Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
heather13
DIS Veteran

odd "Mara" question

Where exactly is the Mara located? And is there a big sign anywhere that says "Mara"? and what kind of food do they have (how is it?)?

I ask b/c DD's nickname is Mara, and I thought if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle maybe we could stop by there on our AK day and get a picture of my Mara under or beside the "Mara" sign - I think she'd get a kick out of it since her name isn't usually seen just anywhere short of a Kenyan map!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Mara is located at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Jambo House. I am positive it is by the pool.
If I do remember, there is a big sign that says Mara on it.

I did not have the best experience with Mara. The food wasn't the greatest and tasted like cardboard. They have a few different items that have an african theme to them and then they just have reguar old Disney food (pizza, burgers, etc.).
LifeIsDis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
purple figment
DIS Veteran

From the lobby of AKL (Jambo House) go downstairs (elevator or stairs) to Jiko and Boma Restaurants. You'll see a set of doors next to Jiko. Go out the doors, turn left and follow the path which curves past the windows of Boma and you'll see Mara ahead of you. The pool will be to your right as you follow the path.

There is signage where you could take your daughter's picture.

Mara is the CS restaurant for AKL. We've picked up yummy zebra domes, but not eaten there.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
heather13
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I'm assuming we'd be allowed the go by the pool even if we're not staying there?
Sounds like we won't be staying for long if the food isn't great
Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
purple figment
DIS Veteran

No problem with the pool and you won't really be that close to it. There are lots of hedges and rock formations between the path and the pool. We walked around some of those rocks because we were also looking for hidden Mickeys and saw the pool.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Don't worry too much about the quality of the food at Mara. We ate there almost every day for a week (breakfasts and lunch) and had no complaints at all. And they sell zebra domes!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

We ate at Mara twice on our last trip and found it good. We had the flatbreads which were nice and fresh.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=7

there are a number of viewing areas at AKL/AKV to look at the animals. there are a lot of cool details about the AKL resort - definitely worth a look.

you can wander by the pool but see the sticky for rules about using another resort's pool.

my limited experience with mara was kind of boring. nothing all that unique there. i'd recommend making a reservation at boma (buffet breakfast or dinner) or jiko (fancy dinner) and arriving early to take pics with the mara sign...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

You won't have any problem getting to "The Mara" at AKL. While its listed as a "poolside" CS, as others have said, there are trees and rock walls separating it from the pool, so you won't feel like you are intruding.

We found the food at Mara to be quite good in early June. We had the African styled- flatbreads (sort of like pizza, but with a twist)- and they were delicious!

AKL itself is a wonderfully themed resort, and the savannah viewing areas are really nice as well. The bus ride to/from AK to the resort is only about 5-7 minutes, so you shouldn't have any problem getting there or back!

Have fun, and great idea- your DD has a beautiful name!

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

There are also a few signs on posts that might be pretty easy to get a picture with.

If you do go to the Mara, try the Zebra Domes! They're a really yummy dessert. You can also get the Zebra Domes at Boma, but AKL is the only place that I know of that has them. They also have paw print brownies (a brownie with a powered sugar paw print dusted on top); it's like the one from Kusafari.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
heather13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12 View Post

Have fun, and great idea- your DD has a beautiful name!
Awww, thanks! we like it

Zebra dome dessert is a great idea! Perfect once we leave the park, head to AKL for a surprise at the end of the day.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Disneytigergirl
The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all

A different question about Mara

I was going to make a new thread, but I'll try this first. Can someone tell me If the flatbreads at Mara have maraneria sauce on them? I am staying there next month and do not like red sauce on my pizza. I am assuming if there is red sauce on the pizza it would not be possible for them to make me one with out, but I would like to know other pepoles experiences.

Thanks so much!

1999 contemporary, 2000 Yacht Club, 2001 Disneyland Hotel, 2003 Disney Wonder, 2005 Disney Magic, 2010 ASMu, 2011 ASMu, 2012 AKLV, 2013 BC, 2013-14 OKW, 2014 SSR

Given enough statistics, I could rule the World

Baseball is like Church: Many Attend, Few Understand
Disneytigergirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather13 View Post
Zebra dome dessert is a great idea! Perfect once we leave the park, head to AKL for a surprise at the end of the day.
depending on DD's age, be aware that the zebra domes are made with a liqueur (amarula, IIRC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneytigergirl View Post
Can someone tell me If the flatbreads at Mara have maraneria sauce on them?
pretty sure some do and some don't. the chicken flatbread had a pesto sauce like this when i was there last...

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1348

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
heather13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
depending on DD's age, be aware that the zebra domes are made with a liqueur (amarula, IIRC).
Okay, she's 6. So I guess that's not a dessert option after all.

Thank you for the clarification - can you imagine the looks of the staff if I ordered one for each kid (my other DD will be 4)?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

I don't think the food at Mara is too bad - actually I really enjoy a few of the options as you can't find them everywhere. I loved the falafel and the African stew - nice changes for counter service food. I also had a flatbread option there that I am sure didn't have marinara sauce at all - I think it was chicken and artichoke may be but may be getting confused with SSR - anyway - sure there is an option without marinara sauce. It is nothing extraordinary but it is neither terrible IMO.

I did find it hard to locate on first try though - but as others have said if you find the pool you'll find Mara.

Enjoy!

* 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: