Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #196
pumpkinkate
Mouseketeer

Location: Arizona (2012), Idaho (2007-2012),Washington (1980-2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith70592
We made the decision tonight to book on the Oct 12th cruise out of Galveston. Myself, DW & DS are from Lafayette,LA... We're all very excited as it's our second cruise. DS13 loved the edge on the Dream last time and is hoping there will be other "dude's" to hang with.. lol
I'd like to be apart of the Facebook group
Did we get you in the fb group?
pumpkinkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #197
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

Hi there, excited to join the group!

We just returned today from a 8 night cruise on the Magic, the last one from Galveston for her (the TA sails tonight). Couldn't wait too long to join the fun again.

We booked this cruise to celebrate as both of our son's have birthdays on the cruise.

Would love to join the FE list:

Beaglefan Room# 7560
DH (Kevin) - me
DW (Liz)
DS (Kevin, Jr. turns 5 onboard)
DS (Sean, turns 4 onboard)

Counting down the days!
beaglefan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #198
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

Let me add my two cents for being a Houston native:

Taxis are expensive, so the best bet in getting from the airport is Disney transportation, a car service, rental car with one-way drop off, etc.

Also, I have stayed for business at the Marriott airport hotel IAH, and it is NOT up to Marriott standards. If you have flexibility, I would not stay near the airport, not a great area, and not much to do. Very industrial, not a lot of places to eat, etc.

I would make the effort to get down to Galveston that night, you would enjoy a relaxing and easy commute the next morning and reduce the stress to start your cruise.

CC 5K:

With regards to the 5K, we just ran it this week on CC and it was nice. They had water 4 times along the route, so even thought it was way too hot it was nice to say you did it and to burn some calories. They have a cheap "winner" medal they pass out (same one you get for winning Pub Trivia, etc), but we splurged on the $25 t-shirt that was nicely done at the shop next to the start/finish line. Some people ran it, others pushed strollers and walked the entire way.

What they won't tell you - if you have kids, they open the kids club on CC early enough that you can drop them off and still make it to the starting line in time for the race. The Navigators showed that the race began at 9a, and the Club opened at 9a. I even called Customer Service the night before and they said the same thing. When I went to the meeting spot on the ship, however, they clearly said the Club would be open for us to drop off the kiddos (confirming prior reports on this board) and mom and I both ran it!

5 months seems so far away! It has been 5 hours since we left the Disney Magic and I already miss it.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #199
lucky1
Face Character

BeagleFan thanks for the information about Houston. I am hoping to take DCL transportation from the airport, if we can get a decent flight into IAH. Too Bad SWA does not fly into there.

Does anyone know if DCL will transport you the day before to post to a hotel there, if you book air on your own. I know if you book air through DCL, they may book you at the Marriot or down in Galveston.

Even though you said the Marriott was not that nice, I have a room booked there just in case. Just seems that much easier.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #200
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

Is anyone else planning on going to Atlantis for the day when at Nassau?

I have always wanted to go, but the prices are outrageous. Reading the boards, it seems like a way to save some $$ with just a little extra effort is booking a room at the Comfort Suites hotel. Per hotel room you get 4 wrist bands/admissions to most of Atlantis.

They have a great deal now for $159++, total of $232. This would allow me to get 2 adults and 2 kids into Atlantis. I believe the shore excursion via Disney is $160/adult and $110/child, so over a 50% savings. The only additional charge by doing it on your own is taxi fare of $4/pp.

Has anyone successfully done this before that is going on this cruise? Seems like plenty of others on the board have, so I thought I would share and get any tips/advise.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #201
kpkm23
Earning My Ears

HMMM, I dont know what to do. We booked the marriott IAH as well despite bad reviews as we arrive late. Now im wondering if we should drive down to Galveston that night.
kpkm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #202
Smith70592
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinkate View Post
Did we get you in the fb group?
Not yet, but I would like to be...
Smith70592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #203
DoanGalveston
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglefan View Post
Is anyone else planning on going to Atlantis for the day when at Nassau?

I have always wanted to go, but the prices are outrageous. Reading the boards, it seems like a way to save some $$ with just a little extra effort is booking a room at the Comfort Suites hotel. Per hotel room you get 4 wrist bands/admissions to most of Atlantis.

They have a great deal now for $159++, total of $232. This would allow me to get 2 adults and 2 kids into Atlantis. I believe the shore excursion via Disney is $160/adult and $110/child, so over a 50% savings. The only additional charge by doing it on your own is taxi fare of $4/pp.

Has anyone successfully done this before that is going on this cruise? Seems like plenty of others on the board have, so I thought I would share and get any tips/advise.

Thanks!
We would love to join you! We were looking at doing the Atlantis excursion too. When you guys decide, please PM us as well.
DoanGalveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #204
lucky1
Face Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkm23 View Post
HMMM, I dont know what to do. We booked the marriott IAH as well despite bad reviews as we arrive late. Now im wondering if we should drive down to Galveston that night.

I am still holding my Marriott IAH reservation for $118/night. (Try corperate weekend rates) The reviews don't look that bad. Once we figure out or flights and transportation then will decide what to do with rooms. Hoping to have flight done by End of the Month.

Does anyone have a recommendation for Hobby Hotel?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #205
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
I am still holding my Marriott IAH reservation for $118/night. (Try corperate weekend rates) The reviews don't look that bad. Once we figure out or flights and transportation then will decide what to do with rooms. Hoping to have flight done by End of the Month.

Does anyone have a recommendation for Hobby Hotel?
Four Points by Sheraton near Hobby is one of the better ones, though I will advise that Hobby too is not in a great neighborhood.

If you wanted a nice Houston area, The Galleria is a nice area, with many nice hotels (including a JW Marriott with a $139/night rate), a large shopping mall, gobs of restaurants, etc.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #206
lucky1
Face Character

Quote:
Four Points by Sheraton near Hobby is one of the better ones, though I will advise that Hobby too is not in a great neighborhood.

If you wanted a nice Houston area, The Galleria is a nice area, with many nice hotels (including a JW Marriott with a $139/night rate), a large shopping mall, gobs of restaurants, etc.
Airports are generally not in the nicest parts of towns. I think my biggest concern with flying into Hobby is getting decent transportation back up from the port. Should be easy right? Still working on flights.

Can't wait for the trip. Haven't figured out what we will do at each port.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #207
goiu
Mouseketeer

We are flying into IAH and staying at the Hilton airport. Does anyone know if there's a liquor store nearby? We've love to pick up something before getting on the DCL bus the next day.

Thanks!
goiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #208
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goiu View Post
We are flying into IAH and staying at the Hilton airport. Does anyone know if there's a liquor store nearby? We've love to pick up something before getting on the DCL bus the next day.

Thanks!
The best place by the airport is JFK Liquors: http://jfkliquor.com

The best stores in Houston for price and selection is Spec's, and there is one in Galveston. They are not too close to the airport, about 15 minutes.

Cheers!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #209
pumpkinkate
Mouseketeer

Location: Arizona (2012), Idaho (2007-2012),Washington (1980-2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith70592

Not yet, but I would like to be...
You came pm me your email addy or friend request me on fb Kate Mickley
pumpkinkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #210
goiu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The best place by the airport is JFK Liquors: http://jfkliquor.com

The best stores in Houston for price and selection is Spec's, and there is one in Galveston. They are not too close to the airport, about 15 minutes.

Cheers!
Is it within walking distance of the Hilton?

Thanks for all your help!
goiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5k run, castaway cay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: