Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #2536
jmv223
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
So my journey to the county fair has come and gone. I'm going to call it "the day that I almost crashed the WW app".

I love this! I joked with my sister that I "blew up the WW app" the day I hit my 10%. I had promised myself a burger, fries and shake from Cheeburger Cheeburger when I hit that goal and I enjoyed everyone of the 67 points I ate that day! (and I lost a pound that week too!)

I'm up 1.0 this week, but I'm not at all surprised. My super active job ended last Thursday, and school started this week. Add a weekend of visiting family in between and it's actually a miracle it was only 1 pound.

I need to figure out a way to stay active while I'm swamped with school for the next 8 weeks. I'm already exhausted and there's just something about studying that makes me want wine and ice cream!
jmv223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #2537
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh24fan View Post
ugh I was up 1.2 last night...and I know why, so that's that. LOL Moving on! I fell off the tracking wagon over the last 2 weeks and it's showing. So I'm recommitting myself to faithfully tracking!!

Also, last week I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I was hoping to stave it off with weight loss, but I didn't get it in gear early enough I guess. My mom, her dad and ALL of his siblings are/were known diabetics. Sooooo, I'm on metformin daily now and I'm really just having to rethink the way I eat, even with WW. It's ok though and I'm motivated to get it going! My dr believes with the 2x daily dose of metformin, diet and exercise we can get that A1C number down to where she wants it. Let's hope I can do it!!! I'm on the right track though, so that's a start.
Be sure to go to the classes your insurance almost certainly provides.

FWIW, my hubby had that diagnosis in 2009, took metformin for one week. He had all the really negative and embarrassing side effects, and when we read the package insert where it tells you it takes WEEKS to build up enough in the system to start working but his blood sugars were already going down, he realized he didn't want to take it. His endo bugged him about it for a few years, but with just diet changes and exercise the changes he made and kept on making couldn't be argued with. At his most recent endocrinologist appointment his endo declared him free of type 2; he has no signs or symptoms of it anymore. No metformin, just diet and exercise.

Second to last appointment DH was reading a magazine the doc had left in the waiting room, it was meant for health care providers. Had an interesting article stating that MOST people with type 2 can reverse it withOUT drugs, but that most people won't make the changes. So the article suggested that the docs always push it, as though there's no other way, because of those people who won't make the changes. DH felt incredibly justified in refusing metformin after that, because the docs know that most COULD do it if only they would make the changes.

Find what YOU can and cannot eat. It's not a pure or simple science of #s of carbs. For DH we found that it's the TYPE of carbs and where they are from that makes a huge difference as well. And as long as you're not allergic, try adding cinnamon to your cooking. That stuff just blasted DH's high blood sugars away, it's like a natural wonderdrug for DH.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #2538
RapunzelsBFF
Earning My Ears

Down 3.6 this week, which is amazing considering I was in a car wreck on Sunday which had me stuck in bed Sunday evening-Thursday evening. No gym, no proper cooking, and lots of sleeping and pain medication. Hopefully my body goes easy on me and I can at least maintain for next week.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #2539
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ugh I was up 1.2 last night...and I know why, so that's that. LOL Moving on! I fell off the tracking wagon over the last 2 weeks and it's showing. So I'm recommitting myself to faithfully tracking!!

Also, last week I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I was hoping to stave it off with weight loss, but I didn't get it in gear early enough I guess. My mom, her dad and ALL of his siblings are/were known diabetics. Sooooo, I'm on metformin daily now and I'm really just having to rethink the way I eat, even with WW. It's ok though and I'm motivated to get it going! My dr believes with the 2x daily dose of metformin, diet and exercise we can get that A1C number down to where she wants it. Let's hope I can do it!!! I'm on the right track though, so that's a start.
Tracking really does make a big difference. Good for you for committing yourself to it.

I'm sorry you got that diabetes diagnosis. But I really think you have a great attitude about it and wonderful determination. I know you can do it!
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #2540
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapunzelsBFF View Post
Down 3.6 this week, which is amazing considering I was in a car wreck on Sunday which had me stuck in bed Sunday evening-Thursday evening. No gym, no proper cooking, and lots of sleeping and pain medication. Hopefully my body goes easy on me and I can at least maintain for next week.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
So glad you are able to be here posting! I hope you are healing up well from the accident, so sorry that happened to you.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #2541
TenThousandVolts
I just gave 2 examples for the same pronunciation
I would (and will) do it for 3 days

Hi all I am just back from my 10 day vacation- 7 days at WDW and 3 at the beach in Hilton Head, SC.

Much to my astonishment I did not gain any weight!!! I maybe lost a tiny bit, but I will let y'all know officially after my meeting and weigh-in. I feel so pro-weight watchers right now as I have NEVER, EVER not gained weight at Disney. I also did NOT deprive myself. I had all of my favorite goodies- I just tracked everything to the best of my ability and stayed within my points.

I have to spend some time catching up on everybody's business since I haven't been online in a while- but RapunzelBFFs post caught my eye- I hope you are feeling better! So scary!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #2542
jdanjou
Earning My Ears

Down 0.8 this week. This was by far the worst eating week I had in the last 3 (ate all of my WPA's, AP's, and then some) and it was the only week of those 3 I've lost. I don't get it, but hey, I'll definitely take the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
jdanjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #2543
RapunzelsBFF
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
So glad you are able to be here posting! I hope you are healing up well from the accident, so sorry that happened to you.
Feeling better, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenThousandVolts View Post
Hi all I am just back from my 10 day vacation- 7 days at WDW and 3 at the beach in Hilton Head, SC.

Much to my astonishment I did not gain any weight!!! I maybe lost a tiny bit, but I will let y'all know officially after my meeting and weigh-in. I feel so pro-weight watchers right now as I have NEVER, EVER not gained weight at Disney. I also did NOT deprive myself. I had all of my favorite goodies- I just tracked everything to the best of my ability and stayed within my points.

I have to spend some time catching up on everybody's business since I haven't been online in a while- but RapunzelBFFs post caught my eye- I hope you are feeling better! So scary!
WTG making it through a Disney trip without a gain! & thank you, I am doing well
Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #2544
dreamlinda
"dance to the music in your heart"

Hi Everyone! I Re-joined WW in late July and joined this thread, but didn't actually attend a meeting and get started until last Tuesday. The first week went well - getting back in the groove and it feels good. Have let go of the "why oh why" did I lose my way and gain back some of the weight I had lost (first time took off 70 lbs). Big step forgiving myself! So -onward and downward
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #2545
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Just checking in. Lost again, another 1.4 bringing the total to 21.4. My mother picked me up at work tonight and said she doesn't immediately recognize me when I walk up because she's used to looking for someone bigger so that was interesting to hear. My poor meeting leader seemed stressed out though, we had a sub that miscalculated some of our numbers so she was trying to make sure everyone was accurate.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #2546
NC State
DIS Veteran

Gained .6 this week and I thought I had done so well.
This will be a tough week. Today is my birthday. I told my husband I just wanted to go to the gym and I didn't want a heavy meal. So we are just going for Sweet Frogs! Then Saturday it's swimsuit shopping because we leave for a cruise on Sept 7th. It will be the Cheesecake Factory with my husband and daughter to celebrate...it's not going to be pretty at my next weigh in.

Oct 5-10, 2014 Pop /Wonder cruise Apr 26-May 1, 2015/
Dream cruise Sept 8-12, 2013
/Feb, 2013 Pop /Sept 2012 AoA(LM)/Feb 2012 WL /Sept 2011 CSR /
Dec 2010 ASMu/Sept 2009 ASMu / Sept 2008 Pop/ May 2007 POR/
Oct-Nov 2006 Pop /Sept-Oct 2005 Pop/Sept 2003 CBR /May 1994 off site
NC State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #2547
kkmousealow
Earning My Ears

Hi - I just started ww ... This is my 3rd week. I'm not going to meetings, just using the apps. I want to lose about 15 lbs I think. I've just slowly been growing out of my clothes. I love the structure that ww provides - it really helps me stay accountable to myself. But I miss my evening manhattans! S far I have lost about 3 lbs.
I turn 40 this weekend - saving my extra points for some pizza and ice cream!
kkmousealow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #2548
eh24fan
I was such a NKOTB nerd
I was dancing like a fool and having a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Be sure to go to the classes your insurance almost certainly provides.

FWIW, my hubby had that diagnosis in 2009, took metformin for one week. He had all the really negative and embarrassing side effects, and when we read the package insert where it tells you it takes WEEKS to build up enough in the system to start working but his blood sugars were already going down, he realized he didn't want to take it. His endo bugged him about it for a few years, but with just diet changes and exercise the changes he made and kept on making couldn't be argued with. At his most recent endocrinologist appointment his endo declared him free of type 2; he has no signs or symptoms of it anymore. No metformin, just diet and exercise.

Second to last appointment DH was reading a magazine the doc had left in the waiting room, it was meant for health care providers. Had an interesting article stating that MOST people with type 2 can reverse it withOUT drugs, but that most people won't make the changes. So the article suggested that the docs always push it, as though there's no other way, because of those people who won't make the changes. DH felt incredibly justified in refusing metformin after that, because the docs know that most COULD do it if only they would make the changes.

Find what YOU can and cannot eat. It's not a pure or simple science of #s of carbs. For DH we found that it's the TYPE of carbs and where they are from that makes a huge difference as well. And as long as you're not allergic, try adding cinnamon to your cooking. That stuff just blasted DH's high blood sugars away, it's like a natural wonderdrug for DH.

I somehow NEVER replied to any of this!! Initially I didn't say yes to the education thing, but I've decided when I go back to the Dr in a couple of weeks, I'm going to ask her to suggest her favorite one. My mom is diabetic and a GREAT resource, but I think I definitely need to meet with the dietician/nutritionist.

I've been fortunate enough to NOT have the side effects from the metformin, but I really hope to be able to get off of it or at least only take it once a day. I've already made a lot of eating changes but could obviously stand to make more. I know that finding out which carbs/food are going to affect me the most is going to be trial and error.

So far, my numbers have been GREAT and I just recently started adding more cinnamon to my cooking and taking a daily cinnamon supplement. So we'll see how it goes....I know that by working on weight loss and eating better has given me a jump start!

And also, this week's weigh in results are in -- 0.8lbs down. LOL It's a LOSS not a GAIN and that's always good, no matter how little. But man, I really want MORE.

eh24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #2549
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And also, this week's weigh in results are in -- 0.8lbs down. LOL It's a LOSS not a GAIN and that's always good, no matter how little. But man, I really want MORE.
Woo! .8 is fabulous!

When DH got his diagnosis we called our insurance company and they told us all the resources available to us. We didn't even have to wait to get a meter for him; called the local hospital with the classes (that insurance included for all of us) and they told us to come right up. Met with nurses (no appointment needed for diabetes stuff!), they showed us the meters they had, once DH chose one they showed him (and us) how to use it, etc. It was pretty great.

Sadly DH had a rotten doctor. He was diagnosed by an urgent care doc who actually thought DH's pancreas had just tanked (from the way it showed up...he's a big guy and so blood sugar is always tested, and it had been fine fine fine fine for years then suddenly 400+). Sent him over to the family-doc side of the practice, and that guy said, and I quote, "you're fat; it's type 2"*. And said we would be wasting our time with an endocrinologist. I'm not sad to say that guy is no longer with their practice (we had nothing to do with that, though), and I found an endo through people I trust.

Through the endo DH also found out that he has a pituitary tumor, which was definitely causing the weight issues he was having, and the endo has confirmed that the tumor definitely went hand in hand with the hormone issues helping to cause the blood sugar stuff (endocrinology is fascinating).

The tumor is benign, but it creates prolactin (boys aren't supposed to have that), which was decimating his testosterone, causing weight gain, and it was about to be big enough to press on his optic nerves. Which would have ultimately caused blindness, and which, no doubt, the family doc would have blamed on the blood sugars.

I definitely like to have an endocrinologist when there are hormones involved, and since insulin is a hormone, I really recommend having one.

Glad you haven't had the side effects from metformin! Dh just wanted to die from the gastro problems it caused in him.

*it was, after all, type 2. but that's just shoddy healthcare. Years and years ago MIL's doctor diagnosed her with diabetes, and said, though in Korean, "you're thin so it's type 1". MIL refused insulin, but hasn't died yet. With metformin she sits at a level of around 150 most of the time, and no one has gotten on her case about insulin (but when she's in the hospital she is given insulin and gets to around 100 and is a totally different person), so obviously it's not type 1. There's simply no excuse for deciding what type you have based on what your body looks like, so even though that family doc did end up being right about type, I'm glad we're not in "danger" of seeing him again.... also, 10 years before all that he had given me a bad diagnosis as well...just slipshod work overall by him.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #2550
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenThousandVolts View Post

That's wonderful! The walking helps, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
Just checking in. Lost again, another 1.4 bringing the total to 21.4. My mother picked me up at work tonight and said she doesn't immediately recognize me when I walk up because she's used to looking for someone bigger so that was interesting to hear. My poor meeting leader seemed stressed out though, we had a sub that miscalculated some of our numbers so she was trying to make sure everyone was accurate.
That's exactly how I am with my daughter. She's lost 86 and looks so different. I'm still getting used to seeing her even though we attend meetings together and I see her all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmousealow View Post
Hi - I just started ww ... This is my 3rd week. I'm not going to meetings, just using the apps. I want to lose about 15 lbs I think. I've just slowly been growing out of my clothes. I love the structure that ww provides - it really helps me stay accountable to myself. But I miss my evening manhattans! S far I have lost about 3 lbs.
I turn 40 this weekend - saving my extra points for some pizza and ice cream!
Welcome! I wish I had started this when my clothes started getting tight instead of buying new clothes.

Down .2 this week for a total of 90.6 now. Our leader is heading to Germany for the next month so she pledged to not gain more than 2 lbs and she asked us all to set a reasonable goal for ourselves and then we'll see how everyone did the first week she is back. I'm aiming to be 95 lbs off by the first week of October. (I had another goal, 100 off by the first day of fall but I have to be honest and say that isn't going to happen.)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: