DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #31
dort
Mouseketeer

I was at BWV from 10/12 to 10/16 and the wifi was awful .
dort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #32
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

They ask about it on the surveys I've taken after our recent BCV/BLT stay. It was better at BCV than at BLT, but I did complain.
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #33
dort
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
They ask about it on the surveys I've taken after our recent BCV/BLT stay. It was better at BCV than at BLT, but I did complain.
I did a survery last week too after our stay and that was the only thing I had issues with during our stay and stated that in the survey.

I'm glad the only thing I needed internet for was airline check in and ended up doing that on our phones.
dort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #34
Cee
DIS Veteran

We were at BCV 9/28-10/5/12 and the wifi was awful. Never would "connect".

I'm sure eventually all will work more efficiently.
Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #35
lasob
Earning My Ears

Was at BWV from 10-21 10-26 and the WiFi was basically unusable. We were near the center green, fifth floor BW view and I got on at many different times, mid day and as late as 2 a.m. It made no difference. It took literally a full minute to load one email that had minor graphics. The weird part was that my WiFi icon showed five bars all the time. And I would go from one page to another and was taken to the user agreement page and I had to check the box to proceed. I must have clicked that page 50 times in five days.

I was here last Oct. on the first day of the new WiFi (in fact I was the first to report wireless on this board) and it was blazing.

I have been to hotels that charged for internet so I hunt around for signals and they have been faster and more reliable than this. It was sketchy everywhere I tried to access wireless all over the world. Decent some places...

I did also complain and responded to the survey, so we can only hope.
lasob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #36
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToDisney
BAD...BAD...BAD internet connection during our last trip. The WIFI is so overused by all the other electronic devices that can use free WIFI that it is too busy for the rest of us that need a steady connection to work from our laptop. I miss the wired connection, too. I could wire in my Airport Express and have my own reliable, safe WIFI. Disney's wireless is worse than ANYthing I have ever experienced. I'm considering a smart phone purchase with the hotspot option on it for the weeks I will be at Disney so I can work. What a pain!
Interested to see why you think plugging your own wireless router into a hardwire connection is safe? If you do not have some sort of encryption on your traffic (VPN, etc), you are essentially just making an indentical connection as a wired one but now its wireless. Anyone who connects through hardwire in another room could run tools to capture that data as it all flows back through the wire. It doest magically skip that infrastructure now that you put a wireless device in the middle.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #37
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
Interested to see why you think plugging your own wireless router into a hardwire connection is safe? If you do not have some sort of encryption on your traffic (VPN, etc), you are essentially just making an indentical connection as a wired one but now its wireless. Anyone who connects through hardwire in another room could run tools to capture that data as it all flows back through the wire. It doest magically skip that infrastructure now that you put a wireless device in the middle.
Reports are that the hardwire connections are dead. They were operated by a different contractor, and that agreement has expired. Disney is just wireless now.

Before wireless was installed, I always used the hardwire with my router.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #38
CRobin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123

All wireless routers have internal firewalls that prevent outside traffic from getting to your connected PC. You just need to turn it on to block all traffic except your Internet connection. Also turn off file & print sharing when connecting to ANY public (I.e. Disney) network.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #39
kaulds
Earning My Ears

I am all packed and ready to leave tomorrow, I guess I'll have to remove my router out of my suitcase. I usually keep it in my owners locker but brought it home last trip. Wow that really stinks.
kaulds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #40
sueg

DIS Veteran

Just checked out of BWV and wifi was terrible the whole time. I had work to do and the wifi kept cutting out. Our room, 2095, was at the end of the hallway if location makes a difference.
We had great success with our Airport Express for prior trips and wish they had not eliminated that option.
I'm sorry but I have always thought that Disney has no commitment to good internet access because they want you in the parks spending money. Wake up Disney...the ability to do some work on vacation allows longer trips and more $$ to spend!
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #41
dcfromva

Disney Fan

We were at BWV std view 4th floor room near the lobby from 17-21 Oct.

DH brought a laptop along for work, but he couldn't get connected. My iPad was intermittent--sometimes it would hang up and I would have to switch the wifi off and use the 3G connection instead.

We didn't realize the wired connection was disconnected, so we went to guest services to a get a cable for DH's laptop. (By now, I suppose they are getting tired of telling people its been disconnected. ) Anyway, they said some folks have had luck connecting to the internet by sitting over by the fireplace in the lobby. We looked over and there were a couple of folks balancing laptops on their laps over by the fireplace.

I didn't run any speed checks. DH just couldn't get in and I didn't think about it with my iPad.
dcfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #42
pixiechick
will work for disney dollars
I was just thinking about smelling the cat's behind

We complained in August because the service was so bad. We were lucky though, we were above Big River and we frequently used their wifi.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #43
palhockeymomof2
DIS Veteran

I guess we were lucky during our stay 10/24-10/28 we had a 2 br standard view forget the room numbers but about 1/2 way down the hallway....had no problem with our iPads and laptops.loging in and staying connected...my friends husband did quite a bit of work on his...I asked him about the connection since I'd read there were problems and he at one point had his work website opened and two banks....doing a payroll transfer and had no issues
palhockeymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #44
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRobin

All wireless routers have internal firewalls that prevent outside traffic from getting to your connected PC. You just need to turn it on to block all traffic except your Internet connection. Also turn off file & print sharing when connecting to ANY public (I.e. Disney) network.

Yes, blocking traffic TO your device but the traffic you are initiating exits the router onto the wire. Unencrypted traffic can be captured rather easily on the wire. I wouldn't care about getting onto your laptop when I can see your passwords and other data crossing the network.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #45
CRobin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123

Yes, blocking traffic TO your device but the traffic you are initiating exits the router onto the wire. Unencrypted traffic can be captured rather easily on the wire. I wouldn't care about getting onto your laptop when I can see your passwords and other data crossing the network.
I can guaranty you that you cannot read outbound traffic from my PC if I am connecting to a trusted site. Your scenario is true if someone connects to a site they THINK is legitimate, but IP Traffic across the wire is secure assuming you are using http or https, and have set your network to "Public Network".

Last edited by CRobin; 11-06-2012 at 07:33 AM.
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: