Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Freshwater Oasis Now Open!!!

They just announced it on Facebook!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
bas71873
DIS Veteran

YAY!!! I just saw that too. So excited. Can't wait 'til August 17th!!

Portifino Bay - June, 2015; [/COLOR]Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
cinderellamom123
Mouseketeer

Yipeeeeee1!
cinderellamom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
SevrenLuna
Disney is my first memory!

OHHH! Yes. This looks amazing. I am planing a trip for my 30th. I want to make DC the Bday event. It looks like it is worth the cost for sure.

SevrenLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Woo hoo!!!!!

Now THAT news makes me a happy girl!

Lots of time between now and our August 29th visit for them to get all the kinks worked out, too

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

I'm so excited!! I'm picking my DD up from Sea World camp tomorrow (Saturday) and we are heading right to DC. I'll report back, hopefully with some photos.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
KristenHoneymooner
Mouseketeer

I'm sooooo excited!!!

I can't wait to hear the first reports and see some pictures!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

I would be excited too but I was one of those who thought a late May booking was safe for the spring opening they advertised until the week after we were there. We flew from Seattle thinking we would see it but came away disappointed. This was our 3rd time at Discovery Cove and we really enjoyed the new reef (but very crowded) but it was way too hot for the lazy river so we actually left early afternoon. We had closed the park in our previous trips. I love Discovery Cove, just wish they would have been more realistic with there opening date......it was obvious when we were there that they weren't close but they were still advertising the spring opening. Enough of my whining, I guess we will just have to go back 1 more time!
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLowe View Post
I'm so excited!! I'm picking my DD up from Sea World camp tomorrow (Saturday) and we are heading right to DC. I'll report back, hopefully with some photos.
Please do!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
folgersnyourcup
Earning My Ears

I just found this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYO2TCGME3k

Looks great!
folgersnyourcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
shouts
Earning My Ears

It was okay - best about it was a chance to get away from the crowd at the reef, but mostly to just try to find the shy marmosets and watch the otters. Nothing else to see.
shouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouts View Post
It was okay - best about it was a chance to get away from the crowd at the reef, but mostly to just try to find the shy marmosets and watch the otters. Nothing else to see.
I'll post some photos later but I have to agree with this post. Nice to see the marmosets and river otters (go early in the day to see the otters playing), but it is really just a smaller version of the "lazy" river. I was hoping for fresh water fish but the water is chlorinated so there aren't any fish in it; was hoping it would be another snorkeling area but the only reason to have your snorkel is to go under water to view the otters when they are swimming. It was a nice way to get away from the crowds; the water was cooler than the river, which was quite hot; and the water seating area near the snack bar was nice. But, not reason enough to visit DC. I think they hyped it more than it was worth, which is disappointing. They could have done much more with it. To me, the current marine reef is less inviting than the original reef - fewer deep places to enjoy plus the rays are overwhelming and don't allow you to enjoy diving down - so I was hoping for something really nice for the fresh water area.

They make a point of frequently bringing a marmoset to visit - you can't touch it though - and we got to put fish in the feeding tube for the otters, but it isn't the huge attraction I was hoping it would be.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

It sounds nice but a bit disappointing
Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Call me crazy, but I like the relaxing, low-key sound of the new freshwater oasis. I am wondering, too, if it will be a better experience after the animals grow more accustomed to both their new surroundings and the "intruders" who will be spending time among them.

For the PP who visited, its is a pretty shady area? Would it be a good place to get out of the sun on a scortching kind of day? (that's what it sounded like from the original description)

Are there photographers in this area, as there are in the aviary and lazy river?

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
anonymouscactus
Earning My Ears

I don't think the new area is a reason in itself to visit Discovery Cove, even if you have been there before; I feel it's a nice enhancement to what you are really going there for / all of the previous experiences. But, in my opinion, it is just that... an "enhancement" -- I think many will be expecting a lot more from the Freshwater Oasis (especially considering the concept art), and will walk away disappointed. They will spend 5 minutes looking at the otters, and another 5-10 minutes trying to find a marmoset swimming around the island, and then go on their marry way.

That said... Discovery Cove is amazing, and there is so much more to see and do there, and the pricing has not changed with this addition. Essentially this will allow them to offer a higher park capacity, therefore bring them more $$$ while keeping our cost and crowds the same now that people are spread out more.

Last edited by anonymouscactus; 07-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.
anonymouscactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: