Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #2356
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapunzelsBFF View Post
I read some reviews online that people had complained profusely about WW scales and how inaccurate they are. This morning I weighed myself three times in a row and got three different numbers ranging from a 20 pound to 30 pound difference!!! My boyfriend tried the same and each time was a completely different weight. We returned the scale this afternoon and got something else. It was just completely too inconsistent. The new scale works great!
I had been thinking about buying a WW scale, now I don't think I want one!

Ours is old, but doesn't seem to fluctuate a lot from day to day so I guess I'll stick with it.

I am kind of bummed though because always, always in the past our doctor's scales have been 3-5 pounds LESS than mine at home. This last time I went to have my Coumadin level checked I asked to step on the scale, and it was a pound MORE than at home and I even took off my shoes. I had been hoping to weigh LESS at the doctor's office than at home. I expressed my disappointment to the nurse and she said nobody had been happy with their scales lately, so maybe they were "off" a bit? Yeah, let's go with that!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #2357
RapunzelsBFF
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post

I had the same issue, so I returned it. Did you get the same scale or a different one?
I ended up getting "The Biggest Loser" by Taylor. scale. It doesn't have all the fancy features my WW one had (BMI, body fat %) but it is accurate as can be . Very happy with it. Highly recommended!
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #2358
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

Week 4 update:

1.6 loss for a total weight loss of 15.1lbs.

What worked this week:
For the most part, I felt more in control of my food. I had a bad day (mind wise not food wise) on Thursday but other then that, I felt very good about how I did this week. I worked on eating all of my daily points and felt good about that. DH and I had a date night last night and I used all of my dailies, weeklies and activity pts. And I REALLY enjoyed my food (and my date!!!).

What didn't work this week:
I hurt my back somehow so I was not as active as I what I would have liked to have been.

Goal for this week:
I'm going to go easier on exercise this week (not push myself so much) so that I continue to move but not at a strenuous pace. I'm also going to continue working on eating all of my dailies.

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #2359
TenThousandVolts
I just gave 2 examples for the same pronunciation
I would (and will) do it for 3 days

Introducing myself to the group- I'm Mary, I just joined WW today and have my first meeting tomorrow.
Would like to lose 20 lbs by Christmas.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #2360
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Scales are tricky. There are several that are WW branded, so they aren't all bad or good. We got a WW branded scale at Costco and it has worked well. We try to keep it in one place, without moving it around, because I've read that that keeps it more accurate. I've also read that re-weighing inside of a few minutes can be inaccurate because they move, etc. I don't know about that, as our scale has been pretty good about staying the same. It also gets to deal with a 70ish lb child, me, and hubby, and there is quite a bit of difference between the 3 of us.

Sounds good, Mom_Rides! Keeping yourself injury-free is a very good thing.

Welcome, TenThousandVolts!

Read your materials, remember that we can expect an *average* of between .5 and 2 lbs loss per week (and of course it being an average means that sometimes the losses will be lower than .5, sometimes we'll maintain, and sometimes we'll gain, so never take any one week's weigh-in too horribly seriously unless you really know you did something massively wrong). Consider thinking about using all of your Weekly points, and maybe even your (carefully calculated) Activity points! Some of us can eat them all, some of us don't want to or can't, some of us fall in between. But it's good to know what works for our bodies and minds.

I got involved in bragging on DH, and didn't mention that I'm now just .6 away from the top of my healthy weight range.

If I had a different leader, I would be able to set my goal at that top weight and then just see what happens, but my leader prefers it if we set a REAL goal. So, alas, it's going to still be awhile until my meetings and etools are free.

Oh, and yesterday while doing organizey and scrapbooky things, I braved looking at our Chef Mickey picture from Fall 2011 (I started WW Feb 2012). Oh gracious. No wonder people don't recognize me. There are so many women out there who carry their extra weight beautifully, dress wonderfully and well, and are still absolutely gorgeous even when at a higher weight than they want to be...I am most definitely NOT one of them.

Our photopass pictures appear to be the only place I appear in pictures for "before". So that'll be interesting to bring in when the time comes.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #2361
TenThousandVolts

thanks Bumbershoot!
.6lbs away from a healthy weight- that is awesome!!!! I have got a way to go before I get there. I am feeling really excited for this weight watchers journey.

10 years ago I followed WW flex points with great success. It felt like a very healthy, sensible plan. It felt sustainable. My biggest problem is maintenance- I have reached my goal many times only to gain it all back.

In 1 month we leave for WDW and I am mainly just hoping my shorts will be loose around the waist.

In 6 months I (hopefully) will be starting nursing school and I would like to be 20 lbs down by then. I am also running the WDW half marathon in Jan. My performance in races has really suffered since I have gained this weight- I would like to take at least 20 minutes off my last half marathon time.

Wishing everyone a healthy, on-track day!
TenThousandVolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #2362
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Bumbershoot, I just want to thank you for being so encouraging.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #2363
eh24fan
I was such a NKOTB nerd
I was dancing like a fool and having a great time!

To echo pwdebbie, I'd like to thank everyone for being so open and encouraging. I know this may seem silly, but I think that knowing people that are at our meetings OUTSIDE of WW, is a hinderance to my being open and "sharey" I need to be ok with it at some point, but for right now I have a feeling I'll be pretty quiet at meetings until I feel more open. So with that said, it's nice to have people here to share with.

eh24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #2364
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenThousandVolts View Post
10 years ago I followed WW flex points with great success. It felt like a very healthy, sensible plan.
I can't remember if it's Flex that I loved...no, I think it was one or so before that.

My first time through WW was in 2000. Loved it then (but met DH and decided that dating and WW were mutually exclusive)...but I love this plan more.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Bumbershoot, I just want to thank you for being so encouraging.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh24fan View Post
....but I think that knowing people that are at our meetings OUTSIDE of WW, is a hinderance to my being open and "sharey" I need to be ok with it at some point, but for right now I have a feeling I'll be pretty quiet at meetings until I feel more open. So with that said, it's nice to have people here to share with.
I get it. And for me since I attend with DH, and since he's VERY sharey, I feel awkward if I want to share as well. Like together we're taking up too much time, LOL.

Plus, since I do the plan differently than most people at my meeting do (I've become a runner at the age of 43 for example, which flummoxes even our leader...though a leader at a different meeting might very well just run the Disneyland half marathon in 2014 with me!), I often feel that my input there isn't appreciated. That's OK, of course; not everyone even WANTS to follow it like I do. But on a message board I'm not taking up anyone else's time for talking; in a meeting, however, if I talk then someone else might not get the chance. Know what I mean? I've got DH and I've got this space...so I don't need to share quite as much in person.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #2365
TenThousandVolts

So, I went to my first meeting last night- I wasn't crazy about it. Our leader was very warm and inviting but it just felt awkward. I will go weekly through this month and probably next month too, then I will reevaluate and maybe switch to the online program.
ehFan- I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't think I would want to see anyone I know at the WW meeting.

Bumber- I also am a late-in-life runner. I started running just after my 39th birthday and by my 40th birthday I had run several 5Ks and 10Ks and one half marathon. I turn 43 next week and love running (although it is more like jogging at my current speed). I try to run 2 half marathons each year (1 fall, 1 spring) so I always have something to work toward.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #2366
NC State
DIS Veteran

Can you locate another location to attend? I really love my leader and she keeps me wanting to return. I'm also a late-in-life runner. I just started running at age 47. I'll be turning 49 next month. I'm not fast but the last four races I finished my 5Ks in 34 mins. The bottom line is that we are out there and enjoying it ;-)

Oct 5-10, 2014 Pop /Wonder cruise Apr 26-May 1, 2015/
Dream cruise Sept 8-12, 2013
/Feb, 2013 Pop /Sept 2012 AoA(LM)/Feb 2012 WL /Sept 2011 CSR /
Dec 2010 ASMu/Sept 2009 ASMu / Sept 2008 Pop/ May 2007 POR/
Oct-Nov 2006 Pop /Sept-Oct 2005 Pop/Sept 2003 CBR /May 1994 off site
NC State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #2367
TenThousandVolts

my 2 cents on the scale debate- I have the EatSmart scale and it is really accurate. It was exactly the same as what the scale at the WW meeting said and is always right in line with my doctor's scale. You can get on it 5 times in a row and it will always give the exact same reading.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #2368
StayCool
DIS Veteran

First weigh in after my hiatus... 4 pounds down! Plus I passed my boards today so it is an all around awesome day! Hopefully my streak and motivation continues!

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #2369
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
First weigh in after my hiatus... 4 pounds down! Plus I passed my boards today so it is an all around awesome day! Hopefully my streak and motivation continues!
Congratulations!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #2370
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenThousandVolts View Post
Bumber- I also am a late-in-life runner. I started running just after my 39th birthday and by my 40th birthday I had run several 5Ks and 10Ks and one half marathon. I turn 43 next week and love running (although it is more like jogging at my current speed). I try to run 2 half marathons each year (1 fall, 1 spring) so I always have something to work toward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State View Post
I'm also a late-in-life runner. I just started running at age 47. I'll be turning 49 next month. I'm not fast but the last four races I finished my 5Ks in 34 mins. The bottom line is that we are out there and enjoying it ;-)
How nice to have company! I think my brother thinks I'm crazy; he's 41 and is starting to wind down the running b/c of his knees. Though I don't know, he's a big mind over matter person, so maybe he'll keep doing it and just live with icepacks on his knees. (not that I don't ice! I do.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
Woo!

Has anyone else out there introduced strength training to their routine? I've been doing a program at the Y and wow am I having results. I keep seeing myself in the mirror and I think I'm someone else. Oh that's just some person with arm muscles...oh wait that's me. I was trying to just do weights on my own but a Y person convinced me to sign up for this ActivTrax thing, and I did, and yay for that.

But I have to drink a lot of water to make sure I'm undoing the water retention from the weight training! Not to mention the heat recently.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: