Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
jenhum
Earning My Ears

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a pirate's trip for me! A Princess Pirate's first trip to Disney

Ok, I'm going to try out this trip report thing! I really enjoyed reading them before our trip, and I'm in full on Post Disney Depression, so here goes nothing. Bear with me, as I'm not sure I know exactly how to do this.

Cast of Characters:

My mom and dad- the best parents and grandparents one could ever wish for. I'm a recently divorced single mom and they wanted to make sure that my daughter could still have a great trip like this before she gets too much older! They are both very young feeling and acting grandparents, and best of all- they completely funded the trip and let me plan everything! They actually like it that way!

Myself- hmm, it's hard to talk about yourself. I'm 30, love being a mom, and I'm a super type A control freak planner! My style is full on commando touring, but I also have cystic fibrosis and my body dosen't always cooperate with my plans. I had planned on perhaps getting a GAC or even just a wheelchair at WDW, but as usual I convinced myself that I would be fine . And I was really, although I probably could've used the wheelchair by day 5 if I'm being honest. But I made it, and only slightly worse for the wear .

And the star of our trip- Maddie, my DD 4.5, who is such a fantastic little girl. She is a sweet little rule following kind hearted girl. Her first movie obsession, from age 2-3 was Toy Story. We did all things cowgirl, and watched all 3 movies countless times. Somewhere around 3.5 we switched to Lion King, and that remained the most important movie in her life until about 2 months before our trip, when she saw Peter Pan. So now we are pirates and Peter Pan lovers, although the Lion King love lives on through her vast collection of stuffed lions, most importantly Simba, who goes everywhere with her. Ok, enough. I could talk about her all day!

For our trip, we drove down (from SC, about 9 hours) on 4/13, stayed in an offsite hotel the first night, and then checked into AoA Sunday morning. We stayed for 5 days, which was both too short and the perfect length. So. Did I forget anything?? Tomorrow I'll start in on our first day- Animal Kingdom! Thanks for reading!
jenhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
jenhum
Earning My Ears

Downtown Disney and checking in to AoA
Animal Kingdom- Simba Simba Simba!
Epcot- a princess kind of day!
Magic Kingdom, Day 1- Fantasyland and Tomorrowland
Pirates & Pals...aka the best night of Maddie's life
Magic Kingdom, Day 2- wild rides and Be Our Guest
Hollywood Studios
Wrap it Up

Last edited by jenhum; 04-28-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: adding link
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Great start... Where at in SC do you live? We are from Prosperity. Nice to see fellow Disney lovers from SC!
Second Star to the Right And Straight On till Morning
April 2006- Offsite DH ( was BF) first time
December 2005- Offsite ( Engaged at Magic Kingdom)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-Disney All Star Sports ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012-1 night at Port Orleans FQ
September 2012- 1 night at Art of Animation
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort

Marsheliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
nlgmcr69
Earning My Ears

I can't wait to read your TR. We are taking my DD on her first trip ever next month and she is 4.5 so I am looking forward to reading your report since our daughters are close in age!
nlgmcr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
jenhum
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
Great start... Where at in SC do you live? We are from Prosperity. Nice to see fellow Disney lovers from SC!
I'm in Greenville! Lived here about 2 years and I love, love love it. Such a cool little town. We are actually moving to PA in a few months, and I am desperately going to miss it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgmcr69 View Post
I can't wait to read your TR. We are taking my DD on her first trip ever next month and she is 4.5 so I am looking forward to reading your report since our daughters are close in age!
4.5 was a pretty great age, IMO! She was old enough to avoid meltdowns for the most part, but young enough that the magic was still incredibly magical!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
jenhum
Earning My Ears

Downtown Disney and checking into AoA

We just got back from a FANTASTIC week at Disney and I feel like I want to blog about it because I have zero memory and I don't want to forget anything! This trip is brought to you by MomMom and Papa, also known as the world's best grandparents (not too shabby as parents either). Maddie knew we were going to Disney, but didn't know when.

happy as a clam on our long car trip in MomMom's "movie theater car" (she has a dvd player)

We actually told her that we were going to see her Papa (which was true- we just didn't say where and she assumed PA!). We left early Saturday morning, picked Dad up from the airport in Orlando around 6:30, and went to our hotel (we stayed offsite our first night). Needless to say, she was pretty excited to find out that we were actually in FL! She did some serious jumping up and down and grinning from ear to ear when we got to our hotel and told her that we were going to Animal Kingdom in the morning.

good thing she can't read

We went over to check out Downtown Disney and grab some dinner at about 7:30 Saturday night. Probably not the best night for DD, it was packed!!! We made our way down to Earl of Sandwich, but the line was insane and didn't seem to be moving very quickly, so we went with plan B and found Wolfgang Puck Express, where we had a really yummy dinner. Maddie was beside herself not only to be in Disney World, but also to see her Papa!

After that we had to check out the world's largest Disney store, where we bought some (pink!) mickey ears and saw tick tock croc! Bless her heart, we literally toured a very crowded DD for less than an hour, and she already thought that Disney World was the greatest place ever! Little did she know what was in store for the rest of the week!

After that it was bedtime! We were up early the next morning so we could go check into our hotel- Art of Animation!- and then head out to Animal Kingdom. Art of Animation was amazing from the second we pulled up. Maddie absolutely loved it! Obviously, we were in the Lion King section.

Yay!

check in side of the lobby

other side of the lobby- so cool!

the first thing Maddie saw when we pulled up...that's all she needed to see to know she loved it!

Check in was quick (I had already done online check in). Our room wasn't ready yet, so we left our luggage with bell services and hopped on a bus to Animal Kingdom! While we were waiting for my dad to park the car, a CM walked up and offered Maddie several Simba stickers- such a little thing but it made her SO excited and it was just right away a magical Disney day!

I know the bus service varies a lot from person to person at every resort, but we had fantastic luck with the buses. I think we waited once for 15 minutes, but every other time it was less than 5 minutes and we never had to stand.

Next...we're off to Animal Kingdom!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I am in Love the panoramic pics from AoA!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
jenny-pooh
Mouseketeer

AoA looks amazing! I can't wait to see Maddie's reaction to the parks! I have a soon to be 4 year old DS that I really want to take soon and seeing Maddie's excitement makes me want to even more. There is a special kind of magic at that age I think. I can't wait for more!
2014 POR
jenny-pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
jenny-pooh
Mouseketeer

AoA looks amazing! I can't wait to see Maddie's reaction to the parks! I have a soon to be 4 year old DS that I really want to take soon and seeing Maddie's excitement makes me want to even more. There is a special kind of magic at that age I think. I can't wait for more!
2014 POR
jenny-pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

I love it!
I'm hoping to take DS again when he's about 4 1/2.
POFQ Apr 13-20 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Loving you TR!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Oh wow, you are super close to us.. only about an hour.. Hate you are moving... Maddie is so cute too, I have a 4.5 year old boy!
Second Star to the Right And Straight On till Morning
April 2006- Offsite DH ( was BF) first time
December 2005- Offsite ( Engaged at Magic Kingdom)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-Disney All Star Sports ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012-1 night at Port Orleans FQ
September 2012- 1 night at Art of Animation
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort

Marsheliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

I can already tell from what you've written that you had an amazing time and I can't wait to read more x
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #14
FlaNani
Mouseketeer

Great start on your TR! Can't wait to read about the rest of your week!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Came over from the April 2013 thread! Great start! I love the AOA pictures. We went to visit there on our trip and it is really an adorable resort.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs UPCOMING TRIP: April '14-Pop Century
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: