DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Crew-JTA
Romans 8:28

What happens when the membership expires?

So, I know the resorts that expire in 2042 are less expensive per point (looking at resale), but what happens when 2042 rolls around? Is it worth it to get one of the newer resorts instead?

Tamara
Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew-JTA View Post
So, I know the resorts that expire in 2042 are less expensive per point (looking at resale), but what happens when 2042 rolls around? Is it worth it to get one of the newer resorts instead?

Tamara
Once they expire, 31 Jan, 2042 for some, those members and resorts cease to be part of the club. Disney can do as they wish with those resorts and DVC members in general will have no right to access. As to the value of an expiring resort, it depends. From a $$ standpoint it's simply a mathematical comparison to other resorts. OKW is likely the best example where an extension has been offered and accepted (by a few). They will be required to keep all, or at least a portion, of the resort open until 2057. Those owners who signed their rights over to DVD for 2042 and beyond, will cease to be a member of the Club then. While there are fewer OKW 2057 contracts for sale than 2042, the price difference is unlikely to hold up to the cost of the extension. Ultimately I'd say decide what resorts you prefer to own at, how you'll use the club and what your tolerance is for having to stay at the resort you own most trips. That exercise should help you figure out the best value that will fit your needs and comfort level. So far the shorter remaining term has not made those resorts a value compared to other choices. comparing SSR to OKW 2042, SSR seems to be a better value simply for points and club access in that the price difference isn't that great. If you think of it in terms of an extension, the difference of 2054 for SSR and 2042 for OKW is around $5 a point (less if you try) and the OKW extension was $15 a point at it's cheapest to get to 2057.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

I have never worried about the expiration issue because in 2042 I will be 81 and I have no idea if my children will want it.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

I am not worrying. We will be in our 60s when our contract expires and if as the expiration date gets closer we know we still want to be members, we will buy another contract with a later end date. I have trouble planning 5 years out so for me, I need to get a little closer to the end to be able to make a decision
WsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If I am still alive, I will be looking at my 92nd birthday a few months later. Unless they DO turn OKW into retirement village, I won't be worrying about it.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

I'm not worried about the end date, I'll by 80+ when OKW & BWV end and if I'm still able to go I'll hobble around SSR.

If I last till SSR expires, it will be all good.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran

I am always amused when people say they don't care (not worried) about the end, it's kind of like saying you aren't worried if you lose a few points here and there. I wonder how many of those would say the same about their home or any other investment. The reality is that there will be some inherent value (or lack of) based on the situations involved in such a discussion. that value is likely to be somewhere in the $5-15 a point range depending on specifics (extensions, how they handle the last 2-3 years, etc) but it could be even more.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
SpaceMountain77
Kidani Villager & Victorian Gentleman

While this post may seem morbid, I do believe it is important to be realistic.

I think one must consider both his/her own "end date" as well as the contract end date. In other words, how old will you be when the contract expires? If one is going to be in their 70s-90s when the 2042 contract expires, then I do not see a concern with the contract expiration. Moreover, unless you are planning to leave it to your children or grandchildren, it is not an issue. For me, I bought a shorter contract because I do not have a family member who would want it.

Actually, the Bay Lake Tower contract end date amuses me. In 2060, I will be well into my 80s and Disney's Contemporary Resort will be 89 years old! How "contemporary" do you think that resort will be after 89 years? It may very well become Disney's Retro Resort :-)
SpaceMountain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Caren90
DIS Veteran

I will be "pushing up daisies" at the EPCOT Flower and Garden show when my contracts expire.

Stephen
Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #10
Crew-JTA
Romans 8:28

Ok. I love all these "morbid" posts! I hope I'm not "pushing up daisies" by the end of the contract, since I'll only be in my late 60s, but I can't think of a better place than EPCOT! But seriously, it seems that I'll have to weigh the benefit of an initially less expensive contract at a resort that I really want with the 11 month advantage, with the initially higher expense of "property" with a longer shelf life that you still pay for every year in dues/taxes. Whew! Such good problems to have :-)
Thank you, friends, for all your help.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I am always amused when people say they don't care (not worried) about the end, it's kind of like saying you aren't worried if you lose a few points here and there. I wonder how many of those would say the same about their home or any other investment. The reality is that there will be some inherent value (or lack of) based on the situations involved in such a discussion. that value is likely to be somewhere in the $5-15 a point range depending on specifics (extensions, how they handle the last 2-3 years, etc) but it could be even more.
I am glad you find it amusing, but I am actually glad for the expiration date. In 2042, if they didn't expire, these DVC timeshares could be an albatross on the owners, high MF's and unsellable. I don't want to be in my eighties trying to dump a timeshare I don't even use anymore and am paying high MF's for.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOORE185 View Post
I am glad you find it amusing, but I am actually glad for the expiration date. In 2042, if they didn't expire, these DVC timeshares could be an albatross on the owners, high MF's and unsellable. I don't want to be in my eighties trying to dump a timeshare I don't even use anymore and am paying high MF's for.
Charles, it's the "I'll be old or gone so I don't care" that I refer to. Apparently you care but don't think DVC would have value enough to justify the risk to those following after. That's a valid position.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I "don't care" because while there should probably be some value left in the contract it won't do me any good. I bought SSR fully expecting not to be able to use the contract all the way to its end date.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
I am not worrying. We will be in our 60s when our contract expires and if as the expiration date gets closer we know we still want to be members, we will buy another contract with a later end date. I have trouble planning 5 years out so for me, I need to get a little closer to the end to be able to make a decision
Start worrying! We are in our 60's and nowhere near wanting to give up our DVC yet! Actually, we'll be in our mid 90's (God willing) when 2042 rolls around, so we aren't worried about it.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
I "don't care" because while there should probably be some value left in the contract it won't do me any good. I bought SSR fully expecting not to be able to use the contract all the way to its end date.
I can see the view and think it's very common, but why post if you feel that way unless you simply want to denigrate those who do want to discuss it. In addition, why be passionate about DVC now and "not care" later.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: