotion
bookmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Floristmom
Earning My Ears

I only fly Delta but I am from MN. It has the only direct flights to some places that I need to go! I really hate layovers, I have had way to many problems with them on other airlines.
Floristmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
utterrandomness
Mouseketeer

I can almost guarantee it'll be better than flying Air Canada. They might even get you there on time. (Sorry if this seems biased, Air Canada has left me stranded, unapologetically, numerous times, in numerous airports.)
utterrandomness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post
Delta is one of the legacy airlines - been around a very long time. They are my preferred carrier - the least-bad of a pretty lousy lot.
HAHAHA yeah flying anyways with anyone really isn't fun at all.

I find it ridiculous though that I have to connect in Minneapolis considering it's way outta the way to go to Florida. I could've chosen ATL but it would've gotten me ther at 11:51 and then after 1am to wdw.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by utterrandomness View Post
I can almost guarantee it'll be better than flying Air Canada. They might even get you there on time. (Sorry if this seems biased, Air Canada has left me stranded, unapologetically, numerous times, in numerous airports.)
The only times I've been delayed with AC was on my first trip to WDW it's was a blizzard and we waited forever to be de-iced. And coming home from Paris they were late arriving so we were late leaving Paris.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

Why would you automatically assume it's bad? It's the same as pretty much every other airline out there...

Flying sucks, but it is what it is.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley0139 View Post
Why would you automatically assume it's bad? It's the same as pretty much every other airline out there...

Flying sucks, but it is what it is.
Because my best friend who lives in France has to fly Delta when he visits because they're partnered with Air France and he tells me how awful they are.

Last edited by glenpreece; 07-02-2012 at 09:44 PM.
glenpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
kathie859
DIS Veteran

I'm a Delta frequent flyer and any problem I've ever had (I.e., a rude gate agent or misinformation from a phone rep) have been dealt with by the customer service people at the airport and via an apology via email. I've flown CVG-CDG (Paris) via Delta and if you pay an extra $60 you can get a larger seat with more legroom and more reclining. I don't get the issue with the poster whose friend thought that the CDG flight was bad.

Tomorrow morning I'm flying home from Long Beach via Salt Lake City, Atlanta THEN home! The direct flights are outrageous in price (regardless of carrier) but this puddle jumping is the cheaper way to go.

Welcome to flying in the 21st century. There's fewer flights and the glamour of air travel is a thing of the past.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
I'm a Delta frequent flyer and any problem I've ever had (I.e., a rude gate agent or misinformation from a phone rep) have been dealt with by the customer service people at the airport and via an apology via email. I've flown CVG-CDG (Paris) via Delta and if you pay an extra $60 you can get a larger seat with more legroom and more reclining. I don't get the issue with the poster whose friend thought that the CDG flight was bad.

Tomorrow morning I'm flying home from Long Beach via Salt Lake City, Atlanta THEN home! The direct flights are outrageous in price (regardless of carrier) but this puddle jumping is the cheaper way to go.

Welcome to flying in the 21st century. There's fewer flights and the glamour of air travel is a thing of the past.
My friend isn't used to the abruptness and lack of niceties (for lack of a better term) that we as North Americans are. The fact that we have stores that are open on Sundays and 24hrs is astonishing to him. I just wondered if his complaints as well as others I've read online we're accurate or if it just a matter of not being used to how things are done in America. That's all. I am just so looking forward to this trip and going to a different resort since I'm not staying at Pop again.

Last edited by glenpreece; 07-03-2012 at 07:25 AM.
glenpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #13
firstcruise
Mouseketeer

I would spend $200 more to fly another carrier than Delta. They are by far the worst carrier around and that is no joke. Get to whatever airport you are flying early as they have a history of having staff dissapear from the counter when they can bump you.

Lost luggage? Delta has to hold the record for this. Everyone I know who has flown Delta they've lost their luggage.

Don't want to make you worry, but there are better choices than Delta in my book. I will never fly them again and made that statement 7 years ago and never have. Even paid more to fly another carrier and would do it every time.
firstcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcruise
They are by far the worst carrier around and that is no joke.

Lost luggage? Delta has to hold the record for this. Everyone I know who has flown Delta they've lost their luggage.
You should really avoid stating opinions as facts. Delta has never once lost my luggage, and in my family's experience, USAir is a thousand times worse. USAir defrauded us out of a round-trip ticket when a family emergency required us to change plans. They are also the only airline that has ever lost my luggage.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #15
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpreece View Post
I can only recall flying Delta once and it was earlier this year. (Yes I know Delta is the major airline out of DTW, but that doesn't mean best prices or flight times.) I can't say as though I had any issue with them. It seemed to take twice as long to load the plane. Any other issues with that trip were 100% attributable to the airport and TSA.

As for Earl of Sandwich, you will not be so lucky unless you have an extremely long layover. Earl of Sandwich is in the North Terminal. Delta monopolizes the new McNamara Terminal.

There is a shuttle that will take you between terminals, but it takes 10-15 for the ride alone, plus you'd need to go through TSA to get your snack (if they'd let you with a boarding pass to the other building). Then back through TSA at McNamara.

Better off to double up at DTD.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: