Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Physics Guy
Mouseketeer

From DL on check out morning, a packed TR

In my mind thinking about what to say, this is going to be way too long. I’ll do my best to keep this short and to the interesting points and spare everyone all the minutia. I'll try and focus on some of the more frequent questions I've seen asked on the DL boards as well.

It was my birthday and anniversary this trip so wearing both pins certainly got me lots of attention and greetings from CM and other guests all over. Not used to it, but it was fun.

We had photopass+ so it was nice to get our pictures taken everywhere, get all the ride photos and character meal photos (including a nice set of prints at the meals) and not worry about any of it. Going to be a big task to go through them/edit them all when we get home.

Was able to use our DVC discount at many of the restaurants and Disney Visa discount at the shops.

Arrived Friday 6/29, spent the evening in DP, got to ride some of the more popular attractions to get them ridden before the weekend daytime crowds. Dinner at Blue Bayou. We had reservations, but they said to get waterside would be 45 minute wait so we said don’t worry about, we’ll take first available. 10 minutes later we got waterside table for 8. Nice. Nice atmosphere. My wife is a vegan and can’t have oil either (doctor’s orders for medical reasons, not her choice, a very tough diet to accommodate) and the chef had called us last month to tell us they’re expecting us and will take care of us. Sure enough, Chef Amy came out and went over with my wife the detailed options and she loved the meal. It was fun to wave at all the boats of POTC riders going by; the kids had a great time.

Goofy’s Kitchen breakfast (Sat 6/30): LOTS of food, including many lunch items, which was strange. We were the first family there at 7, so we were done before we got to see many of the characters I think (saw Goofy, Snow White and Baloo). Overall, it was pretty much an eat and run. Lots of food options, but nothing memorable.

I and my middle DD9 ran ahead of the rest of the family to get in line for RSR FP. WOW! When you see that line it’s overwhelming. It was well past Carthay Circle restaurant almost up to the giant Hollywood street wall painting. It was a challenge just to get the end, the line grows almost faster than you can walk down it! The family came shortly thereafter and handed me their passes and went onto ToT. The line went pretty fast and I had the fast passes within 20 minutes for 3:40-4:40. No worries there. Also got 3 bonus FP for 6 people for Grizzly Rapids. Spent the day there then back to DL to swim before dinner.

Dinner off site at Farrell’s in Brea about 20 minutes away. I grew up on Long Island near one and it was my favorite place as a kid. If you have a chance, it’s a MUST see. Especially if you have a birthday. I can’t do it justice here, just see some of the other threads. The line to get in is about as long as any Disney rides so MAKE RESERVATIONS if you go.

After dinner back to DCA to use our RSR FP. We got there just before the park closed and the line was pretty long. They said as long as you’re in line before the park closes you’ll get to ride. We got to the ride about 30-40 minutes later. Fun ride, but I don’t think I’d wait 2 hours for it as many do. Animatronics are pretty impressive.

Sunday breakfast at Plaza Inn. Minnie and Friends. Can we say FRIENDS! There were more characters there than anywhere I’ve ever seen, even in WDW. If I can remember them all: Minnie, Tigger, Pooh, Eeyore, Captain Hook, Chip, Dale, Fairy Godmother, Suzy (mouse from Cinderella). It was great how often they came by and interacted with each other. At one point Eeyore was standing outside pressing his nose against the window glass of the door like we was locked out, just standing there. Captain Hook happened to walk around the corner behind him and doubled over pointing and laughing at him and how sad he looked. Then the Captain tiptoed back away and left him there. It was a hoot the whole morning, probably the best character meal we’ve ever had, including many at WDW. In addition, the chef came out to my wife, told her they were expecting her and had prepared a FEAST. JUST FOR HER. They brought out a ton of food, all vegan (and no oil), she was so happy! From there I was able to steal away for Space Mountain fast passes and back to breakfast.

The funniest comment from my DD12 was when my DD6 asked where Mickey was said to her “This is Minnie and Friends, Mickey and Minnie are MORE than friends”.

Spent the rest of the day there. Back to the hotel for some rest. Then Carthay Circle Theater restaurant for WOC dinner. Strangely the least accommodating for my wife’s diet despite being the newest. The food was outstanding for the rest of us in any case, albeit a bit small on the portions.
Got our FP for WOC and headed over (10:15 show). The CM seemed to have NO CLUE as to where the Carthay section was and kept sending us back and forth to various areas who sent us back to the same areas and so on several times. One “manager” kept trying to put is in the picnic line. I started to lose my patience (first time ever at any Disney park) until one person who had worked WOC for a number of weeks knew what to do. He said a lot of the other CM (sadly, including the “management” suit coats with walkie talkies) were new and weren’t sure of the layouts. Anyway got a GREAT spot in the reserved area, no issues at all seeing every part of the show, and it was a great show. Definitely worth a look.

I’m typing this from the DH while my wife and kids gets ready to check out. The saddest time at Disney is check out day. If you read this far, well kudos, I don’t know that I could read a trip report this long. Any questions?
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
3inthefamily
Mouseketeer

Great report.

Also a former LI girl..from Kings Park. Farrells sounds SO familiar and looking at the website I recognize it but don't remember where it was. Can you jog my memory? I could swear I had a birthday party there...I remember sparklers in ice cream.

We have not been to DL and our first trip is next month! Any tips? We are DVC as well...staying at Grand Californian then using points at Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego.

Thanks!
May 2009 - POR Riverside
Bought BLT DVC September 2009
November 2009 - BLT
April 2010 - Vero Beach
September 2010 - BLT/MNSSHP
November 2011- SSR
April 2012 - Disney Dream
August 2012 - GCV Disneyland
November 2012 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside/MNSSHP
3inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Physics Guy
Mouseketeer

The Farrell's I went to was in the Sunrise Mall in Massapequa. I don't know if there were others, but birthdays were a huge spectacular there (and still are).

As far as tips, they're all right here. I learned so much from these boards. Luckily for DL there is primarily the one Disneyland forum so you can try and get all the info from there.

I guess my best tip, at least for me and my family, was to plan as detailed as you can in advance, and then be ready to change it all up based on the day and the mood of the family. But being prepared and informed was great in knowing where to go, when to go and how to adjust on a moments notice. Every time there was a kink in the plan, like Space Mountain going down for an extended delay, the family looked to me as the DL expert as to where to go next, and I always had the answer. It helped everything go smoothly and there was no down time or feeling lost.

Have fun!
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Great trip report
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: