Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #2596
WishnDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aburns8 View Post
I need some advice. I am great at my tracking during the day, but once I get home at night it is a free for all. I forget to track and even when I do I just eat everything in sight and then don't track the extra food. I need some help!
So...a couple of questions:

1. Are you hungry at night and that's why you are eating everything in sight?
2. What do you use to track?

Lynne
WishnDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #2597
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishnDisney View Post
Hi all. My name is Lynne. I've done WW off and on over the years...have been fairly successful but have never gotten to goal. Somewhere along the line, I just seem to get tired of it all.

So, I just took the plunge and signed up for WW Online this a.m. I am planning a Disney trip for next June. We went last June on our first family trip, had a great time, but my feet were crying by the last night from all of the weight I'm carrying around.

I could really use some motivational support along this journey. The agreement I made with my husband was that if I signed up, I had to go to the gym with him in the morning. Okay, I can do that. So, he's supportive, but he's got some really weird food habits. He won't eat dinner with the family at night, and consequently, the kids are getting into some bad habits as well. I would like to turn that around for all of us.

Also, I turn 50 in one year...I sure would like to run a 5K before I turn 50.

To get to my ideal weight, I would really need to lose 100 lbs. But, I'm not even going to look at that number. Too overwhelming, and I would be happy right now with a 5 lb. loss in a month. So, I'm just taking baby steps...

Anyway, I'm just looking for some motivation, support, etc. It's hard when you don't necessarily have a buddy doing it with you.

Thanks.
Welcome! Like you I have been on and off WW for years. Back in 1999 I lost 60 pounds, kept it off for four years and then it all came back one. I have been on and off with WW ever since. I just rejoined two weeks ago.

You have some great goals! Good luck!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #2598
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So...a couple of questions:

1. Are you hungry at night and that's why you are eating everything in sight?
2. What do you use to track?

Lynne
No, I could go without eating the extra food. I am just really unhappy right now and when I get down in the dumps I eat.

I have been using my cell phone and the WW app to track.

Andrea
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #2599
zoo2tycoon
Mouseketeer

Went to my first meeting last night...the number was bad. I have about 30 pounds to lose before I will be at a goal I am happy with.
Today I went to the grocery- lots of fruits and good choices. Came home and put the points value on things so if I want I know how many before---
I have planned out todays menu.

I do have a food scale and measuring cups----know that is a key thing. We might think we know portions but our view and the actual amount (in my case especially) are two different things.

Hope everyone has a good day staying on track and tracking!
zoo2tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #2600
eh24fan
I was such a NKOTB nerd
I was dancing like a fool and having a great time!

Quote:
I need some advice. I am great at my tracking during the day, but once I get home at night it is a free for all. I forget to track and even when I do I just eat everything in sight and then don't track the extra food. I need some help!
Are you eating enough during the day? And are you eating foods that satisfy you?

I tend to hoard my points during the day for dinner at night. BUT, that also backfires if I'm not careful to eat good, satisfying foods during the day. I'm getting much better about it, but I have to really make myself see that 5 points for breakfast is FINE! I get 34 points a day for heaven's sake! I'm not going to starve if I don't have 17 points for my dinner. Sheesh

I find that I sometimes need to have a little something before I leave work. I get off at 330pm. We tend to eat dinner around 530-6 depending on what's going on, so that's a bit of time. I try NOT to be really hungry when I get home b/c then I want to snack and pick until I have dinner ready.

AND TRACK EVERY BITE! I know it's easy to "forget" because I have conveniently not tracked things...and it comes back to bite me at weigh in. Seeing exactly what that snack means in terms of my points sometimes gives me the reality check I needed.

eh24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #2601
TenThousandVolts
I just gave 2 examples for the same pronunciation
I would (and will) do it for 3 days

Quote:
Tracking is a great learning tool. Even if you are going way over your points and going crazy with snacking- TRACK. Tracking bad choices or crazy days is very important because we learn from it. Tracking lets us see how quickly little bits of this and that add up. You will look back and say I can't believe I wasted X points on that. And you will be less likely to repeat that mistake.

example: I once used almost all my weeklies in one day- beer, buffalo wings and more beer. It was pretty good but getting through the next four days with no extra points was really hard- I haven't done that again- and I doubt I will.

Make sure you are eating your fruits and veggies and good fats through the day- that should help you stay away from being starved at night. I totally get where you are coming from.

PS: I lost 2 lbs at weigh-in

Last edited by TenThousandVolts; 09-12-2013 at 05:28 PM.
TenThousandVolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #2602
TenThousandVolts

welcome wishndisney! I have found this group to be a great support! I hope you do too.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #2603
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...We went last June on our first family trip, had a great time, but my feet were crying by the last night from all of the weight I'm carrying around.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some motivation, support, etc. It's hard when you don't necessarily have a buddy doing it with you.

Thanks.
Hi!

I had all sorts of excuses for why my feet were dying so bad during our trips. Until February 2012 when the excuses just faded. I knew the problem. I was killing my joints. I felt like someone was hammering my feet the whole trip. Even lying in bed it felt like someone had taken a hammer to my heels. Just awful. I was 41 and felt 91. Since we live next door to an amazing man who actually is older than 91 and is light on his feet and ON his feet every day (he's an artist) I was feeling really really really horrid.

Got home, saw an ad with Jennifer Hudson, went to a meeting the next day.

Since that time, 84.2 lbs gone! And it's AMAZING the difference it makes. Even 10% was amazing. We went to Disneyland in July and October 2012 and it was already amazing how different I felt. Then WDW this February and it was even better. You have such great times to look forward to!!!

I used a free Couch to 5K program from coolrunnings.com to work myself up to a 5K. I'm still mainly using the Galloway jog/walk method, though I *can* run for longer periods of time. I took the C25K program slowly, repeating weeks as I needed. I'd been off the fitness track for a long time, the weight had brought its buddy asthma with it, and I just needed heart, lungs, blood vessels, and muscles to catch up. So it took a bit of time, and then I did it again. And now it's getting really good.

So you can do it!!!

This thread is really good for support.

But just so you know, having a spouse doing WW at the same time isn't always as fabulous as it seems. After all, men tend to get more points than women do. When we started, I got 32 points and DH got 71. By the time I lost 40+ I was at 26 points. Now, he's a much slower loser than I am (a few reasons) and I think he's at 66 points now, and it's still such a big difference it hardly feels like we're doing the program together. (on the other hand, the reality is that I eat all Weekly and Activity points, so I'm not eating only 26 points per day at all)

It's great to have someone in the household who is doing it too, or at least not complaining, but on the other hand sometimes it's nicer to have people a bit closer to your points-plus daily value on the journey with you.

Quote:
Can you pre-track your food for the evening? Would that help? Especially if you included some sort of good that you generally crave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh24fan View Post
Last night's weigh in brought a welcome surprise for me!! 2.6lbs gone!! 2.6!! I was so excited - and surprised! I even asked to get off the scale and get back on to be sure. LOL That's a total of 15.2 gone and that's amazing to me. Today I'm even wearing jeans to work that were too tight a month ago.
Woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by averill94 View Post
Thank you for the supportive words! I think I will bring up sabotage this week!!!!
I hope it goes well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenThousandVolts View Post

PS: I lost 2 lbs at weigh-in
Woo!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 09-12-2013 at 11:27 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #2604
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

I am going to first start tracking every bite that I eat. I think that I struggle doing that. Once I am honest with myself by seeing what I am eating I hope it is the wake up call to make some changes!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #2605
dreamlinda
"dance to the music in your heart"

Down another 1.4, and happy with that number!!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #2606
TenThousandVolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I used a free Couch to 5K program from coolrunnings.com to work myself up to a 5K. I'm still mainly using the Galloway jog/walk method, though I *can* run for longer periods of time.
This is how I became a runner- the Galloway walk/run intervals. I could not run at all when I started. About 8 months after I began with the walk/run method I ran my first half marathon- and I never stopped to walked the whole time.

Dreamlinda: Congrats on the loss!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #2607
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

Down 1.4 this week. It was a surprise with all of the extra night eating I was doing. Going to track everything this week!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #2608
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi all. My name is Lynne. I've done WW off and on over the years...have been fairly successful but have never gotten to goal. Somewhere along the line, I just seem to get tired of it all.

So, I just took the plunge and signed up for WW Online this a.m. I am planning a Disney trip for next June. We went last June on our first family trip, had a great time, but my feet were crying by the last night from all of the weight I'm carrying around.

I could really use some motivational support along this journey. The agreement I made with my husband was that if I signed up, I had to go to the gym with him in the morning. Okay, I can do that. So, he's supportive, but he's got some really weird food habits. He won't eat dinner with the family at night, and consequently, the kids are getting into some bad habits as well. I would like to turn that around for all of us.

To get to my ideal weight, I would really need to lose 100 lbs. But, I'm not even going to look at that number. Too overwhelming, and I would be happy right now with a 5 lb. loss in a month. So, I'm just taking baby steps...

Thanks.
Having a goal of eating things at Disney instead of in the months leading up to my trip really helped me stay on track. It was very motivating to me to say: Why have that cinnamon roll now when I can have THE cinnamon roll at Disney? That's the way I thought about so many different foods for months. I kept promising myself that I would eat all those goodies at Disney. (But I have to tell you -- I ate them at Disney and they weren't nearly as good as my mind was telling me they were going to be!)

Another way the upcoming trip to Disney motivated me was knowing that what I was doing in the months before were going to make the trip better for me in terms of stamina. (Unfortunately, my dh was having health issues and we saw more of our room than the parks, so I never really got to test my stamina the way I wanted.)

Of course clothes are a great motivator. New clothes for vacation -- now who DOESN'T want that?

Another idea for motivation -- every time you don't buy something that you really want to eat but know would not be a smart choice, put that money into a Disney fund and use that money to treat yourself (not your family) to one special souvenir that you want.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #2609
TenThousandVolts

today in my nutrition class I have to begin a project called diet analysis. So I have to double track everything- I still am tracking in etools but also in a nutrition calculator on the website for my text book. I think at the end of the project it will make recommendations on how I can improve my diet.
Should be interesting.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #2610
WishnDisney
Mouseketeer

Yay -it's Monday

Okay, so I'm not really sooo happy it's Monday. I just typed a big long post and it disappeared! Hope this one stays cause I need to get to work!

I want to thank everyone for their kind welcomes and words of encouragement. Also some great motivating ideas - I love the delayed gratification - don't eat it now cause you can eat it in Disney, and I think I've already processed the, don't spend the money on it now cause I can use it for Disney. I tend to buy breakfast every morning - so that money is now going into the Disney fund.

So - I'm WW Online with Monday WI. I was down 4 lbs. I'll take it, although I also know there are some other factors that contribute to that - I did my WI at the gym this morning so it was earlier in the day and a different scale. Yes, you heard that right...at the gym! I actually dragged my bottom out of bed this a.m. for the first time in a year to go to the gym with DH. I walked on the treadmill for 1 hr. After this week, I intend to add in strength training, although that will cut into my 1 hr. on the treadmill. I also ordered Active Link, so we'll see if that will help motivate me as well.

I did C25K about 5 years ago and got through the program. Then I started having some issues with my ankle and threw in the towel. I felt great though while I was doing it. I've been so inactive for a while, that I figure it will probably be 1-2 months before I could even consider something like that.

Aburns8 - Great job on the loss. And I think you've got the right idea about tracking even when you go off program. I do the same thing...I think it's denial and refusal on my part to acknowledge what I am actually doing. So I'll make a deal with you...one day at a time...you and I will both track every bite today.

TenThousandVolts - 2 lbs. down - yay! Your nutrition class sounds interesting. Are you actually taking this somewhere or doing it online?

dreamlinda - Another great loss! Woo!

Well, I better get to work.

Lynne
WishnDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: