Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #2551
jmv223
Earning My Ears

Glad you're feeling better, RapunzelsBFF!! And congrats to everyone on a great week! I was down 1.5 on Wednesday, so a net of .5 since I gained the week before. I'm thrilled. With school back in session (I'm a mid life crisis career change student!) it's been so hard to stay on track.

I realized the other day that I'm using snacking to procrastinate on my school work, hopefully now that I recognize it I can make good choices going forward. Also, I get up a lot earlier now so I almost feel like I need a second breakfast. I'm trying to plan ahead and bring low and no points snacks with me to avoid the junk in the bookstore.

This weekend is going to be tough. I'm going to a baseball game with my kids tonight, but I'm bringing my own sandwich and water. I plan to only buy one beer and one order of garlic fries and stay within my daily points. I want my weeklies for the Renaissance Festival tomorrow, where all bets are off! I go maybe once every 5 years so I'm going to splurge!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
jmv223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #2552
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

Hello everyone! I just joined this morning (again). Hoping not to lose the motivation again!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #2553
TenThousandVolts
I just gave 2 examples for the same pronunciation
I would (and will) do it for 3 days

welcome aburns!!!

I wentto my meeting and was down 2.2! Pretty surprising considering the dirty things I did in Disney! You know the week before I went on vacation I was perfect and barely touched my weeklies and lost/gained zero. This is my last day of my week (get 49 new weeklies tomorrow) I have 30 weeklies left and dinner is done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmv223 View Post
...(I'm a mid life crisis career change student!) ...
me too! but I was in school all summer too so I am already in the routine.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #2554
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Lost 1.6 last week, gained 3 this week. Whoops!

But I'm at my brother's: no food scale, can't eat many veggies or fruits (my brother's nose is highly sensitive, so I'm finding myself sneaking bananas on the way home from the store, LOL...I used to sneak chocolate! ), we have a social beer-drinking hour or two, etc. And yesterday DS and I went to SeaWorld and I got a nasty sunburn, which seems to make me swell a bit.

Oh well! I know what to do.

At the meeting today (for anyone in the Eastlake/Chula Vista area, the meeting near Von's on Saturday is a nice one!) they had us write a goal for the week before Thanksgiving. My goal is a combo: make Lifetime while running well. Running well is the biggie, because that's the one that can cause me to pass out if I'm not eating right. It'll be an interesting goal to work on!

And I even updated my ticker to show the 3 lbs. (harder to do than I thought it would be!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #2555
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I always seem to lose more in weeks that I feel I've done badly. I can't figure it out...I can use 1 weekly and lose like 1 or use 15 weeklies and lose 2. Totally boggles me.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #2556
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

At our meeting last week, we were asked to write down one piece of advice for someone just joining Weight Watchers. Did you do that in your meetings? I'd like to hear what everyone wrote down.

Here's what I wrote: Take a "before" pic when you join because you will be looking for pics of yourself after you've lost weight and you will discover that you had been hiding from the camera all those years. So take a full body picture of yourself when you join and you'll have a great "before" picture to show people.

Along with that, I would add that everyone should keep one set of clothes from "before" also. Imagine putting on those "before" pants and having them fall completely off (in privacy, of course). What a great feeling of accomplishment!

So, what is your advice for someone joining WW?
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #2557
dreamlinda
"dance to the music in your heart"

We were also asked to write a tip. I shared one I picked up from a waiter (at Chili's I think). Don't try to change an offering on a menu. Review what they have and then just order what you want. Like: a plain grilled chicken breast with grilled or steamed vegies and a side of BBQ sauce or low-fat dressing. Takes less time than the "minus this, plus that" conversation and probably has a much better chance of being understood by the kitchen.

I have even done this at WDW, it works really well!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #2558
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
At our meeting last week, we were asked to write down one piece of advice for someone just joining Weight Watchers. Did you do that in your meetings? I'd like to hear what everyone wrote down.
Weirdly, the meeting I went to did something different!

I love your ideas, though. Along with a picture and keeping one set of clothes, I say *take your measurements*!!!!!

Eventually you will want to start taking them, and then you will NEVER know what your measurements were before. You'll have incomplete information. For someone like me, that's maddening. But also for someone like me, the idea of measurements back in Feb 2012 was enough to make me burst into tears, have an anxiety attack, and hide in a closet. But *now* the feeling of wishing I'd done it is actually stronger than the fear was...and I wish I'd known that.

The picture idea is great, because otherwise, when you're working part time for WW, or want to join a contest for WW, you won't have a Before picture!

And then also my suggestion is to *read your materials*. Read them early, read them later. Schedule times to read them, like once every 3 months or so. And check foods you haven't calculated in a long time. Just today I realized that DH was going by "thin crust cheese pizza" for Little Caesars pizza. Yeah, that's NOT thin crust pizza! He was off by, oh, let's just say several points for the # of slices he had. And then he had OVERestimated for the Crazy Bread. Go to the websites of restaurants, look it up in the tracker to see if the restaurant/store has added it! Get the things you buy regularly and recheck it. Use the Nutrition Info for the actual item you're getting NOT the generic one. Again with DH, he was using the generic soy milk, when OUR soy milk was quite a bit different! I recently ran into a problem that is me vs Trader Joe's, because I say their Cilantro and Chive yogurt dip is one thing and they say it's another. I have to check their current NI label when I get another tub of it.

Wow that's a lot of advice.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #2559
eh24fan
I was such a NKOTB nerd
I was dancing like a fool and having a great time!

So yesterday I took a 90 minute RPM/Spin Challenge class with my cousin at the gym. Can I just say HOLY COW!!????!!! That was tough but I loved it! I've never taken a spin class and what a workout. I was sweating like crazy...even my forearms. The classes are normally 45min to an hour, so this was nearly a double class. There were 2 instructors and after the first half I felt like I wasn't going to make it. LOL The lady next time asked if it was my first class at the gym and I told her it was my first spin class ever. Her face was priceless. She said "wow, you picked a tough day to try it out!" According to her, the first half was the hardest spin class you'll ever take b/c that instructor is "brutal" She had us doing pushups while riding, clapping, arm raises...it was nuts.

By the time we were finished my legs were like jello and my butt was screaming for mercy. Those bike seats are NOT meant for oversize rear ends. LOL I was looking forward to the hill climbs that required standing!!

With that said, I can't wait to go back on Saturday morning. We are doing a class together before we go to my brother in law's football game. I wish the gym wasn't 30 minutes from home and and hour from work because I would definitely go more often. It's quite a workout and I'm feeling it today!

eh24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #2560
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

Get the things you buy regularly and recheck it. Use the Nutrition Info for the actual item you're getting NOT the generic one. Again with DH, he was using the generic soy milk, when OUR soy milk was quite a bit different! I recently ran into a problem that is me vs Trader Joe's, because I say their Cilantro and Chive yogurt dip is one thing and they say it's another. I have to check their current NI label when I get another tub of it.
You are right about checking and rechecking. I've found PPV on labels that don't match the e-Tools tracker. You can drop a note to both the manufacturer and WW and eventually they will fix it. (And the manufacturer will probably send you a few coupons in return.)
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #2561
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post

You are right about checking and rechecking. I've found PPV on labels that don't match the e-Tools tracker. You can drop a note to both the manufacturer and WW and eventually they will fix it. (And the manufacturer will probably send you a few coupons in return.)
Cool idea.

I figured out the dip problem. On the label they rounded down to 4s and 1s. On the tracker TJ provided real info with 4.15 grams of fat, 1.something protein. And those fractions are enough to take it from 2 pts for 2 servings (as I had been calculating) to 3 pts.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #2562
eh24fan
I was such a NKOTB nerd
I was dancing like a fool and having a great time!

Well, I'm down 0.8 lb this week. I was hoping for more, but honestly, don't we always?

eh24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #2563
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I'm down another 2.2 as of today! That brings me to 23.6 total. I said how I always feel like on weeks that I think I've done badly that I lose more, and my leader said that maybe for the time being I might need to eat a little more to lose which just blows my little mind.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #2564
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

LSB, I personally found that losses got easier when I started using Weeklies all the time. So it could be that you have a similar metabolism.

The other idea you can bat around is that your losses/gains are delayed. That it takes more than 7 days for you to metabolize that fat. So you eat a lot one week, don't gain that weigh in, but DO gain the following week. Or you eat really really well one week, no change, and then the following week (when you haven't been as perfect, but that week isn't showing up yet on the scale) lose. See what I mean? Early on I looked to see if anyone REALLY knew how long it takes to lose a pound of fat, and the answer seems to be that it varies, but it's NOT immediate. It can take longer than a week.

the phrase some people have used is that we always get what we deserve on the scale; it just might not show up on the week we deserve it.

eh24fan, .8 is fabulous! After reading your post I just did the math, and I, in effect, lost .7 each of the last two weeks. Of course, for me it appeared as a 1.6 loss then a 3lb gain. I'd rather have the steady .7, please!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #2565
TenThousandVolts
I just gave 2 examples for the same pronunciation
I would (and will) do it for 3 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
I always seem to lose more in weeks that I feel I've done badly. I can't figure it out...I can use 1 weekly and lose like 1 or use 15 weeklies and lose 2. Totally boggles me.
I see that too- it seems like the scale is a week behind.

For the first time since joining ww (mid July) I am struggling. I am having trouble staying within my points. I am having cravings, having trouble motivating myself to workout... Not sure what my problem is but I am going to try to power through this.

The scale is not moving and my meeting is tomorrow night- I usually go in the am and I weigh more at night so I am actually expecting a gain at the meeting. That is discouraging.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: