Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
pgowder
DIS Veteran

Woodside Farms 4th of July by Paul Gowder, on Flickr

This was in the neighborhood last night.
pgowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
Luv2Scrap
The only way is if you have the Gypsy
Y'all are going to get me in so much trouble with my supervisor!
The new baby was much more interactive

I'm so excited to have something to contribute to this year's fireworks thread!

I found a new spot to shoot from and I've been waiting months to try it out! Turns out it's about the most perfect spot there is - with the exception of the million spiders we had to battle for territory all night (seriously, they were on my head, hands, camera, everywhere!! ) But it was worth it to get shots like this, and we will definitely go back next year!

ISO 100, F11, Bulb mode with a cable release - 2-4 seconds as a general rule, but I did go for longer exposures whenever possible to properly expose the lift bridge. I practiced with just the bridge before the show started and knew it needed at least a 15-second exposure to really get the bridge to show up, so I thought I was going to be out of luck... but then I realized there were enough pauses that I could just keep it open during the lulls and get (most of) the exposure I needed.

7-4-12 Independence Day 149 by jch70592, on Flickr

7-4-12 Independence Day 148 by jch70592, on Flickr

7-4-12 Independence Day 142 by jch70592, on Flickr

7-4-12 Independence Day 078 by jch70592, on Flickr

7-4-12 Independence Day 071 by jch70592, on Flickr

7-4-12 Independence Day 049 by jch70592, on Flickr
Nov '09 Pop - free dining
Aug '10 CSR - Free dining and BCV for our first DVC trip home!
Jan '12 CSR - Free dining
Luv2Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Just some pictures of our neighbors lighting of some fireworks last night

4th of July by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

4th of July by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Scrap View Post
I'm so excited to have something to contribute to this year's fireworks thread!

I found a new spot to shoot from and I've been waiting months to try it out! Turns out it's about the most perfect spot there is - with the exception of the million spiders we had to battle for territory all night (seriously, they were on my head, hands, camera, everywhere!! ) But it was worth it to get shots like this, and we will definitely go back next year!

ISO 100, F11, Bulb mode with a cable release - 2-4 seconds as a general rule, but I did go for longer exposures whenever possible to properly expose the lift bridge. I practiced with just the bridge before the show started and knew it needed at least a 15-second exposure to really get the bridge to show up, so I thought I was going to be out of luck... but then I realized there were enough pauses that I could just keep it open during the lulls and get (most of) the exposure I needed.
Those are some unbelievably awesome shots

I was lucky enough to skate on a frozen Lake Superior sorta around the area where you took those pictures back in 07. Have a buddy who is from there and was such a surreal experience for me coming from Florida lol

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
Luv2Scrap
The only way is if you have the Gypsy
Y'all are going to get me in so much trouble with my supervisor!
The new baby was much more interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman View Post
Those are some unbelievably awesome shots

I was lucky enough to skate on a frozen Lake Superior sorta around the area where you took those pictures back in 07. Have a buddy who is from there and was such a surreal experience for me coming from Florida lol
Thanks!! Yes, I can image how weird that must have been for you!
Nov '09 Pop - free dining
Aug '10 CSR - Free dining and BCV for our first DVC trip home!
Jan '12 CSR - Free dining
Luv2Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

I went to a great location south of Boston to view the fireworks. The fireworks were delayed by about 1/2 an hour because of passing showers. I didn't get any rain all night. So I did some practice shots as some backyard fireworks going off. I got a few decent shots of those. Then right before the fireworks in Boston were to start a huge cloud cover floated over the city and I couldn't even see the buildings. Luckily less than half way through the display the cloud cover lifted, but because of what happened I screwed up my focus and all my shots are slighting out of focus. I was about 8 miles south and had to use my 300mm lens. It was dark and not much to focus on when the cloud cover moved in.

This is what I got:

One of my "practice shots"

I had a great view, only wish I got my focus right... GRRRRRRR

Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post
I had a great view, only wish I got my focus right... GRRRRRRR
I can empathize —look what happened to all of mine! Every single shot from last night night looks like this:

One Little Mistake ... by Scott S. Baxter, on Flickr

Bleah!

SSB
Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #23
Mr.MouseFan
Is a line cutter
The TF knows who you are!
Performs random acts of kindness

Here are some of mine. This is the first time out with the new camera so I tried different settings throughout the show. Definitely pleased with the results.

ISO 100 f/18 exp. 8 sec.

ISO 100 f/20 exp. 6 sec.

ISO 100 f/18 exp. 8 sec.

ISO 100 f/18 exp. 8 sec.

ISO 100 f/18 exp. 8 sec.

ISO 100 f/18 exp. 6 sec.

ISO 100 f/18 exp. 9 sec.

ISO 100 f/18 exp. 6 sec.

ISO 100 f/18 exp. 4 sec.

ISO 100 f/18 exp. 11 sec.
'11 Port Orleans Riverside
'12 Art of Animation
'07 '09 '14 - Disneyland
Mr.MouseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Luv2Scrap, I am suitably impressed!! Your photos are beautiful!

Did you use your ND filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post
I can empathize —look what happened to all of mine! Every single shot from last night night looks like this:

One Little Mistake ... by Scott S. Baxter, on Flickr

Bleah!

SSB
Do you know what went wrong when you were focusing? At the risk of sounding very selfish, I'm wondering if you could share something that will prevent me (and other first timers to fireworks photography) from making the same mistake or failing to spot the error. The focusing is the one area that I am not 100% happy that I have a good understanding of
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #25
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Do you know what went wrong when you were focusing? At the risk of sounding very selfish, I'm wondering if you could share something that will prevent me (and other first timers to fireworks photography) from making the same mistake or failing to spot the error. The focusing is the one area that I am not 100% happy that I have a good understanding of
Sure — I realized that morning that the step-ring I have for my ND filter wasn't the right size for the lens I wanted to use. I didn't have time to get the right size, so I used blue painter's tape to attach the filter to the back side of my lens hood. That actually worked okay, as far as it goes. But when I attached the hood to the lens, I messed up the focus. The filter was too dark for auto-focus to work (at least at night), so I had flipped over to manual focus. Despite my best efforts at keeping the focus set the same, I was unsuccessful.

SSB
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #26
1Grumpy9
DIS Veteran

I took my camera out on Wednesday to Hersheypark for their fireworks display. This was my first time shooting with an ND filter, and a remote...so this was my practice. I can say I am happy with my pictures. Not overly thrilled...I think because there was no WOW factor with the fireworks. Here are some of them:

And the Finale was good, but we were standing in the line of the smoke and all of the fireworks opened up at the same spot, so I got a big black cloud in the middle of the fireworks...LOL

We Can't Be Stuck on the Stairs Again TR
1Grumpy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer

Nice shots, everyone. Luv2Scrap - your hard work really paid off with a great set of images.

Thanks to the tips I've picked up here, and a renewed determination to figure out how to get a fireworks photograph (after failing miserably at Epcot in May), I managed to get some decent shots last night. It was my first time trying a Neutral Density 2-stop filter for fireworks. The venue was Camden Harbor in Maine.

Both of these images were taken at ISO 200, f/11, bulb with remote shutter release, at 34mm using a Canon 5DMIII with the 16-35mm f/2.8 lens.

Exposure for the first is 20 seconds, and 13 seconds for the second.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzasmd View Post
Thanks to the tips I've picked up here, and a renewed determination to figure out how to get a fireworks photograph (after failing miserably at Epcot in May), I managed to get some decent shots last night.
Those are beyond "decent"! Very nice that you got the "blue hour" light; it elevates the images beyond what I've typically seen. Is that because you're so far north, or did they just shoot them off a little earlier in the evening?

SSB
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
pgowder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzasmd View Post
Nice shots, everyone. Luv2Scrap - your hard work really paid off with a great set of images.

Thanks to the tips I've picked up here, and a renewed determination to figure out how to get a fireworks photograph (after failing miserably at Epcot in May), I managed to get some decent shots last night. It was my first time trying a Neutral Density 2-stop filter for fireworks. The venue was Camden Harbor in Maine.

Both of these images were taken at ISO 200, f/11, bulb with remote shutter release, at 34mm using a Canon 5DMIII with the 16-35mm f/2.8 lens.

Exposure for the first is 20 seconds, and 13 seconds for the second.

Love the blue hour light!
pgowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #30
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer

Thanks. Yes, the Blue Hour effect helps a lot. The sun set at 8:22pm and Civil Twilight started at 8:58pm. They started the fireworks just after 9:00pm. We were fogged out the night before.

Funny - I just started Kent Weakley's night photography class, and the first lesson was on calculating Blue Hour.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: