Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #2791
JillyBean1899
Shiny

So I took the plunge and signed up for WW online. As I understand it, fruits and veggies are pretty much free-for-all within decent portion limits, but what about condiments? How do you calculate if you use salad dressing? I have no way to measure out a "service" at school, they just give you one of those clear plastic condiment cups with it. I don't even know what brand dressing, if it's low fat, or what. Also, I tend to eat sugar-free hard candy during the day, as it helps keep me from eating more stuff, so how do you track stuff you just graze on like that?

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #2792
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
So I took the plunge and signed up for WW online. As I understand it, fruits and veggies are pretty much free-for-all within decent portion limits, but what about condiments? How do you calculate if you use salad dressing? I have no way to measure out a "service" at school, they just give you one of those clear plastic condiment cups with it. I don't even know what brand dressing, if it's low fat, or what. Also, I tend to eat sugar-free hard candy during the day, as it helps keep me from eating more stuff, so how do you track stuff you just graze on like that?
Have you thought about packing in your own dressing? That way you can calculate the points and better control the portion.

As for the Sugar free candy, you should be able to figure the points. I would suggest you figure out haw many points a day you can allow, and then portion it out. I often use the snack size ziplock bags to do this and portion them out when I purchase a package of something. Then I write the point value on the bag for ease of tracking.

Just a quick comment on the snacks. I have found over the past year on the program that when I increase my power foods, I tend to need fewer snacks to keep me from over eating. Changing my granola bar for a piece of fruit, or my crackers for carrot sticks has worked really well. Or even a 4 pt portion of nuts. These foods really stay with me longer, and I don't really crave another snack. Also drinking a glass of water when I think I am hungry has often proven to me that I was really thirsty. So remember to drink your water.

Good luck. I am sure you will figure out what works best for your body.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #2793
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseheidi View Post
Have you thought about packing in your own dressing? That way you can calculate the points and better control the portion.

As for the Sugar free candy, you should be able to figure the points. I would suggest you figure out haw many points a day you can allow, and then portion it out. I often use the snack size ziplock bags to do this and portion them out when I purchase a package of something. Then I write the point value on the bag for ease of tracking.

Just a quick comment on the snacks. I have found over the past year on the program that when I increase my power foods, I tend to need fewer snacks to keep me from over eating. Changing my granola bar for a piece of fruit, or my crackers for carrot sticks has worked really well. Or even a 4 pt portion of nuts. These foods really stay with me longer, and I don't really crave another snack. Also drinking a glass of water when I think I am hungry has often proven to me that I was really thirsty. So remember to drink your water.

I've thought about it, but the problem is I don't know where to order individual packets from. I suppose Sam's Club might have them, but they'd probably be in a box of 500 or something obscene that I'd never go through. And it seems silly to carry a lunchbox and ice pack to school just for a small container of salad dressing.

I like your idea of the snack size ziplocs with points values written on them. May have to go stock up on ziplocs once the county unclenches from the 0.07" (yes, less than one tenth of an inch) of freezing rain/sleet that we got Wed morning.

I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #2794
ski_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've thought about it, but the problem is I don't know where to order individual packets from. I suppose Sam's Club might have them, but they'd probably be in a box of 500 or something obscene that I'd never go through. And it seems silly to carry a lunchbox and ice pack to school just for a small container of salad dressing.

I like your idea of the snack size ziplocs with points values written on them. May have to go stock up on ziplocs once the county unclenches from the 0.07" (yes, less than one tenth of an inch) of freezing rain/sleet that we got Wed morning.
I love these little packets:

http://hendricksons.com/?page_id=5

I called their number and asked for anyone in my area that carried their products. I called around and found one that carried the little packets. They run about 25 cents each but I do have to buy them in a box of 100. I usually split it with my sister, so it's not so bad.

I have also ordered some from Amazon in the past and they have a few choices that might work for you:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sa...vidual%20packs

I'm not very good with links, so hopefully these will work.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #2795
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_mom View Post
I love these little packets:

I called their number and asked for anyone in my area that carried their products. I called around and found one that carried the little packets. They run about 25 cents each but I do have to buy them in a box of 100. I usually split it with my sister, so it's not so bad.

I have also ordered some from Amazon in the past and they have a few choices that might work for you.
Never even thought about Amazon. (insert ::forehead smack:: smiley that doesn't exist here) Can't wait to see what my granddad thinks of a box of salad dressing arriving at the house.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #2796
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseheidi View Post

I agree about the power foods, though for me and DH we call them nourishing foods instead. The stuff that really works for your body; that nourishes it and keeps you full.

But jilly, that's something for you to work out in time. No hurry. For now the sugar free candy works; in time you might find that the sweetness of it might work differently and you'll want to change things up.

DH found that bringing fruits and veggies and really good lunches and snacks kept him away from the candy and vending machines. If he ate something sweet other than an apple, it would trigger him. But that's him. You'll figure out how YOU work.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #2797
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

Joining in here, joined January 4th, and down 11.2 lbs, I weigh in on Saturdays, which I really like. I am needing to lose about 75-80 lbs, but doing small goals for myself. I am doing a Disney cruise in April(10 weeks away), I wanted to lose 25 by then, so 13.8 to go. I can do it, I know!!! Glad I found you all!!!
Trips: 2005-1st trip to WDW(CBR),2007-WDW(POP)& DCL(Eastern)& bought DVC AKV,2008-WDW(AKV),2009-WDW(SSR)&DCL(Western),2010-WDW(BLT)&DCL(Bahamas), 2011-NCL-Alaska,2012-DCL & AKV for Thanksgiving,2013-1st trip to DLR!!, DCL & WDW(AKV)2014 Spring Break
nikkistevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #2798
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

I agree about the power foods, though for me and DH we call them nourishing foods instead. The stuff that really works for your body; that nourishes it and keeps you full.

But jilly, that's something for you to work out in time. No hurry. For now the sugar free candy works; in time you might find that the sweetness of it might work differently and you'll want to change things up.

DH found that bringing fruits and veggies and really good lunches and snacks kept him away from the candy and vending machines. If he ate something sweet other than an apple, it would trigger him. But that's him. You'll figure out how YOU work.
Part of my problem is willpower/self control. I've always had the metabolism of a hummingbird, ate when I was hungry, whatever it was I was hungry for (which, to be honest, wasn't 100% junk food crap anyway, but if I was wanting a Big Mac then dangit, I ate a Big Mac ... *WITH* fries!! ). Now I'm actually having to watch what I eat, and my granddad eats whatever he wants, so the house has more "junk" in it than I'd like, but at 95 I'm just glad he's still eating. I think it will get better in the fall when I'm 2 hours away at college 4 days a week and have more control over what's in my kitchen, but right now it's definitely a challenge. I have loaded up on the snack trays that Publix has with apples/cheese/grapes/pretzels combos, and discovered a love for hummus (ate it at a welcome home party for a soldier friend without having any clue what it was), which makes for a nice at school lunch (I use Wheat Thins for dipping in the hummus).

My first day in WW was last Tuesday, but since I'm limited on the food budget, the first few days were pretty much useless, since most of the food I had in the house was not good WW food, and I had to eat through that before I could justify spending a bunch of money on new food. But now that I've got the freezer stocked with WW meals (yeah, I know, frozen food isn't the best, but it's easy, and right now that's what I need) and "good" foods, it should be better. Plus I didn't even bother trying to count at the SB party on Sunday, I just nibbled on "bad" stuff and loaded up on "good" stuff (yay for veggie/fruit trays!!) and said to heck with it.

It'll also be easier once my medication gets working and I'm not hurting so much when I try to walk/run for any real distance. Some days just getting around campus is difficult, much less trying to exercise. So right now I'm more in a "don't gain more" mindset than a "lose the weight" mindset, I've just got too much working against me that I can't control right now, and I don't want to get discouraged if I end up not losing weight, but staying at my current 160.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #2799
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I'm stuck. I keep loosing and gaining the same ,4. This week I really amped up the interval training and strength training, but was up .2. How is that possible since I worked out so hard and stayed within my points?!?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #2800
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I'm stuck. I keep loosing and gaining the same ,4. This week I really amped up the interval training and strength training, but was up .2. How is that possible since I worked out so hard and stayed within my points?!?
Are you sore? If so (and even if you aren't, with the increase in training it's happening anyway) it means your body is healing itself. And that means its pulling water in to heal the muscles. Temporary upswings on the scale are normal and common when starting something new or increasing what's you've been doing.

Just keep going.

For me, as I started really exercising I found I had to eat more. Fueling the workouts in a smart way became important. Early on I started eating all weekly AND all (carefully calculated) activity points in order to continue to lose and to thrive in my workouts. If you haven't yet explored that, and if the weight keeps on not budging, you might consider exploring those options. Every body works differently, though!

And, because I would be remiss in not mentioning it, be sure your points-counting is accurate. I've found errors (or as I call them "trader joes changed the nutrition info on me" moments) which were messing up the counting, and DH has done things like use the generic soy milk (for example) rather then use the NI of what he's actually drinking, etc. different little spots to really tighten it up, make the points calculations more perfect.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #2801
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I did that once, and I had a gain that hung on for a couple of weeks. It happens! Don't give up, no matter what!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #2802
superme80
DIS Veteran

I have OFFICIALLY started Weight Watchers. Taxes came in, so I got my monthly pass today. I am down 5.6 lbs from New Years.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #2803
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by superme80 View Post
I have OFFICIALLY started Weight Watchers. Taxes came in, so I got my monthly pass today. I am down 5.6 lbs from New Years.
Congrats! I think the prednisone has turned me into a teenage boy, because I can't eat enough food to get full. So WW isn't really helping me much right now, cause I already know I'm overeating, but I can't help it. :/

Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #2804
Jannephotog
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm going to jump in & join the thread now, too. Been doing WW for over a year, lost some, did ok, gained some back & trying to get back lower than I got before. Happy to say I'm on the way, slowly but surely.

I started really doing the workout thing this past week, and I found if I work out I usually wind up eating better since I know I've put the effort in. When I went to weigh in Thursday, is as up .4, so I'm in the same boat. I'm just telling myself that it'll be worth it in the end, so gotta just keep on it. Kinda nice to hear other folks are in my same boat, honestly.

Jannephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #2805
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Congrats! I think the prednisone has turned me into a teenage boy, because I can't eat enough food to get full. So WW isn't really helping me much right now, cause I already know I'm overeating, but I can't help it. :/
Uck, prednisone is no fun. Hang in there! And drink drink drink (water, that is).
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: