Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #2281
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Rides View Post
So today was the first day I went over in my daily points (lesson learned...pasta sucks up points &#128533. I was only one point over and it took it off my weekly points. I'm guessing that's ok but what exactly are your weekly points for? I have activity points as well.
Just a point when pasta was involved? You did very well indeed!

Forgive my huge over-answer here. Sadly, I do that most of the time. Hope you can find some good stuff in my wordiness.

I use Weekly as just more points. I guess mentally I could say that I use Weekly as more good nutritious food, then I use Activity points for dessert, but then you look at what I do in a week, and the two get a little blended. And it doesn't really matter, that part's only mental.

But for me, relatively early on I worked both "extra" sets of points into my life. And I continued to do well. Actually I did better, because I wasn't feeling terrible while working out, and I wasn't "depriving" myself. (that's in quotes because the food plan with WW is hardly TRUE deprivation, right?)

I calculate Activity Points using a heart rate monitor most of the time. Every 80 kcals burned = 1 Activity Point. Some use 100 = 1AP...neither one is official, but someone at some point went into the calculations for points and worked it out that that's the basic level where an AP is earned. The same people (I assume) noticed that the very very basic idea of an point is, basically, approximately, only use if absolutely necessary value of a Points Plus point is 40 kcal. So you burn 80 kcal for an AP and eating that point is about 40 kcal. Eating APs doesn't mean you undo all your work, because you're only eating "back" half of what you burned. Make sense?

Anyway, that's how I count APs. As I get more fit and my heart rate is more in line with normal people (my HR has always been much much higher than normal, to the point where as a teen in aerobics classes I NEVER stated what my HR was because they would have been afraid) I notice that the APs I calculate that way are about the same as if I choose, for example, 25 minutes of weight lifting. With the HR monitor, turning it on as I start a set and pausing it between sets or while moving from machine to machine, I burn around 80 kcals. And "25 minutes of weight-lifting, nautilus-style, moderate" gives me 1 AP. Same.

It's possible that I could have lost faster without the APs, but I have no interest in really knowing, because I'm keeping my stomach, tastebuds, and mind happy, I'm keeping my workouts fueled, and I've still lost decently. For me, this weight stuff is incredibly mental, and it's taking some time to really have it sink in that I was that heavy, how much I despised myself then (it's not right to hate yourself just b/c of weight, but that's how I felt), how much that hatred messed with friendships, posting on websites, dealing with FB, enjoying myself with my family, etc, and to also deal with my size now. It's all taking a lot of time, and I think it's good that I deal with it while still losing, instead of dealing with most of it while maintaining. Maintenance is going to be hard enough!

Oh and I have also found that the way I view/use/look on Weekly and Activity Points has changed over time. What was good for me a year ago might not work for me now. Gotta find your own way, and change it up when you need to do so!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #2282
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

Just a point when pasta was involved? You did very well indeed!
IKR?! Ugh it was totally hard for me to walk away from that bowl of starchy goodness. I quickly dumped it in the dogs dish and let him enjoy before I fell to pieces!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #2283
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Too lazy to go back and quote properly so I'll just go from memory.

Keahgirl, I just did max zoom to see your little avatar pic--wow!! What a fabulous result for you. I think the looking good is important to us all, but you must feel so much better. That's inspiring.

I have always allowed myself to eat my weeklies. They're just points that are part of your allowance, but more flexible--I use a lot on Friday nights when we have our pizza. I find I do better overall once I start racking up the APs, though. I think I metabolize better when I am active. And it feels sustainable.

I have been on plan this time for almost 5 months now. I'm getting blasé about it all, I think. I don't track as well--I do track every day, and every *thing*, I just have started doing it in the evening for the whole day or something similar. I don't think it's such a bad thing, in that most things I eat regularly I know fairly well. A point here or there might surprise me, but I seem to have enough slack in my week now. I'm feeling confident that I can make it work long term. I just wish my dh would come onside. He could really stand to lose some weight; he has sleep apnea and the doc suggested one treatment would be to lose 30 lbs. He's not buying it though. It will always be harder when he makes bacon for breakfast or adds extra olive oil to...well, EVERYTHING. Or comes home with "family sized" bags of chips. I'd just like to be able to relax in my own home, you know, and not always have to be strong.

Some good news this week--I had to go out at lunch time and buy myself a belt, my pants were falling off me! I really don't want to buy any more clothes right now, I want to wait until our Orlando trip in August and hit the outlets. But the 14s I bought in May are too big. Nice problem to have, eh?

Weigh in tomorrow, wish me luck. I'd like to be down another lb. I want to lose 7 more before we leave on Aug 10.

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #2284
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
Too lazy to go back and quote properly so I'll just go from memory.

Keahgirl, I just did max zoom to see your little avatar pic--wow!! What a fabulous result for you. I think the looking good is important to us all, but you must feel so much better. That's inspiring.

I have always allowed myself to eat my weeklies. They're just points that are part of your allowance, but more flexible--I use a lot on Friday nights when we have our pizza. I find I do better overall once I start racking up the APs, though. I think I metabolize better when I am active. And it feels sustainable.

I have been on plan this time for almost 5 months now. I'm getting blasé about it all, I think. I don't track as well--I do track every day, and every *thing*, I just have started doing it in the evening for the whole day or something similar. I don't think it's such a bad thing, in that most things I eat regularly I know fairly well. A point here or there might surprise me, but I seem to have enough slack in my week now. I'm feeling confident that I can make it work long term. I just wish my dh would come onside. He could really stand to lose some weight; he has sleep apnea and the doc suggested one treatment would be to lose 30 lbs. He's not buying it though. It will always be harder when he makes bacon for breakfast or adds extra olive oil to...well, EVERYTHING. Or comes home with "family sized" bags of chips. I'd just like to be able to relax in my own home, you know, and not always have to be strong.

Some good news this week--I had to go out at lunch time and buy myself a belt, my pants were falling off me! I really don't want to buy any more clothes right now, I want to wait until our Orlando trip in August and hit the outlets. But the 14s I bought in May are too big. Nice problem to have, eh?

Weigh in tomorrow, wish me luck. I'd like to be down another lb. I want to lose 7 more before we leave on Aug 10.
Good luck on your weigh in, and congrats on the NSV! It is awesome when you have to buy a belt!

It is nice to look good, but that is just a bonus. I feel so much better, and life is easier in ways I never even realized.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #2285
NC State
DIS Veteran

Down .8 this week back to a total of 39.6 lb lost.....still 6.4 lb heavier that last summer.

Oct 5-10, 2014 Pop /Wonder cruise Apr 26-May 1, 2015/
Dream cruise Sept 8-12, 2013
/Feb, 2013 Pop /Sept 2012 AoA(LM)/Feb 2012 WL /Sept 2011 CSR /
Dec 2010 ASMu/Sept 2009 ASMu / Sept 2008 Pop/ May 2007 POR/
Oct-Nov 2006 Pop /Sept-Oct 2005 Pop/Sept 2003 CBR /May 1994 off site
NC State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #2286
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Rides View Post
IKR?! Ugh it was totally hard for me to walk away from that bowl of starchy goodness. I quickly dumped it in the dogs dish and let him enjoy before I fell to pieces!
Whew.

I never intended to do this "low carb", but ultimately I had to give up pastas and breads for quite a good amount of time before I could trust them again. Er, trust *myself* again. I found the Dave's *lite* Killer Bread, and it's pretty tasty, and the WW math works in your favor when you have two slices. I use that every so often, and pasta on occasion. Guess I can't still trust myself totally, eh?

Quote:
He could really stand to lose some weight; he has sleep apnea and the doc suggested one treatment would be to lose 30 lbs. He's not buying it though.
DH has a good bit left to lose, but I started noticing differences in his snoring at around 30 lbs. He uses his machine, of course, but sometimes he's reading in bed and accidentally falls asleep, and I just don't hear the "old" level of snoring anymore. When he was diagnosed, the tech said "well, we didn't quite have to go into your room and call 911", but during the test he stopped breathing an average of 115 times per hour, and his doctor said that he had the worst case they'd seen in at least 5 years. He recently got to take the "hurricane level" of his VPAP (variable) down to a much more comfortable level.

Weight loss can and does work to reduce apnea. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State View Post
Down .8 this week back to a total of 39.6 lb lost.....
I'm ignoring the last part and saying woohoo!!!! about your loss.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #2287
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Aargh. Help.

Argh. I am truly annoyed with my WI yesterday, and could use some feedback. I have to figure out what I should be doing differently this week, and I would love to access your collected wisdom!

I JUST posted that I was pleased with the way I was finding things I could do to manage my intake. Pride goeth before a fall—I was up 0.8 yesterday, which isn’t bad, but I was expecting it to go in the other direction, hoping/expecting around a lb.

I was so “good” last week. I finished the week with 52 spare points—because I earned enough APs. I ate most of my APs and kept the weeklies. I wasn’t hungry, seriously. I am filling in with fruit and veg. So am I not eating enough?? I am good on protein, reducing my carbs because they are such point hogs, but still having bread, rice, pasta every day. (I find I am satisfied with a half-cup of rice or pasta—if a cup is a serving and a slice of bread is a serving, I get 3-5 servings of carb a day regularly, with more on “splurge” days. I also continue to like carby snacks, and usually use points every day for a WW 2 pt bar.)

Last night I went home and had potato chips. I was so grumpy. I rarely do that kind of stuff, can usually pick myself up and move on, but I felt like a sulky child. (I did weigh them, but haven’t revisited yesterday’s tracker yet.) I really don’t feel confident eating MORE, but maybe I should? My activity is fairly light—walking the dog, and sometimes I count housework. (Because I don’t do it that often! ) I just walk every day, so the points add up. It’s not like I’m training for a marathon and need carbs, or protein for my bulgy muscles or anything.

I also had a bad week for sleep. I started a new job and there aren’t enough hours in the day. I am getting maybe six hours a night, almost always broken. So I am wondering if I’m not getting enough sleep to lose weight. Maybe I should focus on getting better rest and not mess with my food?

I know I’m supposed to be in it for the long haul, and I am…it’s almost 6 mos now, and I’ve been pleased with my 28 lb loss (oh, right, that’s 27 now ). But I have this TRIP coming up in 6 weeks or so, and I had it in my head that I wanted to lose a total of 34 by then (a milestone number). And now I’m further from that goal, not closer.

More sleep? More food? (But not more potato chips, right??) Less food? WHAAAT?

1st trip May/June 06
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #2288
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Salt and sleep. The chips might have derailed you with water weight but the bad sleep did you in. Both DH and I are sodium sensitive and we have to be very careful about getting in the water day before weighin and about what we eat. And there is something about too little sleep.

Not to mention if you are of the right age group, is there a hormonal reason you had such an urge for chips last night? If so, that could be messing with you as well.

Gains happen. You will get through it stronger than before! With those factors involved, I personally would keep going with what I was doing, and be interested to see next week's numbers. The scale gives us what we deserve, just not always WHEN we expect it!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #2289
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Salt may explain it, Molly, thanks. I forgot we had a deli rotisserie chicken for supper Tuesday--fairly virtuous (gave the skin to dh!), but I always taste the salt in that, even though I never add any. The chips didn't come until after the weigh in! I was so grumpy last night I thought "hey, is this PMS?" but I am in my "menopausal year" (did you know you have one of those in store?) and it's quite unlikely, though not impossible, that PMS is the culprit. That and sleep. Got at least 7 hrs last night (not unbroken, thanks pup...) but 7 hrs nonetheless.

1st trip May/June 06
Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #2290
robinb
DIS Veteran

Hi there! I'm popping in to say that I have a latte in my future! I lost .8 pounds . It's moving in the right direction .
Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #2291
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Down .6 this week, but still haven't gotten back to my pre-beach-trip weight in May. Working on it thought!

I read an excellent article this morning called "How Carbs Can Trigger Food Cravings." That describes me to a T. I HAVE to avoid carbs in the morning or else I will feel unsatisfied all day and want to eat. Carbs are fine for me in the evening because then I go to bed, but not in the morning. Carbs turn on my "gotta eat something junky NOW" switch. So I feel much better about eating my protein breakfast and saving that half a whole grain bagel for the evening.

If any of you are having trouble with wanting to eat, watch when you eat carbs, and try to put them off until later in the day.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #2292
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Down .6 this week, but still haven't gotten back to my pre-beach-trip weight in May. Working on it thought!
You'll get there {{hugs}}. I just removed all my Spring Break weight *sigh*. I gain fast but lose slow.

Quote:
If any of you are having trouble with wanting to eat, watch when you eat carbs, and try to put them off until later in the day.
Do you have the same problem when you also eat protein with your carbs? I find that some protein "buffers" the carbs for me. For instance I can't have an english muffin alone, but I can have one with an egg.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #2293
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Salt may explain it, Molly, thanks. I forgot we had a deli rotisserie chicken for supper Tuesday--fairly virtuous (gave the skin to dh!), but I always taste the salt in that, even though I never add any.
Funny that I got the timing of the chips wrong but still knew there was salt involved. OK I didn't know, it was totally lucky! Otherwise I was way off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Hi there! I'm popping in to say that I have a latte in my future! I lost .8 pounds . It's moving in the right direction .
Woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Down .6 this week...
Yay!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #2294
RapunzelsBFF
Earning My Ears

When I weighed myself today for weigh in I officially hit a loss of 20 pounds! 21.1 to be exact. I'm so proud of myself. Next Friday will be exactly three months on WW and it seems like the time has just flown by. On past attempts to lose weight I would have quit long before now. It's so exciting to work so hard and see results. Can't wait to see my progress for the next few months as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #2295
NC State
DIS Veteran

I have been spinning my wheels since December (gaining). I finally thought I got to do something. So I have signed up "free" to myfitnesspal.com and I have started tracking on-line with WW. After my first day I see that I'm eating too much fruit. My sugar intake was well over on what it should be. Based on my on-line tracker I had 5 points left over where on paper I show only 2 pts left. I'm going to take in less fruit and more vegetables. I can see where it's going to hurt me today because I can't go to the gym. I'm going to try this for a week to see how well I do Wednesday night.

Oct 5-10, 2014 Pop /Wonder cruise Apr 26-May 1, 2015/
Dream cruise Sept 8-12, 2013
/Feb, 2013 Pop /Sept 2012 AoA(LM)/Feb 2012 WL /Sept 2011 CSR /
Dec 2010 ASMu/Sept 2009 ASMu / Sept 2008 Pop/ May 2007 POR/
Oct-Nov 2006 Pop /Sept-Oct 2005 Pop/Sept 2003 CBR /May 1994 off site
NC State is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: