DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
nicolepdonnelly
DIS Veteran

Upgraded on Cruise?

Has anyone used points to book a cruise and got an upgrade? Do you think they upgrade DVC people or only folks paying cash?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepdonnelly View Post
Has anyone used points to book a cruise and got an upgrade? Do you think they upgrade DVC people or only folks paying cash?
I have used points to book a cruise (had a wonderful time) but I did not ask and DCL did not offer an upgrade. After spending many months reading about cruises on this website, I figured that it would cost some cash and I did not want to pay cash. Also, I questioned their ability to provide me with something better (besides the 'big' rooms), we already had two adjoining rooms with port windows.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
SCDizneyDawn
DIS Veteran

I have cruised on points 6 times and two times I booked two cabins. Wehave never been upgraded.
SCDizneyDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

You may want to ask this over on the DCL subforum.

Basically, the answer is there is no rhyme or reason to a pixie-dust (cash-free upgrade). If your cruise has lots of extra cabins available, a few people will get some, most will not. They are completely random.

On my last cruise, there was a family in my FE group that booked multiple rooms on points as a gift to their kids who were honeymooning. The parents got a pixie dust upgrade since they had specifically asked to be anywhere on the ship other than next to their newlywed kids, and DCL assigned them the stateroom next door originally so they were upgraded to a higher category on another deck (they had only asked for the same category, anywhere other than next to the honeymooners).

I have read reports of DVC members who booked on points and were able to do a at-port stateroom upgrade for cash, just like people who book with cash (ie the 2 category upgrade should cost $1000, but you can get it at the port for $500 if there are upgrades available).
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
nicolepdonnelly
DIS Veteran

I was just changing around some shore excursions and noticed my stateroom number was different from what I've had written down. Called member services and they called DCL. Looks like an upgrade to a verandah room from a oceanview room same deck. MS cautioned me that it is possible that DCL may change it back, but highly unlikely and they cannot change it to something lower than we originally booked. We'll see, I've got 6 weeks or so to go!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
I was just changing around some shore excursions and noticed my stateroom number was different from what I've had written down. Called member services and they called DCL. Looks like an upgrade to a verandah room from a oceanview room same deck. MS cautioned me that it is possible that DCL may change it back, but highly unlikely and they cannot change it to something lower than we originally booked. We'll see, I've got 6 weeks or so to go!
Good luck keeping the upgarde!!! We just booked a disney cruise, 2 connecting verandah rooms on a lower deck. Hoping but don't think well get moved to a higher deck. I love cruising with a verandah, once you do it youll never come back!
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
C&Apriputin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco View Post
Good luck keeping the upgarde!!! We just booked a disney cruise, 2 connecting verandah rooms on a lower deck. Hoping but don't think well get moved to a higher deck. I love cruising with a verandah, once you do it youll never come back!
we went on our first cruise ever... Alaska on the Wonder... and I agree about the verandah -- we had a navigator's version and it was wonderful -- next cruise will be the same choice!!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
I sure hope you get to keep it!

We've booked most of our DCL cruises with cash. We book 3 rooms, 2 connection for DS's family. The last time THEY were upgraded to 2 connecting OVIR just across from where they were originally. That was a nice deal for them!

We're on the August 10 th Dream Cruise.

Bobbi
Old 06-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
nicolepdonnelly
DIS Veteran

Oh Wow Bobbiwoz we will just miss you! Enjoy your cruise and tell Mickey when you see him that we will be there soon
Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

DW and I were comp/upgraded on a Wonder cruise back in '04. We booked on points an inside room and were upgraded to an ocean-view room.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

I upgraded on my recent cruise at the terminal it was $490 to go from a 9 to a 7a .

I plan to book the cheapest room with points and upgrade at the terminal cash in the future .

The free upgrades they just do it for you sometime before you get to the terminal ?

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
nicolepdonnelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I upgraded on my recent cruise at the terminal it was $490 to go from a 9 to a 7a .

I plan to book the cheapest room with points and upgrade at the terminal cash in the future .

The free upgrades they just do it for you sometime before you get to the terminal ?
I guess- I had read about some but didn't know if only folks paying cash get them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: