Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #31
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

LOVE the Williamsburg updates! How lucky your children are that you and your DW take them to places like this! I think it's really, really important for children to see the places where the history of their country took place! My parents dragged us everywhere when we were overseas (and here) and even though at the time I complained loudly, now I really appreciate having those experiences! I'm sure yours will appreciate these moments as well! Your pictures are really lovely, aren't you loving that camera?

Oh, and good idea about the hotel by DLR, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a ton of money for one night's sleep, especially on your own!

Glad your power is back on and things are returning to normal there - hopefully the rest of the country is also getting some more reasonable weather. It's beautiful up here right now!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #32
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu03 View Post
LOVE the Williamsburg updates! How lucky your children are that you and your DW take them to places like this! I think it's really, really important for children to see the places where the history of their country took place! My parents dragged us everywhere when we were overseas (and here) and even though at the time I complained loudly, now I really appreciate having those experiences! I'm sure yours will appreciate these moments as well! Your pictures are really lovely, aren't you loving that camera?

Oh, and good idea about the hotel by DLR, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a ton of money for one night's sleep, especially on your own!

Glad your power is back on and things are returning to normal there - hopefully the rest of the country is also getting some more reasonable weather. It's beautiful up here right now!
I'm LOVING my camera. Of course, the more I use it, the more I want to get additional lenses and accesories that are expensive! For instance, after taking firework pictures, I realized I need a remote shutter button to avoid the shaking the cameras. Don't think my OCD is a good mix for taking up photography as a hobby.

So far, the kids are too young to mind visiting places like Williamsburg. They enjoyed it quite a bit especially since they have so many hands on activities. I'm sure the eye rolls and groans will be there in the coming years once they become "too cool" to hang out with their parents. In another year or so, I would like to take them to Philly for some educational/historical tours!

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #33
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

General Approach and Outline to My Travel Planning

As much as I have been looking forward to the upcoming visit to DLR, I have had to occasionally temper my excitement and expectations mainly because I know I won’t have enough time to do everything I want. Ideally, I also would have liked to have toured DLR at a more leisurely pace to give myself a chance to really soak in the atmosphere and enjoy the scenery, but I know that won’t be possible either.

So, my general priorities are:

1. To try as many rides and attractions I can fit in.
2. To prioritize rides/attractions that are not available at WDW or those that are considered to be superior to their counterparts at WDW.
3. To visit both DL and DCA parks.
4. To snap as many pictures as I can.
5. And to have fun!!!

So how much time do I exactly have to tour both parks? Here’s what my travel itinerary looks like.

Tuesday, October 16th
Arrive at San Diego Airport (from BWI) at 12:05pm
Scurry on over to the Amtrak Station in downtown SD by cab
Depart on Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner at 1:40pm
Arrive at Anaheim Station at 3:35pm
Cab it over to DLR entrance and enter DCA (ideally by 4:30pm)
***Tour DCA*** until closing time at 8:00pm

Wednesday, October 17th
***Tour DL*** beginning at opening time at 9:00am to closing time at 8:00pm
(May or may not park-hop to DCA during the day depending on how much I get done on Tuesday)
Depart on Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner at 10:48pm
Arrive in San Diego at 12:50am (just in time to start my conference activities on Thursday!)

Soooo, at best I’m looking at a total of 14.5 hours. I was really hoping that Mickey’s Halloween Party would be happening on Tuesday which would have given me 3 extra hours! But, the party for that week is scheduled for Monday.

At first, it didn’t feel quite right thinking about purchasing a full day admission for my arrival day and yet only being able to spend 3 and a half hours in the park. But when I laid out my “itemized” touring plan, it turned out that those 3.5 hours could make a HUGE difference on how much I could get done. I’ll post those detailed plans in the upcoming weeks. I’ll admit that it is a very ambitious plan so when you do see something that’s completely unrealistic, please yell it out.

I’m also at the whim of all of the idiosyncrasies that come with air and train travel and even a small delay during my arrival day travels could very easily ruin my hopes of doing any meaningful touring for Tuesday afternoon/evening. And if that happens, I have to pack everything into one day. All I can do is hope that everything will fall in line and on-time for once which hasn’t happened to me in awhile. For the same reasons, I don’t think I will be pre-purchasing my park admission tickets but will purchase them at the gates. I don’t want to be holding on to a 2-day pass then arrive extremely late on Tuesday evening.

Next Up: What I am and am not looking forward to traveling without my family

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
rdkeim
Mouseketeer

Loving your pre-trip report! We'll be in Anaheim Oct. 13-17 staying at the Candy Cane Inn. When we leave Anaheim, we'll spend 2 nights in San Diego. Hoping for manageable crowds. As of now we aren't planning on going to the Halloween party on Mon. night. They'll close DL early and I've heard that causes crowds in Calif. Adventure. I'm trying to keep expectations low and just enjoy what we're able to do.

Also loved hearing about Williamsburg and seeing your pictures. It makes me want to travel there for Independence Day!
rdkeim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #35
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkeim View Post
Loving your pre-trip report! We'll be in Anaheim Oct. 13-17 staying at the Candy Cane Inn. When we leave Anaheim, we'll spend 2 nights in San Diego. Hoping for manageable crowds. As of now we aren't planning on going to the Halloween party on Mon. night. They'll close DL early and I've heard that causes crowds in Calif. Adventure. I'm trying to keep expectations low and just enjoy what we're able to do.

Also loved hearing about Williamsburg and seeing your pictures. It makes me want to travel there for Independence Day!
Always great to meet another DISer who will be traveling around the same time as I do! When I was researching hotels, Candy Cane Inn looked really good. And yes, I'm also hoping that the crowds will be on the lower side which would made my touring so much easier.

I did a San Diego trip last month with the kids and my parents and we had a blast - DW couldn't get the time off from work. I did try to convince my parents (and DW) to go on a side trip to DL at the time but they weren't too interested. Anyway, I did document our SD trip as a mini-TR in my last TR if you're interested in perusing, and it starts at post #268 on page 18. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....914350&page=18

Thanks for following along!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #36
solana131
DIS Veteran

Looks like a good plan for the time you have. It will be great! You have a good mindset going in and you know there will be some things you miss...but it will give you a good basis for the next trip with the family. And give us a great TR too

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
solana131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #37
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Looks like a good plan for the time you have. It will be great! You have a good mindset going in and you know there will be some things you miss...but it will give you a good basis for the next trip with the family. And give us a great TR too
The challenge will be "stretching out" the 1 1/2 day trip into a worthy TR! I may have to give an hour by hour postings which means I'll need hundreds of photos.

Your trip is only a week away!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #38
solana131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
The challenge will be "stretching out" the 1 1/2 day trip into a worthy TR! I may have to give an hour by hour postings which means I'll need hundreds of photos.
Well, I'm sure you are up for the challenge! And you can start with the train ride, because I bet there will be some great pictures on that

Quote:
Your trip is only a week away!
Yay! I can't wait. I'm really starting to feel guilty about leaving my little guy behind, but I think I will get over it quickly when I see how hot and crowded it is. He would be miserable and I would be miserable trying to keep him happy and comfortable. Plus, our whole plan revolves around both AM and PM EMHs, that's hard to do with a 5 year old.

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
solana131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #39
NStramler
Mouseketeer

The one thing that worries me is... where are you going to put your luggage when you get to Disneyland? I have seen no mention of checking into a hotel (which will take precious time from DL) and leaving the luggage.. then where will it be while you are at DL before you head back to San Diego?

As far as your son... easy way to solve that problem! Bring the wife and kids to Disneyland... you can enjoy a day and a half with them and they can enjoy Disneyland while you are in San Diego!!! Would also take care of that luggage problem!!!!!!!!!
NStramler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #40
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NStramler View Post
The one thing that worries me is... where are you going to put your luggage when you get to Disneyland? I have seen no mention of checking into a hotel (which will take precious time from DL) and leaving the luggage.. then where will it be while you are at DL before you head back to San Diego?
Sorry, I forgot to include that detail in my plans. When I leave my house, I will have one duffle bag packed that will have all of clothing etc for the 4 days of conference in SD. I will also pack a backpack that will have my toiletries, one day worth of clothing (for the 17th), my camera and iPad. Bottomline, my backpack will be light.

The eventual hotel I will check into in SD once I return from DL is only two blocks away from the train station. So, on my way to the train station, I am going to swing by the hotel to check the duffle bag with the front desk. Then, I can take the train and head straight to DL with just my backpack, and will tour DCA with it. Check into hotel after park closes. The next day I will check out of the hotel, and tour DL with my backpack in tow and I can head striaght to the train station from DL.

I'm used to hauling a lot more in my backpack from our WDW trip because of all of the kids' snacks, extra clothing, diapers, diaper wipes, water bottles. This will be significantly lighter!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Well, I'm sure you are up for the challenge! And you can start with the train ride, because I bet there will be some great pictures on that
Yay! I can't wait. I'm really starting to feel guilty about leaving my little guy behind, but I think I will get over it quickly when I see how hot and crowded it is. He would be miserable and I would be miserable trying to keep him happy and comfortable. Plus, our whole plan revolves around both AM and PM EMHs, that's hard to do with a 5 year old.
Yup, will be clicking away on my camera from the train! The train also has wifi so I could do some live posts from the train with my iPad as well.

You're right, trying to do mostly AM+PM EMHs would not go well for a 5 year old. In any case, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #42
NStramler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to include that detail in my plans. When I leave my house, I will have one duffle bag packed that will have all of clothing etc for the 4 days of conference in SD. I will also pack a backpack that will have my toiletries, one day worth of clothing (for the 17th), my camera and iPad. Bottomline, my backpack will be light.

The eventual hotel I will check into in SD once I return from DL is only two blocks away from the train station. So, on my way to the train station, I am going to swing by the hotel to check the duffle bag with the front desk. Then, I can take the train and head straight to DL with just my backpack, and will tour DCA with it. Check into hotel after park closes. The next day I will check out of the hotel, and tour DL with my backpack in tow and I can head striaght to the train station from DL.

I'm used to hauling a lot more in my backpack from our WDW trip because of all of the kids' snacks, extra clothing, diapers, diaper wipes, water bottles. This will be significantly lighter!
You might also consider the option of renting a locker at Disneyland then if you do not want to carry it all with you. Just put the things in the locker you will not need and that way you have room in the back pack to carry all the goodies you buy... I noticed there is no comment about leaving the wife and kids at Disney while you go to the conference...
NStramler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #43
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NStramler View Post
You might also consider the option of renting a locker at Disneyland then if you do not want to carry it all with you. Just put the things in the locker you will not need and that way you have room in the back pack to carry all the goodies you buy... I noticed there is no comment about leaving the wife and kids at Disney while you go to the conference...
Thanks for the locker idea at DL. I think that will be my back up plan if my plane gets delayed and I won't have time to swing by the hotel before catching the train.

A couple of weeks ago, I did float the idea of DW being with the kids to DLR while I'm in SD, but she gave me a resounding "no-thanks". She's not as big of a Disney fan as I am so she was not interested in going to a Disney park twice in one year and she definitly did not want to be touring the parks by herself with two kids.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #44
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Mini TR - Air and Space Museum (Udvar-Hazy)

Living in the DC area, we are definitely spoiled with all of the museums we have easy access to. Whenever DW is working a weekend, I frequently take the kids to the Simthsonian Natural History, American History, or Air and Space Museum although I do try to avoid going during the crowded tourist seasons. During January or February, you can easily streetpark your car right in front of the museum for free for three hours, and head on in to a nearly empty museum.

Today, with my father-in-law and brother-in-law visiting, we went to the "other" Smithsonian Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport and I thought I'd share some pics with you. While most visitors know about THE Air and Space Museum located in the heart of DC on the National Mall, fewer people are aware of the Udvar-Hazy Museum. And the kids and I LOVE this one far more than the one on the Mall. They converted an Airplane Hangar into a museum, and packed it in with all kinds of aircrafts.

Every Halloween, they host a party for kids with trick or treat stations and numerous meet-and-greet stations including Star Wars characters! The museum also frequently serves as a filming location for movies with most recently, the third Transformers being filmed here.

The highlight of this museum for most is the space shuttle Discovery which has resided here since April of 2012.

Prior to that, it was the shuttle Enterprise that took up the same space in the hangar but that one was moved to NYC. The transport of the Discovery took place during the week we were in Disney last April when they piggybacked it on an airplane, and made multiple fly-bys over the DC skies for 45 minutes! This was the first time we were visiting the museum since Discovery "landed" here. My only wish is that they would let the visitors somehow enter the shuttle but I understand the concerns for the wear and tear associated with that.

We also caught an Imax movie about the Hubble telescope. Prior to that, we went up the observation tower. Since the museum is right next to the Dulles airport, the tower gives you a great view of the runways and the kids love watching planes take off. They also patch the speakers in the tower to the actual radio chatter at Dulles.

We also got to see the Enola Gay, the Black Bird and one of the concords.

If you're ever in town, I would recommend this one!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #45
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Pros and Cons of a Solo Travel

Traveling by myself for business or conferences is not new to me. Between the heavy work schedules of DW and I, it’s been very difficult to line up our schedules for any reason and we’re lucky if we have a year when both of us have Christmas off. So, needless to say, whenever either of us have to go to a conference, it’s usually solo.

Traveling by myself for personal reasons are much less frequent. I have gone on weekend trips with a few friends a couple of times (including the upcoming Vegas trip). But this will be the very first time I will be taking a vacation-type trip completely by myself even if it's a short sidetrip from my conference. No friends. And more significantly, without my family (DW, DD5, and DS2). To tell you the truth, part of me feels a little guilty not being able to bring my kids with me to DLR. I’m trying to justify the visit to DLR as a “scouting” mission.

I did suggest to DW that she could take a vacation week and bring the kids to SD during my conference, but she preferred to use that vacation time during the holidays which I can’t blame her. Plus, she probably wouldn’t get much relaxation out of it since I would have to attend conference activities all day for most of the time we’re there and not be able to spend much time with them. Also, she raised a good point that since DD will be starting in a new school in first grade, it would be better if we didn’t have to take her out of school so early in the school year when she’s just getting acclimated to her new environment and teachers – she attended kindergarten at a different school last year. Anyway, all of that was to help me ease the feeling of guilt of taking this side trip to DL by myself. Not being able to share and watch my kids’ reactions to the Happiest Place on Earth is obviously the biggest minus for this solo trip.

I am not so much worried about the aspects of going on rides by myself or sitting down for dinners by myself. Between the many trips I’ve taken for conferences over the years, I’ve gotten very comfortable dining at restaurants by myself every now and then. I’ll be honest that there will be a handful of attractions that I will not be going on by myself because it would make me feel self-conscious. I really can’t see myself riding the teacups or Winnie the Pooh ride all by my lonesome! And of course, I most likely will not be getting many pictures with me in them.

The biggest pros for going solo to DLR can be summed up in two words: mobility and flexibility. I fully plan on moving from point A to point B at a very brisk pace. Actually, now that I think of it, I wouldn’t be surprised if I find my self jogging or running between attractions. I won’t have to worry about a stroller, “potty breaks” or nap times. I can fully utilize the single rider lines. My breakfasts and lunches will be very much on-the-go! All of this gives me hope that I will be able to maximize my short time at DLR.

Next Up: Prioritizing the rides and attractions at DLR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: